Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I do agree that it would have had it's uses but there's no way to guarantee that the right weapon will be mounted there without either hardmounting the weapon so it can't be changed, making a new rear torso section with only enough slots for the desired weapon or a way to determine which weapon goes in a specific hardpoint. Without all that, someone would have mounted an LRM20 in that hardpoint and you'd have an Atlas making GBS threads missiles out of it's back.

Actually that'd be pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
They could have just added a Rear-Facing Camera module (or a loving mirror or something) so you could see behind you to use rear-firing equipment. They could have also allowed knee-guns like in the Viking.

But that would make this game fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The Cicada's got leg-mounted machineguns! They just moved them to the torsos.

When do we get a Yeoman? It fits the MWO Aesthetic!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

They could have just added a Rear-Facing Camera module (or a loving mirror or something) so you could see behind you to use rear-firing equipment. They could have also allowed knee-guns like in the Viking.

Apparently they can't have rear-facing cameras because of engine limitations making it impossible/incredibly hard/resource intensive to render multiple scenes at once. It's the same/similar reason why the zoom module can only blow up the on screen pixels or something.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Cicada's got leg-mounted machineguns! They just moved them to the torsos.

When do we get a Yeoman? It fits the MWO Aesthetic!

Well according to that page it doesn't show up till 3060. Makes me think of a robot version of a hwacha

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Thor-Stryker posted:

But that would make this game fun.

Leg guns are a whole other problem due to how the legs move. You'd have to have a stable spot on the legs so you could aim properly and it's probably not worth it.

Someone has talked about a rear facing camera before and the problem is rendering two viewports. One is intensive enough right now and adding a second would effectively double the draw calls and really kill performance. There was a post by one of the devs about the number of draw calls the game makes not too long ago and it's a lot more than you'd think.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Number19 posted:

Leg guns are a whole other problem due to how the legs move. You'd have to have a stable spot on the legs so you could aim properly and it's probably not worth it.

Someone has talked about a rear facing camera before and the problem is rendering two viewports. One is intensive enough right now and adding a second would effectively double the draw calls and really kill performance. There was a post by one of the devs about the number of draw calls the game makes not too long ago and it's a lot more than you'd think.

Put it at the hips so you don't have to worry about up and down mobility and it would still make sense for them to blow up when the leg goes.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Number19 posted:

Put them on the legs and not able to be aimed.

Only energy slots.

Disco Legs.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Move them between the legs and below the torso, dick guns :black101:

Edit:
And if we ever get melee slots/options (we'll probably not) those would fit the leg/dick area perfectly, we could go full Robot Jox.

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 18, 2014

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Number19 posted:

The solution to draw calls is to switch to a rear view (stop rendering the front). Though I do wonder how many draw calls are spend on the HuD.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I would actually pay PGI money if my Atlas could fist dudes while firing his AC20 and SRMs. Even if it's just 1 damage per fist.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That reward atlas will be exceedingly mean. Quad SRM6 + artemis / Quad ML / std350 / 20 DHS /max armor aside from 57 on legs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

That reward atlas will be exceedingly mean. Quad SRM6 + artemis / Quad ML / std350 / 20 DHS /max armor aside from 57 on legs.

It could also be a quad LRM 15 (lrm 60!). MOAR MISSL SPAM

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Gwaihir posted:

So basically the Mawesome V2? I can dig it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Atlas missile boats are scumbags.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gwaihir posted:

Hungry

A little ammo starved. A 335 might work out better, but it's hard to give up the twisting edge the 350 brings.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The solution to draw calls is to switch to a rear view (stop rendering the front). Though I do wonder how many draw calls are spend on the HuD.

Here's Matthew Craig's recent post about where a lot of the draw calls go:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/17...ost__p__3712162

(warning: :words: )

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

Apparently they can't have rear-facing cameras because of engine limitations making it impossible/incredibly hard/resource intensive to render multiple scenes at once. It's the same/similar reason why the zoom module can only blow up the on screen pixels or something.

I oppose any kind of rear view camera because that would reduce the number of dumbass assault mechs I get to park behind in my Jenner.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Rear view mirrors are lostech anyway.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kavros posted:

Rear view mirrors are lostech anyway.

ahem technically a pilot's neurohelmet displays a compressed 360 degree vision strip for him so there is no blind spot :goonsay:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
19, can you find out if they have fixed the issues (rather when they are going to fix the issues) with AMD cards playing like poo poo compared to Nvidia cards. I still can't max out the game even with triple 290x and it bums me out. I know they're working because my room temp goes up steadily as I play more games :)

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

EoRaptor posted:

Hungry

A little ammo starved. A 335 might work out better, but it's hard to give up the twisting edge the 350 brings.

