Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
If it was in a leafy residential area, that's a light that only changes whenever someone is using the crosswalk or bike path. It uses less power that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
There is a light at Burnside and 41st but it's just a signal for the crosswalk. It turns red so that people can cross Burnside and then when the "don't walk" pedestrian sign starts blinking the traffic signal starts blinking red and then shuts off.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Ah, that must be what I saw. Was really weirded out if I should go once it started blinking, then it just turned off. :stare:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Bob Socko posted:

The best thing about Albany is that it's the same distance from a lot of nice things. Drive for about an hour and you can get to the coast, the mountains, Portland, or Eugene.

Ping's is awesome, too.

Last time I ate at Ping's, I had demon liquid farts for the rest of the evening.

Burn Ping's to the ground, all hail Ginza.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I wish Sawant would start pushing harder for municipal broadband. It's something relatively radical, that could potentially get the tech community in her corner, as well as help out poor people. It seems win-win-win for her.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I wish Sawant would start pushing harder for municipal broadband. It's something relatively radical, that could potentially get the tech community in her corner, as well as help out poor people. It seems win-win-win for her.

It would be. Seattle is being rammrodded by Centurylink and Comcast. Comcast outrages on lake union are pushing to 5% downtime over the last week . Its ridiculous. I heard a new bill is allowing centurylink to put fiber cabinets on easements without notification which is interesting.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BlueBlazer posted:

Comcast outages on lake union are pushing to 5% downtime over the last week.

This poo poo has been happening in Portland too.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

BlueBlazer posted:

It would be. Seattle is being rammrodded by Centurylink and Comcast. Comcast outrages on lake union are pushing to 5% downtime over the last week. Its ridiculous.
Comcast has been getting progressively worse in Sammamish over the past year. I don't know if it's a 5% downtime, but it's frequent and getting worse. One of my neighbors has had techs come out to her house five times in the past two months, and has gotten five different excuses for the service issues.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
The more things change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgUN_95UAw

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Thanatosian posted:

From what I understand, SA has kept Sawant's schedule pretty full flying her around the country (and also London) to help build chapters and give support to local campaigns. She's pretty drat busy.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SyHopeful posted:

From what I understand, SA has kept Sawant's schedule pretty full flying her around the country (and also London) to help build chapters and give support to local campaigns. She's pretty drat busy.
Lowtax really ought to focus on fixing the forums instead of pandering to politicians like this.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Thanatosian posted:

A- Turning internet access into a utility is a giant uphill battle with zero traction.

B- The current "trustbusting"-ish work being done at city hall has nothing to do with the former; we can only hope that our Competitive Marketplace Overlords are going to serve the public well. Sawant gains nothing if things work and loses everything if they act lovely.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

anthonypants posted:

Lowtax really ought to focus on fixing the forums instead of pandering to politicians like this.

:rimshot:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bob Socko posted:

Comcast has been getting progressively worse in Sammamish over the past year. I don't know if it's a 5% downtime, but it's frequent and getting worse. One of my neighbors has had techs come out to her house five times in the past two months, and has gotten five different excuses for the service issues.

We have some virtual machines that talk to each other over a Comcast connection (don't ask) and their current up time according to my outside monitors is at 98% and some decimal change over the past 6 months. I think for those of you familiar with SLA's should tell you all you need to know. (It's not 99.9999)

Also most Comcast Business SLA say they can be up and down all they want between the hours of 1 and 6am and any downtime less than 4 hours is tough poo poo.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Error 404 posted:

This poo poo has been happening in Portland too.
At least Portland is supposed to get Google Fiber right?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Cicero posted:

At least Portland is supposed to get Google Fiber right?

Yes*

*May not serve some specific neighborhoods, or the poorer sections of town, or...

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

See I can't even load that video. The background and links etc all load, but not the main video. Youtube's been so bad the last few months, but I don't think it's my internet issue since other sites seem fine.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Youtube has become almost completely unwatchable for me over the last few months as well. I thought about getting Netflix in the past, but with my connection the way it is now there's no real point. I have Centurylink out in South King, dropped Comcast a year or so ago due to the connection dropping several times a day.

This might just be :tinfoil: but issues with Youtube loading all seemed to start around the time of the Anti-Net Neutrality FCC vs Verizon ruling.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
How do you do on speedtests? Got a buddy with a normal connection who can proxy for you? I've heard of that kind of thing helping people.

