Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Ah, yes, the Loops. Those things.

The premise is that every piece of fiction that has ever existed is real and part of a multiverse-spanning computer called Yggdrassil. Then something goes wrong. Now all the universes are stuck in time loops which happen to conincide with our perspective of when those pieces of fiction take place - so the My Little Pony loops :rolleyes: start when the show starts and end whenever the show ends at the time of writing. Some characters 'persist' between loops, others don't, some are on and off. Sometimes crossovers happen :rolleyes:, of varying length and quality.

It tends to devolve into either bad meta humour, endless in-jokes or regular low-quality writing. I happen to have a soft spot for it because nine times out of ten it takes the piss out of the usual fanfiction cliches and doesn't take itself seriously at all. :shobon:

Apparently the 'curator' of that particular set of loops is getting real defensive about how they choose to spend their time instead of being willing to accept people don't like the stuff they like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tropers, Bronies, and Fascists: Appropriating Norse Mythology like it's going out of style.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Real political purges don't work that way

"Ugh, you just don't understand how political infighting works, man who was nearly killed in Communist purges during the Spanish Civil War."

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Chexoid posted:

If only there was a sudden craze for turning classic books into JRPGs.

I did see some manga versions of Shakespeare's plays in the bookshop a while ago. I wondered who they were for, but it must be tropers.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I love how half their 'criticism' of 1984 is just them trying to convince themselves that it totally couldn't happen and nothing could ever be that awful and it'd all come crashing down soon after the book ends anyway right? Right?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Strategic Tea posted:

I love how half their 'criticism' of 1984 is just them trying to convince themselves that it totally couldn't happen and nothing could ever be that awful and it'd all come crashing down soon after the book ends anyway right? Right?
They're too smart for all that and they'd explain it to everyone there and everyone would be soooo grateful and say "eee, Troper! You are so wise you should be our ruler!".

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't think that I've ever seen a review before that completely omitted any specifics at all about its object and its judgement. Does this even count as one?

It's strange, I don't disagree with the overall assessment (great gatsby is boring and shallow) and yet, I know that the tropers understanding of it is wrong. It seems inherent to them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Quack posted:

It's strange, I don't disagree with the overall assessment (great gatsby is boring and shallow) and yet, I know that the tropers understanding of it is wrong. It seems inherent to them.

For one thing they think the Great Gatsby is out of print, despite the fact it's been on the presses for churning out to new middle school students pretty consistently since 20s literature became an acceptable thing for English classes.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Nintendo Kid posted:

For one thing they think the Great Gatsby is out of print, despite the fact it's been on the presses for churning out to new middle school students pretty consistently since 20s literature became an acceptable thing for English classes.
It did go out of print after its initial run, actually. It was decades until people took it seriously, well after Fitzgerald himself had died.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Strategic Tea posted:

I know that's what I did after I read it, because the ending made me extremely depressed. But that was in high school and even I could see the point George Orwell was going for.

Gonna have to :lol: at the troper complaining that 1984 isn't a criticism of totalitarianism, just of communism and that all the bad poo poo about communism was just propaganda from later historians. Because it's not like the only communist countries in history have been totalitarian shitholes or something, that's all propaganda :jerkbag:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
It's weird and hilarious that stalinists read and post on tvtropes

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's probably just a stupid troper who calls himself Stalinist because it's edgy. Of course, that's most Stalinists, but still.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With how often Tropers take things at face value, I can't believe that they miss that 1984 is talking about how government surveillance is bad. They just see "DYSTOPIA: THE NOVEL" and leave it at that. You don't write about dystopias, you use dystopias to broach other subjects. It's a setting for god's sake.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

With how often Tropers take things at face value, I can't believe that they miss that 1984 is talking about how government surveillance is bad. They just see "DYSTOPIA: THE NOVEL" and leave it at that. You don't write about dystopias, you use dystopias to broach other subjects. It's a setting for god's sake.

Tropers often get setting and plot mixed up, just look at all the worldbuilding they do.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thinky Whale posted:

"Ugh, you just don't understand how political infighting works, man who was nearly killed in Communist purges during the Spanish Civil War."

Don't forget them latching onto the Prince as the big treatise on political theory, despite the strong possibility it was a book of flattery intended for wealthy patrons and the very real fact that Machiavelli was a staunch republican.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

WickedHate posted:

I have autism and I've never seen the appeal, personally.

He said while buying a Nintendo system to play a Sonic game in the year of our lord 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

He said while buying a Nintendo system to play a Sonic game in the year of our lord 2013

I changed my mind since then. :colbert:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 19, 2014

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

WickedHate posted:

I changed my mind since then. :colbert:

- a person who bought an SA account in 2013

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

YMMV/And Then There Were None posted:

Draco in Leather Pants: Lombard seems to be gaining himself a bit of a fandom on deviantART.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

To be fair, isn't there that epilogue chapter that's structured like a historical essay after the fall of the Party?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I don't think there is.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

To be fair, isn't there that epilogue chapter that's structured like a historical essay after the fall of the Party?

