Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Null: Valkyrie Profile 2

I loved VP1 and played it through twice, unskippable half-hour-long cutscenes and all. VP2 I want to enjoy, but can't. A large part of that, I think, is that it seems like a much lazier game than VP1; none of the Einherjar have particularly developed personalities or backstories and a lot of animations, attacks and even voice clips are re-used between them. The non-Einherjar characters are more developed but also randomly gently caress off to do plot things, so you can't really rely on them.

Also, in VP1 your power gradually ramped up until you eventually completely broke the game and were able to bust out four Soul Crush/Great Magic attacks in a single turn, one-shotting most things (including bosses), and your characters were basically immortal -- and this was a fantastic payoff. I love power curves that eventually let you completely dominate the game with a bit of cleverness. In VP2, in contrast, you have to drop four Soul Crushes every turn just to stay ahead of the trash mobs. And there's no way to automatically skip them, either. It gets pretty tedious.

Now Playing: Space Rangers 2 HD: A War Apart

On the one hand, this is probably not worth $20 if you already have SR2, because it's basically SR2 All Over Again. On the other hand, SR2 loving owns.

Not really sure what to play as my laptop game, Advance Wars and Bionic Dues aren't really having much staying power with me. I'm generally pretty tired and don't have a lot of time or energy to play on weekdays, and on weekends, if I have time to play anything, I'm firing up the desktop for more Space Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Haven't been able to game a lot, due to school starting, a failed move into a flat that's more or less ruined, and having to deal with getting into surgery for back issues. But I did manage something!

Update: Mark of the Ninja

This was in my clean up section, meaning I've finished the game, but I'm working towards getting all the achievements. Since I need to finish the game in new game plus, that means replaying the whole game as well. Which is a drat good thing, because I've forgotten what great fun it is. None of the achievements seem too annoying to get either, so this should be a nice one to finish in the next month or so. 26/38 achievements complete at the moment.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Here's my last two months of updates (no new games added, hooray)! Backloggery found here.

Fable III - This one was the earliest game played on this update, and I swear I'm sitting here unable to recall really anything from it. I vaguely recall that there's a pretty big shift between the first and second half, seem to remember thinking the first half was more fun (though very simple) than the second, but overall this must've been pretty memorable. Oh, I do remember that my particular story ended with having no gold to defend the kingdom, having literally all my subjects killed in the war, and then being hailed as a hero anyway. It's good to be the king I guess!

Grand Theft Auto IV - I've never played a GTA game before this, but have played Red Dead Redemption and I can definitely get why people sometimes joke that RDR is GTA: Horse. Ultimately though I think I'd replay RD:R over GTA4 any day - Niko just isn't likeable like Marston is, and the world of GTA4 is less interesting (visually or things to do wise). Also, there's no cell phone so bitches can't be bothering me to go bowling every five minutes. Radio stations were great though!

Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death - It's been said a thousand times by a thousand goons but this is a fun little game that you can pick up pretty cheap during sales. It's a game that is equal parts explosions and absurdity and it has a lot of fun with the premise. Only nitpick would be that while the combat is fun, the encounters are pretty repetitive and this has the effect of making the game feel a little overlong by the end (but with a six hour clock time, who really cares?).

Ys 1 - I thought I was going to hate this but was pleasantly surprised! Everyone had recommended starting with Origins as the more mechanically updated game, but I have OCD for release order and am actually looking forward to Ys II and the rest of the games in the series. Anime as hell but I really enjoyed it.

Dust: An Elysian Tail - More anime and less fun than Ys I. Dust's biggest problem in my opinion is that the combat is too simple and the fights too frequent to be fun; it just feels like a chore after the first few maps. I found myself wanting to skip huge groups of enemies or go entire maps fighting as little as possible because it just didn't feel fun or rewarding in any significant way. A few of the puzzles were fun though!

Alan Wake's American Nightmare - I'm a big fan of Alan Wake and really enjoyed this title. Short and sweet, and I really liked the premise they went with and how they used it over the course of the game's.... acts? Chapters? Whatever they were, it was a fresh take on the ideas presented in the first game that didn't feel like a retread (which is especially impressive when the whole game is based on retreading the same few levels over and over).

