Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I installed office 2013 on my workstation because someone should learn it in case there's ever a business need for it

outlook 2013 is actually decent

word and excel though? :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

duTrieux. posted:

i have a stack of free licenses/subscriptions for 2013 and i'ms till using 2010.

yea i bought it for :tenbux: from my employer's home use program, took one look at the new interface and promptly uninstalled it and went back to office 2010.

im guessing after they finish backpedaling metro in win8 they'll get around to fixing the office UI in 2015. (either that or make it even worse)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they're backpedaling on metro but not touch, which means that the office "optimizations" to help with touch are here to stay

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

so i was working in excel earlier today and command-c and command-v started acting wacky.

looked at the edit menu and

it was fine after a restart. i guess Start Dictation somehow got moved to the top of the list and moved all the shortcuts down by two positions :confused:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

duTrieux. posted:

they're backpedaling on metro but not touch, which means that the office "optimizations" to help with touch are here to stay

show us on the doll where ballmer implemented touch on you

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i just watched the season premier of The Mindy Project and they had a whole scene of them using Windows 8 on a huge touch screen TV

the episode aired 2 days ago. it is here to stay

Cardboard Box A posted:

Tell me what you want to do...

the ALL CAPS menus i think has something to do with visual studio iirc

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

insert design is right

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Number19 posted:

I installed office 2013 on my workstation because someone should learn it in case there's ever a business need for it

outlook 2013 is actually decent

word and excel though? :stonk:

you immediately changed it to the dark grey theme, right?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i just watched the season premier of The Mindy Project and they had a whole scene of them using Windows 8 on a huge touch screen TV

the episode aired 2 days ago. it is here to stay

agreed, microsoft would never aggressively promote something today only to neglect or discontinue it tomorrow

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

so i was working in excel earlier today and command-c and command-v started acting wacky.

it was fine after a restart. i guess Start Dictation somehow got moved to the top of the list and moved all the shortcuts down by two positions :confused:

this is loving with me so hard

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

i have a stack of free licenses/subscriptions for 2013 and i'ms till using 2010.

can i have one

i dont use windows and have never used office 2013 but i want to install it in a vm for laffs

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

minivanmegafun posted:

how in the gently caress

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

you immediately changed it to the dark grey theme, right?

I put it on the one that sort of looks like a circuit board.

e: i just switched to dark grey with circuit and it is indeed better.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

duTrieux. posted:

lol

also, why

they really didn't want people pirating their poo poo I guess

the copy protection consisted of a sector with an invalid size so it couldn't be written if you were copying the disk. 10 sectors at the beginning of the disk contained an anti-pirate message directed at hackers and the invalid sector.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
yeah physical copy protection that wrecked/de-aligned drives even when working as intended was fun to deal with on the c64

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the 1541 didn't really need help getting dealigned

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Phoenixan posted:

how in the gently caress

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Internaut! posted:

yeah physical copy protection that wrecked/de-aligned drives even when working as intended was fun to deal with on the c64

was it elite that churned the drive so hard for its copy protection that it would knock it out of alignment half the time you played it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One of the casualties of the latest round of job cuts at Microsoft is the Microsoft Research (MSR) Silicon Valley lab.

On September 18, Microsoft officials acknowledged the company would be cutting 2,100 jobs across the company worldwide as part of the previously announced layoffs of 18,000 disclosed in July 2014. Of today's cuts, 747 are in the Washington state area, and 160 total in California, a Microsoft spokesperson said.

Derek Murray, a Microsoft Research researcher in distributed systems, tweeted that "Today they (Microsoft) announced that the lab in Silicon Valley will be closing, effective Friday."

Microsoft Research's Silicon Valley outpost, located in Mountain View, Calif., was founded in 2001 and currently employs close to 50, a company spokesperson said.

The MSR Silicon Valley lab is primarily focused on distributed computing research, including "privacy, security, protocols, fault-tolerance, large-scale systems, concurrency, computer architecture, Internet search and services, and related theory," according to the web page for the lab.

MSR Silicon Valley is managed by Microsoft Distinguished Engineer Roy Levin.

Microsoft operates a number of Microsoft Research labs worldwide, including labs in Asia, Cairo, Cambridge (UK), Europe, India, Israel New England, New York City and Redmond.

A Microsoft spokesperson confirmed the Silicon Valley research lab is closing this Friday, and noted that an undisclosed number of those researchers will be offered jobs at other Microsoft Research labs.

The spokesperson characterized the closing as a "consolidation of the west coast labs."

