Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I work at Magic Kingdom, and thus am a walking talking map of the place. Anything you want to know, I can help.

The rides are geared towards families, less thrill and more fun. There are still some thrill rides though of varying degrees. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain are fun coasters, Splash Mountain is the best drat log flume ride in the world, and the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a fun little mixture between coaster and dark ride. That doesn't even scratch the surface of things to do though.

Yeah i'm not a big thrill ride person so that's why I choose MK over like Busch Gardens. That said, it's awesome knowing there's buckets of stuff to do. Is the Carousel of Progress still there and the Hall of Presidents? I like old theme park rides. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

Is the Carousel of Progress still there and the Hall of Presidents? I like old theme park rides. :iiam:
Yep, went to both of these last week.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There is no reason to expect to be disappointed by Dole Whip. It is amazing and practically a religious experience.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well then, consider my anticipation loving sky high then. Let's hope I actually remember they exist this time. :suicide:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Dole Whip with rum.. thank me later.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I feel like a heretic when I say I like Dole Whip better when it's the vanilla/dolewhip swirl

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, it's all good.. when it's a Dole Whip (with rum).

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I had the orange Dole Whip with Creme de Cacao at F&W last year. It was alright. I'm headed down for the weekend of Oct 11, so I'm gonna look for the Dole Whip with rum this time.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hang a right when you get to the world showcase and it's the first food stand on the right.. not that I would be an expert or nothing on that particular spot, nope.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

For your perusal, here's the menu for F&W 2014

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

So me and the fiancé are headed down next week, but looks like most days are 50/50 for Tstorms...do they start shutting down certain rides? Rain is no issue but I'd hate to not be able to go on Splash Mountain 10 times....

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

So me and the fiancé are headed down next week, but looks like most days are 50/50 for Tstorms...do they start shutting down certain rides? Rain is no issue but I'd hate to not be able to go on Splash Mountain 10 times....

Rides that have portions outside will shut down if lightning (except the Tea Cups, because we have a roof)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I miss working Frontierland so much :smith:

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

demonR6 posted:

Nah, it's all good.. when it's a Dole Whip (with rum).

Please note, ingesting Dole Whip with rum and then riding the Orange version of Mission: Space is NOT recommended

It is a miracle I didn't hurl

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Crazyweasel posted:

Florida thunderstorms also last like 30 minutes so they won't affect too much.

I went to the food and wine preview today but I just had one stop - Singapore. The lemongrass curry chicken was excellent.

Put me down for vanilla,pineapple swirl. It's the superior choice.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We had a 60% chance today and not a drop here. I am less than three miles from the cast member parking at MK, pretty sure they were dry too.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

demonR6 posted:

We had a 60% chance today and not a drop here. I am less than three miles from the cast member parking at MK, pretty sure they were dry too.

Do the road closures for the special event fireworks effect you at all? My shifts sometimes get out 45 minutes before the fireworks start, which means I have 15 minutes to shuttle to the parking lot and hope to god my actual bus home is there before they close the roads. FUN.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
only when we cut through to get to our house faster when we are on the other side of town. Side note, are you working next Friday night? It's food truck night in downtown Windermere up the road from here and thought you might want to go. Fun time, good food.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'll be at WDW first thing in the morning. EPCOT tomorrow, I think, and MK on Sunday. I went ahead and took Monday off work, so I might give Blizzard Beach another go without the tour groups to contend with.

Assuming I am at EPCOT, where/how exactly does one walk to the Boardwalk from there? I've never tried that and I need to sneak off for a few hours to watch the Bama-Florida game.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 19, 2014

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Florida weather reports can be summed up as: "Is it summer? Probably 50% chance or so. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Doronin posted:

I'll be at WDW first thing in the morning. EPCOT tomorrow, I think, and MK on Sunday. I went ahead and took Monday off work, so I might give Blizzard Beach another go without the tour groups to contend with.

Assuming I am at EPCOT, where/how exactly does one walk to the Boardwalk from there? I've never tried that and I need to sneak off for a few hours to watch the Bama-Florida game.

Walk toward the International Gateway off the left side of the World Showcase. You'll exit the park there, and there's a foot bridge over the canal. Walk over that and you're at Boardwalk.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Doronin posted:

Between England and France in the Worlds there is an exit.

