Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

York_M_Chan posted:

Also, I am looking for structural advice on short 15-20 minute films. Short films always seem so kitchy or almost like a joke: quick set-up, punchline. My work is more character based, which lends itself to longer pieces. Anyone have any advice or even great short films to point me towards that exemplify character based short works?

I'd say your assessment is true for short films of 5 minutes or less, but then again those are sketches, and they're supposed to feel that way. I find that shorts in the 15-20 minute range are most often either very character-focused or mood/stylistic pieces, in both cases with a plot that's either non-existent or largely irrelevant. If you want to write a 20 minute character-based short that you can actually make, it's probably going to be a mix of talking scenes and visual metaphor. Just don't be boring.

It's not the best but it's at the top of mind, and sometimes a failure is better illustration than a success, so I'll reference it here: Joe Lynch's "Truth In Journalism" which is on YouTube. It clocks in at around 17 minutes (too long IMO) and there's barely any plot to speak of - it's literally about a film crew following around Eddie Brock, trying to get inside his head. Then at the end, he turns into Venom and kills them all. That might be an example of the sort of "punchline" moment you're pushing back against, but having a punchy memorable moment doesn't detract from your character study at all (unless it doesn't follow). Besides, you gotta end the fucker somehow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
Just got an email from the BBC Writersroom. My children's script has made it to the final stage, and I'll be considered for the writer's workshop. Most importantly, I'll be getting detailed feedback on my script once they've made their decision. I'm in shock, but obviously delighted!

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

York_M_Chan posted:

Also, I am looking for structural advice on short 15-20 minute films. Short films always seem so kitchy or almost like a joke: quick set-up, punchline. My work is more character based, which lends itself to longer pieces. Anyone have any advice or even great short films to point me towards that exemplify character based short works?

I think one of the most useful things I learned about short films (from a short film Oscar winning acquaintance of mine) is that short films need to do one thing and do it well. If too much is crammed in to a short film, it makes the film feel cluttered and the emotions feel cheap and unsatisfying. That's the most common problem I see with student work, everyone wants to make the next "Casablanca" or the next "Godfather" in 12 minutes. It just doesn't work.

That being said, a look at Oscar-winning or nominated short films isn't a bad place to start. They usually tend to be on the character study side of things.

From this past year, "Helium" (dir Anders Walter) was quite good. It won, although I personally enjoyed "Avant Que De Tout Perdre (Just Before I Lose Everything, dir Xavier Legrand) more. They're both character-driven, both deal with very dark subject matter, although one does so whimsically and the other in a realistic manner.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

SuBeCo posted:

Just got an email from the BBC Writersroom. My children's script has made it to the final stage, and I'll be considered for the writer's workshop. Most importantly, I'll be getting detailed feedback on my script once they've made their decision. I'm in shock, but obviously delighted!

Congrats!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

SuBeCo posted:

Fantastic! Keep us updated.

I made it past the first stage but not further. Still, that's within 13%, which is encouraging enough for me to keep it up.

My script was about a robot battle dog teaming up with a young girl to find out what it means to be human in the far flung future.

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005

PoshAlligator posted:

My script was about a robot battle dog teaming up with a young girl to find out what it means to be human in the far flung future.

:stare: I would watch that.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

SuBeCo posted:

:stare: I would watch that.

Yeah I know, the concept was nice and the script was fun in places but as a whole series my idea wasn't fleshed out enough, I can admit that. Sometimes series overview stuff can be the hardest.

I'm trying for a one shot for the Writer's Prize and SR8.

Give me a bell when you're famous though yeah and we can hash out a new robot dog thing? It goes without saying that the dog was full of sass.

e:
In all seriousness though if anyone aiming for the next Scriptroom or the Writer's Prize want to set a soft deadline where we can swap scripts I'd be up for that, and I'm sure AngstyFerrets would be too.

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 29, 2014

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Nah, I mean, I'll just steal your idea - although the BBC have almost certainly already done so. That's how it works, right? Any interest in swapping scripts/synopses? I had no idea how to do the synopsis and just kind of winged it. It'd be interesting to see someone else's take.

Edit: saw your edit. I mean swapping the kids' scripts from Scriptroom 7.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

SuBeCo posted:

Nah, I mean, I'll just steal your idea - although the BBC have almost certainly already done so. That's how it works, right? Any interest in swapping scripts/synopses? I had no idea how to do the synopsis and just kind of winged it. It'd be interesting to see someone else's take.