There was just some hubbub in the news, too, about people getting better Netflix speed/quality with VPNs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is the more modern version of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

We have some virtual machines that talk to each other over a Comcast connection (don't ask) and their current up time according to my outside monitors is at 98% and some decimal change over the past 6 months. I think for those of you familiar with SLA's should tell you all you need to know. (It's not 99.9999)

Also most Comcast Business SLA say they can be up and down all they want between the hours of 1 and 6am and any downtime less than 4 hours is tough poo poo.

I've got some Smokeping servers running at multiple sites along Lake Union to poll the data so I can put the screws to the reps. I'm consistently down from around 10:30AM - noon. Maybe not everyday but pretty drat close. Some outtages correlate and some don't which makes me think its on the backbone and not localized.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Internet service shouldn't even be a thing owned by corporations. In this day and age, it's a critical public service. But, of course I believe the same thing about electricity, water, and phones, and the vast majority of people don't find anything unreasonable about private ownership of the resources, even as they complain about their utility bills. There is a better way, but people are assholes.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

BlueBlazer posted:

I've got some Smokeping servers running at multiple sites along Lake Union to poll the data so I can put the screws to the reps. I'm consistently down from around 10:30AM - noon. Maybe not everyday but pretty drat close. Some outtages correlate and some don't which makes me think its on the backbone and not localized.

Its definitely up in their part of the network, I've had half a dozen techs to three different sites and they can find nothing wrong.

Of course at that point it devolves into "you must be making the outages up" because theres no way it could be some larger problem on their part. At this point I don't know how much of it is corporate culture and how much of it is "I'm sure I know better than you" techy smugness. Probably both but my systems are going to get to switch to fiber soon so I'll get to have some fun negotiations with the Comcast reps the next time franchise comes up for renewal where we won't be reliant on them.

Karma is a bitch.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Its definitely up in their part of the network, I've had half a dozen techs to three different sites and they can find nothing wrong.

Of course at that point it devolves into "you must be making the outages up" because theres no way it could be some larger problem on their part. At this point I don't know how much of it is corporate culture and how much of it is "I'm sure I know better than you" techy smugness. Probably both but my systems are going to get to switch to fiber soon so I'll get to have some fun negotiations with the Comcast reps the next time franchise comes up for renewal where we won't be reliant on them.

Karma is a bitch.

It really is, I've been working the Wave folks to pull lines down on the docks but havn't got too much so far, at this point I would be grateful for Century link to pull fiber as well.

I just have to say I love my Tacomian, municipal broadband and will shout its praises as long as I can. It's worth the extra 5$ to say "F** you Comcast"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

RuanGacho posted:

Of course at that point it devolves into "you must be making the outages up" because theres no way it could be some larger problem on their part.

Currently fighting t-mobile with this attitude. My data service doesn't work in a specific area of a single city where it worked previously, clearly it's somehow my phone and not one tower taking a poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

computer parts posted:

That was probably it. There's also a sign on the way back from Newport that's just "Just Choose Life!" with a picture of a baby on it.

There's one of those along the Spokane Street Viaduct in Seattle and it's a picture of a smiling baby that says "My daddy says I was a real surprise!"

I honestly don't know what that message is meant to imply other than "Just because you're pregnant out of wedlock doesn't mean you should get an abortion and not tell the father."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Bucket Joneses posted:

There's one of those along the Spokane Street Viaduct in Seattle and it's a picture of a smiling baby that says "My daddy says I was a real surprise!"

I honestly don't know what that message is meant to imply other than "Just because you're pregnant out of wedlock doesn't mean you should get an abortion and not tell the father."

There's one of Mukilteo Speedway as well. The Print Shop (remember that program?) level quality along with the use of Comic Sans really seals the deal.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2612727/No-one-willing-to-second-Kshama-Sawants-proposal

Kshama Sawant's resolution on Seattle power rates fails to get a vote

quote:

A proposal to study possible changes in the way Seattle City Light bills its customers was shot down during a city council committee hearing.
The public utility has different classes of customers with residential customers charged under one rate structure and commercial customers getting a different, usually lower rate, based on size and location.

City Council Energy Committee chair Kshama Sawant thinks it's unfair that residential customers pay more for power than commercial customers.

"Seattle City Light is a public utility and how much to charge every customer should be a policy decision based on what is fair," she argued. "The whole bulk user rate is a sales tactic that for-profit corporations use and I don't see why we are bound by that."

Utility representatives call the rate structure complex and based in part of the cost of service.

Sawant's resolution sought a review of the utility's rate structure "with a view to lowering the cost to Seattle City Light's non-business customers beginning in 2016."

When she called for a vote at the end of a 30-minute discussion, no council member was willing to offer a "second" and the resolution died.

A populist issue withering on the vine? Say it ain't so, Seattle!

