Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MrNemo posted:

There's little or no reason to prepare Marines for art or culture,
Blood Angels fukkan love them some art. All about the painting and sculpting and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Imperial Fists too. They're all about the weird scrimshaw.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, do some chapter's internal rituals involve bees?

I would bee happy to answer that

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arquinsiel posted:

Blood Angels fukkan love them some art. All about the painting and sculpting and whatnot.

Yeah, Tycho goes insane after he gets his face hosed up because of the Blood Angels' obsession with aesthetics.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wait, do some chapter's internal rituals involve bees?

The Brotherhood of the 36 Chambers does, but they'll never reveal their secret.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

amuayse posted:

I always found it funny that whenever an Eldar Guardian gets killed by an Imperial Guardsmen, that's potentially thousands of years of art and culture gone to a single pewpew from a lasgun.

Imperium working as intended.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey guys i will go out today or Tomorrow and is there any Warhammer Fantasy or 40k novels i should get and which to avoid?

Not Warhammer related but is there any other series that isn't horror or romance related you would suggest i get into?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Sramaker posted:

Hey guys i will go out today or Tomorrow and is there any Warhammer Fantasy or 40k novels i should get and which to avoid?

Not Warhammer related but is there any other series that isn't horror or romance related you would suggest i get into?

Read Eisenhorn and than come back.

Are you familiar with the setting? Night Lords

Not familiar? Helsreach, The first trilogy of the Heresy, or Gaunts Ghosts.

Cant wrong with ADB or Abnett

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waroduce posted:

Read Eisenhorn and than come back.

Are you familiar with the setting? Night Lords

Not familiar? Helsreach, The first trilogy of the Heresy, or Gaunts Ghosts.

Cant wrong with ADB or Abnett

I have all of Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Ciaphas Cain, almost all Gaunt's Ghosts. Both Space Wolves Omnibus, Both Ultramarines Omnibus, The World Bearers Omnibus, Ahriman Exile, Both Sisters of Battle novels, the Honour Imperalis Omnibus, both Hammer and Bolter Omnibus, The Space Marines Omnibus, There is is Only War Omnibus, The Empire Omnibus, The Elves Omnibus and every printed Gotrek and Felix.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, there is a 10,000 year gap there as well - it wasn't an overnight change.

Oh I meant in abnett's depictions not the fluff so much

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Sramaker posted:

I have all of Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Ciaphas Cain, almost all Gaunt's Ghosts. Both Space Wolves Omnibus, Both Ultramarines Omnibus, The World Bearers Omnibus, Ahriman Exile, Both Sisters of Battle novels, the Honour Imperalis Omnibus, both Hammer and Bolter Omnibus, The Space Marines Omnibus, There is is Only War Omnibus, The Empire Omnibus, The Elves Omnibus and every printed Gotrek and Felix.

Night Lords make it happen

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Sramaker posted:

Brothers of the Snake, Ravenor vs. Eisenhorn, Night Lords Trilogy, The Emeperor's Gift(My personal favorite), and Helsreach.

Honestly, this poo poo will be fantastic for you since you clearly have suffered through some awful poo poo that I refuse to read. I'm an Ultramarines fan, but I quit that stuff after The Killing Ground, just a really poor series. I need more Abnett writing Ultramarines.

Horus Heresy:
Horus Rising
False Gods
Fulgrim
Legion
The First Heretic
Prospero Burns
Know No Fear
Betrayer

If you read all these just come here and ask us to fill in the details instead of slogging through all that mediocre crap in between.

OR READ THE OP!!!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Can Konrad actually turn into smoky shadows?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

vigorous sodomy posted:

I figured his stealth powers are pretty much supernatural at this point...so why not? Lights and poo poo go out when he is around, and sensors malfunction.

P.S. - Your avatar makes me laugh everytime I see it...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Konrad is functionally Batman at his most ludicrously written, only Konrad actually does canonically have psychic powers and is a super-supersoldier.

Wouldn't be the first time a primarch's been suggested to be just a thin corporeal mask over a powerful warp presence...

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

quote:

Wouldn't be the first time a primarch's been suggested to be just a thin corporeal mask over a powerful warp presence...

I've long just accepted that this is what they are.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*

vigorous sodomy posted:

I just tell myself that because he can see into the future, he is able to stand where he knows everyone is not looking. Yeah, that's it.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Elrond Hubbard posted:

I just tell myself that because he can see into the future, he is able to stand where he knows everyone is not looking. Yeah, that's it.

Dan Abnett went full comic book with Konrad

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I've probably read Brothers of the Snake over fifty times.

I've also read Fall of Reach a bunch, and it's major drawbacks are definitely that it predates most of the Halo 'lore' being filled out (I'll admit I stopped keeping up with the books but it seems like it has become cumbersome as gently caress) and that we later find out 'no, what happened on Reach was really this' out of nowhere.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Konrad is functionally Batman at his most ludicrously written, only Konrad actually does canonically have psychic powers and is a super-supersoldier.

