Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Escher posted:

I am just getting into comics again, after a long hiatus, mostly thanks to how awesome digital comics are.

I am looking for good, stand-alone and complete (or nearly complete) series. Y the last man is a good example of a completed series I've really liked. Huge bonus points if the series ends really well.

I think Fables might qualify, being almost done. I used to love fables, but probably haven't read an issue since the 60s. I've heard very troubling things about its sustained quality. Does fables remain good?

For completed long runs, I would say definitely Sandman and Lucifer (Lucifer is a spin off of Sandman by a different writer, taking a lose thread and spinning it off into it's own thing, you don't really need to read the first to understand the other, but you should probably read the Seasons of Mists trade/arc before Lucifer, since it sets everything up. I don't think there is any interaction after that, and Seasons of Mist stands on it's own). I haven't read all of it it but I liked Ex Machina, which is by the same author as Y and I think had a definitive last issue.

Transmetropolitan and Planetary are both excellent series by Warren Ellis that end on a strong note too. If you want some Superhero poo poo, Brian Michael Bendis's run on Daredevil works in a three act structure and doesn't require a ton of background knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What might you recommend to someone who felt that way? Something bright, optimistc, inspirational, and not too much space opera? Bonus points if it's on Marvel Unlimited, but it doesn't need to be.

The current series of Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk. They should have at least a couple of issues on Unlimited by now.

http://marvel.com/comics/series/184...t=8&isDigital=1
http://marvel.com/comics/series/184...t=8&isDigital=1

e: New Ms. Marvel is created in the fallout of the Infinity event, but it's nothing to worry about.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 8, 2014

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What might you recommend to someone who felt that way? Something bright, optimistc, inspirational, and not too much space opera? Bonus points if it's on Marvel Unlimited, but it doesn't need to be.

Power Girl have dino punching:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For the last time comic book creators: Dinosaurs are not a credible threat to superheroes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

For the last time comic book creators: Dinosaurs are not a credible threat to superheroes.

They are to losers!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

They know.

EDIT: This also reinforces how badly the nu52 Superman costume SUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

What if they have symbiotes on them?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This would be a good time here in the recommendation thread to recommend Old Man Logan to anyone who wants to see what a good Millar book looks like.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

zoux posted:

This would be a good time here in the recommendation thread to recommend Old Man Logan to anyone who wants to see what a good Millar book looks like.

Only if you're particularly cruel.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Wanted to thank whoever recommended Loki: Agent of Asgard a while back. I dragged my feet on it because I count "all that Thor poo poo" along with "all that space poo poo" that is normally outside my enjoyment zone. But so far it's a ton of fun.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
So I recently re-read "Blacksad" and it left me craving for more. What im looking for is something that has a similar atmosphere and/or a similar art style.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

PaulDirac posted:

So I recently re-read "Blacksad" and it left me craving for more. What im looking for is something that has a similar atmosphere and/or a similar art style.

I think a new volume of Blacksad is coming out in October. If you like noir, then Criminal is pretty awesome but Sean Philips' art style is more minimalist. I would also recommend the Parker adaptations by Darwin Cooke. Again, a very different art style but the noir element is there.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wouldn't know if it's similar to Blacksad (it's definitely not art wise), but since Sporklift is mentioning crime books, I'll just say the excellent Stray Bullets is on sale right now https://www.comixology.com/Stray-Bu...m_content=Image you (and everyone) aught to give it a go.

e: I've never read The Last Days of American Crime https://www.comixology.com/The-Last-Days-of-American-Crime/comics-series/3675
but I have been reading Low, the new comic from the team, which looks amazing and from the previews this has the same great, unique look.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 14, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Wanted to thank whoever recommended Loki: Agent of Asgard a while back. I dragged my feet on it because I count "all that Thor poo poo" along with "all that space poo poo" that is normally outside my enjoyment zone. But so far it's a ton of fun.

Have you read Journey into Mystery?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mimir posted:

Have you read Journey into Mystery?