On my last trip I went to Property Control for the first time just to check it out. Pretty interesting driving through that area, behind the magic, seeing some of the different departments. It's like walking through the studio lot on the west coast. I didn't buy anything at property control, not sure how I'd fit that restaurant size condiment dispenser on my carry on.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'll encourage anyone who visits the parks to post some photos here. Would love to see construction progress, new attractions, etc. Anything cool really.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Braksgirl posted:

Walk toward the International Gateway off the left side of the World Showcase. You'll exit the park there, and there's a foot bridge over the canal. Walk over that and you're at Boardwalk.

tomapot posted:

Between England and France in the Worlds there is an exit.

You guys are awesome. Thanks! The only other time I've watched a game at ESPN Zone was last year, I think, when LSU was playing Stony Brook in the NCAA Super Regional (wife is an LSU alumna).

Lincoln posted:

I'll encourage anyone who visits the parks to post some photos here. Would love to see construction progress, new attractions, etc. Anything cool really.

Sure. I'll take some.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I'm going to be in Norway at Akershus on Oct 12 so I can post some photos of changes in that area. I don't know how much different it'll look since most of the construction will be indoors, but still.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lincoln posted:

My friend had her proper camera with her so I mostly just let her take a billion photos but here are a few of my phone shots from last week:

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside:

Rooms were decent:

I'm sure everyone takes this photo:

MK was starting to show signs of Halloween:

Dole Whip party!

The electric parade was fun:

Things least in need of novelisation:

Cryosleep
Jun 6, 2003

Time's UP!
Heading to EPCOT later today to the Food and Wine festival. My first time going to this event! Loved the flower and garden festival, though, so I'm guessing I'll enjoy this. Note: I don't drink wine. :-/

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Doronin posted:

Walk the path in blue, or take a boat, which will take you to International Gateway, where you enter Epcot:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Cryosleep posted:

Heading to EPCOT later today to the Food and Wine festival. My first time going to this event! Loved the flower and garden festival, though, so I'm guessing I'll enjoy this. Note: I don't drink wine. :-/

I don't drink either, but enjoyed the hell out of it when I stumbled on it last year. So much so that we planned our family vacation around it this year.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Braksgirl posted:

There.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Thanks for the weather details, went from bummed out back to super excited. Can't wait!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I was there was 32-33 every day (edit: celcius, no clue how your crazy temperatures work), with just ludicrous humidity such that we actively avoided the water rides because you didn't ever dry out, and in the afternoon there'd be heavy rain for an hour usually with thunder. Rides at Disney generally seemed to stay open in the rain except for Test Track. At Universal they closed the coasters in the lightning (we were sat on the front row of whatever dumb name Dueling Dragons has now waiting to launch when they closed it :( ).

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Tunga posted:

When I was there was 32-33 every day (edit: celcius, no clue how your crazy temperatures work), with just ludicrous humidity such that we actively avoided the water rides because you didn't ever dry out, and in the afternoon there'd be heavy rain for an hour usually with thunder. Rides at Disney generally seemed to stay open in the rain except for Test Track. At Universal they closed the coasters in the lightning (we were sat on the front row of whatever dumb name Dueling Dragons has now waiting to launch when they closed it :( ).

It's called Dragon Challenge which...isn't really any dumber than Dueling Dragons?

Not running the two cars simultaneously so they don't duel anymore is the dumb part.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

It's called Dragon Challenge which...isn't really any dumber than Dueling Dragons?

Not running the two cars simultaneously so they don't duel anymore is the dumb part.
Well, okay, it's dumb that they had to rename it because they don't duel. Sadly I never rode it the way it was intended, looks like it would have been great. Also red side 4 lyfe yo yo etc.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Cryosleep posted:

I didn't notice much emphasis on wine when I was there. Food was great though.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Wine gets as much play as it does the rest of the year, as does Beer. It's more about specialty foods paired with said beers and wines.

And it's good. I am supremly pissed off I screwed up my knee and wasn't able to attend the cast preview last night.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I hate wine but love the food so very much.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
We're going to be out there the 26th-29th if anyone wants to meet up for grub and bevies at epcot.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Whoops forgot to book the fireworks/dessert thing and now it's booked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also the park does not completely shut down due to rain.. lightning though within ten miles I think triggers management into OMG SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING NOW!!