Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How much of the advertised space is taken up by iOS in an iPhone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

How much of the advertised space is taken up by iOS in an iPhone?
<2GB

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I don't think those things even exist anymore. You're just supposed to use a needle/toothpick/whatever.

Apple store employees have one stashed in their little badges they wear.. solution, get hired at an Apple store, get your sim card remover, then quit.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

sleepness posted:

Is there a consensus on the better general swiping keyboard? I've been excited for this for a long time but now I feel over-inundated with options!

I'm using SwiftKey and can attest to it's awesomeness. In fact this post was made using it, hopefully there are minor errors.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

fordan posted:

Did the 6 not come with a SIM extractor tool? Picked up my iPhone 6 Verizon phone from the Apple Store, still in shrink wrap, and I can't find the tool in the box anywhere.

I believe they only ship those with carrier-free models. Just use a paper clip.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fordan posted:

Did the 6 not come with a SIM extractor tool? Picked up my iPhone 6 Verizon phone from the Apple Store, still in shrink wrap, and I can't find the tool in the box anywhere.
They stopped shipping as of the 3GS, possible the 3G even.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

aBagorn posted:

I'm using SwiftKey and can attest to it's awesomeness. In fact this post was made using it, hopefully there are minor errors.

I'm also suggesting SwiftKey. Not only have I gotten better at using it but apparently it learns your typing style and diction and gets better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was using SwiftKey for the past like 2 days and while it helped me type faster in some cases, it also didn't seem to learn how I typed at all and gave me lots of errors. So now I'm just using the stock keyboard again until I find a better alternative.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Also n-thing SwiftKey. My only gripe is that I wish there was a gesture or an easy way to auto-delete the last word because it's not 100% perfect (but I'm definitely getting better at it).

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was using SwiftKey for the past like 2 days and while it helped me type faster in some cases, it also didn't seem to learn how I typed at all and gave me lots of errors. So now I'm just using the stock keyboard again until I find a better alternative.

Did you let it scan your email/Facebook to learn your style? That helps a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was about to say that can't be right because I have one that came with my 5s, but no, it came with my iPad Air.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ScarletBrother posted:

Did you let it scan your email/Facebook to learn your style? That helps a lot.
Yeah, Gmail and Facebook. Tried hooking it up to my Twitter too and that didn't seem to work.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Yeah, Gmail and Facebook. Tried hooking it up to my Twitter too and that didn't seem to work.

All I can say is give it a little more time. I've used it on Android since it came out there and I wouldn't even consider using another keyboard now. It learns pretty quick, and I think you can change the word deletion in settings.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Has anyone found a case for the 6 that they actually like? I had a Spigen Slim Armor on my 5S that I absolutely loved but the Slim Armor for the 6 has a giant cutout in the back I didn't like. I ended up getting the Spigen Neo Hybrid case and it is AWFUL. Buttons are hard, it doesn't protect the phone much at all and the front mainly "holds" the phone, it doesn't overlap the bezel.

I also got the tech armor glass screen protector which I'm disappointed in as well. It covers the screen, but not even remotely covers the bezel. I realize that it curves so it would be hard to cover but at least SOME coverage would be nice. Has anyone tried the ZAGG glass screen protector? Does it cover more?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Has anyone found a case for the 6 that they actually like? I had a Spigen Slim Armor on my 5S that I absolutely loved but the Slim Armor for the 6 has a giant cutout in the back I didn't like. I ended up getting the Spigen Neo Hybrid case and it is AWFUL. Buttons are hard, it doesn't protect the phone much at all and the front mainly "holds" the phone, it doesn't overlap the bezel.

I also got the tech armor glass screen protector which I'm disappointed in as well. It covers the screen, but not even remotely covers the bezel. I realize that it curves so it would be hard to cover but at least SOME coverage would be nice. Has anyone tried the ZAGG glass screen protector? Does it cover more?

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M54LGBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My phone hasn't arrived yet, but the actual case-in-hand feels pretty good. Lightweight, thin, and under 10 bucks. It'll probably fall apart in 6 months, but for a basic filler until the market rounds out, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

It reminds me a lot of the Poetic Atmosphere that were pretty well recommended here for the 5.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vegastar posted:

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M54LGBQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My phone hasn't arrived yet, but the actual case-in-hand feels pretty good. Lightweight, thin, and under 10 bucks. It'll probably fall apart in 6 months, but for a basic filler until the market rounds out, I doubt I'll be disappointed.

It reminds me a lot of the Poetic Atmosphere that were pretty well recommended here for the 5.

That looks a lot like a poetic atmosphere so I'll probably consider ordering that.

Also trying to download apps right now is hilarious.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Unh Jesus loving Christ this thing feels amazing in my hand without a case. The case I bought feels really spongy on the power button (maybe a last minute redesign on the phone after Spigen has made their cases?) so I'm really close to just going nude for a while on it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not nearly as wide as I expected. The aspect ratio of the actual phone is basically exactly the same as the 5. Really tall and skinny.

EDIT: The upper and lower bezels do look a bit goofy when the screen is on though. Seems like they could have been a bit shorter. Feels good to hold though.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 19, 2014

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Can anyone comment on the quality of the leather case compared to the one that came out with the 5s? I like the way they look, but it was entertaining last year when so many people were confusing "a patina" with layers of grime from their sweaty goonhooks.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

How are you typing? Are you looking at the keyboard? Because you should only focus on the predictions. It will correct your typos no problem, don't even worry about that. Just look at the predictions and hit space to choose the middle one, which should be correct 99% of the time. It takes a little getting used to, but you have to just trust that it'll make the right choice for you, and if it's not doing that yet, you can tap the right prediction and it'll learn for next time. If it's not suggesting the right word, write it and then tap it when it shows up on the predictions. It'll learn it. It knows my email address because I taught it that way.

