Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I've got mine setup to set a pin lock on my phone when I'm not connected to my home wifi network.

I'm pretty sure it needs root though, and apparently that functionality is built into some newer phones.

So yeah, I'm agreeing with you 100%.

I tried to do the same thing on my G3, but it kept making my nav bar disappear when it disabled the pin, so I trash canned it. I'm sure it was an easy fix, but I'm bad at Tasker. Honestly, I'd rather set it up to enable a pin every 15min or so, then disable it after I put it in, but still have the swipe to unlock. I tried to set it up like this on my Note 3, but it kept being weird, so I gave up on it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I hate android keyboards. I like to space with my right thumb and there's always too much poo poo in the way. I'm trying Fleksy now and especially gently caress this stupid thing. Anybody know of any customizable or atypical keyboards to try? Already been down the list of the FIVE BEST every list website has.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

a shameful boehner posted:

I have about $8.50 in Google Survey funbux burning a hole in my pocket and I'm looking to spend some on an app or apps that aren't games for my S4. Some context: I don't listen to a lot of music, podcasts, or watch movies or play games on my phone, just looking to make it more useful in general. Mainly just browse the web, send emails, take pictures, use Maps for navigation.

Given that the OP is almost 3 years old at this point, can someone point me to a post with some of the most handy/practical/useful non-gaming apps I might be interested in? Already have stuff like Notepad, ES File Explorer, MX Player, Mileage, and Snapchat but otherwise basically nothing else.

\/\/ - Not really. The app I use the most is probably Maps. I know my question is very inspecific, but that's why I'm asking for suggestions. What other non-game apps do you all find yourselves using regularly?

My favorite paid apps, in no particular order are Linkbubble, Unified Remote, Pocket Casts, and Action Launcher.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

dik-dik posted:

My favorite paid apps, in no particular order are Linkbubble, Unified Remote, Pocket Casts, and Action Launcher.

Linkbubble is awesome. It took me a bit to get used to it but when I did I really started to love it. Unified remote and PocketCasts are also both great. Other apps I recommend are Nova Launcher, Timely, Pushbullet, LastPass, Pocket, Swiftkey, OneNote, Allcast, and BubbleUPnP.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Juche Box Hero posted:

I hate android keyboards. I like to space with my right thumb and there's always too much poo poo in the way. I'm trying Fleksy now and especially gently caress this stupid thing. Anybody know of any customizable or atypical keyboards to try? Already been down the list of the FIVE BEST every list website has.
Maybe give Minuum a try?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Karthe posted:

Maybe give Minuum a try?
Thanks. Trying now.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Karthe posted:

Maybe give Minuum a try?

Yeah, I started using it last week and it's fun and unique. Not sure yet if it is better than traditional keyboards, but it's definitely unique and works surprisingly well, even with switching between languages on the fly. Usually that's something that kills alternative keyboards except Swiftkey for me, since they suck at it.

But I'm a total sucker for such gimmicky things. Even glued a paper pattern to my Palm Pilot to use a Swype-like input replacement back in the day.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Sep 17, 2014

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
Gotta say I'm disappointed that in the new hangouts I can't send texts to multiple people at once, I could at least do that in Voice. I was really hoping for group messaging.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Juche Box Hero posted:

The reason I can't learn to use anything but Swype is the years I've never had to hit the space bar. My brain will simply not accept that it's a thing that it has to do.

Yossarko
Jan 22, 2004

I've got a hangouts / SMS problem on stock 4.4.4.

I added my work Google account, and left contacts checked. Now, there's a bunch of contacts that show up twice - the same contact with the same number - for all my pro contacts that I also correspond with personally.

The funny thing is, these duplicated contacts only show up in "Hangouts", and not in "Contacts". There's no problem in Contacts, so I can't "merge" them.

