Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

iForge posted:

You have been asking this same question since July and the answer is still the same. Use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut most of the way through the bracket and then bend it out of the way. Have someone hold the mirror while you do this. Take your time.

I thought it was agreed in early-aug that the easiest option would be to put on a pair of eye protection and hit the bastard with a wrecking bar.

You've spent longer planning this job than they took to plan the Normandy Landings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

spog posted:

I thought it was agreed in early-aug that the easiest option would be to put on a pair of eye protection and hit the bastard with a wrecking bar.

You've spent longer planning this job than they took to plan the Normandy Landings.

Don't procrastination-shame.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

melon cat posted:

I'm cutting this metal bracket that's on my bathroom mirror:

The builder of this house, in all of their wisdom, built everything in such a way that it can't be remodeled easily. The brackets don't have a spring that releases the mirror. And the mirror won't slide out through the side. I considered just smashing the mirror, but that'd be a bit too messy for my liking.

Would a Dremel be most appropriate, or would an angle grinder be better?

Go get one of these... make a big X on the mirror and take it out in 4 pieces. This is a 5 minute job.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-5-in-Glass-Cutter-in-Red-8501/100169741

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Took the motor control box apart but could not find anything out of the ordinary. Figured maybe someone would find it interesting to see an old european motor and how it's hooked up.

The three phases are connected from what I've looked up to be the correct way for 380/400V operation. Earth is connected to the engine casing it seems like. Neutral is not used.

The plug:

The symbols on the plug are L1, L2, L3, N och PE. N is disabled (there's no place to connect it on the motor, I asked and this seems normal). Still runs for about 10 seconds when cold, then trips the fuse. Weird...

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

melon cat posted:

Yeah... I might've forgotten which DIY forums I did (and didn't) already post this question in. :blush:

Welp. Angle grinder it is, then. Thanks.

At the very least you should wear safety glasses when doing this. I recommend picking up a full face shield and wearing it whenever you use the grinder. Metal in your eyes is NOT fun, and I know this from personal experience. They numb your eye with drops then dig it out with a needle, and sometimes have to cut into the surface of your eye to get to it. The person holding the mirror while you cut should be wearing safety glasses, gloves, and long sleeves in case the mirror breaks, blood is harder to clean up than broken glass.

This woman is delighted to be protecting her eyes, you will be too.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
dremel now makes metal cutoff wheels that don't shatter if you look at them crossed and actually do a decent job. They're basically just the same cutoff disks you'd use in an angle grinder but at quarter-scale. I used one to cut up an old table saw blade and it didn't even shatter once, although it was basically used up by the time I was done.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

melon cat posted:

I'm cutting this metal bracket that's on my bathroom mirror:

The builder of this house, in all of their wisdom, built everything in such a way that it can't be remodeled easily. The brackets don't have a spring that releases the mirror. And the mirror won't slide out through the side. I considered just smashing the mirror, but that'd be a bit too messy for my liking.

Would a Dremel be most appropriate, or would an angle grinder be better?

I'd be damned near surprised if the upper mount wasn't spring loaded. Had that exact same bracket in my old house... lift the mirror up and lift it out of the lower bracket. If the top one is rusted just as bad, probably some added friction up there making it seem like a solid mount.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

rotor posted:

dremel now makes metal cutoff wheels that don't shatter if you look at them crossed and actually do a decent job. They're basically just the same cutoff disks you'd use in an angle grinder but at quarter-scale. I used one to cut up an old table saw blade and it didn't even shatter once, although it was basically used up by the time I was done.

Yea but then he's going to miss out on the experience of not wearing glasses, having a shard of metal fly out and blast him in the cheek, and then running and getting a pair of glasses.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sylink posted:

Im in the market for a 6" jointer, planer (not a huge one) and a miter saw.

Can anyone recommend me safe brands (or even just what to avoid) particularly for the jointer and planer? I'm not as concerned about the saw but I really need the other two to be solid.

I see tons of those cheap DeWalt planers around, are they ok? This is going to be for woodworking and not rough contracting type of work.

Jointer: Older Delta, Jet, Grizzly, Powermatic.
Planer: Dewalt DW735, Older Delta, Jet, Grizzly, Older Makita, Powermatic
Miter saw: Makita or Dewalt.

There are cheaper versions of all of these, but it's not worth wasting your time on. Buying used will save you quite a bit and usually they just need a new set of knives or a blade.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

the spyder posted:

There are cheaper versions of all of these, but it's not worth wasting your time on. Buying used will save you quite a bit and usually they just need a new set of knives or a blade.

