Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

JohnnySmitch posted:

Super late to this party (spent the last week+ working through EVERY PAGE OF THIS THREAD).

For the Goontar - do they make any pots that just keep turning continuously; this would be great for the tone control (plus no numbers/indicators, so it's hard to dime the tone without turning just past 10 and resetting it to 0).

They do, but I've never seen any with a range suitable for guitars, I forget what they are called now...

This must go on the headstock. It's too good. I love it. I love you.

E: Any chance you could make it bigger? I'd like to it print out as sharp as possible. It needs to be seen.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 18, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Amazon is apparently the holy grail of ugly guitars. I started clicking around and found these wonderful specimens:

Just when I thought I had seen it all on Amazon, I stumbled across a little company called SkinYourSkunk that makes "premium vinyl skins" for your guitars! They have 2000+ items for sale on Amazon, just look at a few of these beautiful creations:

I'm impressed. Also the firebreathing cat one owns.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

White Dog Eggs posted:

They do, but I've never seen any with a range suitable for guitars, I forget what they are called now...

E: Any chance you could make it bigger? I'd like to it print out as sharp as possible. It needs to be seen.

I can maybe do one better... I may have access to a 3D printer...

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

JohnnySmitch posted:

Super late to this party (spent the last week+ working through EVERY PAGE OF THIS THREAD).

For the Goontar - do they make any pots that just keep turning continuously; this would be great for the tone control (plus no numbers/indicators, so it's hard to dime the tone without turning just past 10 and resetting it to 0).

And can the knob be super obnoxious like this:

My cheap as gently caress ibanez Gio has a spinning pot, tried to pull the plastic knob off with a pair of pliers and it just spun round. Now it spins freely, clicks for a second like a rotary switch at which point no sound comes out, clicks again and the volume starts going up again. If I could figure out how to do it again without wrecking a pot I'd do it for all my guitars but the two attempts since have been less than successful.

quote:

EDIT: updated SUPER PRO GOON TONE VERSION

Any chance of changing it to Tonese and making that the "brand" name? Pronounced simply as "Tones".

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Needs a Z at the end, other than that holy poo poo. :D
Oh wait, can you make it rainbow colored?
If I'm gonna die might as well do so while being as fabulous as possible.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Dave Mustaine :allears:.

Has he recorded any Christian music yet? That'd be funny as poo poo.

not overtly but in retrospect it's obvious he was gonna become one of those ex-junkies turned bible thumpers

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

comes along bort posted:

not overtly but in retrospect it's obvious he was gonna become one of those ex-junkies turned bible thumpers

dude did too many drugs for metallica

that's basically the bullet train to being a born again anything

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

JohnnySmitch posted:

I think I just came. If you print that out it would be fan-loving-tastic!

iostream.h posted:

Needs a Z at the end, other than that holy poo poo. :D
Oh wait, can you make it rainbow colored?
If I'm gonna die might as well do so while being as fabulous as possible.

JohnnySmitch if you could put a Z at the end and possibly print it out rainbow coloured (not sure if that's possible, no worries if it isn't, I can always paint it) that would be awesome and I'd happily pay you for your trouble.

E: Goontar update. The wiring for this guitar is insane and it turns out that I've done it wrong, so I'm going to have to get my electrical engineer friend to figure it out for me. 8 pots (2 Volume, 2 Tone, 1 Blend, 1 master volume for the pre-amp and 2 EQ's) 3 toggles (2 individual pickup switches that go ON/COIL-SHUNT/OFF and a toggle/bypass for the pre-amp) and a separate circuit for a battery meter is apparently beyond me. This is the most complicated wiring I've ever done, hahaha.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 18, 2014

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

W424 posted:

Who the gently caress uses Reason?

I do, I like it. Why wouldn't you? Not sure I know of better software for creating your own instruments and atmospheric sounds.

I use Cubase for my live recording though, the reason package is kinda dumb for that.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am not sure why but double guitars make me so angry.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dirt posted:

Just when I thought I had seen it all on Amazon, I stumbled across a little company called SkinYourSkunk that makes "premium vinyl skins" for your guitars! They have 2000+ items for sale on Amazon, just look at a few of these beautiful creations:

I'm impressed. Also the firebreathing cat one owns.

Think they'd make a Goatse one? I've got a crappy Chinese LP body than needs ruining somewhere......

E: I love this one

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

White Dog Eggs posted:

Think they'd make a Goatse one? I've got a crappy Chinese LP body than needs ruining somewhere......

rear end solo

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

White Dog Eggs posted:

If I remember back to my late 90's collage days they were something like helical rotary pots/transducers.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

I think I just came. If you print that out it would be fan-loving-tastic!

JohnnySmitch if you could put a Z at the end and possibly print it out rainbow coloured (not sure if that's possible, no worries if it isn't, I can always paint it) that would be awesome and I'd happily pay you for your trouble.

E: Goontar update. The wiring for this guitar is insane and it turns out that I've done it wrong, so I'm going to have to get my electrical engineer friend to figure it out for me. 8 pots (2 Volume, 2 Tone, 1 Blend, 1 master volume for the pre-amp and 2 EQ's) 3 toggles (2 individual pickup switches that go ON/COIL-SHUNT/OFF and a toggle/bypass for the pre-amp) and a separate circuit for a battery meter is apparently beyond me. This is the most complicated wiring I've ever done, hahaha.

gently caress yeah I can print it in rainbow!
What size do you need it?

