Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Basically AGE is Bad, GBF is Not Bad. Watch GBF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

To be fair, if it were well written I could very much see this being a thing. Some people have a really hard time letting go of a traumatic event. A better show would have handled Flit's marriage as the loveless, perfunctory affair that it actually was, something that existed solely so that Flit could have another generation to carry on his genocidal endeavors or out of some misplaced sense of duty to the family line.

If it were well written.

Oh right, other hilarious thing, Flit spends 50 years of his life being a bit of a genocidal maniac and in the last episode he decides not to commit his 77845th war crime and people revere him as a hero.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Basically AGE is Bad, GBF is Not Bad. Watch GBF.

I will just repost this in support of this sentiment, as I still have it handy:

Go get 'em, Fellini.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

Oh right, other hilarious thing, Flit spends 50 years of his life being a bit of a genocidal maniac and in the last episode he decides not to commit his 77845th war crime and people revere him as a hero.

If you had a nigh-unstoppable genocidal war criminal who suddenly had a lot of free time on his hands, would you want him to be happy or upset with the general populous?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Bimmi posted:

Was any attempt at all made to explain this, even a bullshit one? If not, that's some seriously hardcore contempt for your audience right there.

Nope! It was never even acknowledged that they could have packed up and left without starting a pointless and stupid war.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
GBF might just push me over into gundam. I've avoided it for so many years.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
If you decide to continue, I suggest going with Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket next to see the series at its absolute best.

And then G-Gundam for sweet 90s robot punching robot action.

KoB
May 1, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

If you decide to continue, I suggest going with Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket next to see the series at its absolute best.

G Gundam is the most similar to Build Fighters, thats why BF is so good.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I think yakitate! japan is the most similar show to this one.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ka0 posted:

I think yakitate! japan is the most similar show to this one.

Not enough puns.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Guyver posted:

The writer for AGE, Akihiro Hino, said that he thinks any plot holes in something would be automatically filled in by the audiences thinking about it and that it should be treated like a puzzle.

"Contempt for the audience" it is, then. My plots don't make sense? Make your own poo poo up, I can't be bothered.

Bet he sleeps like a loving baby, too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Are you trying to kill him via mood whiplash?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Bimmi posted:

"Contempt for the audience" it is, then. My plots don't make sense? Make your own poo poo up, I can't be bothered.

Bet he sleeps like a loving baby, too.

Then thing about Hino is that he doesn't write anime, he writes video games and he wrote AGE as he would write a game. That is why enemies constantly just turn up with no logical way of being there because he needs random encounters. That's why Girard Spriggan happened.

Also he is reported to have constantly ignored people telling him stuff doesn't make sense cause he knows how women behave better than women do (he thinks the female characters in AGE are well done).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Age is so bad that one of the compilation movies improves it by including more school club slice of life scenes.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Age is the most fascinatingly bad show ive seen in like a decade, watch it if you like watching things that go out of their way to establish ideas and plot threads that could be interesting but are misused in the most jarringly stupid ways you can imagine.

Also the animation was really bland and had absolutely no punch or style to it at all, there were many moments where i thought to myself "this would be really cool and badass if the animation had any weight or momentum to it". Its like they spent just as much time animating the talking scenes as the action scenes, but in a way where neither of them looked good, its like the opposite of sakuga style animation.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Age is dumb and boring in a franchise known for being clever but boring or dumb but entertaining.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Clever Spambot posted:

Age is the most fascinatingly bad show ive seen in like a decade

What'd you see a decade ago?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Now I'm kind of curious to watch AGE because you're all hyping it up. I sincerely doubt it could be worse than a certain show from last season featuring rape and mind control over and over and over and over again and whose protagonist flaked out more than Shinji loving Ikari.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

Now I'm kind of curious to watch AGE because you're all hyping it up. I sincerely doubt it could be worse than a certain show from last season featuring rape and mind control over and over and over and over again and whose protagonist flaked out more than Shinji loving Ikari.

Kill-la-Kill was Fall 2013, wasn't it?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Darth Walrus posted:

Kill-la-Kill was Fall 2013, wasn't it?

poo poo, you're right. I'm conflating seasons with years.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

Kill la Kill had style even if it its substance was all over the place and tragically undeveloped. And I'm going to pretend the rape cages never happened.

Age has no style and it pretends to have substance by having so many plot holes that there has to be something clever behind it all. But there really isn't anything behind it other than lazy writing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never bothered with KLK but I admit this is the first time I heard it has rape cages and it makes me extra glad I didn't bother.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

I never bothered with KLK but I admit this is the first time I heard it has rape cages and it makes me extra glad I didn't bother.
KLK generally could have done without the main villain repeatedly molesting her daughters.