I always heard it described as Konrad is both Batman and the Joker. Speaking of Konrad's warp powers, I always remember some minor piece of fluff that his prophecy powers weren't warp based, but something in his genes, which is why Talos inherited them because his gene-seed was way too potent and a child raised with said gene-seed implanted as early as possible would be the savior of the legion for reasons.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

pentyne posted:

I always heard it described as Konrad is both Batman and the Joker. Speaking of Konrad's warp powers, I always remember some minor piece of fluff that his prophecy powers weren't warp based, but something in his genes, which is why Talos inherited them because his gene-seed was way too potent and a child raised with said gene-seed implanted as early as possible would be the savior of the legion for reasons.

Psychic power is the genetic ability to use the warp, so it's both.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Thulsa Doom posted:

The Alpha Legion are basically devotees of that one Chaos God that's like a fifth Chaos God of Chaos working against itself, but they can't straight up call them that or reference that entity because GW doesn't actually own it.

Mal'al

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

pentyne posted:

No there was some fuckery where his implant is super psychic or something, but Talos is genetically incompatible and it's wrecking his body. It would function and be an incredible asset in a compatible individual.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

What? Alpha Legion is Chaos Undivided, with a heavy leaning toward Tzeentch.

Malal was briefly mentioned back in the times of WFRP 1st edition and never since - he's not canon anymore.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Malal was briefly mentioned back in the times of WFRP 1st edition and never since - he's not canon anymore.

Somebody forgot to tell the Sons of Malice, then.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is Andy Hoare a decent writer?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's what they want you to think

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I always thought Alpha Legion were pretty clearly in Tzeentch's camp, representing the aspect that isn't sorcery.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ostensibly, they're undivided, but yeah - with the crazy long cons they have going on, there is definitely a Tzeentch influence.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I thought alpha legion was a wild card? Like a large part of the legion are seemingly with chaos, but a minority may or may not be loyal, or pursuing their own agenda independent of the imperium and chaos

E: or is that a horus heresy thing added recently?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The gist of the Alpha Legion, from what I can tell, is that they're so wrapped up in cons that they've ceased to have an overall goal beyond plotting for plotting's sake. It doesn't matter whether they think they're loyal or not, because they're part of Chaos. They may think they're still aiding the Imperium, but who has any idea if their schemes actually help or not. They're victims of their own addiction to plotting and proving they're the most clever guy in the room.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I wonder if there are any Alpha Legion warbands that have been in deep cover for so long that they've looped around and forgotten that they're Alpha Legion but instead think that they're legit Imperial Space Marines.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Not Warhammer related: Are the Legend of Drizzt novels worth buying? I have decided to make my own opinion of him (Drizzt) after i realized the only reason i hated him was from what i heard of him. Besides i could get to like one of the other characters.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I liked the earlier books but I found the later books just start to drop in quality.

It's been a while I read them however but I found the books from Orc King onwards to be a real mess

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

PantsOptional posted:

I wonder if there are any Alpha Legion warbands that have been in deep cover for so long that they've looped around and forgotten that they're Alpha Legion but instead think that they're legit Imperial Space Marines.

Then would it matter? If they've been pretending to be Ultramarines for so long that they think they are Ultramarines, then they're just Ultramarines...

Waroduce posted:

I thought alpha legion was a wild card? Like a large part of the legion are seemingly with chaos, but a minority may or may not be loyal, or pursuing their own agenda independent of the imperium and chaos

E: or is that a horus heresy thing added recently?
Alpha Legion has always been a Chaos Legion associated with stealth and special ops, but yes, the "are they/aren't they" aspect is relatively new with the HH books. That's why Legion was an amazing book when it came out - you learned of the "holy poo poo, they may actually be on the side of the Imperium! Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!" And, of course, BL has done absolutely nothing with that since.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They've done a little bit. It's hinted that there's going to be a split in the Alpha Legion, similar to the Dark Angels, where Alpharius's half sides with Horus, and Omegon's half sides with Humanity. Eventually Omegon joins up with Garro's boys and becomes Janus, the first Supreme Grand Master of the Grey Knights.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think I read somewhere a summary of an upcoming HH anthology and I think one of the short stories is about a bunch of Space Wolves being angry they're sent to watch Dorn? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I think I read somewhere a summary of an upcoming HH anthology and I think one of the short stories is about a bunch of Space Wolves being angry they're sent to watch Dorn? Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It crops up in Unremembered Empire. The Space Wolves have taken it upon themselves to start policing the supposedly loyal Legions and Primarchs just in case they're not as loyal as they seem.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Talon of Horus ebook and audiobook available now.

$25 and $50 respectively.

Dammit, I'd be a lot more comfortable shelling out $25 if I knew ADB was getting a huge chunk of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cythereal posted:

It crops up in Unremembered Empire. The Space Wolves have taken it upon themselves to start policing the supposedly loyal Legions and Primarchs just in case they're not as loyal as they seem.

Not so much taken upon themselves as filling the role they (and possibly the World Eaters) were designed to do in the first place.