Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Apparently Verizon moved the upgrade dates on people's accounts to an earlier date. Good news for the people in here worried about not having an iPhone 6 plusxxx as soon as possible. Shudder, catastrophe avoided.

For us it's if you have an upgrade on or before November 15th, you can upgrade now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Has anyone had any luck getting Verizon to actually pay out their advertised rebates? I bought an S5 off Verizon's website and it advertised a $50 rebate. The verizon folder that was in the box with the phone even had the rebate form. I filled it all out during the rebate time period, quadrupedal checking all the fine print to make sure I submitted everything, and mailed it in on time. Went to check on the rebate status tonight and:

Their own loving website which is advertising the rebate isn't participating in the promotion?

e: I did the 'contact us' thing on their rebate site but I assume to get anywhere will required calling repeatedly and take a ton of time. Just wondering if anyone has gone through it so I don't waste a bunch of time.

They responded saying that I was correct in my interpretation of their reasoning for denying it. Also they were sending the rebate. :psyduck: Rebates are such scams.

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 17, 2014

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
So, I've got a single line w/unlimited data (month-to-month). If I trade in my flawless 5S for the $300 credit toward the full-retail purchase of a 6, I'll still keep my unlimited or no?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

C2C - 2.0 posted:

So, I've got a single line w/unlimited data (month-to-month). If I trade in my flawless 5S for the $300 credit toward the full-retail purchase of a 6, I'll still keep my unlimited or no?

Pretty sure the trade-in deal was exclusively for signing a new More Everything or Edge contract.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Pretty sure the trade-in deal was exclusively for signing a new More Everything or Edge contract.

The FAQ page implies otherwise.

quote:

Trade-in your old iPhone and purchase a new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus with a new Verizon Edge agreement, a 2-year contract, or if you pay full retail price for a new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus

I'm going to drop off my old iPhone 4 this week in a store so I guess I'll find out soon enough if this is wrong.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I bought my Verizon iPhone 5 from Apple when it launched. I haven't done anything with/to it since then. Does that mean it's unlocked? Is every Verizon iPhone 5 that's off contract unlocked? Or do I need to get Verizon to do something to unlock it?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

I bought my Verizon iPhone 5 from Apple when it launched. I haven't done anything with/to it since then. Does that mean it's unlocked?
Yes.

quote:

Is every Verizon iPhone 5 that's off contract unlocked?
Yes. Regardless of contract status, they do not lock LTE phones.

quote:

Or do I need to get Verizon to do something to unlock it?
Nope! Enjoy your unlocked phone.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Has there been any word on Verizon rolling out wifi calling? I'm in a poo poo area for voice, and honestly if there's been nothing I'm changing back to T-Mobile.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

comper posted:

Yeah just went on to pre-order mine and the 16/64GB Grey/Silver 6's are all backordered, but the 16-128GB Gold are all delivered by launch day. Surprised, but I'm glad I get one launch day! I'm curious to see if the backorders are due to big demand or just smaller supply - would be surprised if THAT many people wanted to jump from a 3.5-4" to a 5.5" phone.

Just placed my order for a 6 and a 6 plus for my wife. 64 gigs, silver.

won't arrive till 10/28

Thats my reward for needing more time to decide if I wanted a huge phone or an even more huge phone.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
For this iphone 6 trade-in program they're doing...has anyone checked if you can pay the extra $$ to get a 64gb or 128gb phone or are they only offering it for 16gb iphone 6?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

For this iphone 6 trade-in program they're doing...has anyone checked if you can pay the extra $$ to get a 64gb or 128gb phone or are they only offering it for 16gb iphone 6?

Any iPhone 6 or 6+ is fine.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

hoobajoo posted:

Any iPhone 6 or 6+ is fine.

:thumbsup:

el_caballo
Feb 26, 2001
Just had my first Verizon customer service experience. It was exactly what I hoped. Called to see if it was possible to upgrade my preorder iPhone to the next larger size. Figured it was a 50/50 possibility.

I was told by both customer care and sales that Verizon has no record of me in either system. Both departments transferred me to the other. Total people spoken to: four. On my fourth transfer, rather than getting connected with sales, I was sent back to the main menu except I had my number pad privileges revoked and couldn't choose any options. I timed out back to customer care. This new customer care rep couldn't find me either but sounded sympathetic and asked if she could put me on hold to "try something." I felt a small amount of admiration for her when I realized she had actually just kicked me back to the main menu again. But now my number pad was working. I wondered at this point if I could just walk away from the whole thing, since my whole pre-order and new service order took place in a different timeline. Instead, I chose sales and was connected to my sixth Verizon rep. He told me that I had definitely signed an agreement with Verizon, that I was going nowhere, and that there was no way to change an order once it was placed, short of canceling service and doing the whole credit check thing again. I declined and got off the phone feeling a little winded. There was essentially zero hold time and this all took place in less than 20 minutes.

