Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Tech Report as well, if you want more frame pacing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
So motherfucking sold on a 970 for my 1200p needs

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even play games and you guys make me want to get one through your enthusiasm alone.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I'm pretty excited to ditch my 560 Ti for a 970. I thought there was no way it was going to launch at a MSRP of $329.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Winks posted:

I'm pretty excited to ditch my 560 Ti for a 970. I thought there was no way it was going to launch at a MSRP of $329.
Same exact jump for me. I was considering buying a 770 two days ago until I saw that this was about to come out.

Now how do I get one?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
So the GTX 970 can overclock quite a good bit then? That might be the new performance-to-cost leader on the Nvidia side.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
A reference 970 is generally sitting in between a 780 and 780 Ti, or close to the original Titan.
A reference 980 is generally about 10% above a Titan Black.

The overclocks are ridiculous for these cards, with reviewers getting 200-250mhz or higher clock rates, and the cards scale very well overclocked.

Overclocked, 970s are hitting reference 980 performance.
Overclocked, 980s aren't too far off from Titan Z performance.

I am shocked at the price still since I haven't really considered nVidia price/performance competitive in about 5 years.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero VGS posted:

So the GTX 970 can overclock quite a good bit then? That might be the new performance-to-cost leader on the Nvidia side.

Totally speculating with no basis whatsoever, but they might be great overclockers once people start reverse engineering the bios and unlocking higher power targets for higher sustained boost clocks. My 680 went from maxing out below 1200Mhz to hitting 1300Mhz just by editing power limits in the bios. This new generation seems to be even more interested in TDP (Which is a good thing for 99% of buyers) so there might be a lot to unlock there.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Guru3d hit 1547 boost clock on their gigabyte card. Madness

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'm really considering parting with my 290 and going with a 980. :raise:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apologies since I don't have time to look at many of the reviews tonight, but are we seeing many custom designs at launch or mostly reference coolers?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Uh. This is all so tempting to jump up to from a 7870, but I just spent money on a 1TB SSD. The Witcher 3 will no doubt force me to upgrade.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Heavily overclocked 780Ti looks like it'll hold me until GM210, should such a beautiful monstrosity make its way down the food chain. This is an amazing architecture - a nearly 50% performance improvement on the same process? How much perf has just been left on the table due to the strict adherence to a specific manufacturing cadence in the past...?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
yeah I'm buying at least a 970 the instant they're in stock anywhere. if the spirit moves me, then I'll just buy a 980 :unsmith:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apologies since I don't have time to look at many of the reviews tonight, but are we seeing many custom designs at launch or mostly reference coolers?

980 is a reference launch. Custom cards will come in as they come. 970 is a "virtual launch" with no reference design, so only customized cards. Some custom cards are available immediately.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

980 is a reference launch.
Neato, thanks. As I recall, Twin Frozr has been the best non-reference design of late, right? Just trying to figure out what I want to hunt for next year when GTA hits. :getin:

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Along with the 970/980 NDAs lifting, the new R343 branch GeForce driver (344.11) is up and ready for download, for those of you interested (Windows 8.1 download link).

Here's the Guru3D link for all versions: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-344-11-whql-driver-download.html

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 19, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Any idea if NV plans to release MFAA and downsampling on older cards? Those two things are awesome but I really don't want to ditch the insanely good GTX780 sample I have right now.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So can someone explain the shift in tone? When the pics leaked of the new 900 cards earlier it seemed like most people weren't too excited for the 900 then the whole tone shifted, what caused that?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

So can someone explain the shift in tone? When the pics leaked of the new 900 cards earlier it seemed like most people weren't too excited for the 900 then the whole tone shifted, what caused that?

290 costs more than a 970

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Very good price for the GTX970, insanely low power draw (like a lot better), overclocks like a beast, very good stock performance, good amount of RAM, lots of beneficial software features like MFAA, downsampling, and VR support.