You might be thinking of The Handmaid's Tale, which does exactly that.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Flesnolk posted:

There's a Newspeak dictionary at the end, and iirc it's written in past tense. I guess one could theorize from there that the language is abandoned at the time that the dictionary portion is written, and thus the Party is no longer in power. I mean, it's almost definitely out-of-story and actually written from Orwell's perspective, but God forbid we let a cautionary tale have a fitting ending, right?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, I think either I had crossed wires with the Handmaid's Tale or was remembering a bunch of arguments I'd seen that the way the Newspeak dictionary is written implied an eventual fall of the Party.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Flesnolk posted:

Yeah, I think either I had crossed wires with the Handmaid's Tale or was remembering a bunch of arguments I'd seen that the way the Newspeak dictionary is written implied an eventual fall of the Party.

Pretty much any government will fall eventually. It's like saying a movie where the bad guy wins doesn't have a purpose because one day, barring magic or super science in the story, they will die.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Fanfic Recs: Web Original

Armageddon???

Recommended by Jinx, Andy Waltfeld, Looney Toons
Synopsis: The gates of Heaven are shut, and all mankind has been turned over to the forces of Hell. Humanity does not take this lightly, and all Earth breaks loose on Hell as Stardestroyer.net forum members Fan Wank over the weapons and physics involved.
Comments:
Andy Waltfeld: Seconding the rec for anybody with a penchant for Blackadder references, Knowing That Gun, dancing on the diamond edge of the Mohs Scale of Sci-Fi Hardness (obvious theological implications aside), pumping a few Bunker Busters into Satan, or otherwise proving that Humans Are Special when prompted to take a stand against divine authority. And stay tuned for the sequels.
Addendum to the above: It has a page now. Props to Thirty Ninth Step.

Oh, this thing. It isn't Fan Wank, it's literal masturbation over the military invading Hell and it's awful. Scenes include Prime Minister Gordon Brown calling the demons 'baldricks' and having that stick as a nickname, Bill Clinton spotting and killing a succubus infiltrator because of his experience thanks to Hillary, demons being killed en mass by tanks, a bunch of marines guard a psychic transgender sub called 'kitten' (explicitly lower case) and learning a valuable lesson about tolerance, soldiers invading hell finding that all aborted babies go there and are eaten as snacks, Julius Caesar making a nation of dead people in the conquered Hell, George Bush being an effective president, Jesus teleporting a bunch of soldiers into God's throne room and killing him, plus more lists of military equipment being described in tediously boring action than you can shake your stick at. It's all stupid, stupid poo poo.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Illuyankas posted:

Oh, this thing. It isn't Fan Wank, it's literal masturbation over the military invading Hell and it's awful. Scenes include Prime Minister Gordon Brown calling the demons 'baldricks' and having that stick as a nickname, Bill Clinton spotting and killing a succubus infiltrator because of his experience thanks to Hillary, demons being killed en mass by tanks, a bunch of marines guard a psychic transgender sub called 'kitten' (explicitly lower case) and learning a valuable lesson about tolerance, soldiers invading hell finding that all aborted babies go there and are eaten as snacks, Julius Caesar making a nation of dead people in the conquered Hell, George Bush being an effective president, Jesus teleporting a bunch of soldiers into God's throne room and killing him, plus more lists of military equipment being described in tediously boring action than you can shake your stick at. It's all stupid, stupid poo poo.

Wait, wait, wait

Someone liked Gordon Brown?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

corn in the bible posted:

Wait, wait, wait

Someone liked Gordon Brown?

The same guy wrote George W. Bush as a skillful manipulator and leader. I don't think he's playing with a full deck.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Illuyankas posted:

a bunch of marines guard a psychic transgender sub called 'kitten' (explicitly lower case) and learning a valuable lesson about tolerance
Wrap it up, everyone. It's all downhill from here.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Illuyankas posted:

[...] Julius Caesar making a nation of dead people in the conquered Hell [...] Jesus teleporting a bunch of soldiers into God's throne room and killing him

That sounds stupid as all hell (:v:) but that bit about Julius Caesar's personal nation in Hell sounds pretty awesome and could probably be a cool story if it were done competently. History's greatest conquers won't let something like death get in the way of their ambition!

And Jesus killing God sounds like something out of an SMT game, maybe he's actually going to be the writer for SMT5?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Night10194 posted:

The same guy wrote George W. Bush as a skillful manipulator and leader. I don't think he's playing with a full deck.

