Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Free speech means I get to say whatever I want, wherever and whenever I want, with no consequences, and if you disagree with me about anything then you're literally infringing on my rights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ol qwerty bastard posted:

Free speech means I get to say whatever I want, wherever and whenever I want, with no consequences, and if you disagree with me about anything then you're literally infringing on my rights!

I disagree!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

KoldPT posted:

Zoe Quinn killed 4chan, rest in peace.

The gnashing over this gamergate bull is hilarious. However I've been seeing this video passed around lately in regards to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MxqSwzFy5w

AEI, our favorite neocon think tank, has been getting in on the culture wars and pandering to nerds who just want to be told that they aren't the problem.

Other great hits include:

"Are you sure you've been raped? Maybe you're just a whore."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNsJ1DhqQ-s

"Why would a woman want to be a scientist?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-6usiN4uoA

And "Why having colleges spend equally on men's and women's sports programs is the same as just chopping off dicks."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUvuLuLarr0

I've seen AEI videos posted a fair bit on reddit with no hint of irony. It seems that morons are so willing to be told that women are out to get them that they'll lay down with the same people who developed Bush 2's foreign policy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Please let Zoe Quinn kill reddit next, I'll buy all of her free games.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Wasabi the J posted:

In Canada, they get SUPER sensitive about calling natives FIRST NATION PEOPLES the wrong thing; I've told a story in another thread where I was getting a tour in Stanley Park, and they looked at me like I was a loving rear end in a top hat because I said natives when inquiring about their culture.

The people were all white.

I'm also Métis and we call each other all sorts of things. Indian, native, First Nations, skins, aboriginal, nish (though that one is attributed just to the Anishnaabe (Ojibwe)). Some terms piss some people off and not others. You can never please everyone with one term. Your white tour guides may be surprised to learn that some folks don't like being called First Nations.

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study

Toriori posted:

Haha yeah. I'm métis and I have found it's a matter of personal preference. Some people don't care at all, some people care A LOT. I've met many Ojibwe people who are preferring "anishnaabe", the Ojibwe word for "people". I had someone filling out a form and asked if he could put it down, so I said yes and he goes "good, it's the only right answer." I said it was definitely a term that's being used more, he said that it should be the only one used, but it's not exactly the best term if you're, I don't know, not Ojibwe?

Didn't know you were Métis too, nice to see another on here :)

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Tracula posted:

I've mentioned before but SJW is just an absolutely worthless term now. I guess it used to describe slacktivists which fit but now it's "Literally anyone who gets mad when I say friend of the family, femanazi, or make rape jokes."

Actually, it means "literally anyone who disagrees with me," hth.

I feel bad now for having used "SJW" in the past, because now it's become this ridiculously shrill, paranoid label.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

KoldPT posted:

Zoe Quinn killed 4chan, rest in peace.

Ahaha, these guys have the worst persecution complex. It's basically Illuminaty-level conspiracy theories by now. Oh wait, that's not accurate, the Illuminati at least are supposed to do something important like running the entire world, rather than trying to take away their imageboard and videogames.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
has anyone said cultural marxism yet?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Shared with no information whatsoever.
Who is he?
What's wrong with him (if anything)? Is he already cured, or dead?
How exactly are a million likes going to pay for a kidney?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Ahaha, these guys have the worst persecution complex. It's basically Illuminaty-level conspiracy theories by now. Oh wait, that's not accurate, the Illuminati at least are supposed to do something important like running the entire world, rather than trying to take away their imageboard and videogames.

No, you see, Ms Quinn is the most important person in the world, she jets around and has sex with random gamer journalists, 4chan mods, etc etc, on the drop of a hat.

I mean, just look at all the favourable reviews her game got :crickets:

:tinfoil:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Part of Everything posted:

I'm also Métis and we call each other all sorts of things. Indian, native, First Nations, skins, aboriginal, nish (though that one is attributed just to the Anishnaabe (Ojibwe)). Some terms piss some people off and not others. You can never please everyone with one term. Your white tour guides may be surprised to learn that some folks don't like being called First Nations.

I used to say First Nations because I thought it was the right thing to do, but then I woke up and realized I was an idiot white person. That term is fine for formal talk and writing, but day to day, not so much. I met the former Chief of the Stoney-Nakoda tribe this summer. He called himself Native and Indian. I'm not going to be the one to decide what he should refer to himself as, and saying all white people have to say First Nations just makes us all look like we're afraid of you guys as a whole, which is more disrespectful than any non-slur word.