I haven't. From which point are you talking about -- doesn't that series go back to like the 50s? I saw it had some relaunch in 2011 but it looks like the first ton of it is in Fear Itself, which a friend matched to my expectations when he called it "turbo-dumb."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

As far as I remember, Fear Itself was a distant backdrop. Don't worry about it. Kieron Gillen's JIM is super, super good.
There are two crossovers though, with New Mutants in the middle and Fraction's Thor at the end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I haven't. From which point are you talking about -- doesn't that series go back to like the 50s? I saw it had some relaunch in 2011 but it looks like the first ton of it is in Fear Itself, which a friend matched to my expectations when he called it "turbo-dumb."

The 2011 relaunch is where to start, it's a fear itself tie in but thats mostly just back drop and you dont need much background knowledge to make sense of it. You dont have to read any other fear itself book to follow JiM. If after that you still need more kid Loki, Young Avengers volume 2 (same author) is really good too.

SqweetSqweetySanta
Dec 23, 2011
So I remembered about a comic I read year or so ago who's main characters were a red headed dwarf, a elf wizard of sorts, a foul mouthed gnome and another I don't remember. I've tried searching google to no avail. It was entertaining if only for the absurdity of it being in a fantasy realm. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm hoping there are new issues out of it now. Also is there any other comics in similar comedic style and setting?

SMP
May 5, 2009

Rat Queens?

SqweetSqweetySanta
Dec 23, 2011
Yep, that would be it. Thank you.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah, sorry - I was indeed specifically referring to Kieron Gillen's JiM, starting here. It was the best thing to come out of Fear Itself, requires no background knowledge (since Loki interacts only tangentially with the whiz-bang superhero bits going on elsewhere). It continues on for a year after that crossover, and is a very good story about a clever child-Loki.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know that it requires no background knowledge, since not only does it spin off from Siege: Loki and Gillen's Thor run, kid Loki himself is a result of something that happened in Fraction's run, which is itself a continuation of JMS' run. It's all very good, but I can't agree that it's mostly self-contained.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know that it requires no background knowledge, since not only does it spin off from Siege: Loki and Gillen's Thor run, kid Loki himself is a result of something that happened in Fraction's run, which is itself a continuation of JMS' run. It's all very good, but I can't agree that it's mostly self-contained.

I only actually read the mainline Siege story line and I followed it just fine.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I completely skipped Siege and all the other stuff you mentioned before reading JiM and I had a fine time of it. It was p easy to grasp what was going on. I guess I probably missed out on certain things but that lack wasn't really a problem at any point. JiM is what got me started on reading Thor related stuff, honestly.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Also, thanks to the person who recommended the new Ms. Marvel. I respected the idea of it for the sake of diversity and inclusion and all that but I didn't expect it would have anything for me, and I'm very happy to be wrong!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Also, thanks to the person who recommended the new Ms. Marvel. I respected the idea of it for the sake of diversity and inclusion and all that but I didn't expect it would have anything for me, and I'm very happy to be wrong!

I care more about it being fun and funny, but diversity and inclusion are okay, too. :D

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah I just didn't know that was gonna be in there. And while I probably don't check any of the boxes for who Kamala's experience is supposed to speak to other than I guess "nerd," I thought the stuff about her identity struggle had something to teach me too. When she sneaks out to a party to try to fit in only to find out that distancing herself from her heritage leaves it open to attack from her peers, that was something I'd never experienced or considered.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I need a recommendation. I've just finished reading the Frank Miller era Daredevils from the 80s. I never paid much attention to DD before but I really loved those. Some of the other Daredevil writers I've tried to read but they were mostly generic villain of the week type stuff and I didn't care for them. Basically, what else on Marvel Unlimited (I have a free subscription and I want to make the most of it) is like that: more focus on the human side than the costume side, the hero can lose fights, the supporting characters are sometimes given the chance to narrate from their point of view, and narrative tone and artwork that work together to make the environment come to life. Preferably nothing about saving the world or universe or multiverse. Keep it simple and relateable.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Bendis' Daredevil
Brubaker's Daredevil
Waid's Daredevil
Bendis' Alias
Brubaker and Fraction's Iron Fist
Fraction's Hawkeye
Maybe the recent Superior Foes of Spider-Man?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

These folks know more than me but I got recommended everything in Uthor's post. I really liked the Bendis run though it kind of hits a holding pattern about halfway through until the finale. There's more than enough good stuff in it to be worth reading. I lost interest in Brubaker after the first arc (which was excellent) so at least read that (AFTER Bendis because Bendis leads right into it) and then see if you want to keep going.