It was like a modern short story -- spare, tense dialogue between a small cast of characters with different regional accents, some mild drama, low-stakes suspense and then a letdown ending where the hero ends up in the same place where he started. But I got to meet a half-dozen new people, and if you look at it a certain way, I'm $100 richer than when I started. 5 stars.

el_caballo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 17, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I am currently a T-Mobile customer, but I travel a lot and its signal is not great in a lot of places. I can get a 20% discount with Verizon through my company, and was looking at the new iPhones. Will Verizon sell them unlocked, like they did with the older iPhones? And with my 20% discount, what plan should I go for? I am more of a data user with the rare phone call, and some texting. I want tethering.

-edit-
So the main difference between the single line plan and the "more everything" plan is tethering, as far as I am concerned. Otherwise you get the same 2gb of data. You mean to tell me that tethering costs an extra $30? Are there any other substantial benefits to the More Everything plan that I may be missing? Is this EDGE stuff worth it?

Animal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 18, 2014

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

All Verizon LTE phones come unlocked.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Seems like the unlimited plans will be worthless now http://www.droid-life.com/2014/07/25/verizon-makes-it-official-throttling-comes-to-unlimited-4g-lte-customers-in-october/

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

That remains to be seen, apparently you're not going to be "throttled" in the same way that AT&T kicks you down to EDGE the instant you use a byte over 5GB.

On the other hand if it works fine here in St Louis where it's not congested, but it sucks in SF when I travel there on business, I may as well switch to T-Mobile where I can have the same experience and pay $90/month less.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The throttling only happens if the tower is at capacity, which doesn't happen in a lot of places. It's not that bad.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I am kind of wondering if I should give up my unlimited plan for the $450 subsidy on an iPhone 6 as well as the $13 per month drop in bill. I work at home and wifi is everywhere around the city so have only hit 2gb twice or so in the past two years with my s3.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I am kind of wondering if I should give up my unlimited plan for the $450 subsidy on an iPhone 6 as well as the $13 per month drop in bill. I work at home and wifi is everywhere around the city so have only hit 2gb twice or so in the past two years with my s3.

You might have just answered your own question there. WiFi isn't going to get less common somehow, and getting unlimited minutes and saving a few bucks a month is probably more useful given how weirdly brutal voice overages are.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Weird question : does the phone you trade in for the $200 towards the iPhone 6 have to be the same phone that you're upgrading?

My wife and I both have upgrades available on the same share everything plan. She has a 4s and I have a 5. My plan is to use her upgrade to buy her a 5s straight from Apple for $150. Then trade her 4s into verizon for $200 towards an iPhone 6 for me. Then I'll sell my 5 on Craigslist or whatever.

My only worry is that verizon might give me some trouble about trading in a different phone than the one on the line that is eligible for the upgrade.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Weird question : does the phone you trade in for the $200 towards the iPhone 6 have to be the same phone that you're upgrading?
I don't think so.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

There is no reason for you to have unlimited data.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Shifty Pony posted:

I did the same thing but to my surprise they gave me 6gb per month for the price of 2gb. Might as well try it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

This just sounds like a plan to get everyone on unlimited to use less data than people with a data cap.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There is no reason for you to have unlimited data.

Yeah that's pretty much the conclusion that I have come to as well.

Unless there is something squirrelly on iPhone that make them data hogs in a way an S3 is not.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
So, apparently the My Verizon data widget and mobile app are not updated very frequently even though it lists a date and time. I've been watching it like a hawk this past month and the night before my cycle ended, I was sitting around 99%, around 2022mb out of 2048mb. Get my bill and see I was charged a $10 overage fee. Downloaded my data into a spread sheet and it has me at 2258mb. I sort by date/time and the last thing charged on the day before put me at 2043mb. Almost like it's a full day behind.

Chatted with a Verizon rep who just stated that it's an estimate and nothing she can do. I understand an estimate but a full day or 200mb off is not an estimate.

10 year old account with a contract end date with 2 phones just 1 month away. very disappointing

fake edit: As I'm sitting at home, on wifi, only playing with the My Verizon app, I'm just watching my data usage go up. Does Verizon dip into my data bucket, even on wifi, to access their app?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

hoobajoo posted:

The throttling only happens if the tower is at capacity, which doesn't happen in a lot of places. It's not that bad.

