Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nask26 posted:

With Swiftkey Installed every few hours it seems like it crashes and I cant get a keyboard to come up at all without going into setting or rebooting. Is that happening with anyone else? Also spotlight is buggy as well. Sometimes the bing search works sometimes it doesn't, If I try and move it around in the settings it will crash.

Yup I am having similar results with swiftkey, I think I'll just go back to the default keyboard. The delay in the keyboard popping up alone annoys me already but the jankiness of it makes me think I'll wait for the next version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
http://appshopper.com/photography/vizzywig-4k

Look at this poo poo

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Does Swype need access to all keyboard data in the same way as SwiftKey? I'm hesitant to allow the latter access since I type all my passwords into my phone.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am having difficulties with the Dropbox app. The update kept failing for it so I deleted it and have been trying to reinstall it. It downloads fine but stays "grayed out" and when I tap it, it says "Installing" and the little pie chart fills up but then it goes back to being grayed out again. It installed fine on my iPad though. Weird.
I'm also having some Dropbox troubles. I updated to iOS 8 and got the Dropbox update, but whenever I open the app now the whole thing crashes. Not sure if it's related to your problem in any way, though.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Lady Gaza posted:

Does Swype need access to all keyboard data in the same way as SwiftKey? I'm hesitant to allow the latter access since I type all my passwords into my phone.

iOS automatically switches to(and doesn't let you switch away from) the built-in keyboard while you're in a password field. If it doesn't detect a password field for some reason you can always just tap the globe button to quickly switch keyboards.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

JFairfax posted:

Minuum came out on ios today and you should all probably try it for some real keyboard fun
I almost got that cause I wanted more space but ended up going with Fleksy cause they actually seemed pretty similar in size in screen shots (at Fleksy's small size setting), and had iPad support working. Minuum has the tiny key line but has white space along with the autocorrect line and spacebar which get it closer to Fleksy's height.

Hell I might still pick up Minuum anyway just out of curiosity, maybe when it supports the iPad.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Disappointing Pie posted:

Press it twice.

That's an acceptable workaround for entering a URL, but it's a problem with things like username fields. Some (many?) sites/apps don't strip off that extra space, and I end up logging in as, or worse, creating a new account as, "CygnusTM ". I don't remember having this problem with SwiftKey on Android.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Supgaiz posted:

iOS automatically switches to(and doesn't let you switch away from) the built-in keyboard while you're in a password field. If it doesn't detect a password field for some reason you can always just tap the globe button to quickly switch keyboards.

Yeah I kinda like that solution.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
SwiftKey for Android had the option of adding in the center prediction by hitting space. Is there an option for this on iOS yet? I couldn't seem to find it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
accidentally deleted the emoji keyboard from my settings. Anyone know how to re-add it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ICHIBAHN posted:

accidentally deleted the emoji keyboard from my settings. Anyone know how to re-add it?

It should be part of the main language options.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

It's considered a language. It's alphabetical after Dutch in the keyboard list.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks guys.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

12 app updates this morning, 10 of them said nothing but "bug fixes" in the description. The other two were "iOS 8 compatibility."

Put some effort into your changelogs, assholes. :argh:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

A friend of mine is saying she isn't getting notifications from Google Hangouts since updating to iOS 8. Is this a bug in the app that other people are experiencing, or is it likely to be something in her settings that needs to be tweaked?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

bvoid posted:

SwiftKey for Android had the option of adding in the center prediction by hitting space. Is there an option for this on iOS yet? I couldn't seem to find it.

This is how it works in iOS by default. I'm using it right now.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Swype was the last check box for me on ios, I'm so glad it's here. Hope they just add emoji as a swipe to E option later so I don't have top swap keyboards so often.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
can I use this Health app to count calories while I jog? is it that simple?

Is life ever that simple?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

A friend of mine is saying she isn't getting notifications from Google Hangouts since updating to iOS 8. Is this a bug in the app that other people are experiencing, or is it likely to be something in her settings that needs to be tweaked?
Check her settings because I am getting them just fine. It might not hurt for her to reinstall, too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ignore calories burned, nothing is going to be nearly accurate enough to matter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

Every weight-loss app in the world drastically overestimates how many calories you burn while exercising. Don't use exercise calories to justify overeating.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why doesn't Swype work with messages?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any decent app that will let me connect my iphone into our PBX?

Basically I want to turn the phone into an ip phone while at the office.