Lasers are a trap there. The best brawler atlas rolls a 360 /triple SRM6/AC20 straight up. Twist and punch all day.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

veedubfreak posted:

19, can you find out if they have fixed the issues (rather when they are going to fix the issues) with AMD cards playing like poo poo compared to Nvidia cards. I still can't max out the game even with triple 290x and it bums me out. I know they're working because my room temp goes up steadily as I play more games :)

I don't know unfortunately. I'll see if I can find out anything but you're probably best off filing a support ticket for it if you haven't already.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
are we ever gonna get anything other than AUTO-DETECT: NO SIGNAL options on those monitors, because there is a lot of cool stuff that could be there

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pattonesque posted:

are we ever gonna get anything other than AUTO-DETECT: NO SIGNAL options on those monitors, because there is a lot of cool stuff that could be there

Is this a serious question?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Lasers are a trap there. The best brawler atlas rolls a 360 /triple SRM6/AC20 straight up. Twist and punch all day.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=16&l=91b81d6c8b0689ee32f6557582e8cc8eb42cfa61

LRMs + Ammo + 4 of the 8 spare slots = 4x SRM6 + ammo. A little light on missile ammo but my experience was that since clanageddon Atlases don't last that long anyway. If you're a braver person than I, you can drop the MLAS for more ammo, same with heat sinks.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Pattonesque posted:

You just got to tune them in until you find a signal. I watch sweet MTV clips from the 90's on mine while I play.

They will never work.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gwaihir posted:

The arm lasers are middling, true, but the CT lasers end up being useful way to often, even if you ignore them during most brawls.

I'd pay two tons to be an armed popsicle.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

PLEASE GIVE THIS TO ME

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
In general I recommend not thinking and blindly doing whatever Gwaihir suggests. I guarantee you he's sperged about it way more than you ever could.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

Trust me, it's better they stay exactly the way they are. You don't want to find out what happens when the Auto-detect system finds a signal. Why do you think they devote so many screens to the signal status?

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Wait, has PGI suddenly started making customer service moves that are merely mediocre instead of outright hostile? Now I'm tempted to bust the ol' Mech Romney account out and taunt the spacepoors again.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
They made all chat opt-in. So, almost no one will be getting those taunts.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

In general I recommend not thinking and blindly doing whatever Gwaihir suggests. I guarantee you he's sperged about it way more than you ever could.

Do tell us about your recent experiences with Gwaihir builds...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Obviously I have stopped playing but I'm pretty sure Gwaihir's diseased brain had a hand in both the Menturion and the Gaussapult which were my two favorite robots.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Obviously I have stopped playing but I'm pretty sure Gwaihir's diseased brain had a hand in both the Menturion and the Gaussapult which were my two favorite robots.

I'm not saying he's wrong about the lasers, even a short delay in twisting can be exploited, but giving up the CT lasers is probably not worth the tradeoff of being a useless popsicle. Better to not use them initially, holding them for when ammo runs low.

Unless your roll is explicitly to lead the charge with no expectation of return, which is completely valid, being armed to the end is always good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

To be fair to PGI/MWO no other Mechwarrior game has let you punch Clanners and watch them :qqsay: either.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think real popsicle-ing happens in a brawling atlas often enough to warrant using the -D instead of the -DDC. That's the real thing, since nipple lasers aren't an option on the -DDC at all. If I was using the -D instead, I would use the lasers since you can only have 2 SRM6es.

e: But, that said, my -D was always ever the pubbie reaper comedy build, triple LL, gauss, twin LRM15, and XL300 YEAAAAAA.
(Incidentally also the only mech I have a perfect KDR in since I have zero deaths with it since they started detailed stat tracking)

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
gently caress the dickguns or kneeguns, I want rear-firing butt mounted SRMs

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Captain Gordon posted:

gently caress the dickguns or kneeguns, I want rear-firing butt mounted SRMs

*Flamers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Great Beer posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=16&l=91b81d6c8b0689ee32f6557582e8cc8eb42cfa61

LRMs + Ammo + 4 of the 8 spare slots = 4x SRM6 + ammo. A little light on missile ammo but my experience was that since clanageddon Atlases don't last that long anyway. If you're a braver person than I, you can drop the MLAS for more ammo, same with heat sinks.

Any time I get in my DDC I just end up being the first idiot to push and dying after making GBS threads out 3-400 damage. Usually works unless I'm pubbing and no one backs me up.

When do we get the new mechs?

• Locked thread