Edit: saw your edit. I mean swapping the kids' scripts from Scriptroom 7.

Great minds, man.

I'd be down, though I don't know what to do with the script now. Wild Seed or other places I guess. Hope you got PMs so I can shoot you some DB links.

Lucubrations
May 20, 2011
(Sorry if there are typos, writing from my tiny cellphone)

@poshalligator: I actually tried trawling twitter for awhile, but it's hard to see who is a good writer since I'm always never seeing a portfolio (or real name to imdb). I did discover some interesting trends, like how many male writers are mostly following female accounts. I think this is a male trait in general though :P.

I'll definitely email everyone that mentioned wanting to help when I'm back from vacation on Tuesday. If anyone is interested in sending their portfolio I'll take a look. I can't guarantee anything, but at least you know it is going to be read (or scanned if I get too many). Just PM me your email and I'll contact you from my workmail.

Not too comfortable with putting my company name but I'll write about some of our unique story problems and appeal in lieu of a job spec (which will probably give the company away)

We have a universe that already has over 100 characters and the writer's job is to find the unique appeal and feel of the next character and write a lot of short pieces to explore and flesh out their story, kind of like how a concept artist will go through many iterations before landing on the final look. You'll also work on promo pieces - some past stuff have been short animatics, song lyrics, poems, etc.

A lot of our characters, and worldbuilding in general, were originally written to be serviceable. Now that the game has blown up, the low quality of it is pretty glaring in comparison to newer content and since the worldbuilding was pretty rudimentary, it is holding is back from better storytelling. It is being fixed while the plane is in the air so to speak.

We have a huge, global, and passionate playerbase. Your work will have a ton of exposure; millions of players will read your work, and many many more will be interacting with the character you helped conceive.

Anyway, that's the associate and mid position. We are also looking for senior writers to work on secret projects :D.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Sounds awesome!

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Lucubrations posted:

(Sorry if there are typos, writing from my tiny cellphone)

@poshalligator: I actually tried trawling twitter for awhile, but it's hard to see who is a good writer since I'm always never seeing a portfolio (or real name to imdb). I did discover some interesting trends, like how many male writers are mostly following female accounts. I think this is a male trait in general though :P.

I'll definitely email everyone that mentioned wanting to help when I'm back from vacation on Tuesday. If anyone is interested in sending their portfolio I'll take a look. I can't guarantee anything, but at least you know it is going to be read (or scanned if I get too many). Just PM me your email and I'll contact you from my workmail.

Not too comfortable with putting my company name but I'll write about some of our unique story problems and appeal in lieu of a job spec (which will probably give the company away)

We have a universe that already has over 100 characters and the writer's job is to find the unique appeal and feel of the next character and write a lot of short pieces to explore and flesh out their story, kind of like how a concept artist will go through many iterations before landing on the final look. You'll also work on promo pieces - some past stuff have been short animatics, song lyrics, poems, etc.

A lot of our characters, and worldbuilding in general, were originally written to be serviceable. Now that the game has blown up, the low quality of it is pretty glaring in comparison to newer content and since the worldbuilding was pretty rudimentary, it is holding is back from better storytelling. It is being fixed while the plane is in the air so to speak.

We have a huge, global, and passionate playerbase. Your work will have a ton of exposure; millions of players will read your work, and many many more will be interacting with the character you helped conceive.

Anyway, that's the associate and mid position. We are also looking for senior writers to work on secret projects :D.

Sounds interesting, I'll PM you my details.

I'm not sure if that's true for my Twitter, but as a male I've always seemed to have more female friends. That could be because most subjects I've studied academically have typically had more female peers, or, as my girlfriend says, it might because I'm "nonthreatening". I don't really think about it.

e:
or just email me at (myusername) @ gmail

PoshAlligator fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 1, 2014

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005

I'm not seeing PMs enabled for your account, so would you mind emailing me at segconnolly at gmail dot com ? Cheers!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

As far as a portfolio I've got maybe one screenplay I can show you and it's not fantasy-oriented, so I don't know if you even want to bother. But I can't help but be curious. If you're willing to talk, shoot me an e-mail at "divisionpost -at- mac -dot- com" and let's see if we're a good fit.