These things together make AMD's lineup basically obsolete. Native downsampling support and lower cost anti-aliasing methods means enough to me that I'm contemplating ditching the GTX780 while Australian prices are still insane.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 19, 2014

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010
I'm thinking of upgrading my 7950 boost to 980, will I have to upgrade my 550 watts power supply to do that?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The thread title remains hilariously and somewhat unfortunately relevant for yet another product cycle, though if AMD can follow up on GCN 1.2 with cards that can approach the performance of the 970 and force a belt-tightening (again) for their lineup below parity, they could still do fine this generation. Let's not forget that even still most desktop consumers are gonna be absolutely fine on 7850-level hardware or a now-very-cheap 760 or whatever; the big improvements here are efficiency, which is just shockingly good, and that smooth fuckin' performance bump at a much more sensible price.

For everyone. nVidia is still gonna make bank on these things, TSMC's 28nm is about as solved a problem as it gets and SMMs look like they're going to be even easier to glue together as desired than SMXes were, so I'd imagine there will be a robust product stack descending from these once Kepler inventory starts to dry up.

Shrinkage posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my 7950 boost to 980, will I have to upgrade my 550 watts power supply to do that?

Nope, this draws about as much power as a low-to-medium range card from the previous generation. It's nearly a 100W savings over a 780/Titan/780Ti for similar performance for whatever you'll be doing.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Knifegrab posted:

The price actually being $329 for the 970. This forces AMD to push all their prices down lower, since they have a ridiculous amount of SKUs. It is basically a return of reasonably-priced cards.

Also I think a lot of people have been pissed at how expensive nVidia had been in the 700 series, considering most of those cards are rebadges of the 600 series, and if they weren't a rebadge then they were obscenely expensive (exclusing the 750/750Ti but those are lower-end cards). Last week, $400 with nvidia would only get you a card that originally came out 2.5 years ago. Now $329 gets you a card that beats AMD's top-end single-card, uses much less power, runs cooler and overclocks like crazy.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Agreed posted:

Nope, this draws about as much power as a low-to-medium range card from the previous generation. It's nearly a 100W savings over a 780/Titan/780Ti for similar performance for whatever you'll be doing.

Thanks.

I'm googling around and it looks like this thing actually uses less power than the 7950b for twice the performance.

That's pretty amazing.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Meta Ridley posted:

The price actually being $329 for the 970. This forces AMD to push all their prices down lower, since they have a ridiculous amount of SKUs. It is basically a return of reasonably-priced cards.

Also I think a lot of people have been pissed at how expensive nVidia had been in the 700 series, considering most of those cards are rebadges of the 600 series, and if they weren't a rebadge then they were obscenely expensive (exclusing the 750/750Ti but those are lower-end cards). Last week, $400 with nvidia would only get you a card that originally came out 2.5 years ago. Now $329 gets you a card that beats AMD's top-end single-card, uses much less power, runs cooler and overclocks like crazy.

So loving glad I didnt cave in to get 770 upgrade for my 670. Incidentally, I know someone who just put down for a 780 about two weeks ago, he is gonna be pissed.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I am so tempted by the 970, but I can't afford a fun purchase like that right now. Compared to my 680, it'd be a (uselessly) great performance boost, and the low TDP would make things so easy in a silence-performance ITX build like I run.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
It will be nice to wave goodbye to this HD6950 and step into something a bit more modern.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
do we know when these are going on sale? haven't seen any at the usual haunts and didn't see any mention in reviews.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Professor Science posted:

do we know when these are going on sale? haven't seen any at the usual haunts and didn't see any mention in reviews.

