Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Quake, boys? is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Finished Outlast with the help of a game guide so I knew where the stupid jump scares were. Stupid jump scares aside it was an enjoyable horror game, I think I prefer Amnesia though because there's more thinking involved, while Outlast is mostly "this door needs key"->"find key"->"unlock door".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FF13 is not a terrible game, it's just extremely linear and the story is boring and nonsensical. If you enjoy walking to places while fighting enemies, there are worse games to have. Although I'd wait until it was on sale.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Pomp posted:

Do not buy FF13.

Too late.

:ohdear:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pomp posted:

Do not buy FF13.
Agreed. Buy FF4 instead, do not listen to the anime's lies.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

smenj posted:

Skimmed the last few pages and haven't seen anybody else asking, so here goes:

As someone who enjoyed the hell out of Arkham Asylum and City, is Origins worth getting for £5.74? I've heard lots of complaints about it (several of my friends say something's off with the combat, for some reason, though I have no idea what's apparently been changed), but other than a couple of things (plot not being as good and such), I'm not sure what those were. I've also heard a small minority say it's their favourite of the Arkham games. Shall I just go for it, or wait a bit until it's slightly cheaper (or goes on sale on GMG, where I have credit to spend)?

Yes, get it. I'd only not recommend Arkham Origins if you hated the first two games. But obviously, since you're a "big fan", then more of the same = more fun to be had.

JoJo pose! :peanut:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GreenNight posted:

FF13 is not a terrible game, it's just extremely linear and the story is boring and nonsensical. If you enjoy walking to places while fighting enemies, there are worse games to have. Although I'd wait until it was on sale.

It's actually a terrible game.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

A Bystander posted:

Real Deadly Premonition fans 100% percent the game.
I did this the other night and well I guess I can die now.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The Quake, boys? is it good?
Yes, it is (unless they've changed poo poo in the past few months). Plus you can import your legacy profile into the Steam version.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

Yes, it is (unless they've changed poo poo in the past few months). Plus you can import your legacy profile into the Steam version.

They added loadouts to Quake.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They literally turned it into call of duty

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
And damage numbers too.

It is bad.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Steam is kind of dumb sometimes.

Guess I'll wait until next week when the 15% off sale goes away to pick up Heavy Bullets.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Orv posted:

They added loadouts to Quake.

You cannot be loving serious.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

F.E.A.R. is on sale for $2.49. Does it work on Windows 7? If so, is it worth it for that price? I've heard that the bullet-time mechanics are pretty fun.

The first F.E.A.R. is pretty drat good, I find the second one to be decent (never played the DLC for it so I don't know how it is) and the third one is meh but the mech sequences are loving amazing and you can play as Fettel, who plays differently than Point Man's "FPS shoot the Mans Slo-Mo" style. And there's co-op too.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Zombie Samurai posted:

You cannot be loving serious.

It's not as horrific as it sounds. There's a new beginner-style playmode, with two main changes:

You spawn with two weapons (one 'primary', one 'secondary'), although weapon drops are still functioning same as ever.
You can bunny-hop by just holding the jump button instead of mashing it.

It's pretty much Quake 3, same as ever, but you don't spawn with a useless peashooter anymore.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You can't make a classic style server unless you're a subscriber though, if you're not you have to hope one's open.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
But literally... classic style is just "new spawns have mg and that's it". Is there really any other differences? I mean, on paper it sounds like I'd like DM a whole lot more if the whole game wasn't about get ahead/stay ahead by keeping opponent helpless.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

abraham linksys posted:

Steam is kind of dumb sometimes.

Guess I'll wait until next week when the 15% off sale goes away to pick up Heavy Bullets.

Ask Devolver about it, they'll probably try to find a work-around with Steam. They're pretty good when it comes to customer support.

Ed: Looks like they're already on it: https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/512746849485062144

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Dominic White posted:

It's pretty much Quake 3, same as ever, but you don't spawn with a useless peashooter anymore.

Dominic, you're a sharp guy and I like you, but you sometimes make some horrible oversights in your rush to defend things.