Lucubrations
May 20, 2011
I'm a retard. Forgot that PMs are for platinum accounts only. I've been lurking for too long :/

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Make a temp email account so we can spam you with requests for work without encroaching on your person/professional life.

Lucubrations
May 20, 2011
Just made another gmail account: LucubrationsSA. No need to email if you already wrote your email in the thread though...

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Lucubrations posted:

Just made another gmail account: LucubrationsSA. No need to email if you already wrote your email in the thread though...

Just got the email and responded. Very informative about the position.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I'm struggling to go from prose to screenplay. If a few people could look over my script and give advice on what description elements to lose but still keep the atmosphere/perspective etc I would be grateful.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

I'm struggling to go from prose to screenplay. If a few people could look over my script and give advice on what description elements to lose but still keep the atmosphere/perspective etc I would be grateful.

I don't know how long it will take for me to read the whole thing but I can definitely scan it and give you some quick tips quote fast. I took a lot of scriptwriting classes and had issues myself going from prose to script so I probably know some things to look out for.

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Lethemonster posted:

I wouldn't mind giving it a look-over. Credentials: a BFA in the only industry left that doesn't require schooling.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I got my read over back from PoshAlligator and it was very helpful and polite. I know some people are concerned about getting things looked at that goons will be mean and snarky but he was just useful and thorough.

It's been good having other people to say what they do and don't need to read when I'm trying to pull out unnecessary detail.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

I got my read over back from PoshAlligator and it was very helpful and polite. I know some people are concerned about getting things looked at that goons will be mean and snarky but he was just useful and thorough.

It's been good having other people to say what they do and don't need to read when I'm trying to pull out unnecessary detail.

I'll give it a look-over if you still want more feedback. Feel free to PM me.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I am going to fix some really stupid errors first. I think I'll just get the same feedback otherwise. Then I will abuse people's good will for more!

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

Lethemonster posted:

Finding good people who will give constructive criticisms without being afraid to be honest are lifesavers. I send all my stuff to a couple people that I know will be brutally honest in tearing my work apart--not because they're mean, but because they want to help me make my story better.

The worst part of screenwriting classes or writer groups are the people who just say, "It's good," because they don't want to hurt my feelings or, "it's bad," because they get off on feeling superior.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Thank you, I am pretty great.

My scripts are not, however.

Committing to churning out a script just feels a lot harder for me to do than, say, whack out a prose short story. I guess a bad prose short story can be polished and used for something eventually without having to shop it around producers and enter it into competitions and such.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

PoshAlligator posted:

Thank you, I am pretty great.

My scripts are not, however.

Committing to churning out a script just feels a lot harder for me to do than, say, whack out a prose short story. I guess a bad prose short story can be polished and used for something eventually without having to shop it around producers and enter it into competitions and such.

A script, unlike almost any other art form, isn't a finished product. It's more a blueprint than a house.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

hotsoupdinner posted:

Finding good people who will give constructive criticisms without being afraid to be honest are lifesavers. I send all my stuff to a couple people that I know will be brutally honest in tearing my work apart--not because they're mean, but because they want to help me make my story better.

The worst part of screenwriting classes or writer groups are the people who just say, "It's good," because they don't want to hurt my feelings or, "it's bad," because they get off on feeling superior.

Before I went to law school I was a script reader. If you want feedback, I'm happy to read stuff.

surfwriter1
Oct 17, 2014

Cheers, all. First timer here.

Just gonna have to say yes, my username is pretty on the nose, but it's been my email address for over a decade and I'm a creature of habit so deal with it ...

... which is a HORRIBLE thing for a screenwriter to say. Dialogue should not be on the nose. Change it. You should never use flashbacks 'cause it's poor writing. You should never mention songs in your scripts. Less is more. A script only has 3 acts and for 120 pages (a script should be no less than 90 and no more than 120) the first act should end around page 30. Etc. Etc. [Insert more do's and don'ts from every screenwriting book ever written ...]

Like you, I've read all the books and wrote, scribbled, typed, cursed, rewrote, restructured, killed my babies, got drunk to break writer's block and ended up with a trainwreck hangover and nary a new word on the page. Then started all over again. It's what we do. As for the rules above, ever read a working screenwriter's screenplay? They break them all. IF you're a working screenwriter.

