Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Either ios8 is buggy in messaging or SwiftKey keyboard is. I opened iMessage and no keyboard would come up without a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

wintermuteCF posted:

That's a shallow way of looking at the true cost of the phone. If you're buying a subsidized phone, it's actually [subsidized price]+[24*monthly rate]. Tacking on an extra $100 to that is a non-negligible but still very small increase.

You can explain the "true cost of a phone" until you're blue in the face but it doesn't matter because it's not how most consumers look at phone pricing. They see a phone for $200, monthly pricing is irrelevant because it doesn't change on what model you get. My phone bill will be $XX a month if I get the $200 iPhone or $300 iPhone or the free crappy android phone. My only concern is if I want to spend 50%+ more today on my phone or not.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 18, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Feenix posted:

Either ios8 is buggy in messaging or SwiftKey keyboard is. I opened iMessage and no keyboard would come up without a reboot.

happening to me too.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I've been stewing over which screen size would be the better choice when heading to the ATT store early tomorrow morning. These two responses kind of seal the deal that the 6 is a better choice than the 6 plus.

The Plus may not be a choice for you if you're planning on getting one tomorrow in an ATT store. I work for an ATT reseller, and we received one 6+ for tomorrows launch. The official ATT store in town and the one a town over claims they aren't receiving any.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I gotta say, it's really annoying how the button for changing keyboards isn't in the same spot in every keyboard.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Why the hell did they get rid of the camera roll? Now I have a folder with like 50 photos in it and my 300 camera roll photos are in with a thousand others on a giant grid.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Bird Law posted:

I have Allow Hey Siri toggled on, really weird that my phone won't do this. I just assumed it wasn't part of Hey Siri yet though it did seem really useless if the screen has to be on. I'll restart phone and try again.

Make sure you have Allow Siri When Locked enabled as well. It's under the Touch ID/Passcode menu.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

FCKGW posted:

You can explain the "true cost of a phone" until you're blue in the face but it doesn't matter because it's not how most consumers look at phone pricing. They see a phone for $200, monthly pricing is irrelevant because it doesn't change on what model you get. My phone bill will be $XX a month if I get the $200 iPhone or $300 iPhone or the free crappy android phone. My only concern is if I want to spend 50%+ more today on my phone or not.

It does now with programs like ATT Next.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
twice today (after upgrading to iOS8 yesterday) my launch day 5 has told me "no sim card installed" :ohdear:

shutting it down and restarting has solved the issue each time but I'm worried it'll happen overnight and i'll miss an important call.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

So 5s bulging screen update:

Took it to the Apple Store during lunch and the genius decided to just go ahead and replace my phone. He said my enclosure was warping, and that it was covered under warranty. Apple's support owns so hard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MrBond posted:

IIRC anandtech has considered previous iPhones to be one of the best at cellular antenna reception.

If you're in a really bad signal area though, there's only so much the phone can do. You'll probably have to charge a bunch at home and/or use wifi calling if your carrier supports it (tmo US/EE UK only for now iirc).

Well, weak signal with the Nexus 5 is a known issue. Since I never actually had a completely dead signal with my S4 or even my Nexus S before that I think it's more the phone than the reception.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

happening to me too.

I've found enabling full access in the settings to solve most of my keyboard woes with SwiftKey

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Both of my iPhone lightening cables are totally hosed and actually start smoking when I plug them in. They're both 2 years old.

If I trek down to the Apple Store do you think they'll be replaced for free?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

xilni posted:

I've found enabling full access in the settings to solve most of my keyboard woes with SwiftKey

I just straight out removed the other keyboards from the list. No trouble since.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

xilni posted:

cheers but I had full access enabled. still goosed.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

dutchbstrd posted:

Both of my iPhone lightening cables are totally hosed and actually start smoking when I plug them in. They're both 2 years old.

If I trek down to the Apple Store do you think they'll be replaced for free?

If you mention a fire hazard with any cable/charger they will always replace them in my experience.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

If you mention a fire hazard with any cable/charger they will always replace them in my experience.

