Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Where the hell are you guys even finding this Jorge Joestar stuff? Like I know it's a noncanon novel thingy, but where could one read it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
By ordering a copy from Japan and reading it yourself. The only thing anyone in the Western speaking world has of it is spoilers from people who've actually read it. Half of the book is actually about George Joestar, his adventures, growing up with Lisa Lisa, etc. The other is the author having fun with JoJo fan theories and other silly poo poo. It's like 700 pages long and will never be translated.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 18, 2014

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

BingeHooligan posted:

これは スタンドが 「クロアン・オブ・ザルンズ」
"This is stand is "Croan of Zarns?"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure you can write "Crown of Thorns" with kanji. It should be something like this (if you want to go with the Stardust Crusaders Style) 「荊の冠」

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh "Zarunzu" was thorns? gently caress, that really threw me off. I though it was Clone of Zarns, which I assumed was a reference that just flew over my head.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

And Crown of Thorns in katakana is actually 「クラウン・オブ・ソーンズ」btw. It could also be translated as Clown of Thorns, which should be the title of a song or band if it isn't already.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So someone brought this up to me recently.

Is this a mistranslation, or did Avdol actually beat the poo poo out of Vanilla Ice with no arms? :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's saying that Avdol pushing Polnareff and out of the way made it so Vanilla Ice couldn't do away with all three of them right away.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Beef Waifu posted:

He's saying that Avdol pushing Polnareff and out of the way made it so Vanilla Ice couldn't do away with all three of them right away.
Avdol is really good at pushing Polnareff around.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I know we are getting some good Jojo releases now but it baffles me that so much of the manga has only been available to the west in poo poo garbage scan / translation form for so long

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BlitzBlast posted:

Flip through it again and keep track of Giorno's body. He vanishes from the scene immediately after the first time skip, so presumably while everyone was freaking out over what was happening King Crimson quietly killed Narancia.

The main thing about King Crimson is not just that it can skip time, but also that it's really fast and strong. Give Diavolo a few seconds and sure it can just grab someone and dunk them on a fence. Throw in a couple more time skips so nobody notices and RIP.

I more or less see it happening like this.

King Crimson when no one is looking grabs Naracia and throws him onto the fence with his super speed. He then skips time. Everyone gets ultra confused for a tiny bit meanwhile everything that would have happened during that skipped time still happens. Meaning for 10 seconds Naracia was impaled on the fence before anyone noticed.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I more or less see it happening like this.

King Crimson when no one is looking grabs Naracia and throws him onto the fence with his super speed. He then skips time. Everyone gets ultra confused for a tiny bit meanwhile everything that would have happened during that skipped time still happens. Meaning for 10 seconds Naracia was impaled on the fence before anyone noticed.

Okay, this is a much saner explanation... I guess King Crimson really killed Naracia the "normal" way (like any freakishly strong and fast psychic punchman would), and due to time skips before/after, nobody - including Naracia, probably! - noticed. Thinking about it that way, King Crimson isn't that complicated. He's just confusing the hell out of people, and his defense is literally unbeatable...

Unless you have a Requiem Stand, I guess. The two we got to see in Part 5 were so incredibly overpowered, maybe more than King Crimson even (no you're asleep / no you didn't do that respectively). So you need a broken (!) arrow to pierce the Stand? Is that why the Echoes Act 3 dude in the beginning didn't suddenly get a Requiem Stand even though he got stabbed by Black Sabbath's arrow? Speaking of which, that dude and Jotaro kinda dropped from the story after that...

Polnareff totally would've beaten Diavolo if he had any time to control his own Stand, though. :colbert:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Torquemadras posted:

Finished with Part 5 now. I'll just start with the obvious thing that absolutely everyone will have heard a billion times already:

What the gently caress was up with King Crimson?

I gathered it works like this: King Crimson constantly sees ten seconds into the future, and if he doesn't like what's happening there, he goes "NOPE" and starts evading. However, during those ten seconds, everything else continues as if King Crimson hadn't seen the future... only at the end, King Crimson erases that time so that nobody remembers, and kinda merges himself back into the regular timestream. Meaning he can do whatever he wants while everything happens normally - he stays in the equation, while simultaneously telling the equation to go gently caress itself and doing his own thing.

What I don't get is how he could kill Narancia. Previously, King Crimson only removed himself from the "equation" - he moves just to the exact spot to deliver a devastating surprise attack, he flicks his own blood into people's faces, he deletes the exact time that a bullet spends travelling through his body... Basically exactly like Dio's The World, only much, much better defensively. Goddammit, and just when I thought I understood that Stand! :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33kAMeHVzBA

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Diavolo skips time a couple times for seemingly no reason while that's all happening. If you think about it, he might have just been erasing Narancia's screams.

quote:

Is that why the Echoes Act 3 dude in the beginning didn't suddenly get a Requiem Stand even though he got stabbed by Black Sabbath's arrow?

Gold Experience got stabbed actually. And no, Araki just hadn't thought of the concept yet. You can pretty easily explain it as you don't get a Requiem unless the arrow judges you worthy though.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 18, 2014

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I always thought that it was stab yourself to get a stand/give your stand a secondary ability, stab your stand to morph it into a Requiem version with a mostly different (and stronger) power set entirely.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder what would've happened if someone stabbed themselves with the Arrow and then stabbed their Stand.

Made in Heaven Bites the Dust Requiem :stare:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Koichi was too weak to survive getting hit by an arrow, but luckily Josuke was there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From what I've noticed, people with Stands that have multiple forms like Echoes and Tusk seem to start out really timid or emotionally frail before becoming a lot more hardened.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's also known as "character development."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah. So, Stands evolve normally as people get character development.