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - Of all the games on this list, this one was the one I came closest to quitting on. I played with the highly recommended complete mod. It just... I dunno, never got fun. I did finally beat it and got an :effort: ending that amounted to .

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 6, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fifteen of Many posted:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl - Of all the games on this list, this one was the one I came closest to quitting on. I played with the highly recommended complete mod. It just... I dunno, never got fun. I did finally beat it and got an :effort: ending that amounted to .
That's because you got one of the bad endings. There's also two good endings you can unlock that provide much better closure.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Deadlight - Pretty awesome Another World-style game with zombos. Not sure why this game is hated so much. I think the sewer level is a little too long but otherwise it's a nice, compact little game.

BEATEN: Walking Dead Season 2 - Not quite as solid as season 1 but still pretty fun. I got what they were going for this season (it's been a while into the zombo age and everyone is on edge and distrustful and also losing their minds), but the group's constant reliance on the 11 year old kid to make the decisions for the group really started to strain credibility for me.

BEATEN: Left 4 Dead - I beat one campaign and that was enough. This kind of shooter is not really for me, and the level design was not very sharp either.

BEATEN: Full Bore - One of my games of the year so far. A non-linear block-pushing puzzler full of exploration and discovery on par with Fez, but minus the incomprehensible puzzles. It's all doable and you get that "eureka" satisfaction every time you solve one.

BEATEN: Picross e2 - I wish the 3DS had better Picross offerings, I really do.

BEATEN: Splinter Cell Conviction - A Jack Bauer sim. Not a real Splinter Cell game (stealth primarily functions as a tool for combat to flank and confuse enemies). If you ever wanted to Jack Bauer it up, this is the game.

ONGOING: Arkham Origins, Mass Effect 2, Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton, Borderlands 2, Botanicula, Teslagrad, A Story About My Uncle

UPCOMING: The Swapper, Little Inferno, Shank 2, Red Faction: Armageddon, RAGE, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Left 4 Dead - I beat one campaign and that was enough. This kind of shooter is not really for me, and the level design was not very sharp either.
If you ever get a chance to do so on someone else's thing, try L4D2. Left 4 Dead feels like a mod, but #2 feels like an actual game.

Just don't play it online with strangers, they all know the levels like the back of their hands, and will bitch at you for not trying to speedrun the drat things.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a faster way to mass update on Backloggery? I need to change a bunch of PC games over to listing as Steam. :( The manual way takes forever.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Carmageddon Max Pack: I never played this in the 90s. It's fun but I cheated to get to the end and modified a txt file so that beating a level gave me 5 ranks instead of 1. I almost can't imagine anyone back in the day did that legitimately, playing through 99 races (or that they beat a level by mowing down all civilians rather than wasting your opponents). It would surely turn into a massive grind, though perhaps playing in small doses would get you there safely at the end. Since I usually only play one game at a time, though, and aim to beat it too, I felt I had to speed up the process. Don't feel guilty about cheating since the game basically encourages you to cheat your way to a win anyway. Didn't bother with the expansion pack, though.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Super fun. Haven't played one of these in a few years and it's nice to get back into the genre. It did remind me why I don't play these too often, though, and that's because I don't actually enjoy drowning in loot that much. I end up waffling over whether or not to ditch my current item for the new one, is it worth it, does it fit my build, should I sell it, etc. etc. and in most cases I just end up sticking with what I have until it's obviously not cutting it anymore just to spare myself the trouble. But I do enjoy traversing pretty locations and murdering hordes of monsters. A good game.

Sniper Elite V2: For some reason I expected this to be kind of janky but it's actually really polished. And it has an in-game benchmark tool. :allears: I'm always so grateful for those, though in this case it wasn't so useful since the game's a few years old by now. This was pretty fun playing on Normal. I probably could've ditched the redbox assist, but whatever.

Critical Mass: Played an hour, beat regular/campaign mode on Easy difficulty, moving on. It's decent fun but doesn't particularly compel me to keep playing, and even on Normal I find the pace too quick for me to be much fun.

Dwarfs!?: More fun than I expected. Survived a 60-minute game on Normal difficulty and played some of the others modes as well. 5.5 hours played and I can consider this beaten since it's just improving scores now. Might come back to it at times but I say that about a lot of games and almost never do.

