Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Sanctum posted:

Well the Fume Knight was an awesome boss, kind of like artorias but with two arms and more health. At least it seemed like he took much longer to kill, unlike artorias I never found openings where I could safely get a 2-hitter in.

What wasn't awesome was that sweeping fire attack. Every other attack of his I can blame myself for getting hit on, but not that. I beat him by learning to dodge all his other attacks consistently enough to save my estus for after every flaming sweep attack he did. I'm guessing SL1 fights of this boss, like artorias, come down to staying way way back, always rolling away, and waiting him to do 1 specific attack before getting a hit in?

nah you can hit him after most attacks barring like one in his first phase

here's a guy doing a sl1 run with his feet if you wanna see it
http://www.twitch.tv/srwfe/c/5034999

you can definitely roll artorias's jumping attack but you need to unlock the camera to do it. if you keep the camera locked on you have a very high chance of rolling straight into the attack, which is active for a real long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

I think you're confusing iframe ignoring and an attack that just has a long lasting hitbox.

On that note actually, Mytha of all bosses seems to have an attack like this. Her spin2win has more active frames than you have iframes and it starts up pretty quickly too.

Is there any way to not eat that attack other than hiding behind a shield like some sort of big girly man?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Roll backwards, away from the spin, and get out of its range/more time to move.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mr Dog posted:

On that note actually, Mytha of all bosses seems to have an attack like this. Her spin2win has more active frames than you have iframes and it starts up pretty quickly too.

Is there any way to not eat that attack other than hiding behind a shield like some sort of big girly man?

Roll backwards?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This man is such a hardcore badass he doesn't even know what those string of words mean.0 death run just tanking everything.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Fereydun posted:

here's a guy doing a sl1 run with his feet if you wanna see it

This is it, right? No one has to do challenges to show how gud they are anymore because this guy is already the best.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sanctum posted:

Yeah his fast lunge like a megaman dash, it was only misleading in that the attack ignored iframes and the 'weapon' extended to artorias' entire model and all the empty space beneath his extended sword as well. Once you realized that it ignored iframes and the swords reach extended fully down to the ground, it was simple enough to dodge.

None of his attacks ignored i-frames.

CJacobs posted:

You can't roll through Artorias' jump stab at all as far as I can tell. If it hits you, even if you are rolling, you'll get pinned.

His giant lunge has an AoE, you can see it when he hits the ground. It's kinda like the hammer guys in Harvest Valley.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
To be clear, I understand the Fume Knight sweeping fire attack has a huge collision box that persists for long enough to catch you as you come out of the roll (if not before!) I'm not saying it's mechanically the same as artorias' iframe ignoring lunge attack, just that I think it's bullshit. :argh:

The gaping dragon has a crawl attack where his entire body is a hitbox, if you roll into him you will take damage immediately not when you come out of iframes. Sif has a charge attack that works the same way, his legs can damage you even inside a roll and you need to be out of the way during his charge. Artorias' version was only notable to me because his attack was much faster and not telegraphed with a long wind-up like sif and the gaping dragon. A number of AOE attacks ignored iframes as well, like Quelaag's butt-explosion.

Also doesn't the Fume Knight's overhead attacks ignore iframes? I.e. When you are dumb enough to roll into his overhead swing, he will hurt you whether you are midroll or not. Tell me I'm not crazy here.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Sanctum posted:

To be clear, I understand the Fume Knight sweeping fire attack has a huge collision box that persists for long enough to catch you as you come out of the roll (if not before!) I'm not saying it's mechanically the same as artorias' iframe ignoring lunge attack, just that I think it's bullshit. :argh:

The gaping dragon has a crawl attack where his entire body is a hitbox, if you roll into him you will take damage immediately not when you come out of iframes. Sif has a charge attack that works the same way, his legs can damage you even inside a roll and you need to be out of the way during his charge. Artorias' version was only notable to me because his attack was much faster and not telegraphed with a long wind-up like sif and the gaping dragon. A number of AOE attacks ignored iframes as well, like Quelaag's butt-explosion.

Also doesn't the Fume Knight's overhead attacks ignore iframes? I.e. When you are dumb enough to roll into his overhead swing, he will hurt you whether you are midroll or not. Tell me I'm not crazy here.

I could do some crazy poo poo in Dark Souls and for some reason Quelaag's butt would still catch me off guard. Like, I would never attempt a no death run because I know that stupid butt would get me.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

turtlecrunch posted:

This is it, right? No one has to do challenges to show how gud they are anymore because this guy is already the best.
Well there was this guy that did ds1 with a guitar hero controller...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

None of Arty's attack ignore iframes. Some of them just have long enough lasting hitboxes that you simply cannot iframe through them, at least if you roll towards them. There are plenty of attacks like that in all three games.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Sanctum posted:

Nobody's saying you think Fume Knight and Artorias' attacks are the same. We're saying that they are both attacks with large active frames for damage.

Those attacks aren't ignoring iframes. Your roll just has x amount of iframes, while certain attacks, often explosions or long slides/runs, have y amount of active damaging frames. In the cases where you still get after rolling, y is greater than x, so you get hit. For example, if you roll through an explosion, but the explosion is still happening, you're going to get hit by the explosion. It doesn't just go away when you roll through a part of it.

