Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Watch and find out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
I am right now! I thought the game started at 9:30 EST, but I tuned in and it's halfway through the 2nd quarter. What gives?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Sunday Night games are at 8:30 EST.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Overall though...bad news. They would probably be expected to start the season 1-1, but last week was supposed to be the win and this week the loss. Even if they win this one, losing to the Bills is not a good look. This was supposed to be a year they could at least make the playoffs, they have some pretty awesome talent on offense.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Liam Emsa posted:

So, how are the Chicago Bears going to fare this year in their matches?

The Bears will finish last in their division. They may be the worst team in the nfl.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bears will finish last in their division. They may be the worst team in the nfl.

Raiders & Jaguars & any NFC East team.

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

q
(The only time I've had an honest-to-God huddle recently was on the play where we had 33 seconds remaining, Team A down by 6 with 3rd and goal on the 4-yard line, and the deep officials see a pass appear out of the backfield which gets touched about twelve times by various people failing to catch it, and then finally caught by an extremely surprised A75 in the end zone. That one we talked about before doing anything!)

Curious as to what the result was here. From the description you've given the ball was tipped multiple times without hitting the ground before being caught in the end zone by an eligable receiver? Isn't that a straight TD call or is there more to it than that outside of the obvious 'did anyone else just see that?' side.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Spork o Doom posted:

Curious as to what the result was here. From the description you've given the ball was tipped multiple times without hitting the ground before being caught in the end zone by an eligable receiver? Isn't that a straight TD call or is there more to it than that outside of the obvious 'did anyone else just see that?' side.

A75 does not begin the down as an eligible receiver; Team A players wearing numbers 50-79 cannot touch a forward pass until after the pass touches an opponent or official. From back judge (under the posts on the end line) I had a reasonable view of all the tips and touches at the end (and I was certain that A75 had completed the catch in the end zone), but I couldn't be entirely sure who it was that touched the ball first; if it was A75, it's illegal touching, and if no Team B player touched it before A75 did, it's also illegal touching; so I'm going to check with my mates who had a different angle to see what they've got before I do anything. Much better to do that proactively than to stick your arms in the air, and then someone else appears going "WAIT WAIT WAIT what about..." and now the coach is yelling "you gave us the score and then took it away!!!!" and throwing his hat around.

The other thing to consider is that we snapped from B's 4, and A75 was then about two yards deep in the end zone when he made the catch; so regardless of who touched the ball first, was he an ineligible downfield at the time the pass was thrown? None of the deep officials knew, because we were all watching receivers until the pass was crossing into the end zone, so we needed to go see if anyone else could help.

(Fortunately our umpire had his head screwed on, and before we could get into any of that stuff, he came up and told us that the pass had also been tipped by a defensive lineman in the backfield, which solved both problems at once; that touch made A75 eligible, so it didn't matter who touched it first in the action I'd seen; and it also meant that the pass had not crossed the neutral zone untouched, so we couldn't have ineligibles downfield; so all we're left with is a completed pass in the end zone, and Team A kicked the point by a coat of paint inside the left post to win 21-20.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 15, 2014

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011
Gotcha. I had somehow mentally added tipped 'by a defensive player' in to the story on my own bat which is obviously the difference maker here. A lot harder to determine on field than on replay of course!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
My Google-fu is weak, so I'm asking it here.

When an NCAA player has to sit out a year for academic reasons, and has already played a season, can they still (if available) use a redshirt for that season or does that count as one of the 4 years of eligibility? I thought of this during the Notre Dame game, because the announcers were nice enough to remind me why Gholston missed last year (academic eligibility).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

My Google-fu is weak, so I'm asking it here.

When an NCAA player has to sit out a year for academic reasons, and has already played a season, can they still (if available) use a redshirt for that season or does that count as one of the 4 years of eligibility? I thought of this during the Notre Dame game, because the announcers were nice enough to remind me why Gholston missed last year (academic eligibility).