Nice. For reference they both look like this after 2 years.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Vegastar posted:

I just straight out removed the other keyboards from the list. No trouble since.

I want to keep my emoji keyboard but I occasionally have it randomly switch to my emoji keyboard when switching between apps.

geera
May 20, 2003
Do you unplug them with your teeth?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

dutchbstrd posted:

Nice. For reference they both look like this after 2 years.

Jesus loving Christ why would you let them get like that without replacing them!?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

coke zero mit mayo posted:

Edit: what the gently caress the button is right at the top of the playlist. How did I miss that?
If you open a playlist, the first thing it shows is the first song on the list. The download all button is ABOVE that so it's easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

EDIT: Yeah, the Lightning cable I keep in my office looks like that on the Lightning connector side. Well, the rubber outside has worn away and the shielding is visible. If I return my brown case, I might see if they'll replace my cable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Jesus loving Christ why would you let them get like that without replacing them!?

If it's not literally causing a fire right this second, it doesn't matter. Cable still has some life in it.

Unless Apple will replace it for free, in which case new wires for everyone!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

They both got like that in the past week or so and I have been too busy with work to worry.

Also I am lazy.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
After seeing those cables I'm not so sure. They may attribute it to neglect or heavy handedness. The few chargers or cables I've had replaced were showing signs of heat-caused damage.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Do you wrap those cables up at weird right angles or something? I've had Apple cables where the outer plastic has worn and worked its way out of the little strain relief boot, but not that far up the cord.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I had a lightning cable once get a spot that looked like it had a short on the connector. Apple tech gave me a new one on the spot and only asked what it was plugged into (my Lenovo pc workstation).

But seriously, those cables. :wtc:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dutchbstrd posted:

Also I am lazy.
In the future, unplug cables by pulling on the plug, not the cable.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

I do that and my cable isn't at some weird angle or anything and one of my cables looks like that.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

empty baggie posted:

The Plus may not be a choice for you if you're planning on getting one tomorrow in an ATT store. I work for an ATT reseller, and we received one 6+ for tomorrows launch. The official ATT store in town and the one a town over claims they aren't receiving any.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to a location that is in a fairly remote part of town, but still right on the border of nyc. I'm hoping stock is at least substantial enough to have the grey 6 in 64gb.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

But that will require me to bend down and move my body from my goonthrone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AdmiralViscen posted:

Why the hell did they get rid of the camera roll? Now I have a folder with like 50 photos in it and my 300 camera roll photos are in with a thousand others on a giant grid.
Yeah count me in as another who loving hates the new photos setup. I hated it in the beta and they didn't fix it at all for the GM.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

God drat it I do not want to explain a new Photos organization system to my grandma again. Christ, Apple. Get it right and be consistent.

I guess I'll tell her to hold off on iOS 8 for a bit until I even understand what the new system is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

God drat it I do not want to explain a new Photos organization system to my grandma again. Christ, Apple. Get it right and be consistent.

I guess I'll tell her to hold off on iOS 8 for a bit until I even understand what the new system is.

Everything is everywhere and also we really want you to use Moments.

:rip: Camera Roll.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Do I have to turn handoff off completely to stop a call from one phone ringing on another?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Uhh it's not hard to comprehend at all, just a little more inconvenient to navigate.

You click the photos app and it loads a giant list of every single photo on your phone ordered by date. Why would you have to explain that?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
messages are all sorts of hosed up all together. when I get a text, the ring tone doesn't stop even if I open the text or click the lock button. wgaf tho, new phone tomorrow.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Uhh it's not hard to comprehend at all, just a little more inconvenient to navigate.

You click the photos app and it loads a giant list of every single photo on your phone ordered by date. Why would you have to explain that?

Uhh you've obviously never had to explain tech anything to someone aged 50+

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Uhh you've obviously never had to explain tech anything to someone aged 50+
I just mean that it's not decidedly different than the way it was before. The list of photos just has a lot more white space in between now.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Every new iOS release should be about making features easier to use and more intuitive, though, and then they go and do a stupid thing like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

Is there a way to edit the location that's attached to a picture?