Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

TwoPair posted:

So is this whole issue supposed to be stuff that will definitely for sure happen? Because honestly I couldn't help shake the vibe that a lot of people complain about with Uncanny Avengers, that being "None of this matters, Smasher and Cannonball aren't actually gonna have a baby and move to space, the Avengers won't actually get boring white costumes, etc."

Oh well, I guess it shouldn't bother me, I'm one of the people who actually likes Uncanny Avengers.

Pretty sure I read that the other books are all going to "catch up" to A/NA eventually. Which of course isn't hard at all: the remainder of A/NA could be two weeks in MU time and other series skip months all the time without explicitly stating it, just to align with what other books are doing.

Plus, we already know how the new Iron Man series starts out, and it's with Tony not being on anyone's good side because of what happened in Avengers (or Axis, I guess. But I suppose all of Axis takes place during this 8 month gap).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Archyduke posted:

Going off not much more than the Alan Moore Captain Britain and the Claremont/Davis and then Davis Excalibur runs, I wouldn't necessarily choose Captain Britain as a guy involved in making important, secret decisions. Maybe his characterization has evolved over the past 25 years, but I wouldn't even choose him as a guy involved in making breakfast. That initial stretch of Excalibur seemed particularly bent on making him look stupid and rash at any opportunity.

He's chilled out pretty hard and he's stopped drinking since then. Check out Paul Cornell's Captain Britain and MI:13 comic sometime.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

With all of the major changes happening in the Marvel Universe - Thor Woman and Armless Odinson, Black Captain America and geriatric Steve, Super-Evil Iron Man, dead Wolverine, dead brainless Xavier, Brainiac Hulk, etc. etc. - anyone who thinks Marvel isn't moving towards a line-wide reboot in a year or so is delusional.

At this point all of the characters listed above are just as immutable as Bruce Wayne Batman and Clark Kent Superman, whether they like it or not.

I get the feeling Marvel is shaking up all of its properties just to say it did and that it was the "progressive" company first before it all gets wiped away.

Change is good, but this much drastic change this quickly to this many major money-maker characters? It's not the way to make the change actually last.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Goon posted:

With all of the major changes happening in the Marvel Universe - Thor Woman and Armless Odinson, Black Captain America and geriatric Steve, Super-Evil Iron Man, dead Wolverine, dead brainless Xavier, Brainiac Hulk, etc. etc. - anyone who thinks Marvel isn't moving towards a line-wide reboot in a year or so is delusional.

At this point all of the characters listed above are just as immutable as Bruce Wayne Batman and Clark Kent Superman, whether they like it or not.

I get the feeling Marvel is shaking up all of its properties just to say it did and that it was the "progressive" company first before it all gets wiped away.

Change is good, but this much drastic change this quickly to this many major money-maker characters? It's not the way to make the change actually last.

Please, don't be so cynical. Be the normal amount of cynical, where you know everything will revert in time for a movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Goon posted:

While I'm certain most of these changes will get reverted in the next couple of years, I very seriously doubt Marvel is planning a New 52 style complete revamp, or even a Heroes Reborn redux where it get's reset at the same time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Marvel is way too proud of the fact that they've never done a wide line reboot to ever do one. All of this will eventually revert but the ride will be fun until it does. I could definitely see Xavier staying dead for the long haul though. Maybe not forever but like the original Jean Grey has been for a while. Someone will eventually bring them back, but I think it's going to be a while for Xavier.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

The Goon posted:

Number of times Marvel has done a line-wide reboot: 0
Number of times fans have said "Marvel is going to do a line-wide reboot, they have to" in the past thirty years: approx. Infinity

You sure you wanna toss around 'delusional' like that, Overreaction Lad?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Thurm posted:

I wonder if he's the guy Reed and Tony talked to just before Infinity.

Aphrodite posted:

Didn't that dialogue imply a villain?

Hauptmann Englande?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thurm posted:

I wonder if he's the guy Reed and Tony talked to just before Infinity.

Can someone post the panels? I don't remember this specific scene.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Number of times Marvel has done a line-wide reboot: 0
Number of times fans have said "Marvel is going to do a line-wide reboot, they have to" in the past thirty years: approx. Infinity

You sure you wanna toss around 'delusional' like that, Overreaction Lad?

Yeah I'm sure, Hyperbole Boy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Deadpool posted:

Marvel is way too proud of the fact that they've never done a wide line reboot to ever do one. All of this will eventually revert but the ride will be fun until it does. I could definitely see Xavier staying dead for the long haul though. Maybe not forever but like the original Jean Grey has been for a while. Someone will eventually bring them back, but I think it's going to be a while for Xavier.

The incoming crisis on infinite earths that is the incursions is Hickman doing DC schtick with the Marvel flare. Worlds will die, poo poo will go to hell but in the end there is no reboot, no sudden burst of good conquering evil. You have to get the world back piece by piece, for about a year until the big summer event hits.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Can someone post the panels? I don't remember this specific scene.

New Avengers #8

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

The Goon posted:

Yeah I'm sure, Hyperbole Boy.

