Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

CJSwiss posted:

Nobody in my theater laughed at any point in RotS except for the humorous moments so, and there were plenty of people gasping and crying during Order 66 etc. so....?

I wonder if this is an age difference thing. I was 10 when TPM came out and everyone I knew liked the prequels all the way through. Maybe not as much as the OT, but they were definitely enjoyed (edit: the only time I remember anyone when I was a kid explicitly knocking TPM was in comparison to The Matrix). My mom, the only "old" person I knew who watched Star Wars, didn't care for them but it was because her favorite character is Han and she thought the prequel characters were too dry. But I'm 25 now and whenever I talk to friends or people at work or anyone in my age range about Star Wars, the general opinion is "I didn't like Jar Jar but the rest was pretty fun."

Younger people like the prequels more, but the popular consensus is definitely that they are inferior to the OT if not outright bad movies (they are).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

From JJ

Hunk of Junk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3C7lUfVIOa4
:derp:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The use of stock trailer music isn't doing this teaser any favors. What are they looking at at the end, there?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

It's the Tumbler from Nolan's Batman movies.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TheNakedFantastic posted:

Younger people like the prequels more, but the popular consensus is definitely that they are inferior to the OT if not outright bad movies (they are).

Uh oh

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

We are the Jedi, perpetuating the same cycle over and over again until someone in the thread becomes Vader and kills us all.

Is SMG Vader? I lost track of my own analogy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

We are the Jedi, perpetuating the same cycle over and over again until someone in the thread becomes Vader and kills us all.

The prequels are Vader. There is good in them, and Obi-Wan (popular consensus) was wrong about the whole "more machine than man" (excessive use of CGI) and "twisted and evil" parts. And lies to itself about the "betrayed and murdered" part, too. This lovely political cartoon of a paragraph works better than I expected.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Bongo Bill posted:

The use of stock trailer music isn't doing this teaser any favors. What are they looking at at the end, there?

Frame this loving post. :lol:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Errr...joke post?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oh. I haven't yet ruled out the possibility that I'm stupid.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
This whole Abrams-Snyder back and forth is so weird.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

To be fair, in their last movie outing, Batman did steal the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Batman as a bounty hunter would be sweet.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don't care about the Batman part. I'm geeking out over the idea of exploring the Millennium Falcon more. I'm suddenly super excited they built it. New hatches and areas, flesh out that this is a real ship.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's loving fantastic that he's going all practical sets. Keep CGI down to a minimum as much as you can and this will be goddamn perfect.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vintersorg posted:

It's loving fantastic that he's going all practical sets. Keep CGI down to a minimum as much as you can and this will be goddamn perfect.

Good CGI is as good, if not better than practical effects. If you meant lovely CGI, then sure, I agree they should focus on not making the movie look lovely.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Isn't this exactly the reaction the low-key PR campaign described in Carboard Box A's post is meant to elicit?

I'd like it to be a great film and a throwback to the original film's feel. It looks like they're working to nail the feel but that doesn't mean it'll be a great film.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Isn't this exactly the reaction the low-key PR campaign described in Carboard Box A's post is meant to elicit?

I'd like it to be a great film and a throwback to the original film's feel. It looks like they're working to nail the feel but that doesn't mean it'll be a great film.

I'll settle for a pretty good one.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Abrams gets aesthetics. I'm pretty superficial so that will probably be enough to satisfy me.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Slugworth posted:

Good CGI is as good, if not better than practical effects. If you meant lovely CGI, then sure, I agree they should focus on not making the movie look lovely.

Thwomp posted:

Yup, it's really weird when people say "it's practical, this means it's good." It feels like it's a hypeword without a meaning - like "organic" or "natural" for movies. It's 100% handmade, no icky CGI here!

Anyhow, I think we all know it won't be a great film? At best, it's gonna be an A New Hope, not an Empire. Too much is riding on it to make it an Empire.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

meristem posted:

Yup, it's really weird when people say "it's practical, this means it's good." It feels like it's a hypeword without a meaning - like "organic" or "natural" for movies. It's 100% handmade, no icky CGI here!

Anyhow, I think we all know it won't be a great film? At best, it's gonna be an A New Hope, not an Empire. Too much is riding on it to make it an Empire.

That movie was our last hope.

