Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Did that 980 just decisively beat a 780 Ti with what's supposed to be something like 100W less power draw? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I noticed the 970 is being compared not to a 780, but to a Gigabyte 780 GHZ edition.

Stock 780 is 863/900
780 GHZ is 1020/1072, it is a significantly faster card than the 780

So overall it seems this card sits right in the middle of a 780 and a 780 Ti.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Most articles have the price for the reference version anywhere from 300 to 330, but a few have it as high as 400.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Did that 980 just decisively beat a 780 Ti with what's supposed to be something like 100W less power draw? :eyepop:

Looks like, although the mhz they're using for 780ti is unrealistic in real life by ~200+ mhz. Of course if aftermarket cards also have the same kind of increase over reference then that is a relevant comparison. The real winner looks like the 970 though, nice.

Twerk from Home posted:

If those number are in line, I'd expect the 970 @ $399 and the 980 @ $549 or so. I see an R9-290 on Newegg for $340 right now, so AMD may not have to adjust at all.

That was AMD's adjustment, they just did it ahead of time. It was well timed

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 18, 2014

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Looks like I'm going to feel pretty good upgrading from a 680 DirectCUII to this 980 for 2560 * 1600 gaming then!

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Will the 970 be available with custom coolers at launch or will they only be available with the lovely reference cooler for a while?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
If the 980 can beat the 290x at 4k+ I might think about changing. Wonder if EVGA will roll out a classy with 8+6 and push the poo poo out of the chip.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

spasticColon posted:

Will the 970 be available with custom coolers at launch or will they only be available with the lovely reference cooler for a while?

All the pictures posted here of nib units have been MSI so far

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spasticColon posted:

I thought that the GTX 770+ reference coolers were fine? Didn't people really like the Titan reference cooler?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

spasticColon posted:

Yea, uh, the nvidia reference cooler that's been in use for a while on 770+s is totally fantastic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

veedubfreak posted:

If the 980 can beat the 290x at 4k+ I might think about changing. Wonder if EVGA will roll out a classy with 8+6 and push the poo poo out of the chip.

It's ~15% faster at 2560 * 1600 for a mere 54% of the power usage of a 290X. I mean, fuckin :laffo:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm on a 5850, but wanting to move to a bigger monitor. I've held out for 5 long years, I can hold out for 20nm Maxwell if it's going to be cheaper and faster, but the GTX 970 is going to really tempt me.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm on a 5850, but wanting to move to a bigger monitor. I've held out for 5 long years, I can hold out for 20nm Maxwell if it's going to be cheaper and faster, but the GTX 970 is going to really tempt me.

Man, if you still have a 5850, the 970 is going to be a mindblowingly huge upgrade. It's not worth waiting for 20nm now.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
huh looks like the 980 GTX is a gig more memory at a 20% speed increase, guess I'm using that stepup

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Gwaihir posted:

It's ~15% faster at 2560 * 1600 for a mere 54% of the power usage of a 290X. I mean, fuckin :laffo:

I want to see how it handles triple 1440 or 4k though. My setup is 11.5 mil pixels with bezel compensation ><

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

Man, if you still have a 5850, the 970 is going to be a mindblowingly huge upgrade. It's not worth waiting for 20nm now.

If my GTX 285 had DirectX 11 support I might have waited for 20nm (or at least The Witcher 3). Despite its age it still handles most modern games surprisingly well so I imagine the 5850 isn't in too bad of a shape either.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I used to wait until games were 100% slideshow / not even launching to upgrade, which took me down the Geforce 2 Ti -> X800 Pro -> 8800GT path, but then system requirements completely stagnated and my 5850 seemed to be doing fine on modern games like Wolfenstein: New Order and CoH 2 without even turning down the graphics much.

I remember back in 2007 when my barely 3 year old X800 Pro was unable to even launch Bioshock, which required shader model 3.0. Now the first game that has even made me think about reducing detail from the High with moderate AA area is War Thunder on a 5 year old GPU. It's DX11 and has gotten absolutely massive performance improvements from driver updates, and for some reason people forget that the 5850 was the same speed as the 6870 and overclocked higher.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 18, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Twerk from Home posted:

I used to wait until games were 100% slideshow / not even launching to upgrade, which took me down the Geforce 2 Ti -> X800 Pro -> 8800GT path, but then system requirements completely stagnated and my 5850 seemed to be doing fine on modern games like Wolfenstein: New Order and CoH 2 without even turning down the graphics much.

I remember back in 2007 when my barely 3 year old X800 Pro was unable to even launch Bioshock, which required shader model 3.0. Now the first game that has even made me think about reducing detail from the High with moderate AA area is War Thunder on a 5 year old GPU. It's DX11 and has gotten absolutely massive performance improvements from driver updates, and for some reason people forget that the 5850 was the same speed as the 6870 and overclocked higher.

Yeah, the skyrocketing popularity of consoles definitely stagnated the GPU arms race, which can be a double edged sword I'll admit. On one hand, if consoles hadn't stagnated the tech, we'd probably be a lot farther along by now. However, the absence of a desperate need to upgrade graphics cards more than once every 5 years or so nowadays is really nice.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, the skyrocketing popularity of consoles definitely stagnated the GPU arms race, which can be a double edged sword I'll admit. On one hand, if consoles hadn't stagnated the tech, we'd probably be a lot farther along by now. However, the absence of a desperate need to upgrade graphics cards more than once every 5 years or so nowadays is really nice.

One of the good things though is that if you do upgrade every cycle, your old cards are still worth selling. So you can recoup some of your costs.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I just bought a GeForce GTX 760 and was wondering... does a single one of these cards have the ability to support three monitors or does that still take two physical cards like it always has?

veedubfreak posted:

One of the good things though is that if you do upgrade every cycle, your old cards are still worth selling. So you can recoup some of your costs.