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Gerund posted:

http://mynorthwest.com/11/2612727/No-one-willing-to-second-Kshama-Sawants-proposal

It will be interesting to see just how stable the Seattle Council will be now that some of them will have to defend themselves from having a district.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RuanGacho posted:

It will be interesting to see just how stable the Seattle Council will be now that some of them will have to defend themselves from having a district.
Thus far, it looks like the biggest loser is likely to be Kshama Sawant.

SOMEONE RUN AGAINST JEAN GODDEN, GODDAMMIT!

Anyone else enjoying watching the complete collapse of Mars Hill?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 26, 2014

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Thanatosian posted:

Anyone else enjoying watching the complete collapse of Mars Hill?
Me, gleefully. If people want to be spiritual or religious, that's ok, but any flavor of zealotry is bad.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If I'm working with a kid with mental health issues and he's like "oh I go to Mars Hill" I'm like gently caress, kid that's the last thing you need.* Like, people with actual auditory hallucinations do not need to go where people are pretending to speak in tongues.

*I cannot actually say this

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Gerund posted:

I'm pretty drat sure that there are huge nonprofits that can take advantage of those lower rates, such as the UW, hospitals and the like. The idea this this is nothing more than a gift to evil corporations is a bit rich.

I can also see that it would be easy to leverage lower prices in exchange for efficiency improvements or shifts to off peak usage are easier to get done with a few large customers than a bunch of tiny but numerous homes. I don't know enough to say that this is happening here, but I know it's done for traffic reasons. That's why Boeing starts first shift around 5-5:30am instead of a more typical 7-8am.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm pretty drat sure that there are huge nonprofits that can take advantage of those lower rates, such as the UW, hospitals and the like. The idea this this is nothing more than a gift to evil corporations is a bit rich.
"Sawant's resolution sought a review of the utility's rate structure "with a view to lowering the cost to Seattle City Light's non-business customers beginning in 2016."

This resolution merely calls for the issue to be studied. It sure as hell doesn't target nonprofits, and if you've ever heard anything she's ever said, you know that she would certainly try to target large corporations who get away with enough sleazy bullshit as it is.

quote:

I can also see that it would be easy to leverage lower prices in exchange for efficiency improvements or shifts to off peak usage are easier to get done with a few large customers than a bunch of tiny but numerous homes. I don't know enough to say that this is happening here, but I know it's done for traffic reasons. That's why Boeing starts first shift around 5-5:30am instead of a more typical 7-8am.
Pretty sure Boeing, with its billions of dollars (some of which were gleefully gifted to it by the legislature!), can also afford a small hike in energy prices a lot easier than families that are already struggling due to rising rent and stagnant wages.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Boeing is looking for any reason to get out of this state anyway. We should stop hitching our wagon to those assholes.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bucket Joneses posted:

Boeing is looking for any reason to get out of this state anyway. We should stop hitching our wagon to those assholes.

I recently had a Boeing manager, who happens to be one of our city council members utter the phrase "I don't see what reducing staff has to do with a reduction in services." - in reference to a city government of less than 50 staff members as opposed to Boeing's 168,000.

Everyone who wasn't on the council or completely braindead pretty much went ":jerkbag: Yeah ok, let us know how that's going for Boeing coincidentally right as you hit retirement age and don't need to worry about it"

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You don't need to convince me of the myopic views of Boeing Senior Leadership.

This is a company that hired me as a contractor for over two years, hired me fulltime in May and is laying me off permanently in October.

Nothing makes sense and no one expects it to. It's just madness at this place.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Bucket Joneses posted:

You don't need to convince me of the myopic views of Boeing Senior Leadership.

This is a company that hired me as a contractor for over two years, hired me fulltime in May and is laying me off permanently in October.

Nothing makes sense and no one expects it to. It's just madness at this place.

It says really something about how insulated their management is that everyone who isn't management I know pretty much says "It's just a question of if a plane falls out of the sky or orders start actually getting canceled because they're 10 years late now for them to realize what they're doing" Boeing is pretty much WhyMBAsarebad.txt

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've been here 8 years and that definitely sounds accurate. Were you hired in on 787? I heard a round of layoffs were just announced about a week or two ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I've been here 8 years and that definitely sounds accurate. Were you hired in on 787? I heard a round of layoffs were just announced about a week or two ago.

Yea 787-9 power systems testing. We were ramping up for some new work but then all the budgets got cut for the rest of the year and layoff notices started coming out.

It sucks because this is literally the worst time to look for a job. No one hires until January unless you want to work poo poo retail.

• Locked thread