No. There is another...five.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

meristem posted:

I don't know what's so weird about it? Most people are more familiar with making things with their hands than they are with creating things on their computer, so practical effects seem at the very least like the people behind them put effort into them. I think that's a perfectly understandable view, if incorrect. CGI is just a fat dude sitting in front of a computer, practical effects is Jim Hanson lovingly gluing mops and puppets together.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CJSwiss posted:

This whole Abrams-Snyder back and forth is so weird.

The original millennium falcon model makes a similar "cameo" in Blade Runner as part of one of the skyscrapers. Look carefully as they're landing on top of the LAPD.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Neo Rasa posted:

The original millennium falcon model makes a similar "cameo" in Blade Runner as part of one of the skyscrapers. Look carefully as they're landing on top of the LAPD.

I always knew that, but I've never been able to find it because I thought it was supposed to be one of the flying cars passing by. :monocle:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

meristem posted:

A New Hope is a great film, and how did Empire not have a shitload riding on it? Sequel to the at the time biggest or second biggest film of all time (depending on how you measure) and the centerpiece of the first great multimedia franchising engine of the modern era?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

meristem posted:

I think part of it is that when there are practical effects, it's a lot easier for the actors to be natural and you don't end up with everyone being as wooden as they were in the prequels. Well, that and this time around they'll have a director who don't think of the actors as props to fix in post.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 18, 2014

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Green screens made Ian McKellen cry when he was filming The Hobbit because they were so difficult to work with. Go practical effects.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rogue Elephant posted:

Green screens made Ian McKellen cry when he was filming The Hobbit because they were so difficult to work with. Go practical effects.

That's not what people sperg about when they talk about CGI.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rogue Elephant posted:

Theatre actors crying about green screen will never not be funny

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Slugworth posted:

You can use both together very effectively, like using CGI to erase guide wires or add extra little things to the physical model. Using only one or the other is silly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

zVxTeflon posted:

Theatre actors crying about green screen will never not be funny

Yeah let's just not do this shot that would be impossible without special effects, we'll just alter the director's vision for no reason other than it makes you feel bad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah let's just not do this shot that would be impossible without special effects, we'll just alter the director's vision for no reason other than it makes you feel bad.

I think the point is that theater actors do more with a whole lot less.

Prime example right here.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm just being sassy, I know it was more than it makes him feel bad, but that seriously was a really complicated and complex scene that needed CGI at least a little bit.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

You don't get it. If I had to rate the Star Wars movies I'd rate them in the following order:

1) Attack of the Clones
2) Transformers Dark Side of the Moon
3) Return of the Jedi
4) Revenge of the Sith
5) John Carter and the Movie about John Carter In Space
6) JJTrek09
7) A New Hope (Star Wars Episode IV)
8) Return of the Jedi
9) Empire Strikes Back
10) Buckaroo Bonzai and the Beings from the Eight Dimension
11) Transformers Too: Transform Harder
12) Titanic
13) Aliens vs Predator || Requiem for a Dream
14) Starship Troopers

That's also the order SMG prefers to view them in. I however prefer to watch them all at once on 12 simultaneous TVs. I know there's 13 movies, but I watch Transformers III The Wall and Return of the Jedi on one TV at once since they are basically shot for shot remakes. Which one is in the picture is really a subjective choice, I prefer the CGI landscapes of TFIIITHW to the terrible puppetry of ROTJ, so I usually put it in the main picture, except for the amazing new Jabba's Palace dance and the new Ewok song, at which point I switch it to the main picture.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Sep 19, 2014

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Haha you forgot Starship Troopers.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Man this Star Wars Batman crossover film is going to be so weird

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
When I think practical effects I actually think of Star Wars, which is funny when you take the prequel trilogy in account.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Man this Star Wars Batman crossover film is going to be so weird

A sequel to the Lego movie?

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

mr.capps posted:

When I think practical effects I actually think of Star Wars, which is funny when you take the prequel trilogy in account.

Blahblah prequels had a shitton of practical effects blahblahblah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mogomra posted:

I always knew that, but I've never been able to find it because I thought it was supposed to be one of the flying cars passing by. :monocle:

They made the top half the side of a building it's pretty crazy. Would never have known if not for the internet:

• Locked thread