Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Free case I ordered actually arrived. Doesn't look half bad:

It's this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

God drat it I do not want to explain a new Photos organization system to my grandma again. Christ, Apple. Get it right and be consistent.

I guess I'll tell her to hold off on iOS 8 for a bit until I even understand what the new system is.

Yeah Apple seriously needs some elderly testers on staff if they are going make changes like this.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Every new iOS release should be about making features easier to use and more intuitive, though, and then they go and do a stupid thing like this.
The ghost of Scott Forstall strikes again!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Does anyone have the tumblr App working successfully with their photos app? From what I understand you should be able to post photos and poo poo to other apps, but I don't have Facebook or twitter to test and my tumblr app seems to crash whenever I try to send it a photo straight from my camera roll*

* Or whatever the camera roll is called now, not getting the new photos app yet

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

withak posted:

Yeah Apple seriously needs some elderly testers on staff if they are going make changes like this.

And I'm pleased to announce our newest creation, iOS 9: Large Buttons edition!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Using Moments to browse photos on my device wouldn't be such a problem if the order of the photos wasn't inconsistent.

Very often I'll have a photo that I took yesterday appearing before photos I've taken today for some inexplicable reason. It's caused some accidental photo deletion which really had me annoyed so I just avoided it altogether.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fordan posted:

Just imagine a TouchID button on the bottom and a 1 megapickle camera on top.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fordan posted:

Is Jitterbug still around? I bet they'd be all over an old folks iphone.

Just one app, a giant green phone handset icon on their one page springboard interface.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So the iCloud Drive Photo Library thingy where it uploads full size photos and keeps optimized ones on the phone? Did that not make it in at the last minute or something?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

So the iCloud Drive Photo Library thingy where it uploads full size photos and keeps optimized ones on the phone? Did that not make it in at the last minute or something?

Correct: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/12/apple-demotes-icloud-photo-library-beta/

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

So am I paying 9.99 a month for unusable storage at this moment?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Uhh it's not hard to comprehend at all, just a little more inconvenient to navigate.

You click the photos app and it loads a giant list of every single photo on your phone ordered by date. Why would you have to explain that?

That's already a pain in the rear end, but it seems to me that downloaded photos from emails or messages are sorted by their original capture date rather than the date you downloaded them, which for me makes them invisible.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

That's already a pain in the rear end, but it seems to me that downloaded photos from emails or messages are sorted by their original capture date rather than the date you downloaded them, which for me makes them invisible.

Just navigate to your download folder and open them from there? Don't have to worry about whatever dumb sorting method the app is using, then.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm digging the "Hey Siri" function on iOS 8. But after she answers, the phone stays on and doesn't go to sleep for a long time, so I have to say "Hey Siri" "Nevermind", and then it goes to the lock screen, then to sleep. I know it doesn't matter much since the phone is plugged in, but is there a better way to make the phone go to sleep quicker?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
So, the iPhone 6 is now out in Australia. But there's basically zero stock of the 6+ anywhere, including the Apple Store due to "shipping delays" :laugh:

Ask me how I know!
the hard way :smith:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
another messages issue, get a text, write a quick reply, someone else texts, you lose what you were typing. lot of shite.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

If I buy a prepaid SIM to use while in another country, will my iMessage still work the same or no?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Updated to ios8, and my phone contacts now includes facebook people. I'd rather not have that. How do I fix?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Updated to ios8, and my phone contacts now includes facebook people. I'd rather not have that. How do I fix?

Settings -> Facebook then hit one of the buttons there.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

If I buy a prepaid SIM to use while in another country, will my iMessage still work the same or no?

I did this in May when I went to the states. iMessage/Facetime won't keep your normal number with the pre-paid SIM in, just your temporary number. Anyone that has been iMessaging your regular number won't work, but ones that have been messaging your email address will continue to work like normal.