The author is a neocon whackjob who looks a little like the Penguin, so it's not that surprising. TSW is all over TV Tropes, but mostly because him and a few sycophants from when the story was on Star Destroyer.net used the site as gigantic, free ad space.

Also, not kidding about him looking like the Penguin:

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 20, 2014

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
Yet more proof that tropers cannot face reality without excessive categorization:

Dark and Troubled Past posted:

Eminem. The man's life has been hell.

This is placed right between an entry on the Elephant Man and an entry on Holocaust survivors.

Lighter and Softer: Other posted:

Some grandparents are accused of this by their children.

Loads And Loads of Characters posted:

* At the moment, the total human cast of Real Life has just passed 7 billion.
** If you include all the humans who have died, the number goes up to (an estimated) 108 billion.
** Unfortunately, you can only maintain a stable, social relationship with around 150 of them at a given time. This is known as Dunbar's Number.
*** This fact, however, doesn't stop some people having a Facebook "friends list" several times that number, however; a source of minor contention for skeptics of social media.

Red Oni, Blue Oni: Real Life posted:

Hard drinking, hard fighting Christopher Marlowe was the Red Oni to William Shakespeare's Blue Oni.

Same as the above posted:

Model company Tamiya has a logo consisting of two white stars; one on a red background, one on a blue background. And indeed, the red star stands for passion and the blue one for precision.

Soda companies are people too! posted:

Coca-Cola and Pepsi. Coca-Cola has survived by its aggressive and continual marketing campaign and bright, memorable advertisements, is incredibly popular, and is sold in red cans. Pepsi has a much more subtle presence in marketing and is sold in blue cans. On the other hand, Pepsi is totally the Red Oni, in spite of the can color. When their ads do show up, they're all about aggressively taking potshots at Coca-Cola. Coca-Cola's marketing generally involves adorable polar bears quietly enjoying a refreshing Coke.

(On that last one: it's generally not a good thing if you change your entire position halfway through a paragraph.)

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Does Pepsi murder union organizers at bottling plants or just coke? Truly, the company that does that gets the anime nickname it so richly deserves.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't help but the old Freep thread title would also be fitting for TVT.

TvTropes : There's always more and its always worse.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Illuyankas posted:

someone needs to tell fplus about this because I demand a dramatic reading of the highlights

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It might take a bit to compile that for them - even just the first "book" is 85 ludicrously long chapters of this nonsense. Probably not a one-goon job.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The highlight was definitely the author getting fired from his job with a defense contractor because one chapter had some classified information in it, IIRC.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Whenever anyone asked him about technical stuff he'd cover his rear end by saying "that's classified," even if he'd already put it in the story, so I'd not be surprised. There's also the part where he has the Pope excommunicate God, on the note of highlights.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Whenever anyone asked him about technical stuff he'd cover his rear end by saying "that's classified," even if he'd already put it in the story, so I'd not be surprised. There's also the part where he has the Pope excommunicate God, on the note of highlights.

This is art :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I even googled it to find the exact excerpt so nobody else would have to dig around for it:

quote:

It was a relief to be dealing with a normal-sized figure again. “Lugasharmanaska, you can lock in on Deumos’s mind at any time?”

“Yes Sir.

“Good.” Bush pressed another button on his intercom. “Condi, please call Vladimir in Moscow. There’s some equipment we need to borrow.”

“Very good Sir. Oh, Sir, there’s something on television you should watch. The Pope’s issued a statement.”

“I thought he was laying low. Oh well. Thank you Condi.” He switched the intercom off and went into an anteroom where a large flat-screen television was set up. His aides checked the channel was set to Fox news and turned it on. Fox’s Rome anchorman was speaking.

“And we have just received the news of the Papal statement. The full version will be issued in about three hours time but we have an advanced abstract now. It reads as follows.

“Current events have challenged the very core of our beliefs and thrown all that we believed into doubt. One thing must remain clear, that we follow the teachings of Jesus Christ that provide a good and just basis for all of human conduct. But we cannot deny that these have been corrupted and misapplied, that grave mistakes have been made and that crimes of great magnitude committed. At times like this we must believe that we have been mislead and deceived by imposters and deceivers who succeeded in leading us down a false path. We can be sure that the God who has led us down this false path is not the God of whom our Lord Jesus Christ Spoke. We can be sure it is those deceivers and imposters and in particular those who lead them, that are responsible for the grievous errors that have been committed in our Church’s name. we must cast out such deceivers and purify ourselves so that we can, once more, follow the teachings of Christ as they were meant to be followed.

"To do this I call upon the Holy Catholic Church to excommunicate God.”

Also, even funnier is that the author of this mess turned into kind of a lesson to Fast Eddie about how quickly these internet cults of personality can turn around, but that might be a story for another thread.

• Locked thread