Also tried POSTAL but gave up within five minutes because it controls like absolute garbage. Just not fun at all.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a faster way to mass update on Backloggery? I need to change a bunch of PC games over to listing as Steam. :( The manual way takes forever.

Automation and backloggery are not compatible.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

rypakal posted:

Automation and backloggery are not compatible.

Blarg :( I'll grind it out then.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Irritated Goat posted:

Blarg :( I'll grind it out then.

Read the OP and ctrl-F to "ToxicFrog." Not sure if it still works, but it worked fine for me

e: ah I see, I must have misread the question

dhamster fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 8, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

dhamster posted:

Read the OP and ctrl-F to "ToxicFrog." Not sure if it still works, but it worked fine for me

That's for importing games from steam, it can't do mass edits yet. That's a feature I want to add but I don't have a lot of free time these days.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
BEATEN: DROD: The City Beneath. It's over. So tired. I think I spent 130 hours on these games (DROD 1-3 were a single GOG pack I got ages ago). I started playing in early June, and now they're cleared, except for the secrets and the Master Walls and so on. I think I am content to let it rest, though. Perhaps I will get the other three games in the series at some point, but not while I want to play games I own.

ON DECK: What do you drink after you've just finished drinking the sea? :eng99: The Fortune Cookie says Zeno Clash II. It sounds kind of appealing, at least.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Right, still don't have any time for actual gaming, so I'm putting off on Deus Ex: HR and Darkness II. Instead, I'm adding Full Bore and Gone Home to the to be played list, since those seem like games I can play whenever I have 10 minutes or so.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
BEATEN: The Cat Lady. Now that was something I hadn't experienced before. Think SE7EN + Planescape:Torment, as an artsy indie movie packaged as an early 2000's adventure game. A really good story, told on a low-tech platform, but in really ambitious strokes. Very good music and voice acting, too, for the most part. I really recommend it, if you feel like something different. Roger Ebert might have considered this an art.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I did it. I beat my 50th game since the summer sale. I'm the worst.

BEATEN: Arkham Origins - This game seemed every bit as fun as City, and it was neat to see Gotham pre-hosed, and also I had a much easier time maintaining combat flow in this game than in City, when most people claimed the opposite. I dunno what the difference was.

BEATEN: The Swapper - Cool puzzle game, didn't really get the existential dread that people waxed about, I think the game's just a lil too silly for it.

BEATEN: Five Night's at Freddy's - I beat this game in the sense that I played through the first night, got the rare "flickering Teddy" event, and watched the rest via a Let's Play. The nature of this game is that it's different every time so I will come back to it eventually. Maybe with other people.

BEATEN: RAGE - Pretty fantastic game, IMO. Campaign was just the right length, the level design is really tight, the weapons feel good, the only criticism I'd have is that the quests are not too varied, but otherwise I much preferred this game to either Borderlands.

BEATEN: Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright - It was pretty good. The ending was typical Layton, the only things that this game were really missing were the Turnabout moments in court (rarely does Phoenix flip perspective on events), the kind of crazy witness animations I expect from AA games (barely present at all), and an ending without everyone putting food on Phoenix's tab!! What the heck!! That's a tradition!!

ADDED: Remember Me - Seems cool so far, love the environments, and the premise, plus the combat's alright too.

ADDED: Little Inferno - My 'wind-down' game in the evening, just mindless entertainment really.

ADDED: The Fall - Cool hybrid-genre game, mixing platformer with inventory puzzles and gun combat.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

ADDED: Remember Me - Seems cool so far, love the environments, and the premise, plus the combat's alright too.

The biggest problem with the combat is honestly that it's not quite the same as in the Arkham games. In particular, if you were used to doing direction+A to dodge attacks as Batman, that breaks Nilin's combo. If Nilin wants to dodge without breaking her combo she has to return the stick to neutral first.

This gets told to you, ANAICT, in one of a variety of randomly selected loading screens that are only even present for like 2 seconds before continuing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Space Rangers HD: A War Apart

The good: it's Space Rangers 2 all over again.

The bad: it's Space Rangers 2 all over again.