I wonder if there's a shared trait for people whose Stands are upgraded by the arrow.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Silver Chariot should have had a pimping chariot wheelchair in part V.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of Polnareff, did he ever explain why he didn't just contact Jotaro and the Speedwagon Foundation about Diavolo before handing the Stand Arrow over to them?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

My question is: how the gently caress is there, like, only one Silver Chariot Requiem figure? Who gives a poo poo if it's a silhouette? Just paint it black.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Polnareff, did he ever explain why he didn't just contact Jotaro and the Speedwagon Foundation about Diavolo before handing the Stand Arrow over to them?

because the mafia controls all forms of communication in italy apparently.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Torquemadras posted:

Is that why the Echoes Act 3 dude in the beginning didn't suddenly get a Requiem Stand even though he got stabbed by Black Sabbath's arrow? Speaking of which, that dude and Jotaro kinda dropped from the story after that...

giorno didn't stab himself with the arrow/didn't have 「True Resolve」 because he was freaking out that mario just got killed by something that looks like a mexican grim reaper and was in pure fight or flight mode, that's why he didn't power up.

Jotaro and Koichi got dropped after that fight because their purpose in the story (make giorno look kinda sinister because you aren't seeing things from his perspective) ended and because araki really didn't like his editors forcing him to bring back characters from older parts all the time.

amuayse posted:

Koichi was too weak to survive getting hit by an arrow, but luckily Josuke was there.

I just assumed that getting stabbed by a loving arrow really hurts and josuke jumped to conclusions before the mediclorians or whatever would've made him better. I mean, jolyne got her finger nicked by a tiny piece of the arrow and started bleeding like crazy, it's consistent that the arrow just gives you savage-but-survivable-somehow wounds

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Think of King Crimson like server lag. He can move around normally, while everyone else is unaware of what's wrong, just to find themselves in a completely different situation ten seconds later. Only difference is he can't be hurt during this time.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
That's more because he can also see the future and nobody else can really do anything, not because he's actually just invincible for no reason. trish and mista do some stuff that kept his time skipping at bay a little bit, for example

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

darealkooky posted:

I just assumed that getting stabbed by a loving arrow really hurts and josuke jumped to conclusions before the mediclorians or whatever would've made him better. I mean, jolyne got her finger nicked by a tiny piece of the arrow and started bleeding like crazy, it's consistent that the arrow just gives you savage-but-survivable-somehow wounds

I think it was said somewhere that if you weren't strong enough to have a stand, you would be killed by the arrow. I'd guess what determines whether or not you're strong enough is whether or not you can survive the injury inflicted upon you and Koichi definitely did survive that ordeal, even if he did have some outside help.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I'm planning to narrate Purple Haze Feedback as an audiobook but I need some help to avoid sounding like an idiot. Is there anyone here who knows the Italian language enough to listen to an mp3 and correct my pronunciation of the character names? If anyone can help, please PM me or email me at soulcleaver at gmail dot kom. Thank you.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

ChaosArgate posted:

I think it was said somewhere that if you weren't strong enough to have a stand, you would be killed by the arrow. I'd guess what determines whether or not you're strong enough is whether or not you can survive the injury inflicted upon you and Koichi definitely did survive that ordeal, even if he did have some outside help.

Josuke healing Koichi sorta cheated the system. Koichi woulda died because he didn't have the [ FIGHTING SPIRIT ] needed to be able to use a Stand. It's why Echoes is just an egg when Koichi summons it against Bad Company and he had to ask Josuke how to summon a Stand to just do that.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I just accept that for every rule governing the behavior of Stands, there's one exception.

It just works (unless it doesn't).

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If Stands were totally comprehensible they wouldn't be half as cool.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Soulcleaver posted:

I'm planning to narrate Purple Haze Feedback as an audiobook but I need some help to avoid sounding like an idiot. Is there anyone here who knows the Italian language enough to listen to an mp3 and correct my pronunciation of the character names? If anyone can help, please PM me or email me at soulcleaver at gmail dot kom. Thank you.

If you complete this, do let us know. I like listening to Audiobooks at work and while I want to read Purple Haze Feedback, I just haven't had the time.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If you complete this, do let us know. I like listening to Audiobooks at work and while I want to read Purple Haze Feedback, I just haven't had the time.
Will do. Hopefully online Italian pronunciation guides will get me through.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
Hey, just realized that during the Paper Moon arc of Jojolion I forgot to say Barnacle Jostar has a Duwang face. Well, thanks

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm reading Highway Star again at the moment.
Josuke breaks his motorcycle and then fixes it up.
He then grabs a phone in the next chapter and can't use it because it's broken.

How exactly is that a problem for him? It's weird that Araki forgot CD's power in a single chapter.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I don't care OP but congratulations on finding an inconsistency in the manga where the author routinely changes the rules put forth because he "forgot" or "just liked it"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
They could have found Kira in an afternoon had Josuke used CD on the button he left.

I'm fine with a Jojo that forgets to use his powers on things sometimes. Part IV wouldn't be nearly as interesting, and its better than Giorno pulling ladybugs out of his rear end that reflect damage.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Aurain posted:

How exactly is that a problem for him? It's weird that Araki forgot CD's power in a single chapter.

After rereading the chapter in chapter in question and reviewing the evidence I've come to the professional opinion that it's because it was a funny gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Aurain posted:

2 viable but non-exclusive possibilities:
1) Josuke is a tremendous idiot
2) It was a gag.

• Locked thread