I unchecked "Contacts" from my pro account (because I only want to send SMS to friends / personal contacts) but that didn't remove them. And I can't do anything (remove, merge, etc) to contacts from inside Hangouts... at least I can't see how.

Anyone experienced this?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Evil Vin posted:

Gotta say I'm disappointed that in the new hangouts I can't send texts to multiple people at once, I could at least do that in Voice. I was really hoping for group messaging.

Yes you can, go to a conversation, tap the dots, group message is right there.

Now I am having a totally different issue with hangouts. When I send a hangouts message from my phone, they don't get it, but it works from my gmail. But if they video call or send me a message, it works every time. Also, Google should seriously have a way to check if a number is using hangouts, similar to imessage, it's really annoying for someone to not get a message because they use a different Google account for their phone.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Few minor issues that may or may not be a problem for some people:
- Requires a computer the first time
- App developers can exclude their apps from ADB based backups. Not common but its a thing.
- Moto went out of their way to break ADB backups last year. Not sure if its still a thing with the X or whatever though.

Still, pretty good solution IMO.

Works on the Driod Maxx now, not sure about other Motos, though.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Casyl posted:

Linkbubble is awesome.

Has anybody with linkbubble also used javelin browser? Curious if linkbubble is that much better than a free alternative.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

CancerStick posted:

Has anybody with linkbubble also used javelin browser? Curious if linkbubble is that much better than a free alternative.

There is also Flynx.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is there an exposed module (or a safe app, or a setting I'm missing in GravityBox) that will let me add a Mute tile to the Quick Settings pane? I could have sworn GravityBox [KK] let me do this, but I don't see it as an option...

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

You can modify the ringer mode Tile to switch between Silent and Sound (or Sound + Vibrate if that's more your flavor).

E: Alternately you could probably rig something up yourself using a custom app tile and a Tasker profile.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 17, 2014

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

dik-dik posted:

You can modify the ringer mode Tile to switch between Silent and Sound (or Sound + Vibrate if that's more your flavor).

E: Alternately you could probably rig something up yourself using a custom app tile and a Tasker profile.

Oh, sorry. Should have mentioned this is a Nexus 7 (2013). No ringer.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm looking for an app that will turn my phone into a bluetooth joypad on a mac. Anyone have suggestions?

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Yes you can, go to a conversation, tap the dots, group message is right there.

Now I am having a totally different issue with hangouts. When I send a hangouts message from my phone, they don't get it, but it works from my gmail. But if they video call or send me a message, it works every time. Also, Google should seriously have a way to check if a number is using hangouts, similar to imessage, it's really annoying for someone to not get a message because they use a different Google account for their phone.

In a hangout message I can, but for a text I can't. At least for a Google Voice number.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm looking for an app that will turn my phone into a bluetooth joypad on a mac. Anyone have suggestions?

Haven't used it for exactly this but I've used it for so many different things that I imagine Unified Remote can probably do this. Even if it can't, it's a loving awesome app that you should definitely use.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Anybody use Pushbullet? I used to get notifications on my phone of things I pushed from the desktop but recently I don't. Pushes appear in the list but don't appear as notifications. I've tried deleting my device from the list and reinstalling pushbullet but no good.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Anybody use Pushbullet? I used to get notifications on my phone of things I pushed from the desktop but recently I don't. Pushes appear in the list but don't appear as notifications. I've tried deleting my device from the list and reinstalling pushbullet but no good.
Uninstall and reinstall the Chrome extension. I've had that happen.

Also tell me you're buying the next Nexus, it has your name all over it!

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Is the next one definitely going to be the Nexus 6?

e: reinstalling the extension didn't help - got the push but no notification

nexus6 fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 18, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Is the next one definitely going to be the Nexus 6?

At least in spirit it will be.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is helium only for backing up app data? I was hoping to specify select folders, but I haven't found that option yet.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

midnightclimax posted:

Is helium only for backing up app data? I was hoping to specify select folders, but I haven't found that option yet.
Correct. If you want to back up general files you can just connect your phone to a computer and copy them over.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Evil Vin posted:

In a hangout message I can, but for a text I can't. At least for a Google Voice number.