I guess we'll see who's right in future issues of the Legion of Comic Geeks.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Goon posted:

All of these characters have gone through changes in the past that are at least as significant, and have done so without anyone pushing a reset switch. I'd imagine if you sat down and tracked the characters' progress since the '80s or so, there would not be too many windows of time in which all of them were operating strictly according to their "iconic" status quo: Rhodey in the armor, Tony "dead" due to that neural virus he had for a while in the '90s, Eric Masterson as Thor, John Walker as Cap, Thor crammed awkwardly into a set of magical armor because Hela cursed him, Cap-Wolf, Iron Cap, the post-Fall of the Mutants "Australia period" for the X-Men, Thor dying in Ragnarok during Avengers Disassembled, Xavier stuck in space banging Lilandra for ten years, etc.

As I understand it, the DC "New 52" reboot was the result of an ultimatum from Time-Warner to clean up the comics' act and turn around the sales decline, lest the entire company get dismantled. There's no such impetus at Marvel that I'm aware of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wanderer posted:

As I understand it, the DC "New 52" reboot was the result of an ultimatum from Time-Warner to clean up the comics' act and turn around the sales decline, lest the entire company get dismantled. There's no such impetus at Marvel that I'm aware of.
That's another reason that, I think, Marvel has a bit more freedom with their wares, since Disney is bascially looking at the funnybooks as a nice IP farm for their megablockbuster flicks.

Meanwhile TW uses DC characters for TV and a cartoon, but is pretty hateful of the actual comics part.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

That's another reason that, I think, Marvel has a bit more freedom with their wares, since Disney is bascially looking at the funnybooks as a nice IP farm for their megablockbuster flicks.

Meanwhile TW uses DC characters for TV and a cartoon, but is pretty hateful of the actual comics part.

It's worth noting Time-Warner has owned DC for a lot longer than Disney has owned Marvel, and Disney bought Marvel because they were already making successful movies, so I doubt Disney going going to pay much attention to the comics side unless the movies stop selling. The only other thing they seem to care about is mediocre children's cartoons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

New Avengers #8

"Hey Galactus, how do you feel about a never ending Earth-buffet?"

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It's worth noting Time-Warner has owned DC for a lot longer than Disney has owned Marvel, and Disney bought Marvel because they were already making successful movies, so I doubt Disney going going to pay much attention to the comics side unless the movies stop selling. The only other thing they seem to care about is mediocre children's cartoons.

Gravity Falls is anything but mediocre! :argh:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
As much as I rag on Hickman for things, I think it's pretty impressive that he's managed to construct a Civil War-type hero vs hero situation in the Marvel universe that actually feels nuanced and epic and doesn't make me claw at my eyes for the atrocious forced narrative of our usual Marvel universe hero vs hero situations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Say what you will about Spencer, and many of those complaints are valid, but the ending page of Avenger's World was loving awesome!

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Deadpool posted:

Xavier is a weird kind of character. He is super important to the universe and has a nice hook (telephatic MLK), but it doesn't seem like writers actually care that much about him and have a "Professor X story" they need to write.

Wanderer posted:

All of these characters have gone through changes in the past that are at least as significant, and have done so without anyone pushing a reset switch. I'd imagine if you sat down and tracked the characters' progress since the '80s or so, there would not be too many windows of time in which all of them were operating strictly according to their "iconic" status quo: Rhodey in the armor, Tony "dead" due to that neural virus he had for a while in the '90s, Eric Masterson as Thor, John Walker as Cap, Thor crammed awkwardly into a set of magical armor because Hela cursed him, Cap-Wolf, Iron Cap, the post-Fall of the Mutants "Australia period" for the X-Men, Thor dying in Ragnarok during Avengers Disassembled, Xavier stuck in space banging Lilandra for ten years, etc.

Are you saying Captain Steve Roger himself was a Werewolf?

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.

General Bort posted:

Are you saying Captain Steve Roger himself was a Werewolf?

Say hello to the 90s!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I don't see why folks are surprised at Captain Britain being on the Illuminati when they've been on the team in several other alternate universes already. It wouldn't surprise me if they use the Bridge a little to scout out possible talent that would have gravitated towards them in the first place.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Deadpool posted:

Well, they've already kind of given themselves an out as the latest issue of Magneto talked about Xavier's mind still being active in some way within the Red Skull.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Well, they've already kind of given themselves an out as the latest issue of Magneto talked about Xavier's mind still being active in some way within the Red Skull.

Maybe I'm getting the X movies mixed up with the comics, but hasn't Xavier transferred his mind into comatose or cloned bodies before?

General Bort posted:

Xavier is a weird kind of character. He is super important to the universe and has a nice hook (telephatic MLK), but it doesn't seem like writers actually care that much about him and have a "Professor X story" they need to write.

Mike Carey's run on Legacy, which is basically a Xavier solo series, is loving awesome. He wrote a compelling Xavier without reverting to the "Professor Xavier is a jerk! [with huge secrets hidden away for years until they're revealed in this story]". I also thought Bendis handled him well in the initial Illuminati series.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madrox posted:

Say hello to the 90s!