Yeah because they're so trust worthy about this kind of stuff. (see Netflix)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Quick question. I have an iPhone 4. Upgraded to the 6. As I recall, activating the 4 was as easy as turning it on and going through the setup assistant. But the 4 was only 3G capable. And it looks like the 6 comes with a sim card. Are there any funky procedures I need to go through in the upgrade process? Already backed up to iCloud and whatnot. Is it as easy as shut off this phone, turn on the new one, and set up? Just wasn't sure if Verizon has some procedure I don't know about. Yes I know this is a dumb question.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

as simple as that.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I'm out of the country and I'm trying to add a global data plan but I'm having trouble. When I go to add the service from my verizon I get an error saying that my device (5s) is not eligible?

No big deal I guess, I'll just use their chat to have someone help me. Except that for the last 12 hours this is what I see when I try to chat:

Even though it's within the times they state it's never available.

I'm not about to spent $2 a minute trying to actually call customer service so does anyone have any idea on how I can get in touch with them?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Upgrading from my 4 and I've heard it's now cheaper, over the life of the phone (especially if I plan to keep it 3.5-4 years again), to buy out-of-contract. Is this true? How much will my bill be reduced?

Also, iMessages aren't included in the text plan, are they? I easily do less than 20 texts a month to non-iPhones, so dropping another $20/mo would be great and then I'd just eat the $0.10 hits.

Finally, Verizon pretty successfully confused me when it came to insurance. Would it be better to drop the $11/mo plan and get AppleCare? Are there things AppleCare doesn't cover that Verizon's insurance does, or was I hoodwinked?

Appreciate any help you all can give. I've been pretty out of the loop on Verizon plans the past couple years.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Finally, Verizon pretty successfully confused me when it came to insurance. Would it be better to drop the $11/mo plan and get AppleCare? Are there things AppleCare doesn't cover that Verizon's insurance does, or was I hoodwinked?

I don't know about the other things, but as far as the insurance question I believe the insurance Verizon offers is coverage against things like theft/loss of phone which is something AppleCare doesn't cover. AppleCare is primarily for accidental damage/hardware failures.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Cool thank you. I didn't think there'd be an actual difference, but that makes sense.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Dinosaurs! posted:

Upgrading from my 4 and I've heard it's now cheaper, over the life of the phone (especially if I plan to keep it 3.5-4 years again), to buy out-of-contract. Is this true? How much will my bill be reduced?

Well, if you bring over an out-of-contract phone, you'll get a $10 discount on Verizon plans (unless you have a 10GB data plan at which point its $25). So for a $649 out-of-contract price for an iPhone 6 16GB to pay for itself over the $199 subsidized price, you'd need almost 3.75 years of $10 discounts to make up for it.

quote:

Also, iMessages aren't included in the text plan, are they? I easily do less than 20 texts a month to non-iPhones, so dropping another $20/mo would be great and then I'd just eat the $0.10 hits.

All iMessages use data instead of texts. However, most Verizon plans now throw in unlimited texting anyway.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Okay so that's not a big enough discount to really matter. I've had this 4 almost exactly 3.75 years, but don't want to rely on stretching the 6 out just to break even.

Thanks.

Doing the 2-year contract would drop my unlimited data, right? I average ~2.3g a month so it won't be too hard to trim down to 2.

About a year ago I tried to drop my insurance (I'd long since matched the cost of the deductible) and text plan. I could handle losing unlimited data, but the new bill would have somehow been more expensive and I ended up keeping the additional plans to pay less overall. Look like I'll be at the mercy of whatever the new plan prices are now that I'm finally upgrading.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I'm not about to spent $2 a minute trying to actually call customer service so does anyone have any idea on how I can get in touch with them?

Call global services, for free!

http://m-support.verizonwireless.com/mobl/features.info_worldwideaccessnumbers.tp_3.html

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Wow thank you so much for this!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PREYING MANTITS posted:

I don't know about the other things, but as far as the insurance question I believe the insurance Verizon offers is coverage against things like theft/loss of phone which is something AppleCare doesn't cover. AppleCare is primarily for accidental damage/hardware failures.

This is true but you will spend over double for the life of the phone, the deductible is still I think $150 and you can't waltz into an apple store and out with a new phone. Just a few things to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

Okay so that's not a big enough discount to really matter. I've had this 4 almost exactly 3.75 years, but don't want to rely on stretching the 6 out just to break even.

Thanks.

Doing the 2-year contract would drop my unlimited data, right? I average ~2.3g a month so it won't be too hard to trim down to 2.

About a year ago I tried to drop my insurance (I'd long since matched the cost of the deductible) and text plan. I could handle losing unlimited data, but the new bill would have somehow been more expensive and I ended up keeping the additional plans to pay less overall. Look like I'll be at the mercy of whatever the new plan prices are now that I'm finally upgrading.

If you are going to drop your unlimited, make sure you ask for the Max Data plan of 6 gigs for $30. I'm not sure if it's even still available, but it was a special cheaper data plan to get unlimited folk off unlimited, and it has to be done then and there, they can't reread do that Max data later.

• Locked thread