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

Quickscope420dad posted:

I do, I like it. Why wouldn't you? Not sure I know of better software for creating your own instruments and atmospheric sounds.

i thought reasons whole thing was that you could only use their plugins (which is why I avoid it). easy for it to sound like reason (though its been a long time since i've used it). great learning tool with the patching interface though

in terms of creating instruments max/msp and reaktor have it beat by a lot

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

JohnnySmitch posted:

gently caress yeah I can print it in rainbow!
What size do you need it?

The biggest I could get away with on this headstock is 25mm wide and 50mm long, thickness ideally about 3mm, but if it's any better I can recess it, so that's not too much of a problem.

This is awesome.

How many do you reckon you could print? I could use a few of these....

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

White Dog Eggs posted:

The biggest I could get away with on this headstock is 25mm wide and 50mm long, thickness ideally about 3mm, but if it's any better I can recess it, so that's not too much of a problem.

This is awesome.

How many do you reckon you could print? I could use a few of these....

Not a problem - email my your address and I'll try to get you out a care package sometime soon [it's my username @gmail]

I'm all about supporting the arts.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

JohnnySmitch posted:

Not a problem - email my your address and I'll try to get you out a care package sometime soon [it's my username @gmail]

I'm all about supporting the arts.

Sent you an email.

Man, I'm pumped. First I get get insane coloured knobs, now I'm getting 3D printed Gotase tone logo things. I love this forum.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

JohnnySmitch posted:

DO IT

White Dog Eggs posted:

E: Goontar update. The wiring for this guitar is insane and it turns out that I've done it wrong, so I'm going to have to get my electrical engineer friend to figure it out for me. 8 pots (2 Volume, 2 Tone, 1 Blend, 1 master volume for the pre-amp and 2 EQ's) 3 toggles (2 individual pickup switches that go ON/COIL-SHUNT/OFF and a toggle/bypass for the pre-amp) and a separate circuit for a battery meter is apparently beyond me. Thins is the most complicated wiring I've ever done, hahaha.

You've managed to make something more confusing than a Ripley guitar. :psyduck:

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 18, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

muike posted:

i just looked it up and gently caress i wish i had 6 grand, not least because i've wanted a b2 for like 10 years

i had a quote from bm for a b7 for like £2500 a few years ago before they really blew up and have infinite regret that I didn't pull the trigger :smith:

I mean if anything I could've sold it for mad cash at this point

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Quickscope420dad posted:

I use Cubase for my live recording though, the reason package is kinda dumb for that.

Logic is better than both of those for both applications hth

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Stux posted:

Logic better than Cubase? Woah.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
This is my extreme opinion on DAW software.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
*kickflips out of the thread*

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jesus gently caress.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

i think the shittar needs a big ol feather
or two coming off of it

maybe put it somewhere that it tickles you when youre tryin to play teehee

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien

Ferroque posted:

i think the shittar needs a big ol feather
or two coming off of it

maybe put it somewhere that it tickles you when youre tryin to play teehee

WOuld also be p. sweet to set the action differently on each string, and really arbitrarily
or even better, set the action differently on each string and let the differences be proportioned by the fibonacci sequence and then target it at tool fans

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

W424 posted:

Who the gently caress uses Reason?

you shut your filthy mouth

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wiring this guitar is going to kill me, I swear.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Stay safe White Dog Ghost

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Wiring this guitar is going to kill me, I swear.

Given the tonecaster is about being 'special' I think if you do an awful job it will only add to the charm.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

unlawfulsoup posted:

Given the tonecaster is about being 'special' I think if you do an awful job it will only add to the charm.

Doing an awful job is one thing, but it's still got to work. I >think< I've got it figured out, but I'll have to use push/pulls for the coil shunts and use different toggles for the pickups. Trouble is that in order to fit all that on I'll probably have to make a new pickguard, nrrrrrraaaaghhghgkjhkhhkfhjgjdffd.

E: The way I figure it, I'll have to put the active circuit after the passive, which means that the passive volume and tone knobs will still be in play when the active circuit is on. I was hoping to be able to install an option to turn the passive pots off when the active is engaged, but I can't figure it out.

It WILL work though. Eventually. Pray for me.

Barnaby Rudge fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 20, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

you got any good tips on getting a midi guitar working in logic because i'm a total dumbass and can't figure out how to get my rock band mustang doodad to work for it

works with my casio just fine (which works with logic using the same adapter) but not my pro audio software (likely because i'm a dumbass)

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
I found another lovely body I'd forgotten about earlier. Might cover it in denim to hide all the dowels tone plugs from where I messed up installing the bridge. I've got plenty of old jeans....

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
cover the pickups in flannel, do a canada guitar

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

cover the pickups in flannel, do a canada guitar

!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I want a load of those goatse tone logos. It's the perfect thing for me to put on all my stupid builds. JohnnySmitch you could be my hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fpjuoKhfJo

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

White Dog Eggs posted:

!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is why I want a load of those goatse tone logos. It's the perfect thing for me to put on all my stupid builds. JohnnySmitch you could be my hero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fpjuoKhfJo

I've got a 3d printer on the way and would happily print a 'shitload' of tone knobs if there's some sort of cad (.stl) file for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Here's my own Tele - what kind of dad am I?

You'll also see my gaudy as hell Dano on the left (for the $100 I paid, I love that thing)

This thread also inspired me to dig out the ugliest guitar I own from my crawlspace:

I lost the original tone knob, so I had to throw on a quick replacement

• Locked thread