Seriously, that's all it is. It's SR2 with better support for high resolution displays and some new text adventures, RTS maps, hulls, and equipment. Its main claim to fame is that the pirates have been fleshed out from randomly spawning annoyances into a faction of their own, which, like the Dominators, can take control of star systems, but unlike the Dominators can be joined by the players to either lead them to victory or bring them down from within. Which is actually a pretty great idea, except that fighting either for or against the pirates is a colossal pain in the rear end because, unlike Dominators, Coalition and Pirate ships have afterburners and will constantly land and repair. So unless you're playing on a difficulty that makes them a serious threat, the Pirates are honestly best off ignored.

Also, the peaceful option for dealing with Dominator Keller is broken in this version; it asks Can you speak for all Rangers? but the only option is "no" even if you are the #1 ranked Ranger and have maximum rank in both the Coalition and Pirate factions.

More Space Rangers 2 is not exactly a bad thing, but this should probably have been released as a patch (the high resolution support) and $5 DLC (the pirates) for SR2: Reboot rather than as a $20 game, and if you already have SR2: Reboot you might as well just play that again rather than shelling out for SR2HD.

Beaten: LUFTRAUSERS

By which I mean I killed the blimp and unlocked all of the non-skull components. The requirements for unlocking the skulls are completely insane and I've hit my skill ceiling in this game; I don't really feel like playing it for dozens more hours just to improve my skills. Score-attack games without some other sense of progression aren't really my thing. It was fun while it lasted, though.

Null: Sir, You Are Being Hunted

I have discovered that outdoor stealth on giant mostly flat islands is really not my idea of a good time.

New Games: Battlestations Midway, Gigantic Army, Hero Siege, Papers Please, Peggle Extreme, Unholy Heights

Ok, BSM was a gift and most of the rest are from bundles. But where the hell did Peggle Extreme come from? I ran bltool and it just showed up in the list. In Steam it even shows up as installed, but I have no recollection of installing it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
COMPLETE: Saints Row: The Third + DLC - After the depressing double feature of Always Sometimes Monsters and The Walking Dead: Season 2, it was relieving to play something that didn't take itself too seriously. Saints Row 3 is a game that takes it's ludicrous world and weird scenarios and just rolls with them. I enjoyed every bit of it, from the brilliantly inventive missions to the simple things, like stealing a car and accidentally starting a gang war. I got through the main story, played and completed most of the DLC missions (Curse you Genki!) wished it would never end. I will however hold off on rushing straight into Saints Row IV.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
  • Bioshock 2 - Rapture sure has changed. Still love this game.
  • Kane & Lynch 1 - That level with the snipers borders on abuse. I'm so close to NULLing this game.
  • Need for Speed: Most Wanted - I hardly even do the races, I just hop into a fast car and drive like a mad man.
  • Saw - I'm onto Chapter 2 and I can get why people don't like this one.
  • The Sims 3 + Expansions - The Sims 4 coming out has made me want to play this again and so it's time to create a good family that wont die after 2 days.
  • Sniper Elite V2 - The X-Ray Death cam never gets old.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
ADDED: inFamous

I'm not sure if I'm going to null it or not yet. This is my 3rd attempt and it's kind of annoying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

ADDED: inFamous

I'm not sure if I'm going to null it or not yet. This is my 3rd attempt and it's kind of annoying.

I'd just null it if it's your third time trying to finish it and watch the ending which is the best part. The sequels do a better job expanding on the gameplay and powers so all you're really doing is playing the equivalent of Uncharted 1 when Uncharted 2 is sitting next to you.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Null: Hero Siege

Maybe it's more fun in multiplayer but it feels like a terrible grind to level up to the point that you can realistically make progress. Or maybe I'm just terrible at this game.

Null: Area 51

A 2005 remake of a 1995 lightgun game. Its lightgun origins are a bit too evident for me to really enjoy it and the weapons have no real sense of occasion.

Also, wiki says that this game was praised for its graphics when it came out, which strikes me as really implausible since it looks like something that came out in 2000.

Next up is...:rolldice: Battleships Forever. Which is still unfinished and apparently development stopped five years ago. Hrm.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 15, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ToxicFrog posted:

Null: Area 51

A 2005 remake of a 1995 lightgun game. Its lightgun origins are a bit too evident for me to really enjoy it and the weapons have no real sense of occasion.

Also, wiki says that this game was praised for its graphics when it came out, which strikes me as really implausible since it looks like something that came out in 2000.