Yeah, the redshirt year isn't required to be your first year on campus or anything. Works the same if you have to sit a year for transfer or injury.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Going along with that, there are also cases where you can have multiple redshirt years.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah, the redshirt year isn't required to be your first year on campus or anything. Works the same if you have to sit a year for transfer or injury.

Only if the player hasn't already used a redshirt for any other reason. If somebody has already used their redshirt they wouldn't get an extra redshirt year due to being academically ineligible.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thanks. I knew about using a redshirt for injury but I didn't know if it could be used for academic reasons.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

turbomoose posted:

Going along with that, there are also cases where you can have multiple redshirt years.

It's not common but it happens, usually when someone redshirts for a normal reason and then gets a medical redshirt for injury later on.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

So... as an outsider to the NFL I'm finding it hilarious that all of a sudden in the past few weeks players are getting kicked off teams left and right for crimes.

Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and now Jonathan Dwyer.

Is it just a coincidence that these are all happening at once, or do these usually get swept under the rug and now the NFL is knee-jerk reacting?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Ray Rice was a pretty big story anyway, it just blew up into an amazingly huge one when the video inside the elevator was released. I think Peterson would have gotten quite a bit of attention because he's such a huge star, although we wouldn't have gotten to the point where sponsors get involved.

Dwyer seems like the exact type of story that would be quietly swept under the rug if none of the other stuff happened. Not a star, no video involved, incident happened in July and was reported to the police last week if I'm reading things right. Maybe a 2 or 3 game suspension depending on how bad the facts are, maybe nothing. There'd be a few stories but only the people who really pay attention would notice or care.

CzarStark
Dec 23, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In a trade like the recent Logan Mankins one, how much say does the player have in the matter? Could he demand or refuse to be traded?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

CzarStark posted:

In a trade like the recent Logan Mankins one, how much say does the player have in the matter? Could he demand or refuse to be traded?
None. You can refuse to report like Richard Seymour did when he was traded to the Raiders, but eventually they realize they have no say in the matter and being paid is way more important.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

A thought occurred to me:

Back in the days when you could tie in college ball, how common was 'playing for the tie?' Did ties negatively impact teams in the polls?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

Back in the days when you could tie in college ball, how common was 'playing for the tie?' Did ties negatively impact teams in the polls?

As you might expect, a tie was intermediate between a win and a loss. Lower ranked or away teams would play for the tie, higher ranked and home teams were expected to go for the win.

A weak team pulling a tie against a much better team was almost as good as beating them. Ties between similar teams were essentially no-games, to somewhat net positive for both.

If winning is 10 and losing is 0, a tie rated about a 6 or 7.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Sash! posted:

It was kinda a pro troll move in the right spots. Pat Dye infuriated Syracuse in the '88 ('87 season) Sugar Bowl by kicking a 30-yard field goal with one second left for a tie rather than risking a play for the win. Auburn already had a loss and didn't have a ton to gain from the win, but the tie was the only blemish on a perfect season for Syracuse and kept them from winning a natty.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

After watching this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxDdGASwvpU

Is that something that could legally occur in the NFL? Does the ball have to be kicked through the uprights, or can it be done any way? Like.. could a player theoretically run towards the uprights and dunk it over?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Liam Emsa posted:

After watching this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxDdGASwvpU

Is that something that could legally occur in the NFL? Does the ball have to be kicked through the uprights, or can it be done any way? Like.. could a player theoretically run towards the uprights and dunk it over?

NFL rules:

quote:

SUCCESSFUL FIELD GOAL
Article 1
Successful Field Goal.
A field goal is scored when all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The kick must be a placekick or dropkick made by the offense from behind the line of scrimmage or from the spot of a fair catch (fair-catch kick). If a fair catch is made or awarded outside the inbound line, the spot of the kick is the nearest inbound line.
(b) After the ball is kicked, it must not touch the ground or any player of the offensive team before it passes through the goal.

So no, it's not legal in the NFL. The NCAA changed their rule in about 1912, I don't think they changed it back since then.

