Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Ios8 runs like poo poo on my newly restored iPad Mini. Very disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
It runs like garbage on my iPad air, so I am not sure what to say.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
After updating my iPad to iOS 8, my settings has a red notification badge. I've gone through just about everything and can't find what this could be for. Anyone else having this issue or know what it may be?

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
That would be indicating that an update is available, though obviously you just updated. Sounds like it's stuck. Have you tried restarting?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Cawd Rud posted:

That would be indicating that an update is available, though obviously you just updated. Sounds like it's stuck. Have you tried restarting?

Sure have. I really don't want to have to restore it, but I will just to get rid of that big red bubble staring me right in the face!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I really want to clean out my mailbox on my iPad, but there's no "delete all" button for some reason. I found tutorials on youtube for a trick to delete everything at once, but it crashes Mail when I try it. Anything I can do?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

unlawfulsoup posted:

It runs like garbage on my iPad air, so I am not sure what to say.

My ipad Air runs flawless and I loving love the new Safari, it seems to reload less, so :shobon:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I find that iOS 8 runs fine on my iPad Air, except for all the drat bugs.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
My iPad Air and Retina Mini both seem more responsive with iOS 8 and everything seems smoother somehow. Other than iMessage, I really don't notice any other differences in my daily use so far.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

BisterdDave posted:

Sure have. I really don't want to have to restore it, but I will just to get rid of that big red bubble staring me right in the face!

I had this happen with ios 7. I tried everything short of a full restore but just ended up living with it.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Don Tacorleone posted:

My ipad Air runs flawless and I loving love the new Safari, it seems to reload less, so :shobon:

The GUI runs in slow motion for me and is far more annoying.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Would it be reasonable to assume that a next generation of iPad will be announced in late October as in previous years? I haven't heard any leaks or rumors.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

ArcaneMan posted:

Would it be reasonable to assume that a next generation of iPad will be announced in late October as in previous years? I haven't heard any leaks or rumors.

Nobody knows for sure, but yeah, it's reasonable.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

maduin posted:

Nobody knows for sure, but yeah, it's reasonable.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/09/17/apples-rumored-october-21-ipad-event/

Nope.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

As a day one iPad 3 purchaser, I will be so annoyed if they switch back to a spring iPad update schedule.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Since I updated to iOS 8, my iPad Air won't connect to the 5Ghz band of my router. Which is great, because it already wouldn't connect to the 2.4 band. Oh nooooooo please don't make me use my Surface.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This is awful. I have a 3 and everything takes forever to load now. Also you can't play videos in full screen through a HDMI adapter anymore, you just get a black screen with sound. It might not be the most elegant way to get internet video through my TV, but that is still a feature that should loving work, because I never had problems before.

Edit: Half the time when I browse these forums it doesn't even load a whole loving page. This is the most broken poo poo.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 19, 2014

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Always wait until .1 version of iOS before upgrading.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hakkesshu posted:

This is awful. I have a 3 and everything takes forever to load now. Also you can't play videos in full screen through a HDMI adapter anymore, you just get a black screen with sound. It might not be the most elegant way to get internet video through my TV, but that is still a feature that should loving work, because I never had problems before.

Edit: Half the time when I browse these forums it doesn't even load a whole loving page. This is the most broken poo poo.
Yeah, this broke my video-out for a lot of different apps using my analog composite video-out cable.

Strangely (and fortunately enough), the Crunchyroll app still does video-out through the cable.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, this broke my video-out for a lot of different apps using my analog composite video-out cable.

Strangely (and fortunately enough), the Crunchyroll app still does video-out through the cable.

Is that like a cooking how-to videos app? I have been looking for possible kitchen uses, I might have to give it a try.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

RVProfootballer posted:

Is that like a cooking how-to videos app? I have been looking for possible kitchen uses, I might have to give it a try.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

no it's an anime streaming app

don't look at me

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

iOS8 is buggy as gently caress and Safari won't let me highlight text using shift and arrows using my Logitech keyboard anymore. I hope they fix this quick.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

No. 6 posted:

iOS8 is buggy as gently caress and Safari won't let me highlight text using shift and arrows using my Logitech keyboard anymore. I hope they fix this quick.

Judging by how long iOS 7 took to get fixed up, I would not hold your breath. Right now my iPad Air feels like an iPad 2, progress.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Did you try wiping and reinstalling? Because my iPad Air doesn't seem any slower.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Endless Mike posted:

Did you try wiping and reinstalling? Because my iPad Air doesn't seem any slower.

I may have to, but I was hoping not to lose all my save game information and such. Ugh.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I updated when the GM went up and haven't had any speed degradation on my Air either. I got SMS relay to work but doesn't seem to work anymore :qq:. Phone calls seem to be getting relayed fine though.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Mahoning posted:

To be honest, iOS 8 is even a tad choppy on my iPad Air. I imagine it's just something that will be ironed out in the next update.