It's supposed to be an Actual Factual Launch. Maybe try again in the morning?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm guessing the borderlands presequel bundle will only apply to the 700 series but I'll piss my pants if the 970 is included.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Meta Ridley posted:

That's really awesome. It seems like people are gravitating towards the 970 because of its price point but is the 980 a "bad investment"? I am planning on an serious upgrade when the maxwell arch comes out and I would be looking at the 980 once non-reference cards come out. Would that be incredibly foolish?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
So looking ahead a bit, what are the next steps for Nvidia? I know they were having trouble with 22nm, is that still the case? Are they even bothering with 22nm or are they skipping straight to 16nm FinFET next year?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

No poo poo, if Borderlands the Pre Sequel is included in the 900-series bundle I'm getting a 980. A 970 is clearly a smarter buy, but I guess there is a tradition to keep here... And then I'll have a golden-chip 780Ti to sell, oh god it's happening again

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

welp, went to local retailer, ordered a EVGA 970. Goodbye money. Card arrives next week.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Knifegrab posted:

That's really awesome. It seems like people are gravitating towards the 970 because of its price point but is the 980 a "bad investment"? I am planning on an serious upgrade when the maxwell arch comes out and I would be looking at the 980 once non-reference cards come out. Would that be incredibly foolish?

I don't think it's unreasonable to get a 980 if you're gaming at 1440p or above - my 780ti averages about 35fps on crysis 3 with everything at max and some fancy AA. A 970 would suit 98% of people perfectly for 1440p though, and I'm not quite sure if a single 980 is good enough for 4k; but it comes pretty drat close.

Agreed posted:

No poo poo, if Borderlands the Pre Sequel is included in the 900-series bundle I'm getting a 980. A 970 is clearly a smarter buy, but I guess there is a tradition to keep here... And then I'll have a golden-chip 780Ti to sell, oh god it's happening again

List of people who are surprised at this:

Smegma Princess X
Jul 27, 2012
I am looking forward to dumping my bargain bin, thrift store bought 9800 GT in favor of dropping off a 0 to gain an X.

Edit: My setup is the most lopsided thing. i5-4670k, 16 whole gigabytes of memory, and a 1 gb 9800 GT from a thrift store.

Smegma Princess X fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 19, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I actually got out of bed to run the first synthetic I saw, which was 3D mark firestrike to compare the graphics figures for the 980 and my 780ti purely for my own e peen comparison. I was pleased to see I scored higher in this case (OC'd 780ti) Graphics Score 13230 vs 12704 (980, didnt specify which one for this). So I was like, well good at least it's still barely on top which was the original expectation from the first leaks.

Then I clicked on the overclocking section in the same review and *poof* , +200 mhz on top of that reference clock? :o, without reading more I think I can say the 980 will completely surpasses the 780ti no if's or but's at that point. And of course OC'd it would just cream the reference 780ti in the charts, stomps it. Shame it's not $500, but I can't say that's bad for $550. Then take a look at the 970 OC and wow again. :drat: There's some true value there evidently.

Funny the initially-mediocre leaks were pretty much on point for the most part and we got just perhaps a tiny bit more than we expected (the OC is a nice surprise), but what it all will come down to is the price point to fuel the fire.

Maybe with the low power requirements people will finally swing for 970 SLI more often so I can see some god drat solid data about it that this generation :P

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Guru3D's overclocking results don't seem to be consistent with other sites, but their test bench is kinda lovely too. Sandy Bridge E was cool for confusing purposes when it came out but my system is clocked just like theirs, 2600K from before 2700Ks were a thing (remember those?) at 4.5GHz now, and I turn in higher scores with my 780Ti than their standard 980 overclocked pretty much across the board. Feel kinda weird saying a SB-E system must be bound somewhere else but I don't know what else to think - as mentioned, elsewhere similarly overclocked cards turn in scores that offer a solid 20% or so improvement, on average, on what I get out of a very good 780Ti.

I still think we should wait for some more samples to see what the deal is with overclocking these, but experience with the 750Ti is preliminarily encouraging. Man, they rocked this launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
970s and 980s are showing up on Amazon--just ordered a 970. 2-5 week shipping or out of stock on all, though.