Yeah, good point.

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie

GreatGreen posted:

It's really strange. I have no reason to upgrade from my 660ti. All I want to 4k 120khz(for 3d), but that way to much for any graphics card in the near future. So there is like a dual reason for me not to upgrade, my current graphics card is powerful enough for any games and any new graphics cards aren't powerful enough for what I really want.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

FSMC posted:

It's really strange. I have no reason to upgrade from my 660ti. All I want to 4k 120khz(for 3d), but that way to much for any graphics card in the near future. So there is like a dual reason for me not to upgrade, my current graphics card is powerful enough for any games and any new graphics cards aren't powerful enough for what I really want.

The 660ti is dear to me. It was the first card that I really got into and pushed to its limits. Definitely a good 1080p card, although it has pretty sudden limitations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GreatGreen posted:

So I just bought a GeForce GTX 760 and was wondering... does a single one of these cards have the ability to support three monitors or does that still take two physical cards like it always has?

Any Kepler card (including your 760) should support 3 monitors just fine.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Any Kepler card (including your 760) should support 3 monitors just fine.

Awwww yiss.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

FSMC posted:

That's ridiculous.

There are significant upgrades in between these two scenarios, and your dream scenario is not possible currently for reasons other than GPU power.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Any word if the 9xx cards will have hdmi 2.0?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

GreatGreen posted:

This is true only to a certain extent IMO. Besides the fact that consoles represent most of the mainstream market which keep the demand for graphically demanding/high budget titles in the first place, DX9 would probably still have been lagging behind just as long as it has been now, so that users with lower-end GPUs could actually play new releases.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Don Lapre posted:

I could easily cherry-pick a rumor that says so! Or you could wait 'til tomorrow.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

One of the articles posted earlier said they do.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
970/980 are out!!!

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=29086

E: and ordered a 970!

Guni fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 19, 2014

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Those AUS prices are hilariously terrible.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Took me a second to realize those were in Dingo Dollars.

Anyone know Nvidia's setup for multiple monitors (I'm using a dvi, 2x mini DP, and an HDMI on my current to push 4 monitors)? I'm really tempted by this 970, I have a 7950 right now, and I'm thinking of upgrading, though this card has been nothing but awesome the entire time I've owned it. I'm trying to do 3x 1080, but not sure how that'll fare with the 970. I'm assuming playable framerates, given that it's not that much harder to push than 1440p, and the thing is testing very well @ 1440p.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Welp, looks like this finally spells the end for my ailing SLI 570 setup. Next week I buy new cards!

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
So 4K... Does it really look that good? I still think lower resolutions with SSAA looks just loving fabulous. Those soft edgessss.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

spouse posted:

Took me a second to realize those were in Dingo Dollars.

Anyone know Nvidia's setup for multiple monitors (I'm using a dvi, 2x mini DP, and an HDMI on my current to push 4 monitors)? I'm really tempted by this 970, I have a 7950 right now, and I'm thinking of upgrading, though this card has been nothing but awesome the entire time I've owned it. I'm trying to do 3x 1080, but not sure how that'll fare with the 970. I'm assuming playable framerates, given that it's not that much harder to push than 1440p, and the thing is testing very well @ 1440p.

Kepler does up to four screens, using all of the ports on the back of the card. If it has two DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort, use whichever you want in whatever combination. I don't think Screens can be combined in a single large surface, and bezel correction is available. The screens have to be all the same model (not literally, but practically - same timings, refresh rate, resolution, color depth). Only three screens can be in a Surround group - the fourth is a separate Accessory Display.

I believe they have DP MST support, but it's still limited to four displays total. Not really relevant to you I think

It works. Eyefinity is more mature, more capable, and more flexible, but Nvidia Surround hits all the basic checkboxes.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Reviews just went up on guru3d.com

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-and-980-reference-review,1.html

Also, Pricing confirmed:

Guru3D posted:

GTX 980: $549 / 452 EUR (ex VAT)
GTX 970: $329 / 270 EUR (ex VAT)
GTX 760: moves to $219

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's up on AnandTech: http://anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I'm too tired to read it, but the pricing alone (especially the $970!) is awesome. Performance looks good. 970 close to 780ti reference! wow

I feel like I need to preempt this though. Reference 780ti != aftermarket 780ti, here is guru 3d on your typical 780ti

Regardless, this is nice. Slightly above expecations.

No apparent trouble with 4k too despite the memory bus figures, I'll delve into it more tomorrow though. Hopefully my hunch was right about all that even though I have no idea why it is that way

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 19, 2014

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

1gnoirents posted:

I'm too tired to read it, but the pricing alone (especially the $970!) is awesome. Performance looks good. 970 close to 780ti reference! wow

I feel like I need to preempt this though. Reference 780ti != aftermarket 780ti, here is guru 3d on your typical 780ti

Regardless, this is nice. Slightly above expecations.

No apparent trouble with 4k too despite the memory bus figures, I'll delve into it more tomorrow though. Hopefully my hunch was right about all that even though I have no idea why it is that way

This makes me extremely happy - for me personally, I can't justify paying $250 extra for the 980, and BF4 is pretty much the only game I play @1440p.

Can't wait for this sucker to arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty happy. I was expecting to spend 550$ to get the top tier card, but it looks like I'll get away with only spending 330$. I thought it'd be a similar situation to the 770 vs the 780, but it seems closer to the 680 and 670 except they're released the same day.

Edit: Hah, we posted nearly the same thing at the same time. Guess I'm not alone.