Ironically, my Air seems zippier than ever (or at least, in a long time) with iOS 8. Installing an iOS upgrade forces a reset though, which tends to kill any unnecessary processes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I can't tell any difference in performance between 7.1.2 and IOS 8 on my mini retina.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

serebralassazin posted:

I updated when the GM went up and haven't had any speed degradation on my Air either. I got SMS relay to work but doesn't seem to work anymore :qq:. Phone calls seem to be getting relayed fine though.

Same here. I think Apple did something on their end to remotely disable the SMS relay because it just stopped working one day.

In the Colosseum
Jan 2, 2008

They train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write 'fuck' on their airplanes because it is obscene.
I'm having wifi issues with my iPad Air ever since updating it drops the connection and everything is much slower.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Tacier posted:

I immediately regretted installing iOS 8 on my iPad 2. Everything is super choppy and my apps are crashing constantly. The iPad Air 2 can't come soon enough.

Yep, same. :( Never upgrade software that works.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003
So reading all the comments here is making me think I might wait to actually update to ios 8. That said, in the process of trying to clear up space for the update, I deleted all my apps, and it looks like I only have about 3 gigs worth of stuff left, yet usage is saying I'm using 9 gigs. I tried restarting and it still says the same thing. Any ideas? Screenshot: http://imgur.com/1NO8pdr

retpocileh fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 20, 2014

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Wow, 8 runs like hot garbage on my year-old iPad 4. Especially Safari, where you can't see the page title without gesture fuckery and blanks the page when you switch tabs half the time, and also private browsing apparently runs every tab as a separate session. Good design choices all around! The best part is 8.1 probably won't even let you switch back to a sane tab set-up.

E: Christ, is there any way to downgrade until Apple pushes out an acceptable replacement?

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 20, 2014

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Has anybody's 1stgen (16GB) iPad Mini gotten wrecked by 8? Gonna wait anyway, but I've only had it 3 months and wouldn't want to hurt the performance.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

retpocileh posted:

So reading all the comments here is making me think I might wait to actually update to ios 8. That said, in the process of trying to clear up space for the update, I deleted all my apps, and it looks like I only have about 3 gigs worth of stuff left, yet usage is saying I'm using 9 gigs. I tried restarting and it still says the same thing. Any ideas? Screenshot: http://imgur.com/1NO8pdr

I ran into that "mystery usage" before on my iPad. I did a backup and restore and it cleared it right up.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Szmitten posted:

Has anybody's 1stgen (16GB) iPad Mini gotten wrecked by 8? Gonna wait anyway, but I've only had it 3 months and wouldn't want to hurt the performance.

I've been using iOS 8 on my first gen iPad Mini (32GB) since release.

My only complaint is that Safari is just garbage now. It is so slow and unresponsive that it is unusable at times. Mainly when I try to watch anything with video in the page. Slow loading tabs, delayed typing where the keyboard is unresponsive then all of your characters just shoot onto the screen... That said, Chrome works perfectly and I have no noticed any problems with that.

If they can fix that on an update, I'd be perfectly fine with the iOS 8 update on the iPad Mini. I'd still hold off though, as the updates for the iPad Mini seem really minor.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Scratch-O posted:

E: Christ, is there any way to downgrade until Apple pushes out an acceptable replacement?

Download the 7.1.2 ispw and restore from iTunes. I think they're still signing iOS 7.

tirion
Sep 25, 2004
Anyone else having network issues on iOS8? I upgraded my Retina mini to 8 and now I can use the network for about an hour before it just stops connecting to everything and forgets its IP settings. I've tried enable/disable the WIFI and Airplane mode separately, and the only thing that seems to restore the connection is forgetting and then re-adding my WIFI or restarting the device.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Astro7x posted:

I've been using iOS 8 on my first gen iPad Mini (32GB) since release.

My only complaint is that Safari is just garbage now. It is so slow and unresponsive that it is unusable at times. Mainly when I try to watch anything with video in the page. Slow loading tabs, delayed typing where the keyboard is unresponsive then all of your characters just shoot onto the screen... That said, Chrome works perfectly and I have no noticed any problems with that.

If they can fix that on an update, I'd be perfectly fine with the iOS 8 update on the iPad Mini. I'd still hold off though, as the updates for the iPad Mini seem really minor.

I use Chrome so that might be okay for me. I'll still hold off though. Did some features skip the Mini then? (like the panoramas?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just noticed a pretty big bug in iOS 8. Maybe not a bug but a design flaw. I was reading something on my iPad and my phone started ringing. So my iPad starts ringing too which is fine, but I closed the case on my iPad to answer my phone and it ignored the phone call. Doesn't seem like a very good feature if it was intentional.