I've been using it for years and Swiftkey Cloud already had all my data from Android, so I can text and write short emails just by hitting a letter or two and then space.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Anya posted:

I still have songs/albums on my phone that I can't delete, even after updating to ios8. This has now been going on for a year. Wtf Apple.

However, I like Hey Siri and 8 is doing well on my 5s. Very snappy.

When you restore does it clear?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

lelandjs posted:

You can disable it by going into the clock app. Also it might appear under the missed notifications (the last iPhone I owned didn't have the notification center, so).

The timer page in the clock app didn't have a stop button and there was nothing in the notification center.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm a bit concerned about the durability of the new iPhones. I've had my Galaxy Note since it came out, and it has had its fair share of drops. Apart for a few scuff marks and chipping though, the screen has never been damaged.

I'm guessing the aluminium body won't be as shock absorbent as the plastic of the Note, right?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
So is the whole iCloud photo backup thing just plain not working at all right now or what? I can't tell if my photos were uploaded or not because photostream is gone. Am I missing something?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

the kawaiiest posted:

So is the whole iCloud photo backup thing just plain not working at all right now or what? I can't tell if my photos were uploaded or not because photostream is gone. Am I missing something?

Your photos, apparently.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
iCloud Photo Library isn't active yet. When it is, there will be a switch to enable it.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The new photos app is a step back for the 5 at least. I want to use my iPhone to look at my photos when I browse them. I want the old thumbnail size back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wengy posted:

I kind of do, but it probably wouldn't be a huge catastrophe if I didn't have them on the phone (they're all backed up into iPhoto). I'm intrigued by this new iCloud photo library thing, but apparently it's not coming just yet.

They won't automatically sync over, however when looking at your phone in itunes, if you click "photos" you should have the option to bring them over.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
64 gb space grey iPhone 6 picked up. Even bought a red leather case to have a bright phone like my development win phone.

The line in okc Apple Store was ridiculous for non reserved purchases. It took me five minutes, I bet it takes them most of the day to get through the line.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any impressions of the 2 cases Is the Leather "thicker/heavier" than the silicone?

Is the Silicone soft and rubbery or like hard plastic?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dirk Pitt posted:

64 gb space grey iPhone 6 picked up. Even bought a red leather case to have a bright phone like my development win phone.

The line in okc Apple Store was ridiculous for non reserved purchases. It took me five minutes, I bet it takes them most of the day to get through the line.

I'm going to pop into the Apple Store to get a red case tomorrow after class. Glad I'm not the only one who likes a bright phone :buddy:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Anyone else using Fleksy for the keyboard? Feels like the stock but augmented, and I realized I hated being limited in various ways by the swipe style keyboards. Also I think this is the year I say gently caress off to a case and just get Apple Care. Very exciting time to be alive and breathing in this wide world.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I played with the iPhone 6 at store and it's just too big.

Sure, it's a cool phone but I can't comfortably reach the top row of buttons with just one hand. The second row is acceptable but if throw a case into the mix then it's complicated. It also just feels a little fragile compared to the 5 given how it's so thin and weighs next to nothing.

They should have left the size of the iPhone 5 alone or maybe a tad bigger and then put out their phabelt model but I guess the days of one-handed phones are dead. Steve Jobs is undoubtedly rolling in his grave.

Lrigwoc
Aug 16, 2007
Reverse

Tab8715 posted:

Steve Jobs is undoubtedly rolling in his grave.

Stop.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I had Fleksy going for a couple of days on my Nexus 5, I found the auto corrections were really bad if you happened to type the wrong number of letters. Like if you "type "weeird" it would offer "we ride" instead of "weird." (not an actual example)

Edit: Big phone is a trade off, the market has spoken and most people seem to prefer a larger phone vs. easy one hand access. I would not be surprised if Apple released an under-powered iPhone Mini in the future to placate the one-handers though.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

DarkJC posted:

iCloud Photo Library isn't active yet. When it is, there will be a switch to enable it.
Right but I thought there would still be photo backups, or at least something like the old photostream, in the meantime...

fleshweasel posted:

The new photos app is a step back for the 5 at least. I want to use my iPhone to look at my photos when I browse them. I want the old thumbnail size back.
Yeah it's really awful. The whole "moments" thing is terrible. Also for some reason one photo from July is showing up, clearly from iCloud because that photo was deleted two months ago, but it's showing no photos from August. Oh and it created an album that it says it's "from my Mac" but the photos are not on my Mac at all and were deleted weeks ago. I can't delete the album or the photos off my phone.

I mean, I have all my photos backed up so I haven't lost anything but what the hell is going on with photos.app :psyduck:

And boy is iOS 8 buggy

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Found the VoLTE option:

Surprised it's not on by default.

edit: Let's see if it even works!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 19, 2014

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm assuming if I don't have the option it means my carrier doesn't support it.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

the kawaiiest posted:

And boy is iOS 8 buggy

I think that happens for the first hours/day that you restore a backup. iOS is doing all sorts of one time poo poo like indexing everything on the phone so stuff like this happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

the kawaiiest posted:

Right but I thought there would still be photo backups, or at least something like the old photostream, in the meantime...

It looks like Photostream still exists, there just isn't an interface to it because with iCloud Photo Library, there is no distinction between your camera roll and the cloud. Photos I've taken on iOS 8 are showing up on my Mac still. Without adjustments... guess that is still waiting on that new photo app.