I'm not a working screenwriter, although I am working. Which is to say I'm technically a professional because I've been paid for it, however I have yet to get the monster paycheck that justifies quitting my day job. To date, I've had a couple scripts optioned and one script come THIS close to being greenlit, but the A-list director who wanted it was offered another film by some studio which should have done fantastic at the box office (it was a franchise film), but instead bombed and now the moneylenders wont trust him with $70 million to make my movie. $600k would have been mine for the purchase and then more for the initial rewrites. Poo. I'm currently adapting a book about motorcycles and Africa and suicide bombers for a new production company.

The above wasn't to boast (I have nothing to boast about ... I still have a day job!), but to lend some credibility to this statement: I might know something. William Goldman is famously quoted as saying that, "Nobody knows anything." Well, he's right considering the context. That was originally a comment he made regarding what stories would sell and what wouldn't. The craft of screenwriting, however, has a few guidelines. So, again, I might know something. Whatever it is that I know, hopefully I can pass it on to anyone who wants it! I like helping other writers from time to time.

So as my entrance into the legendary forums of SA, I'd like to offer my services if anyone has a script that needs an opinion. I was a judge in several competitions over the years, worked as a reader at one point, but mainly wrote, wrote, wrote. So I understand the struggle and self mutilation and try to give constructive criticism in a way that doesn't end in the writer kicking over a rickety stool. But I will be honest.

Hell. I may not be right ... but I'll be honest. Hopefully it will be equally helpful! *grin*

EDIT: I also love to gab about storytelling in general. I'm passionate about it, you might say. So if there's options that need to be explored in your own story, toss em into the room here and let's see if we can crack your script and tell it the best way.

surfwriter1 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 20, 2014

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Heard back on Scriptroom 7 - made the final cut, so I'll be heading off to chat with development sometime soon. Any tips for meeting with people who actually have a say in whether or not to give me work?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Don't sign poo poo without a lawyer, make sure to ask "What are you working on" after a good pitch.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Golden Bee posted:

...make sure to ask "What are you working on" after a good pitch.

I hate to ask a really loving stupid question, but what kind of answers should I want to hear? What answers are red flags?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

I hate to ask a really loving stupid question, but what kind of answers should I want to hear? What answers are red flags?

"We have a lot of interesting stuff" is bad. "We're kicking around a carebears reboot" is good. ["We don't even want you to read the old script!" is really bad; you're another person in the Dev Hell conga-line).

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

SuBeCo posted:

Heard back on Scriptroom 7 - made the final cut, so I'll be heading off to chat with development sometime soon. Any tips for meeting with people who actually have a say in whether or not to give me work?

Congratulations, you really deserve it!

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Sorry if this comes up a lot, but what do you guys think about The Blacklist? https://www.blcklst.com/about/

Even though it's got all of this heavy industry backing the pricing feels sort of scammish. Anyone have any experiences with it, good or bad?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

In theory, the pricing weeds out the people who aren't ready for it. If you want to submit to The Black List, it's in your best interest to have re-written, proof-read, re-written, re-written, and re-written.

It's probably the best and most well known reading service at the moment, and if you get a high score from your readers the potential exposure is highly valuable. But you've got to be ready, or you'll get a 6/10 and feel like you've wasted your money.

There have been some complaints about the quality of notes, but that seems like a vocal minority, and the company seems good about responding to feedback.

RowsdowerHotline
Nov 5, 2003
Forum Crackwhore
Anyone have any connections at UTA? Can be reached by PM as well to explain more. Thanks!

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lethemonster posted:

It's a good topic to talk about in general since I switch between script and prose quite frequently and while I found that prose writing bleeds into script writing, weirdly I don't find the opposite to be true.

I think the biggest danger is overwriting everything. The thing I found I was doing was adding too much to a character's description or a frame of mind. I don't feel like the dialogue really alters between the two because they seemed to serve the same function to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm curious about the BBC Writersroom competition. I've been learning a lot about screenwriting lately, and I think I have an idea I could enter with later in the year (or maybe next year). I certainly don't expect to get very far but it might be fun to try.

Does anyone know, however, how they feel about submissions that are sort of "part one of two" things? Do they only like complete stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

If they're going to read hundreds of entries, you should give him something full. The rest is presumption.

• Locked thread