He noted that Microsoft still has 2,500 employees working for the company in the Silicon Valley area including individuals working on Skype, Yammer, Bing, Outlook.com and Xbox. He said the cuts today do not mean Microsoft is backing away from its research commitments or necessarily closing any of the research projects that are run out of the Silicon Valley lab.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

and there was a press release about it

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
the purchase of minecraft for 2.5 beeellion is just sweet irony. cut research and buy minecraft--i wonder how much longer nadella has to start producing results before the board acts

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
closing the r&d labs wtf?????

like is that even saving money? who did this calculation? does microsoft not have access to basic spreadsheet software like Microsoft Excel?

?????

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

closing the r&d labs wtf?????

like is that even saving money? who did this calculation? does microsoft not have access to basic spreadsheet software like Microsoft Excel?

?????

it would not surprise me for a second if i were to find out that ms charges its departments for office licenses.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

msr spends billions and billions a year and their only visible work is:

OG giant surface table
photosynth
an onlive thing where it renders multiple button presses then send the right one down a video stream

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

qirex posted:

msr spends billions and billions a year and their only visible work is:

OG giant surface table
photosynth
an onlive thing where it renders multiple button presses then send the right one down a video stream

kinect was MSR initially right?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

kinect was MSR initially right?

I thought they bought it from another company

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
I guess they don't need to work on fault tolerant systems now that they own Minecraft

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
jonathan carlson (microsoft research redmond) gave a neat talk at my university about modeling the evolution of HIV and new machine learning techniques that were required since it evolves so drat fast

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
all i could think of during his talk was "his slides look like metro"

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
"but satya we're just hours away from a cure for HI-"
"shut it down"
"this could save lives"
"I SAID SHUT IT DOWN"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Blackula69 posted:

"but satya we're just hours away from a cure for HI-"
"shut it down"
"this could save lives"
"I SAID SHUT IT DOWN"

30 seconds later

"alright guys, throw that supercomputer modelling the HIV virus into the trash and move the new mind craft game people in. time to really make a difference"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

qirex posted:

I thought they bought it from another company

the software was Rare and the hardware was an Israeli company now owned by Apple

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
could someone who is actually smart about computers read this interesting thing about windows 3.1 and tell me what it means

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2014/09/12/10557431.aspx

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ctrl alt del made the kernal try to ask stuck processes to quit, then made it try to quit them itself, then told it to restarted everything depending on if you kept mashing it/the process was still stuck

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Blackula69 posted:

could someone who is actually smart about computers read this interesting thing about windows 3.1 and tell me what it means

before windows 3.1, in MS-DOS if you hit ctrl+alt+delete your computer would restart immediately

you also only had one program running more or less

in windows 3.1 they've added multitasking to let you run multiple programs at once, and that is basically an explanation of how it handles ctrl+alt+delete in various situations

if it's a MS-DOS application it just kills it immediately

if it's a windows application it set a value to 0, asks the program to check in by setting the value to 1, and if it does then it's still in a working state, if after the 3/4 second it's still at 0 then something is up

after that it starts to quit programs by force

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

whatever windows 3.1 application has focus owns a sort of synchronization token of which there is one system-wide copy. no thread can block whatever owns the token so even if an application is "hung" it's trying to make progress on whatever it's doing.

every time the windows scheduler had the token, it set a magic register to 1. every time it lost focus, it set the magic register to 0. this allows the ctrl+alt+delete handler to know if something's hung or not.

when you ctrl+alt+delete, the ctrl+alt+delete handler checks if the running program is an MS-DOS program. if so, it terminates it immediately.

if it is a windows program, the ctrl+alt+delete handler sets the magic register to 0, tells the scheduler to inform it when it is available, and waits.

if the ctrl+alt+delete handler was never contacted by the system, then a device driver is hung and it pops up a blue screen saying that will give focus to whatever owns the token when you press a key so you can respond to it.

if it was contacted and the magic register is 1, then the token is being passed around properly. nothing is technically hung and it'll pop up a blue screen saying that no application is hung, go gently caress yourself.

if it was contacted but the magic register is 0, then a windows application is hung and won't relinquish control to the windows kernel. it told device drivers to finish up their current tasks, waited about 3 seconds, and popped up a blue screen saying the system is busy or unstable.

finally, if no device driver is trying to accomplish a task, then it pops up a blue screen saying a specific program is hung. if you tell it to exit, it just waits for the CPU to be executing that program, and will trigger a DOS interrupt for the running program to immediately terminate.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

it would not surprise me for a second if i were to find out that ms charges its departments for office licenses.

you would think so but employees can download/install pretty much whatever microsoft makes.

there are very strict rules about acquiring third-party software, though, particularly if the company responsible for that software is on the internal poo poo list

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

you would think so but employees can download/install pretty much whatever microsoft makes.

there are very strict rules about acquiring third-party software, though, particularly if the company responsible for that software is on the internal poo poo list

can we get a copy of this poo poo list? :allears:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
1. apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
maybe microsoft bought minecraft so they could use it for free

• Locked thread