Quake was a game of map control. Real mastery of the game came from learning the maps, learning the spawns, and learning to deny your opponent the tools they needed. You spawned with a peashooter for a reason, that reason being that half the battle was clawing your way from uselessness to dominance. It's like the rollout in TF2 or the buy phase in CS, core parts of the game design that distance it from being just another shooter. If you can spawn with a rocket launcher or a railgun, you've hacked off a huge part of the Quake experience right there.

Is that a good design for casual players or the modern era of gaming? I don't know, maybe not. Is Quake Live a bad game? No idea. But that thing you posted there, that line I quoted? Not even close to the truth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Grimrock 2 question:

I didn't even know a Grimrock 2 was coming until I got an email from the Humble Store today...is the new one coming with the same type of map maker that the original has?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Dominic, you're a sharp guy and I like you, but you sometimes make some horrible oversights in your rush to defend things.

Quake was a game of map control. Real mastery of the game came from learning the maps, learning the spawns, and learning to deny your opponent the tools they needed. You spawned with a peashooter for a reason, that reason being that half the battle was clawing your way from uselessness to dominance. It's like the rollout in TF2 or the buy phase in CS, core parts of the game design that distance it from being just another shooter. If you can spawn with a rocket launcher or a railgun, you've hacked off a huge part of the Quake experience right there.

Is that a good design for casual players or the modern era of gaming? I don't know, maybe not. Is Quake Live a bad game? No idea. But that thing you posted there, that line I quoted? Not even close to the truth.

In Quake 3 you also started with a fantastic high risk/high reward weapon so if you did get into a fight on your way to a weapon you had a chance if you had good controls and a handle on the map.

It was also awesome.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

u guys playin that new quake game??? how it be??

Played it all night last night. Matchmaking got me into games quick and at the end of each match you get varied choices of different maps and ganetypes to pick to play next. Was fun as poo poo.

Didn't really mind the starting with two weapons stuff at first but it seemed to really imbalnce everything after awhile. Was still fun because I'm not too spergy about it.

RBX fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 19, 2014

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Is freeze tag still behind a paywall?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

jivjov posted:

Grimrock 2 question:

I didn't even know a Grimrock 2 was coming until I got an email from the Humble Store today...is the new one coming with the same type of map maker that the original has?
Yes.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

Is freeze tag still behind a paywall?

No, that was the most popular choice on the server I was on.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Any of the basic games in the weekly Humble Bundle worth $1?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Lexica's nice if you like word puzzles.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So, I just bought Ironclad Tactics- been waiting on a sale for that for years- and for some reason I got Spacechem and its DLC as well? It's in my inventory, but not as a gift from anyone or anything.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

Ask Devolver about it, they'll probably try to find a work-around with Steam. They're pretty good when it comes to customer support.

Ed: Looks like they're already on it: https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/512746849485062144

I don't get it. Just wait until the 15% discount is revoked on the 25th then use the coupon. Unless someone really, really needs to save that 40 cents I guess.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hi hello I've posted a thread for Roundabout, a video game now on Steam, made by a couple goons, with a bunch of goons appearing in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmJDoB8f8SA

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I don't get it. Just wait until the 15% discount is revoked on the 25th then use the coupon. Unless someone really, really needs to save that 40 cents I guess.

Some people don't wanna wait a week to buy a game that just came out? Especially when you have a coupon that could work right now?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Lance Streetman posted:

Some people don't wanna wait a week to buy a game that just came out? Especially when you have a coupon that could work right now?

So they can buy it? Coupons don't stack on discounts, this game shouldn't be an exception.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

I did this the other night and well I guess I can die now.

How was getting the very last trading card?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Verdugo posted:

So they can buy it? Coupons don't stack on discounts, this game shouldn't be an exception.

They don't want it to stack, they want the option to use the coupon instead of the discount. It's not exactly a difficult idea to grasp.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Verdugo posted:

The store discount is less than the coupon, idiot.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Zorak posted:

Hi hello I've posted a thread for Roundabout, a video game now on Steam, made by a couple goons, with a bunch of goons appearing in it.

I hate goons

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

SHUMPS have never really tickled my brain much but Crimzon Clover just gets it when it comes to making me feel like a pro with all the explosions and lasers and stars everywhere. This is opposite of the feeling I usually have when playing these types of games.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 19, 2014

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Zorak posted:

This is a really impressive mobile game it's a good concept ta boot.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
How is Batman™: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Deluxe Edition?

• Locked thread