Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Mad Wack posted:

At some point pokeyman posted a little guide to using voiceover with Awful.app - can you repost it? I'm driving a lot now for work and I'd love a way for awful to read me shitposts while I commute.

It's not Awful-specific but I think I posted this guide awhile back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Edit: wrong app

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The soccer ball next to the grenade does not look great. I'm not even sure what the soccer ball is supposed to be for, to be honest.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hmmm. The soccer balls shouldn't actually be there anymore, as of 18 days ago. I await Pokeyman's insight into what's going on.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Maybe it's in an update you won't see until you upgrade your device to iOS 8.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nope. The soccer ball icons come from a CSS file hosted at awfulapp.com, which should allow us to make those kind of changes independently of app updates. Those soccer balls should have disappeared for everyone within no more than a couple of days of when I removed them from that CSS.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Oh, interesting.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Hmmm. The soccer balls shouldn't actually be there anymore, as of 18 days ago. I await Pokeyman's insight into what's going on.

I don't have much insight, unfortunately. All I can think of is that downloading the updated stylesheet is failing for some reason, so the cached copy never gets overwritten. I think I'm doing the Etag/Last-Modified dance properly there, but maybe not? The hosted stylesheet looks correct.

Currently, the cached stylesheet does not get deleted when logging out. I think that was intentional because it's not user-specific data. (I'm the one who decided that, I just don't remember exactly why.) Same idea with the downloaded thread tags: no point deleting it between users, as it's application data. Unfortunately, that means there's no way to delete that cache short of uninstalling the app (or filling up your device, I guess).

Here's the code for the stylesheet downloader if anyone's curious.

Diabolik900 posted:

Those soccer balls should have disappeared for everyone within no more than a couple of days of when I removed them from that CSS.

No more than an hour, in theory. (I set it so frequently because it'll return a 304 almost all the time, so it's a tiny request/response.)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm guessing the answer to this is a "no" but is there any way that you can have links that point to SA open in the app? I get messages from some of my goon friends linking me to specific threads sometimes, and it kind of sucks that I have to open them in a browser instead of the app just opening.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you copy the link to the clipboard and then open Awful, I believe it goes there.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm guessing the answer to this is a "no" but is there any way that you can have links that point to SA open in the app? I get messages from some of my goon friends linking me to specific threads sometimes, and it kind of sucks that I have to open them in a browser instead of the app just opening.

You have a couple of options. If you turn "http://whatever" into "awfulhttp://whatever" it'll open in Awful. The other (usually easier) one is

Subjunctive posted:

If you copy the link to the clipboard and then open Awful

There's no way to do exactly what you want, it's an iOS restriction.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The clipboard thing will do, thanks, had no idea about it. That seems like something Apple should allow to me, and now that there are custom keyboards on iOS is the only thing that I think Android still has over iOS.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Being able to set the default browser is nice.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Being able to set the default browser is nice.

Yeah that too. And default programs for pretty much everything. I was kind of lumping all that into this, really. I'd settle for just being able to tell my phone to never, ever open Apple Maps again, though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

The clipboard thing will do, thanks, had no idea about it. That seems like something Apple should allow to me, and now that there are custom keyboards on iOS is the only thing that I think Android still has over iOS.

With the Handoff stuff that went into iOS 8, you can reliably determine which app should be allowed to deal with whatever URL domain, so I think it's now feasible technically for them to implement. Whether it'll actually happen is another story.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Apple Maps was improved right? I wonder how much it improved...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Apple Maps was improved right? I wonder how much it improved...

We're kinda getting off topic here, but: yes it's much improved, no it's probably not as good as Google Maps, try it out and see!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Is support for using the 1Password extension on the list?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just updated to iOS 8, and none of the link options do anything: long press then chrome/safari/copy URL, similarly with the share menu from the internal browsers.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Athletic Footjob posted:

Yep. One of the first things I'm gonna do after getting the iOS 8 release out the door.

Subjunctive posted:

Just updated to iOS 8, and none of the link options do anything: long press then chrome/safari/copy URL, similarly with the share menu from the internal browsers.

This is the version of Awful currently in the App Store, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

This is the version of Awful currently in the App Store, right?