This is just too sweet.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

notthegoatseguy posted:

Mike Carey's run on Legacy, which is basically a Xavier solo series, is loving awesome. He wrote a compelling Xavier without reverting to the "Professor Xavier is a jerk! [with huge secrets hidden away for years until they're revealed in this story]". I also thought Bendis handled him well in the initial Illuminati series.

Yeah it was a fantastic run which was basically what is Professor Xaiver was also Jason Bourne? (Answer, asses got kicked.)

It was also a part of this internet comic fan theory about how Professor X was a Batman level rear end kicker when he had a working pair of legs, which is a funny comparison when so many people think of him as a stuffy, intellectual pacifist.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Madrox posted:

Say hello to the 90s!

Who the gently caress was drawing this?? :stare: Look at those blacked out legs on Were-Cap! They look like uncontrollable growth of flesh a la Tetsuo. :psyboom:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bell_ posted:

I don't see why folks are surprised at Captain Britain being on the Illuminati when they've been on the team in several other alternate universes already. It wouldn't surprise me if they use the Bridge a little to scout out possible talent that would have gravitated towards them in the first place.

I think most people are surprised because Captain Britain is barely ever used, and never or rarely ever associates with the Avengers.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

Yeah it was a fantastic run which was basically what is Professor Xaiver was also Jason Bourne? (Answer, asses got kicked.)

It was also a part of this internet comic fan theory about how Professor X was a Batman level rear end kicker when he had a working pair of legs, which is a funny comparison when so many people think of him as a stuffy, intellectual pacifist.

It also helped that Gambit was tagging along for a good chunk of time as well. Probably the first book in a long time, maybe ever, that used Gambit really well.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Codependent Poster posted:

I think most people are surprised because Captain Britain is barely ever used, and never or rarely ever associates with the Avengers.

I think that Hickman is a fan of the character/concept. He made Jamie Braddock the new Captain Britain as part of his Ultimates run.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

His was part of Secret Avengers for a while.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

TwoPair posted:

So is this whole issue supposed to be stuff that will definitely for sure happen? Because honestly I couldn't help shake the vibe that a lot of people complain about with Uncanny Avengers, that being "None of this matters, Smasher and Cannonball aren't actually gonna have a baby and move to space, the Avengers won't actually get boring white costumes, etc."
Uhh even if this was a bait and switch (and really there is nothing to suggest it is) the logline was "8 months later" I don't know how much you know about the birds and the bees but Smasher was already preggers before the time jump.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

You guys realize the big to do of fixing this could be six months of the recap page not mentioning Reed and co facilitated Namor killing a world.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

DynamicSloth posted:

Uhh even if this was a bait and switch (and really there is nothing to suggest it is) the logline was "8 months later" I don't know how much you know about the birds and the bees but Smasher was already preggers before the time jump.

Yeah but even still the time line is pretty drat wonky.

Like let's assume that Smasher is preggers now, that means she's been pregnant all during her appearances in Avengers World and stuff. Now while pregnant women can and do maintain active lives, you really don't want to be going into fights with super villains while carrying a baby.

But moving past that, when Smasher shows up with her new baby in the new issue she is bottle feeding him, he's pretty big and he has a pretty decent head of hair. The conventional wisdom is that you breast feed babies for at least the first 6 months.

Now the bottle could have been full of breast milk, the point I'm making is that the baby looked big. Like the kid looked older then the newborn status and liked like 6-8 months old. (I'm only harping on this point as I've been seeing a lot of babies with my friends recently.)

Overall message is I just find it hard to reconcile an 8 month time skip with Smasher showing up with a baby that old.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Question IRL posted:

Like let's assume that Smasher is preggers now, that means she's been pregnant all during her appearances in Avengers World and stuff. Now while pregnant women can and do maintain active lives, you really don't want to be going into fights with super villains while carrying a baby.

But moving past that, when Smasher shows up with her new baby in the new issue she is bottle feeding him, he's pretty big and he has a pretty decent head of hair. The conventional wisdom is that you breast feed babies for at least the first 6 months.

Now the bottle could have been full of breast milk, the point I'm making is that the baby looked big. Like the kid looked older then the newborn status and liked like 6-8 months old. (I'm only harping on this point as I've been seeing a lot of babies with my friends recently.)

Overall message is I just find it hard to reconcile an 8 month time skip with Smasher showing up with a baby that old.

Shi'ar aging technology which we already know they have

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

The Question IRL posted:

I've checked back on some newborn pictures of my son and he's about the same size as sam's. Most babies have quite a full head of hair, it falls out then grows back again. Bottle feeding can be done from birth, not everyone can breast feed

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

The baby looking too old can just be the art and this first month of pregnancy can slip by unnoticed even baring some kind of Shiar baby extraction and gestation device.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Easiest answer to all this is that they adopted the kid. Sole survivor of a doomed incursion maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

head58 posted:

Easiest answer to all this is that they adopted the kid. Sole survivor of a doomed incursion maybe?

That is an easier answer than she just had a baby?

• Locked thread