Is this the one where everything is done with live actors? When I first saw this game, I thought for sure every game was somehow going to have live actors in it. After all, graphics can't possibly be better than ACTUALLY REAL.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is this the one where everything is done with live actors? When I first saw this game, I thought for sure every game was somehow going to have live actors in it. After all, graphics can't possibly be better than ACTUALLY REAL.

The original shooter, yes, and it was awesome. The 2005 game is a standard 3D FPS featuring Mariyln Manson as big headed alien.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Don't forget David Duchovny. And amazingly the Area 51 game they made a few years later was even worse. The best game in that series is still the original lightgun game and that sucked too.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat - Shovel Knight: Not much I can add to this that the internet doesn't already know. Such a wonderful game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Remember Me - The combat is not as bad as people say but it is true that the second you find out about memory remixing you immediately realize the game is not going to fully explore this concept and that is the real shame. You get I think 4 memory remix scenes in the entire game, when there should have been at least one every chapter!!

BEATEN: The Fall - It was a cool, short side-scrolling inventory-puzzling gun-shooting adventure. I guess it's part 1 of a trilogy? I wonder when the next part will come out. Who knows with indie games.

BEATEN: Story About My Uncle - An alright spiderman platformer where you have a grapple hook, super jump, rocket boots, extra-long jump, and have to navigate perilous, increasingly sparse environments trying not to fall to your death.

BEATEN: Little Inferno - Cool toy. Was not expecting the weird genre shift in the ending.

BEATEN: Outlast - BOO!!!!! Okay so I liked the game but the jump scares are totally unnecessary. The game's spooky enough already, when will developers realize this??

BEATEN: Botanicula - Honestly? I preferred Machinarium. This just didn't have staying power for me. And some of the puzzles seemed completely random, even moreso than Samorost.

ADDED: ACIV Black Flag, Deadly Premonition, Finding Teddy, Ether One

ON DECK: Thi4f, Child of Light, Shank 2, Toki Tori 2+, Tex Murphy Overseer

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Legit wondering how you'll do with this. Maybe I'm just stupid but I found this game to be hard as balls.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Yodzilla posted:

Legit wondering how you'll do with this. Maybe I'm just stupid but I found this game to be hard as balls.

I cleared it awhile back, and I can say with certainty that it doesn't gently caress around. It also does some things I haven't seen anyone dare to do for decades, and I think we stopped doing those things because they brickwall players. But for me, that meant it actually was what it seemed like everyone was saying Fez would be.

So I too am legit wondering how he'll do with it.

As for me, a bunch of Kickstarters came due, and I made some ill-advised purchases, so I have a big whack of new games: Wasteland 2, Steamworld Dig, Hammerwatch, Retro/Grade, Gone Home, Child of Light, LEGO Marvel, and Typing of the Dead: Overkill. I'm looking forward to the "STEEL" release of Sunless Sea as well, because it's going to completely change combat.

NULLED: Hammerwatch. Everything about this I could respect was done better by Spiral Knights.
COMPLETED: Retro/Grade. It's Rock Band meets Audiosurf, and I cleared campaign mode on the hardest difficulty level and got to the end of the challenge maps. I got my money's worth from it, that's for sure, but I also got it at 90% off.
BEATEN: Dyad. Didn't I null this? I did, but then I came back to it and blew through all the levels, so OK. This wasn't sure whether it wanted to be a rhythm-like game or a racer and so it end up being pretty forgettable.
LIVE REPLAYS AND POSTGAMES: World of Xeen, DROD 2, DROD 3. I'm secret-hunting in the DRODs and I'm going to go for a 100% run of Xeen. I skipped a bunch of dungeons completely last time. I'm not going for "all awards" because some of them require lucky equipment drops to meet the absurd stat requirements.
IN PROGRESS: Child of Light. Pretty cute, though I'm not sure how much game there is here. I do dig the active-time system because chain-interrupting bosses doesn't get old.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Battlestations Midway

The early missions, where you control a single fighter or warship, are actually pretty fun. Later ones, where you control a carrier or airfield, are a lot less fun; yes, you can jump into any of your planes at a moment's notice, but I found the ships a lot more fun than the planes, and you have to constantly be checking the tactical map anyways to make sure your poo poo isn't getting pushed in elsewhere. I made it to the first mission set at Midway itself and then dropped it.