That's probably a rule just for the high school or youth league they're in.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 22, 2014

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
Make drop-kick alley-oops over the crossbar worth 10 points. Watch as Doug Flutie is signed out of retirement at 7 figures.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm only seeing a touch by the guy in the end zone, it seems like it's gone clean through the heads at the line and then off that poor kid's shoulder and over the bar.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

I'm only seeing a touch by the guy in the end zone, it seems like it's gone clean through the heads at the line and then off that poor kid's shoulder and over the bar.

:doh: I could have sworn I saw it bounce off the ground and go through. Yeah, it actually hit the defender and bounced through. That's legal.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I don't know why on long field goal attempts teams don't just stick the tallest guy or whoever has the highest vertical reach to try and block it. I mean, I know you have a return guy, but there are some circumstances where you want to commit to the block, like if its a FG to tie the game as time expires. Then a return is worthless, just stick your project 6'8" WR back there to try to block it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I believe that the NFL has a rule against goaltending. NCAA doesn't, unless the guy climbs the posts and turns it into an unfair act.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Trin Tragula posted:

unless the guy climbs the posts and turns it into an unfair act.

Want to see that.

Is it actually against the rules anywhere that says "don't go climbing the goalpost" or is that one of those blanket things like "don't drive a car on the field" that's so against the rules that its not even codified.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

swickles posted:

I don't know why on long field goal attempts teams don't just stick the tallest guy or whoever has the highest vertical reach to try and block it. I mean, I know you have a return guy, but there are some circumstances where you want to commit to the block, like if its a FG to tie the game as time expires. Then a return is worthless, just stick your project 6'8" WR back there to try to block it.

Is this post from before the Iron Bowl?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is this post from before the Iron Bowl?

That FG was for the win, not to tie the game up. So putting a guy back to return makes more sense, and it worked out.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Deteriorata posted:

NFL rules:

So no, it's not legal in the NFL. The NCAA changed their rule in about 1912, I don't think they changed it back since then.

That's probably a rule just for the high school or youth league they're in.

I never noticed that the :toot:fair catch kick:toot: had to be made from the actual spot of the fair catch, not just the line. That's pretty cool.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

swickles posted:

Why doesn't a team draft a 7'2" high jumper whose sole job is a special team FG blocker?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like Margus Hunt.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I never noticed that the :toot:fair catch kick:toot: had to be made from the actual spot of the fair catch, not just the line. That's pretty cool.

Fortunately, they're now allowed to use a holder for the kick. Gouging a hole in Astroturf with their heel to mark the spot and tee the ball would be a little tough.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I'll be in New York next month, and am looking for a good pub place that will let me stay there all day Sunday watching the NFL while drinking beer and eating wings (or whatever it is that happens when you go out to watch sport in the USA). Any recommendations? We're staying just off Times Square.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Gambrinus posted:

I'll be in New York next month, and am looking for a good pub place that will let me stay there all day Sunday watching the NFL while drinking beer and eating wings (or whatever it is that happens when you go out to watch sport in the USA). Any recommendations? We're staying just off Times Square.

If there is a particular team or game you want to see I would recommend trying to find their bar in Manhattan. If you just wanna watch football look for places advertising the Direct TV package(usually a huge banner). I can't suggest a specific place, but you should have trouble finding a place like this on drat near every block.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ozu posted:

None. You can refuse to report like Richard Seymour did when he was traded to the Raiders, but eventually they realize they have no say in the matter and being paid is way more important.

Seymour didn't refuse to report. He just didn't say anything to the media for a few days while he was getting his poo poo together. There was a lot of speculation, but he ended up saying he'd won a Super Bowl, and had a great career. His kids were starting school, his family was settled in. It swept his legs out from under him, and he was going to make sure his family was taken care of first. But all the same, he was traded for on I think Thursday, and was playing on Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

drunk leprechaun posted:

If there is a particular team or game you want to see I would recommend trying to find their bar in Manhattan. If you just wanna watch football look for places advertising the Direct TV package(usually a huge banner). I can't suggest a specific place, but you should have trouble finding a place like this on drat near every block.

Green Bay or Minnesota, or both (haven't checked the fixture list for that weekend yet.

• Locked thread