Edit: apparently the only decent one is the one made by Bria, according to the guys that installed our VOIP.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 18, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

12 app updates this morning, 10 of them said nothing but "bug fixes" in the description. The other two were "iOS 8 compatibility."

Put some effort into your changelogs, assholes. :argh:

Better than Facebook's which are essentially "get bent."

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Has anyone else noticed how in the messages app, switching between Swiftkey and another keyboard makes the messages lose position? To switch to Swiftkey it closes the current keyboard, then Swiftkey pops up, but the messages don't shift upward with the keyboard, so half the screen is underneath the keyboard. Mildly annoying.

I'm getting this with Swype, too. Quite annoying. Something I would put up with on Android, don't want to deal with on iOS.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
These keyboards are pretty much in beta at this point. I imagine within the next few weeks a lot of the obvious issues will be ironed out. I think all these companies rushed their keyboards out so they could be on the store when everyone was going to be playing with the new update.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

DarkJC posted:

These keyboards are pretty much in beta at this point. I imagine within the next few weeks a lot of the obvious issues will be ironed out. I think all these companies rushed their keyboards out so they could be on the store when everyone was going to be playing with the new update.

Agreed. They're very buggy with regards to switching keyboards, scrolling issues, and sometimes crashing. Hopefully iOS 8.1 fixes this.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Mine does

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Agreed. They're very buggy with regards to switching keyboards, scrolling issues, and sometimes crashing. Hopefully iOS 8.1 fixes this.
Is that an issue with iOS or the keyboards though?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Josh Lyman posted:

Is that an issue with iOS or the keyboards though?

Maybe a little bit of both

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

ICHIBAHN posted:

It does, the stock iOS keyboard seems to take precedent sometimes. If you close the keyboard by scrolling up and then tapping the text entry field to reopen the keyboard, you'll see Swype there. Definitely something that needs to be worked on.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If you move your keyboard of choice to the top of the list it seems to help. I don't think I have had the problem since I did that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So I've had a really weird issue with Twitter for a good while now (4s, iOS7, latest Twitter) where upon opening the app it always takes me to a certain tweet and not the one I last read or even the newest one on the timeline. Right now each time I open it, it opens to a tweet from like six weeks ago. I managed to make it work once but it started doing it again for no reason. Reinstalling only changes what tweet it gets stuck on, but not the issue itself.

E: Nevermind, relogging of all things seems to have fixed it.

E2: I lied, it just marked a new tweet to get stuck on.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 19, 2014

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So I haven't checked in awhile but what is the best way to read my Gmail on my phone? I remember back in the day I had to add it as an exchange account if I wanted it to work properly. Still the case?

If the official mail app is the best, what's the optimal way to say up a Gmail account?

Or am I better off just using the Gmail app?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What is the difference between Swype and SwiftKey?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

obi_ant posted:

What is the difference between Swype and SwiftKey?

Swype is swipe first tap second while swiftkey is tap first swipe second. Which ever is your preference you can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

So I haven't checked in awhile but what is the best way to read my Gmail on my phone? I remember back in the day I had to add it as an exchange account if I wanted it to work properly. Still the case?

If the official mail app is the best, what's the optimal way to say up a Gmail account?

Or am I better off just using the Gmail app?

Uh, do you need push or not? If you don't then just go through exchange in settings.

If you do, then work with a third party app. Gmail is nice and I still use it for lots of things, but Mailbox kicks huge amounts of rear end if you receive a lot of emails related to whatever your workflow is. It basically lets you set up your inbox as a GTD-style todo list and supports gmail push.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Has anyone encountered this after updating to iOS 8, an update to an app is available. It seems to download and install but doesn't actually update the app. If you go back to the app store the same app will show as having an update available. Sometimes deleting the app and redownloading works and sometimes it doesn't.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Is there no way to browse the iCloud drive folder structure in the iWork apps? I have all my documents for my classes organized in the root directory but the iWork apps only show the stuff in their respective folders. It's not really feasible for me to put the documents in the iWork folders because it's a mixture of document types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

serebralassazin posted:

Has anyone encountered this after updating to iOS 8, an update to an app is available. It seems to download and install but doesn't actually update the app. If you go back to the app store the same app will show as having an update available. Sometimes deleting the app and redownloading works and sometimes it doesn't.
Yeah this happened to me with NFL and Mint yesterday, and now today it's been doing it with Scanner Pro.

• Locked thread