Can't tell you anything about Waid or Alias. Iron Fist, Hawkeye, and Superior Foes were all awesome.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Thanks guys.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Try the current She-Hulk from Charles Soule. It actually focuses on her being a superhero lawyer over a superhero.
It's really unique and fun.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm pretty new to comics - I'm coming in from an angle of artist trying out these funny sequential art things after reading my partners'. I'm a big fan of Invisibles and Tank Girl, and generally anything with nice art that isn't too up it's own arse. Preacher, most anything by Ashley Wood (despite the gorgeous art) are big dislikes, mainly cos they seem to think they're more clever than they are.

What I'm after is 'where to start with traditional superheroes' - I've read Superman: Red Son, Dial H, the first issue of Multiversity, and seen Flashpoint, loved all of them for the re-imagining of traditional superheroes. I've always found the idea of, say, straight superman/cap america/hulk/flash/etc boring as hell without actually having tried any, so given that list of likes, where would be a good start for finding out if the 'boring concept' thing is just a dumb preconception?

e: I should add, finished runs only, please - I can't stand getting into a story and then it not being all released yet!

VVV Totally getting hold of that Superman, though, that's exactly the sort of thing I mean! (The second pic has the pure :smug: that matches my mental image of superman, too!)

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 19, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

For a very straight, pure vision of Superman, totally check out All Star Superman. It helps that Frank Quitely is an amazing artist.

I'd also say to check out the current run of Daredevil written by Mark Waid.

Maybe check out Grant Morrison's Animal Man run for a deconstruction of a superhero.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you liked The Invisibles (and will like All-Star Superman and Animal Man) try out Grant Morrison's newly completed seven year long Batman epic starting here
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-Glove-Deluxe-Edition/dp/1401233368
https://www.comixology.com/Batman-Batman-and-Son-Deluxe-Edition/digital-comic/68457

He was also in charge of great runs of JLA in the 90s and the X-Men in the early 2000s.
Basically, buy Grant Morrison books :D

Also Animal Man by Jeff Lemire when you're done with Grant's.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 19, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Huh, I'm impressed - I'm actually looking forward to reading straight superman. The archetype of superheroes, and exactly what I dislike about the concept, and I'm anticipating it - kudos!

First pic: Everything I know about superman, in brutally terse, nicely drawn, shorthand.

Second pic: Superman's backpfeifengesicht expression. Seriously, if that shot zoomed out, it would include the fact he drove up a solid-gold ramp in his bentley and parked it in [insert supermodel]'s cleavage by powersliding through baby oil or something.

I really want to see what the thing is to challenge the smug oval office that isn't an alternate universe him. (Bear in mind I'm coming from Red Son, Flashpoint, Multiversity). I know I'll be disappointed and he'll use "gently caress you, I'm the ubermensch" powers, but a girl can dream, right?

On that note - does anyone know any good stories told from the bad guy's POV?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

petrol blue posted:

On the Superman tip, Brian Azzarello's "Luthor".
https://www.comixology.com/Luthor/digital-comic/57733

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Welp, gently caress my bank balance.

(For reference, my mental image of Superman is pretty much the same as The Adventures of Kim Jong Un. Who decided that his superpowers should be 'all of them'?)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

All Star Superman is just such a good and pure take on the character and, gently caress, I need to reread it now.

petrol blue posted:

Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips do a ton of crime comics together. Their best known is probably Criminal about various, well, criminals and are pretty much straight forward.

Incognito has a "powers" bent following some super villains in witness protection.

Sleeper is the closest to a typical super hero comic, following a guy in deep cover in a powered criminal organization and is heart breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

petrol blue posted:

Welp, gently caress my bank balance.

(For reference, my mental image of Superman is pretty much the same as The Adventures of Kim Jong Un. Who decided that his superpowers should be 'all of them'?)

Yeah, that's not really what Superman, at least when well written, is all about.

petrol blue posted:

Darwyn Cook's Parker adaptations are about a remorseless criminal. They're crime books not super heroes, so no one in spandex ever shows up to save the day.