Yep.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

Subjunctive posted:

Same. Even if I copy link in app, it doesn't paste on Safari.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I think they do support it but it requires the website owner to add support and we aren't the website owners.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

smackfu posted:

I think they do support it but it requires the website owner to add support and we aren't the website owners.

Time to make a kickstarter.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Athletic Footjob posted:

Lastpass too please while you're on the topic

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Awful app works with every feature working normally, but I'm really not digging its refresh time now, compared to before I updated it to iOS 8 version.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

xilni posted:

Has LastPass even opened up support outside of Safari? 1Password published a vendor-agnostic password extension support scheme for application owners to use, but I haven't seen anything from LastPass saying they're using it or even doing their own thing, only that they have support for Safari.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xilni posted:

Sure, if you can link me to how that's done I'll put it on the list.

Nonsense posted:

Awful app works with every feature working normally, but I'm really not digging its refresh time now, compared to before I updated it to iOS 8 version.

What do you mean? I don't think I've done anything to slow down refreshing, but I haven't done any profiling so I can't say that for sure.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Will some future iOS8 update to the app include a Forums Smilies keyboard?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Yes, for use within Awful. No, for use in other apps.

(Custom keyboards can only send text, not images. As far as I can tell.)

edit: (Ironically, the one for use within Awful will only need to send text, not images.)

edit: I am wrong, see below.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 18, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure?

Isn't PopKey coming out with a third party keyboard that's all animated gifs?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Are you sure?

Isn't PopKey coming out with a third party keyboard that's all animated gifs?

I take it back. Apparently keyboards can mess with the pasteboard. The gif keyboards apparently work by copying the gif when you tap, then you have to paste into wherever you're typing. We can definitely do that!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, what have I suggested...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

pokeyman posted:

I take it back. Apparently keyboards can mess with the pasteboard. The gif keyboards apparently work by copying the gif when you tap, then you have to paste into wherever you're typing. We can definitely do that!

The future is here...

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

pokeyman posted:

I don't have much insight, unfortunately. All I can think of is that downloading the updated stylesheet is failing for some reason, so the cached copy never gets overwritten. I think I'm doing the Etag/Last-Modified dance properly there, but maybe not? The hosted stylesheet looks correct.

Currently, the cached stylesheet does not get deleted when logging out. I think that was intentional because it's not user-specific data. (I'm the one who decided that, I just don't remember exactly why.) Same idea with the downloaded thread tags: no point deleting it between users, as it's application data. Unfortunately, that means there's no way to delete that cache short of uninstalling the app (or filling up your device, I guess).

Here's the code for the stylesheet downloader if anyone's curious.

No more than an hour, in theory. (I set it so frequently because it'll return a 304 almost all the time, so it's a tiny request/response.)

I don't know if you changed that recently, but the caching headers are correct now. If you didn't previously give clients explicit caching headers (Cache-control or Expires), they can use any heuristic they want to. Most browsers will cache it for a 10% of the interval between the download date and Last-Modified, like the spec suggests. If the CSS file wasn't updated for a while, that 10% might be a relatively long time.

Smol fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 18, 2014

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Thwomp posted:

(photoshop)

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I know I've said it before but if I could use that keyboard everywhere I could die happy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

1997 posted:

I know I've said it before but if I could use that keyboard everywhere I could die happy.
Yeah same :pray:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Smol posted:

I don't know if you changed that recently, but the caching headers are correct now. If you didn't previously give clients explicit caching headers (Cache-control or Expires), they can use any heuristic they want to. Most browsers will cache it for a 10% of the interval between the download date and Last-Modified, like the spec suggests. If the CSS file wasn't updated for a while, that 10% might be a relatively long time.

June 27, 2014 according to the commit, so no, not particularly recent :)

I didn't know about dealing with the absence of caching headers, I'll add that to my lovely todo list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Man, there's 710 smilies on the forum these days. Getting all those organized into categories and fit into a tiny iOS keyboard is gonna be a colossal effort. Not to mention what that's going to do for the size of the app or if all of those have to be cached in memory for the keyboard to work.

At least the emoji icons are all the same size. :v:

• Locked thread