Once you get back to your home country it should automatically switch the number back.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
So who else is planning on waiting in line tomorrow? I usually just preorder but this time I want to actually see the two different phones before purchase.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
So I haven't checked in awhile but what is the best way to read my Gmail on my phone? I remember back in the day I had to add it as an exchange account if I wanted it to work properly. Still the case?

If the official mail app is the best, what's the optimal way to say up a Gmail account?

Or am I better off just using the Gmail app?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Gmail app is the best option.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

rear end Catchcum posted:

So I haven't checked in awhile but what is the best way to read my Gmail on my phone? I remember back in the day I had to add it as an exchange account if I wanted it to work properly. Still the case?

If the official mail app is the best, what's the optimal way to say up a Gmail account?

Push email with Gmail was grandfathered. If you had it setup, you could keep it. Get a new device (like me)? Too bad, its back to polling every X minutes, unless you use the Gmail app.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

You just tap the Gmail icon in mail and log in.

Or you can use the Gmail app.

Or just use the _______ app on the App Store.

I use the default app mostly because no other app seems to loving realize that I don't want my mail to be "innovated" upon and I just want to read and reply.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Chemmy posted:

Gmail app is the best option.

I've been using myMail and it is excellent. With a bigger screen, the jury might be out though, but for now I might say it's the best mail app

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Snuffman posted:

Push email with Gmail was grandfathered. If you had it setup, you could keep it. Get a new device (like me)? Too bad, its back to polling every X minutes, unless you use the Gmail app.

I had it set up but am getting a new phone...will it still work? How would i know?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Now that I have access to all these special keyboards I realized the original is my favorite... She was right there with me all along.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I had it set up but am getting a new phone...will it still work? How would i know?

It won't work. If you're getting a new physical phone, then the Gmail sync through Exchange will not work. The phone reports a device ID to the server, and so they'll accept IDs they've seen before the cutoff date but reject new ones.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Been using Mailbox and I have no complaints. In fact I started using the Mac beta and it's also pretty good.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ok thanks. So setting up Gmail as exchange is no go. It's either use mail and set up as Gmail, use Gmail app, or another 3rd party. Those are the only choices, correct?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Ok thanks. So setting up Gmail as exchange is no go. It's either use mail and set up as Gmail, use Gmail app, or another 3rd party. Those are the only choices, correct?

Just about, yes.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have my iPhone 6 64GB Space Grey.

it gets really warm while charging and syncing my apps.

it feels really nice to hold.

Facebook hasnt updated and it is currently scaling and looking like poo poo.

Everything else is pretty sweet.

Awful app crashes immediately.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Laserface posted:

Canceled my preorder. :colbert:

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008

Laserface posted:

Awful news.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

withak posted:

Settings -> Facebook then hit one of the buttons there.

I actually only have Paper app and not Facebook on my phone. And Paper settings doesn't have anything related to that.

[edit ] nevermind, I see I have a Facebook setting anyway. Thanks!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 19, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It works now and also scales and looks like butt.

It's the migration to retina all over again.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I actually only have Paper app and not Facebook on my phone. And Paper settings doesn't have anything related to that.

Check Settings -> Facebook anyway. :ssh:

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

ChocNitty posted:

I'm digging the "Hey Siri" function on iOS 8. But after she answers, the phone stays on and doesn't go to sleep for a long time, so I have to say "Hey Siri" "Nevermind", and then it goes to the lock screen, then to sleep. I know it doesn't matter much since the phone is plugged in, but is there a better way to make the phone go to sleep quicker?

You can also say "Hey Siri go away" or "get out of here". I found that out by accident while playing with "Hey Siri" earlier.

Unrelated: You can finally delete songs by Artist and Album in the Music App instead of having to do it song by song. I am unreasonably happy about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Has anyone got calling from iPad using iPhone working? I know it's technically not supposed to work on iPad 3, but after installing iOS8 on both devices, I started magically getting iMessages on my iPad. Plus, the option to make a call is still there, and it tries to make the call before giving a "call failed" error. It's pretty un-Apple for the option to do it to still show up if the device can't do it.