Must be your GV number, I can do it just fine using my carrier number.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...in-google-play/

Looks like Google will require that all app devs with paid apps or apps with IAPs will need to provide their address on file in Google Play.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...in-google-play/

Looks like Google will require that all app devs with paid apps or apps with IAPs will need to provide their address on file in Google Play.

It's almost as if they want businesses to act like real businesses.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's almost as if they want businesses to act like real businesses.

Pretty much but developers are freaking out because it looks like it'll be visible to everyone via Google Play.

The comments on the article are hilarious with people saying they'll jump to iOS or Windows Phone if Google forces them (which they will on Sep 30th...you must have an address or your app will be removed).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty much but developers are freaking out because it looks like it'll be visible to everyone via Google Play.

They they should get a P.O. Box like any other LLC out there. If they aren't making enough from the app to cover those meager overheads, then they might as well make it free or pull it from the market.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

TLDR Question about Google Play Music: Is there a way to return to the Listen Now screen, or even just open the menu, without having to hit the back button an obnoxious amount of times?

Sometimes I'll search for an artist, then start radio based off them. At some point there's a song that triggers me to use the "Go to Artist" link so that I can find a particular song by them to play next. This repeats a few times throughout the day until later on when I want to reset and listen to something else entirely. It can often take 6-10 clicks to backtrack to a point where it even lets me open up the menu for accessing Listen Now, Library, or Radio. How do I get around this?

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 18, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Swipe in from the very left edge of the screen. If you're on a track you'll have to pull down the white bar first.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

butt dickus posted:

Swipe in from the very left edge of the screen. If you're on a track you'll have to pull down the white bar first.

Brilliant, thanks!

edit for another issue: Lock screen display (Nexus 5) often lags a song behind, i.e. the album art is correct but the song listed is the one that was playing previously. Turning the screen off/on updates it. Is there anything I can do about this or is it a common bug that I just need to wait for a fix to be released for?

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 18, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Teeter posted:

edit for another issue: Lock screen display (Nexus 5) often lags a song behind, i.e. the album art is correct but the song listed is the one that was playing previously. Turning the screen off/on updates it. Is this a common bug and is there anything I can do to fix it?

I can't offer any help, but I've experienced this on my Nexus 4 as well.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Teeter posted:

Brilliant, thanks!

edit for another issue: Lock screen display (Nexus 5) often lags a song behind, i.e. the album art is correct but the song listed is the one that was playing previously. Turning the screen off/on updates it. Is there anything I can do about this or is it a common bug that I just need to wait for a fix to be released for?

Currently happening to me as well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Lock screen lagging behind is a pretty common bug that affects all devices. Happens on both my Razr M and nexus 7 as well.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Could anyone give me an idiot's guide to why I might want to use Hangouts for SMS? I heard there was a problem with it not being able to do MMS or something? Basically my SMS app right now is Chomp and I'm curious if there's any reason to change over, especially since there doesn't seem to be a quick reply popup.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Syrinxx posted:

Could anyone give me an idiot's guide to why I might want to use Hangouts for SMS? I heard there was a problem with it not being able to do MMS or something? Basically my SMS app right now is Chomp and I'm curious if there's any reason to change over, especially since there doesn't seem to be a quick reply popup.

There's really no reason to swtich over, unless you happen to use Gchat/Voice. I tried hangouts for a bit, but didn't really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I like it because most of the people I regularly chat with also use Gchat, so it's one less app to use, because it switches pretty seamlessly between the two. I also like the silly emoji it has. I also just happen to like the interface. :shrug:

I haven't had any particular trouble doing MMS with it.

But yeah like chocolateTHUNDER said if you don't use gchat/voice, there's probably no reason to use it.

• Locked thread