Artorias' slide/charge has plenty of wind up to tell. It's not like a 5 second animation, but it's still something you can see and react to.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

They pretty much give you a ring designed for adaptability earlier on so it's not like From didn't realize something was up with that fight.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
It's not like the ring is necessary for success. There isn't anything up with Fume Knight's fight in regards to ADP/Agility. More Agility helps, sure, but it's still a matter of the player dodging well and punishing recovery accordingly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm a suicidal idiot and cooking has always been my passion so I'm going to beat this whole game with the ladle. My run starts today and it'll probably end sometime in 2016. My guy even looks kinda halfhearted about the whole thing. You can see it in his cold dead eyes. Please give me ideas on how to make the ladle viable.

edit: Can the ladle be buffed? If I can put magic weapon or resins on it then maybe it won't be so soul-crushingly hard.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The ladle can be buffed and shouldn't lose much (if any damage) when broken. It's still going to be soul-crushingly tedious at points, but you can do it! :thumbsup:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

At some point they changed the ladle so that it does 0 damage when it's broken. This run did not get very far.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Fist run time then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess you could use it to humiliate people in PvP with ripostes and backstabs?

Alternatively, don't let it break (at ten durability this is probably impossible).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I used cheat engine to give the ladle infinite durability. Sure, I am a cheater, but I am a cheater with a ladle that does more than 0 damage so I'm not all that bothered by it. Chef CJacobs will not be disparaged so easily.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

If the game had an infinite source of repair powders sooner than drangeleic castle, it'd be doable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Actually no it wouldn't because it'd break way before you could afford even one.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Well, patching the ladle to do 0 damage when broken is.. weird? And quite obviously unneeded. I really wonder how From decides their priorities for patching sometimes. :v:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Pretty sure I could do it on my 838 with mundane dual wielded ladels and a bunch of repair spells attuned but gently caress that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well now that I've found a temporary solution to From's RIDICULOUS nerf of the game's best weapon, I just have to find a good chef outfit and then it's smooth sailing till the throne right ha ha ha :suicide:

edit: From extensive testing (read: what I did to break the ladle 5 minutes ago), you can kill exactly 1 hollow in the forest of fallen giants and it will leave you with 1 durability to spare. So if you killed that same 1 hollow dozens and dozens of times you could afford one single repair powder provided you could buy them from lenigrast or something.

edit: Darn, my infinite durability ladle was just pretending to have infinite durability and still broke. I guess chef cjacobs was just never meant to be.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 19, 2014

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Actually no it wouldn't because it'd break way before you could afford even one.

There's no enemy you could kill with 10 durability, with buffs maybe too? Cause then you'd just kill that one enemy ,rest, repeat. I suppose it'd have to be an enemy you could kill in 9 durability so you wouldn't have to pay the blacksmith to repair it.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 19, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

edit: Darn, my infinite durability ladle was just pretending to have infinite durability and still broke. I guess chef cjacobs was just never meant to be.

The public infinite durability script is bad. Nobody tested it, otherwise they would have noticed it breaks the Ring of Thorns/Old Sun Ring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Important, possibly related question: Do the bare fists scale with anything? I'd imagine they don't since they didn't in Dark Souls 1 but hey you never know v:shobon:v

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

CJacobs posted:

Important, possibly related question: Do the bare fists scale with anything? I'd imagine they don't since they didn't in Dark Souls 1 but hey you never know v:shobon:v

Not by default, but I think the Vanquisher's Seal (CoC Ring) makes them scale with Str/Dex along with a substantial damage boost.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Vanquisher's Seal upgrades fist scaling to A Str/C Dex. Too lazy to get exact numbers.

110 counter damage, 10 poise damage.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sanctum posted:

Are you still talking about at SL1/base agility? There's a few SL1 runs on yt and at least a couple of them are flawless. I fought him last night with 100agi and it makes the fight pretty breezy. Most SL1ers seem to unlock and run to his back for the sweep, but I've also seen them rolling through it. FK's attacks always seem really forgiving to me once you know the timing of each one, with fairly conservative hitboxes (for Dark Souls 2). I really liked that when his sword is over my head it will actually go over my head, for instance.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

CJacobs posted:

You could also cheat yourself a bracing knuckle ring +2 and 99 repair powders, if you still want to go with a ladle run.

BTW, is it possible to get a second ladle using an ascetic in Betwixt?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
No. You have to go to NG+ for character-specific quest type stuff to restart.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've got three characters that I've been bouncing between (caster, tanky-type dude, dex-type dude), but I want to try a fresh game with Covenant of Champions boxer dude. Any tips on playing through with that type of character?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Start as a melee class, head to FoFG, buy a pair of caestus off Melentia, get your strength and dex to 40, never wear a shirt.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Suitaru posted:

Start as a melee class, head to FoFG, buy a pair of caestus off Melentia, get your strength and dex to 40, never wear a shirt.

Also get a mustache.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Also get a mustache.

Hell make yourself as pale as possible and make it like a big red grid.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

They pretty much give you a ring designed for adaptability earlier on so it's not like From didn't realize something was up with that fight.

The hell are you talking about? There's nothing "up" with the FK fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fume Knight is cool and also good. I thought everyone knew that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

xanthan posted:

Hell make yourself as pale as possible and make it like a big red grid.

You seem to have made Pate uncomfortable.