Also, the ship missions reminded me a lot of Warship Gunner 2, and thus made me sad because (a) Warship Gunner 2 was better and (b) there has never been a Warship Gunner game on PC, or a Warship Gunner 3, or a Starship Gunner.

gently caress, I'd sell someone else's kidneys for Starship Gunner.

Nulled: Chantelise

Sorry, Carpe Fulgur, but you bastards never finished your Atelier Marie translation 3d brawler-ish things are kind of hit and miss with me and this one is mostly miss. You can kind of tell that Recettear was made after it, as it's a much more polished and addictive game.

Now Playing: Divine Divinity

Now that Divinity: Original Sin is out, I'm going to finish the original or die trying :black101:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
ADDED and BEAT: Roundabout

Fantastic little game :allears:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Finding Teddy - Really simple adventure game, I wonder if it was originally designed for tablets, since there's almost no interface to speak of and every click has visual feedback.

BEATEN: Ether One - This game was my jam. If you like Gone Home you should play this game because it's like a much larger, puzzle-filled version. The story is a little silly with an "AAA game"-esque plot twist, but other than that, it's got all the things you want: 3D object interaction, reading letters and notes, pulling levers, using inventory items with other items. The works.

BEATEN: Red Faction Armageddon - Uhh to say average is an understatement. This game does not even try to be better than average. It's as if they set out from the beginning to make the most marginally passable shooter in history.

ADDED: F.E.A.R., XCOM: The Bureau, Thi4f, Far Cry 3

ONGOING: ACIV Black Flag, Deadly Premonition

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 23, 2014

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

COMPLETED: Dishonored. It takes a while to get going, but once it does it's fantastic. I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed it even more if I hadn't gone all achievement :spergin: and aimed for the Clean Hands/Ghost/Mostly Flesh and Steel trio. I got them though, so it was kinda worth it. However, I have heard that if you choose to use all the fun powers and tools, you get punished for it with a poo poo ending.

PLAYED: Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials. I gave up on this DLC, as it was rather boring. I played long enough to see the mindfuck bits of Burglary and Kill Cascade, then consigned it to the digital boneyard.

COMPLETED: Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. I played this 10 years ago, and I loved it to death. I played it again recently, and I got bored out of my skull. I guess I just lost interest in repeatedly building the same base over and over again. I'm still happy it's available on Steam though, even if it's not my thing anymore.

COMPLETED: Dragon Age I: Origins: Awakening. I preordered this back in March 2010, and it took me 4 and a half years to get around to it. I spent the whole of August playing Origins + DLC, in order to get ready for Inquisition. I'm still not brave enough to install DAII, though. As for Awakenings itself, it's kinda bland and buggy but there were a couple of interesting ideas in it. I did enjoy it enough to finish it, after all.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty VI: Modern Warfare II. I have very mixed feelings about this game. On the one hand, the gameplay is smooth and enjoyable, and the short little 2-player co-op missions are quite possibly the best idea the CoD series has ever had. On the other hand, the plot was full of holes. It's not that several plot points are poorly explained, those plot points are straight-up not explained at all. Where did Makarov come from? I actually checked the series wiki. He's not even mentioned in MW I, but now he's a primary antagonist. Shepherd describes him as a man with no ideals or loyalties to anyone but the highest bidder, but he's fanatically devoted to Zakhaev and we never find out why. Why does Shepherd betray Task Force 141? It comes out of nowhere, it's never justified, and it makes no sense. If it hadn't happened, Ghost and Roach would've handed over the intel from the safehouse and gone right back to hunting Makarov. All he did was throw away assets for no reason. So, wonderful gameplay, story written by people with recent head trauma. Still worth it, in my opinion.

Up next: I'm so very sick of fantasy. It's either going to be Endless Space, which I impulse bought at full price, or getting started on the X series with Beyond the Frontier.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
BEAT: Batman: Arkham Origins - Leaving this one installed because I will get around to Cold, Cold Heart eventually and playing as Deathstroke in the challenge maps is pretty interesting and will serve as my taste of Batman gameplay until Arkham Knight comes out.

