Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

Was that really ever an iOS behavior?

Yes. With a normal passcode you were always able to select how often to be prompted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just totally forget the world before touchID. Unsurprising.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It really was. I guess touchID makes it pointless I should just get used to it!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So if I didn't pre-order and I didn't line up, about how long is it going to be until I can walk into an Apple store and walk out with an iPhone 6 of my choosing?

Edit: I know no one can know for sure, but I mean typically how long?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

prom candy posted:

So if I didn't pre-order and I didn't line up, about how long is it going to be until I can walk into an Apple store and walk out with an iPhone 6 of my choosing?

Not a six plus? What town are you in? I would try today. I've always walked in mid day on launch day after the dust settled and got the phone I wanted.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Diabolik900 posted:

Yes. With a normal passcode you were always able to select how often to be prompted.

teacup posted:

It really was. I guess touchID makes it pointless I should just get used to it!
No it loving wasn't :stare:

Huh, I guess I never tried to do that with any of the pre-5S iPhones I had.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

prom candy posted:

Edit: I know no one can know for sure, but I mean typically how long?

I got a white 32 last year and wanted to exchange it for a black. I had 30 days to do so through Apple and 45 through AT&T. I never got a black 32.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
AT&T: They've got one demo 6+ which is all I really cared about. I didn't expect to get a phone today but wanted to see both sizes before buying anything :shrug:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

benisntfunny posted:

Not a six plus? What town are you in? I would try today. I've always walked in mid day on launch day after the dust settled and got the phone I wanted.

I'm in Hamilton, Ontario. It's a bit of a trek to get out to the Apple Store. I see that the the local Future Shops have a lot of stock but it looks like they only sell on-contract, I want an unlocked phone.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

Choadmaster posted:

Exactly; it's thin, it's slick, and it gets pulled in and out of my pocket dozens of times per day. poo poo's gonna happen. Since the 5/5s design I've been going case less without issue, because the metal ring takes the impact 99% of the time. The 4/4s was terrible - not only was the back also glass, but the glass protruded much further away from the edge ring making a corner-hit an easy shatter. Returning to corner-hits-can-hit-glass is a terrible design move.

Obviously if I get a 6 I'll have to get a case. But I don't have to be happy about it. :arghfist:
I've been using a 4S since it launched without a case and it's still in good enough shape to get the $200 trade-in deal. I've probably dropped it on hard surfaces at least 15 times. I realize I've just been lucky though. Before this I had a 3GS for 2 years and broke the screen twice. I found an iPhone 6 display model in a Target the other day and I'm definitely going to get a case this time. The edges are just so slick and thin I feel it will be incredibly easy to drop, and the camera bulge is more substantial in person than it looked in pictures to me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

teacup posted:

I just upped from a 5 to a 6, loving it so far.

I really dig the thumbprint activation although it seems to require it every single time. I liked having to activate it then for like, 30 seconds could turn it off then on and you wouldn't need it again. I can't do that with the print activation?

You get used to it after a while. I mean if you wake the phone with the home button, simply resting your finger on it will unlock the phone.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
:siren: cops are on the way cause some loving rear end in a top hat left his baby locked in the car while he's waiting in line :laffo:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

beanieson posted:

:siren: cops are on the way cause some loving rear end in a top hat left his baby locked in the car while he's waiting in line :laffo:

So what's it like living in Florida?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

beanieson posted:

I saw some dogs in cars with the windows cracked, but it's also perfect weather here, and there were people with them at pretty much all times. It's like a little trip for them!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

lelandjs posted:

So what's it like living in Florida?

Louisiana :eng101:

e: it's terrible

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

beanieson posted:

Louisiana :eng101:

e: it's terrible
I can attest to that. Living in Louisiana is loving awful and something like that happening here really doesn't surprise me at all.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

bronin posted:

I noticed something on iOS concerning auto brightness. Back in iOS 7 I calibrated auto brightness like you're supposed to. Go to a dark room, set the brightness to the lowest setting and then turn auto brightness on. That way you would have the lowest setting in a dark room, the highest setting in bright sunlight and according settings for everything in between.

On iOS 8 I noticed that it won't go all the way to the right side even in direct sunlight. Can anyone confirm this?

I just set the slider manually all the way to the right side in direct sunlight and it seems to remember that now but it's weird nonetheless.

Maybe a hidden way to increase battery life.

Auto brightness doesn't need to be calibrated like that. Basically, here's how it works:

1. Turn on auto brightness.
2. If the screen ever feels too dark or too bright when you're looking at it, adjust the brightness. Auto brightness will remember your preferences in those lighting conditions.