I really loving wish that sentence wasn't factual.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I haven't seen either, but going only by what I've heard about it, I thought dude was talking about Valvrave. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've never met anyone who thought Valvrave was legitimately good.

e: Kill la Kill on the other hand had a rabid fanbase from start to finish because being frenetically paced and having a silly side character means the show is perfect somehow.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

John Carstairs posted:

I haven't seen either, but going only by what I've heard about it, I thought dude was talking about Valvrave. :v:

Don't. Especially because while the rape cage and the "rainbow rapist" main antagonist stand out, the show has a lot of other terrible things like how the main character's costume forces itself onto the main character in a blatant attempt to be rape humor, and more than a few situations involving the protagonist being put into compromising positions by older men and holy poo poo the show has a lot of rape in it

Can't wait to watch Build Fighters Try! Is it Try or Tri (because of the 3-man teams)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is Try although it's an obvious pun on Tri.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Quit bitching about kill la kill in the gundam thread you loving retards

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can we at least continue making GBS threads on AGE?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Clever Spambot posted:

Quit bitching about kill la kill in the gundam thread you loving retards

It is one guy, and the same guy that went on and on about unrealistic cameras in a thread about psychic naked powered robots.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tae posted:

It is one guy, and the same guy that went on and on about unrealistic cameras in a thread about psychic naked powered robots.

Nah, let's talk about Gundam AGE for 20 loving pages instead

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
So, everyone, cameos/new suits you'd like to see in Try.

Gaia-Gear/Gunboy-Wilbur/GM-Gigantis team please. :v:

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Altron, Dragon, Virago. The fight ends with the entire team tangled up like Christmas lights.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I know it'll never happen, but Prometheus is at the top of my list. After that, some mods of the Virgo, Destiny, and 00 Raiser would be cool.

And if we're allowing ones that have already appeared, then the gerbera tetra again and more Tallgeese. Can never have enough gooses of above average stature. Also an Aries that goes the entire series without ever exploding would make me laugh.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 19, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Give me all of the Gundam X cameos. Like, literally all of them. Just an entire episode with all the grunts, all the Gundams, and a giant HEY GO BUY GUNDAM X MERCHANDISE sign.

I may or may not compromise with a DX Maoh Divider + Crossbone G-Falcon.

Full Armor ZZ or V2 Assault Buster would be nice too, just because I want to see them animated again.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

StrifeHira posted:

Heavyarms, Seravee HWM, Leopard Destroy, or anything that is can fire every thing ever.

Or Launcher Strike, Blast Impulse, and Gundam Double X. I just want lasers everywhere.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 19, 2014

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Baund Doc so it gets a model maybe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

Heavyarms, Seravee HWM, Leopard Destroy, or anything that is can fire every thing ever.

Or Launcher Strike, Blast Impulse, and Gundam Double X. I just want lasers everywhere.

I really doubt we'll see another Strike, considering we've gotten four variants of the drat thing in the past year. What I'd really like to see is a HGCE/HGBF Buster Gundam, and considering most of the G-Project Gundams have the same basic body, it isn't that far a stretch :pray:. And yes, I also want a Heavy Arms Custom (gotta go with at least the dual-wielded double-chainguns) that has as many missiles as possible, and then even more added on for fun.

Also I'm guessing the Mobile Armor fights are so they have an excuse to get them in as three-man-crewed single machines.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really doubt we'll see another Strike, considering we've gotten four variants of the drat thing in the past year. What I'd really like to see is a HGCE/HGBF Buster Gundam, and considering most of the G-Project Gundams have the same basic body, it isn't that far a stretch :pray:. And yes, I also want a Heavy Arms Custom (gotta go with at least the dual-wielded double-chainguns) that has as many missiles as possible, and then even more added on for fun.

Also I'm guessing the Mobile Armor fights are so they have an excuse to get them in as three-man-crewed single machines.

Make a Heavyarms custom in the vein of the sword calamity and give it no ranged options and some bigass swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

BlitzBlast posted:

Give me all of the Gundam X cameos. Like, literally all of them. Just an entire episode with all the grunts, all the Gundams, and a giant HEY GO BUY GUNDAM X MERCHANDISE sign.

I may or may not compromise with a DX Maoh Divider + Crossbone G-Falcon.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That settles it then.

Time for a Patulia fight. :getin:

• Locked thread