Putting Assassin's Creed III into the active column now, last time I tried to play it, my PC was beginning to suffer serious CPU heat issues that were causing lag in most of my games but now I have a new PC so I will try it again. I am very prepared to null it if I have to and even if I don't, I will be critical pathing it the same way I did Revelations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

EightDeer posted:

PLAYED: Dishonored: Dunwall City Trials. I gave up on this DLC, as it was rather boring. I played long enough to see the mindfuck bits of Burglary and Kill Cascade, then consigned it to the digital boneyard.

The Knife of Dunwall/The Brigmore Witches are definitely worth a play; they're proper story DLC rather than just score-attack maps and very well done.

quote:

Up next: I'm so very sick of fantasy. It's either going to be Endless Space, which I impulse bought at full price, or getting started on the X series with Beyond the Frontier.

The thing with the X games is that the storyline is terrible and forgettable; even more so than the Elder Scrolls series, it's just there to give you an excuse to wander around the sandbox becoming the supreme space pirate/business mogul/military commander. This means that there is very little reason not to just jump directly to X3: Albion Prelude, especially since X:BTF (and X2) have aged exceptionally poorly with respect to both user interface and technical stability.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

ToxicFrog posted:

The thing with the X games is that the storyline is terrible and forgettable; even more so than the Elder Scrolls series, it's just there to give you an excuse to wander around the sandbox becoming the supreme space pirate/business mogul/military commander. This means that there is very little reason not to just jump directly to X3: Albion Prelude, especially since X:BTF (and X2) have aged exceptionally poorly with respect to both user interface and technical stability.
Can you also skip X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict if you have X3: Albion Prelude or are they separate stories within the X3 setting?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

BEATEN: Finding Teddy - Really simple adventure game, I wonder if it was originally designed for tablets, since there's almost no interface to speak of and every click has visual feedback.

It is indeed a port of a mobile phone game.
It is simple but I enjoyed the atmosphere.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: F.E.A.R. - I had this on my "will probably never play" category, but I tried it out of the blue and holy cow it's fun. The gameplay's aged very well for a 9 year old game. The graphics... well they're serviceable but you are seeing the same office environments over and over and over and over and over.

BEATEN: Only If - Saw the words "free", "narrative" and "weird" and that pushed every button. Okay so it has some serious issues, like the audio is often ridiculously quiet, and the house section of the game is way too dark to be able to see anything most of the time. But this is a weird wild ride. Play it with a walkthrough so you know what the gently caress you're supposed to do.

BEATEN: Thi4f - I mean it wasn't terrible but it felt like thievery and stealth were optional components. The design is terrible, and I'm not just talking about the linearity, but the lack of routes! Dishonored has somewhat linear level design and yet it's able to have different routes for different playstyles. Instead Thi4f funnels you, constantly, endlessly down paths littered with guards. I don't feel stealthy so much as I feel lucky when I'm not caught. And then there are levels where for no reason you're being chased as things explode around you, or you're running through a collapsing exploding city, and it's like.. what happened here. Did Square Enix have some other game that they re-shaped into a Thief game? I don't understand.

BEATEN: Far Cry 3 - After disliking Blood Dragon, I let my guard down and was really surprised by how good Far Cry 3 is. Blood Dragon just feels like a really lovely demo now. I wanna come back to this game later and do the side stuff, which I don't normally do in games. Never could find boars though, always pigs.

ONGOING: ACIV Black Flag, Deadly Premonition, Teslagrad, XCOM: The Bureau

Steam Completionist says I have less than 50 'unplayed' games in my library. :eyepop:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BEATEN: Far Cry 3 - After disliking Blood Dragon, I let my guard down and was really surprised by how good Far Cry 3 is. Blood Dragon just feels like a really lovely demo now. I wanna come back to this game later and do the side stuff, which I don't normally do in games. Never could find boars though, always pigs.

It's funny, a lot of people have the opposite opinion. That Far Cry 3 was too far reaching while Blood Dragon was more focused and better designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

al-azad posted:

It's funny, a lot of people have the opposite opinion. That Far Cry 3 was too far reaching while Blood Dragon was more focused and better designed.

I enjoyed the crap out of Blood Dragon's silly story, dumb rear end humor, and bad rear end ending. On the other hand, I probably enjoyed Far Cry 3 more if only for it looking better. A big rear end lush green island was more appealing to me than a dark island with neon everywhere.

They're both pretty fun games with dumb stories. One is just shorter and the story is dumb on purpose.