As you make manual adjustments (like you did in direct sunlight) you'll have to adjust it less and less, until it knows your preferences for all lighting conditions.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

:lol: everybody booed this dude as he did the walk of shame out of the store to get his stupid kid

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
That poor kid, Jesus Christ

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Restoring my iPhone 5 backup to my 6 and now iTunes displays "ShoogaSlim's iPhone 5" twice.... weird

e: nvm just unplugged it, changed the name in settings, plugged it back in and all good.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
Going to walk into a carrier store later today. We'll see what happens.

And drat that's shameful. You'd think they'd have a higher priority for their kid's wellbeing than a fuckin' phone.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Glasgow Kiss posted:

Going to walk into a carrier store later today. We'll see what happens.

And drat that's shameful. You'd think they'd have a higher priority for their kid's wellbeing than a fuckin' phone.
Capitalism, brah. Ain't nothing more communist than a mooching baby. :patriot:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

I really dig the thumbprint activation although it seems to require it every single time. I liked having to activate it then for like, 30 seconds could turn it off then on and you wouldn't need it again. I can't do that with the print activation?

Requiring authentification 100% of the time is kind of the whole point of TouchID. Give it a few days and clicking the home button then holding your thumb on it for a second will become 2nd nature. Next time you have to swipe to unlock a non-TouchID device, even without a passcode, it will feel like a lot of work.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Waited in line for 2 hours. They ran out of 6 Plus's with 5 people in front of me.

At least I got 2 free donuts.....:(

They had tons of 6's, but I ended up leaving.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
This gold color ended up nothing like I imagined… it looks really nice. And the gold ring around the home button is snazzy as gently caress!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm sitting in Apple's business room and the 6 plus doesn't feel as big as I thought it would.

Would still never buy it, it peeks out of my pocket.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
I do quite enjoy the new 240fps slow-mo mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iAMJrkrS1c

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Got the "We've got some great news for you. Your items will be ready for pickup on Sep 19." Email last night. Am I waiting on another one saying "your phone is ready today come get it" or should I go up to the store now?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

loving Christ, I got my 6 and it's so nice. It's super thin and the display seems really huge and clear. The Sleep/Wake button being on the right instead of the top is gonna take some getting used to.

I'm glad I didn't get the 6+ because this thing looks big enough to me, to be honest. This is the biggest phone I've ever owned and it's a noticeable step up from my 5S for sure.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

xian posted:

Got the "We've got some great news for you. Your items will be ready for pickup on Sep 19." Email last night. Am I waiting on another one saying "your phone is ready today come get it" or should I go up to the store now?
Please take all preordering and day one hunting to the correct thread and leave this to device chat.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yesterday night I set a timer for my laundry, then when it went off I picked up the phone and unlocked it without hitting the button on the screen to stop the alarm. It unlocked but the alarm continued and there was no way to turn it off. Luckily it stops sounding automatically after a few minutes.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
my bad. Will do

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

withak posted:

Yesterday night I set a timer for my laundry, then when it went off I picked up the phone and unlocked it without hitting the button on the screen to stop the alarm. It unlocked but the alarm continued and there was no way to turn it off. Luckily it stops sounding automatically after a few minutes.

You can disable it by going into the clock app. Also it might appear under the missed notifications (the last iPhone I owned didn't have the notification center, so).

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Man they need some app updates for the 6+. Some of this stuff looks like a fisher price keyboard with how comically huge it looks

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
(Cross posted from the apps thread)

Automation/IFTTT question:

We have a daily 8:30am Webex meeting for work, I usually connect via the Webex app and have it call me, and then I listen during my drive to work.

I'm trying to find a way to have the Webex meeting call me automatically every morning with no initiation on my end. I can't really figure out a way to do this in IFTTT yet.

I have a feeling if I could automate IFTTT (or whatever) to launch the Webex meeting URL, iOS would open the URL via the Webex app and it would call me.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm on o2 in the UK (:() and have recieved my new iPhone 6. Previously on an iPhone 5. Got both devices here. 5 still has signal (can phone out etc), 6 doesn't. I've put the new SIM in my iPhone 6... How do I change my 6 to the one that has a signal?

edit, forge it, just switched the SIMs. An idiot, I am.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

e: whoops, wrong thread

Something interesting to note: on my 5S, VSCO Cam appeared to run faster than the stock camera app. On the 6 it runs a looooooooot slower. Probably just hasn't been updated for the 6 yet?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 19, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Did the 6 not come with a SIM extractor tool? Picked up my iPhone 6 Verizon phone from the Apple Store, still in shrink wrap, and I can't find the tool in the box anywhere.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

fordan posted:

Did the 6 not come with a SIM extractor tool? Picked up my iPhone 6 Verizon phone from the Apple Store, still in shrink wrap, and I can't find the tool in the box anywhere.
I don't think those things even exist anymore. You're just supposed to use a needle/toothpick/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Is there a consensus on the better general swiping keyboard? I've been excited for this for a long time but now I feel over-inundated with options!