I also had the good fortune of seeing Winona LaDuke give a speech at my school last week, and she used terms interchangeably too.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
Will this get you idiots to SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT GAMES?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ha! Who wears shirts while browsing the internet?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

SteveVizsla posted:

That doesn't work if you're not wearing a shirt.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Picnic Princess posted:

I used to say First Nations because I thought it was the right thing to do, but then I woke up and realized I was an idiot white person. That term is fine for formal talk and writing, but day to day, not so much. I met the former Chief of the Stoney-Nakoda tribe this summer. He called himself Native and Indian. I'm not going to be the one to decide what he should refer to himself as, and saying all white people have to say First Nations just makes us all look like we're afraid of you guys as a whole, which is more disrespectful than any non-slur word.

I also had the good fortune of seeing Winona LaDuke give a speech at my school last week, and she used terms interchangeably too.

Yeah, that's the big problem with trying to have a single demonym for an ethnicity comprised of disparate subgroups. Kind of like how, when I was in grade school, we were taught that the proper word for the peoples indigenous to Alaska was "Inuit", not "Eskimo" - then finding out later that at least one of the groups referred to as "Eskimo" are most definitely against being referred to as "Inuit".

I'm with you - maybe white people shouldn't be trying to tell other ethnic groups how they should be referred to.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I just subbed in "white", since I'm glow-in-the-dark pale, which gives me "Doctor Fuzzy Belly" which seems like an accurate if uninspired name.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

It does if you're white, tan, red, yellow, or black.

Oh no wait, my dog's name is Bark Woofalo still. Guess this thing doesn't work.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

SteveVizsla posted:

Whose phone number starts with zero?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
not effective as a phishing scheme, 2/10

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Whiteycar posted:

Pretty much all Finnish phone numbers start with zero.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Whiteycar posted:

All French people.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Whiteycar posted:

All UK numbers start with a zero if you include the area code.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Whiteycar posted:

All numbers in the Netherlands too.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Whiteycar posted:

yeah pretty much any country that isnt the us

US #1 :patriot:

e: +1

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SteveVizsla posted:

Hey, don't kink shame.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SteveVizsla posted:

I got Moon Moon

I got Captain Fluffy Belly.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
mods change my name to professor furry cheeks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Why hello there Miss Puffy Liver Lips :stonk:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Here is an unbelievably terrible video from the finest Britain has to offer;

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152237439672330&fref=nf

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Does anyone have a list of the people in the NFL being brought up on domestic violence this year handy? According to my mom (I'm not big on sports) all of them are black and I'm curious on if that's true or not.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

RareAcumen posted:

Does anyone have a list of the people in the NFL being brought up on domestic violence this year handy? According to my mom (I'm not big on sports) all of them are black and I'm curious on if that's true or not.

It may be that way simply because 'Big Sloppy' Ben Roethlisberger hasn't been caught in a while.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My job puts me close to kids in High School going to D1 football programs (a lot of which move on to the NFL eventually) and the idea that these guys, who have been celebrities since they were 13 and on their way to being millionaires before they're even old enough to drink, are not the most well adjusted people on the planet ... should not be news to anyone.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RareAcumen posted:

Aaron Hernandez literally murdered people

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

:2bong: Deep thoughts on a post about the world's tallest statues.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Stoatbringer posted:

Shared with no information whatsoever.
Who is he?
What's wrong with him (if anything)? Is he already cured, or dead?
How exactly are a million likes going to pay for a kidney?

This implies his mum has the ability to get him a new kidney already but won't until he gets enough facebook likes. Firm but fair parenting I think, nothing's free kid!

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
A whole bunch of people on Facebook have put up statuses about pretending to be a carrot, any insight as to what bullshit that's about?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

CherryCat posted:

A whole bunch of people on Facebook have put up statuses about pretending to be a carrot, any insight as to what bullshit that's about?

Aren't we dangerously close to breast|testicle cancer awareness season? That's usually my guess for these things, but I haven't looked at FB for a few days and have no idea if that's going on (my sister is a breast cancer survivor, so she often posts such things if they're going on)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

CherryCat posted:

Of course CherryCat is suspicious of carrots :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koala Food
Nov 16, 2010

I thought the conversation was going to go in a totally different direction after the second image...

• Locked thread