This may be a dumb suggestion but I'm a huge fan of the 140$ (on sale) miter saw @ Harbor Freight. 12" double bevel sliding. It's cheap in all the right places it seems and I've had a lot of good luck with it. The one flaw folks gripe about is that the laser is only powered when the blade is on, but theres's a mod you can do to fix that.

I'm a newbie woodworker but this came square out of the box and for 140$ with the features present on very expensive miter saws, I'm pleased. Came with extra motor bushings too (like I'll need those!)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

the spyder posted:

Thanks for the replies on this guys, these are the brands I was checking out anyway so thats great to know.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

dhrusis posted:

This may be a dumb suggestion but I'm a huge fan of the 140$ (on sale) miter saw @ Harbor Freight. 12" double bevel sliding. It's cheap in all the right places it seems and I've had a lot of good luck with it. The one flaw folks gripe about is that the laser is only powered when the blade is on, but theres's a mod you can do to fix that.

I'm a newbie woodworker but this came square out of the box and for 140$ with the features present on very expensive miter saws, I'm pleased. Came with extra motor bushings too (like I'll need those!)

Huh. I just saw that in an ad and was wondering about it. Cool. Thanks. Any excuse to go to HF is a good one.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

dhrusis posted:

Would be good to start a list of HF stuff that's actually worth getting. I bet it would be a pretty decent size list.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's going to cause a dozen pages of argument.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

iForge posted:

You have been asking this same question since July and the answer is still the same. Use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut most of the way through the bracket and then bend it out of the way. Have someone hold the mirror while you do this. Take your time.

From that picture, an angle grinder seems like massive overkill? Like it would be incredibly easy to make things far worse, especially if the OP hasn't quite developed a deft touch. I see no problem with a Dremel or even a hacksaw blade to score the metal until it can be bent or broken. That said, if I was to use a grinder, I would use a standard grinding wheel and take material off of the outside of the corner of the bracket until it could be bent out of the way, rather than trying to slot it. Or just slide a pry bar behind the bracket and yank it out of the wall.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

It's going to cause a dozen pages of argument.

Exactly

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

use a demo bar and go in from the room behind it

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

dietcokefiend posted:

I'd be damned near surprised if the upper mount wasn't spring loaded. Had that exact same bracket in my old house... lift the mirror up and lift it out of the lower bracket. If the top one is rusted just as bad, probably some added friction up there making it seem like a solid mount.
I've triple-checked, and I know exactly what you're talking about. But it isn't spring-loaded. This townhouse was built in a very cheap, mass-produced fashion and I wouldn't mind smacking the builder for their design decisions. For example, in order to get behind the washer dryer you need to remove the water heater.

Yep.

Splizwarf posted:

use a demo bar and go in from the room behind it
The room behind it is a garage, and directly behind it is a subwall that is shared with our townhouse neighbour. :suicide:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 18, 2014

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sointenly posted:

Would be good to start a list of HF stuff that's actually worth getting. I bet it would be a pretty decent size list.

Here's my approved list, based on personal use:
Impact sockets and extensions
Swivel impact sockets
Composite Ratchets
Sand blasting cabinet (large)
Nitrile gloves
Earthquake 1/2" Impact gun
60 Gal compressor
1/4" air die grinder
3" cutoff tool
Metal punch set
1/2"-1" Drill bit set
Aluminum floor jack
Red and Black tool carts
44", 56", and 72" Tool boxes
Prybars
Plastic deadblow hammers
Long handle needle nose pliers
3 and 5 pound hammer
Moving dollies
Moving blankets
Step drill bit set
20 Ton press
Porta-Power kit
Jack Stands
Plastic scrapers
Door trim and panel tool kit
Wheel lug socket set
6.5HP Gas engine
Ultrasonic cleaner
45w Solar Panel kit
Aluminum loading ramp
HVLP Spray gun (Primer)
Digital Calipers
Evaporust
Hydraulic lift table
Chip Brushes

Things I avoid:
Anything with an electric motor- grinders, drills, sanders, ect
6x48 belt sander, a complete POS
Pliers, screw drivers, standard sockets
Sand paper, abrasives (cut off/grinder wheels)
Nails, screws, hoseclamps, cotter pins, ect
Anything electrical (plugs, terminals, wire)
Tape, adhesives, ect.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm impressed most this stuff has outlasted my expectations.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

iForge posted:

At the very least you should wear safety glasses when doing this. I recommend picking up a full face shield and wearing it whenever you use the grinder. Metal in your eyes is NOT fun, and I know this from personal experience. They numb your eye with drops then dig it out with a needle, and sometimes have to cut into the surface of your eye to get to it. The person holding the mirror while you cut should be wearing safety glasses, gloves, and long sleeves in case the mirror breaks, blood is harder to clean up than broken glass.

This woman is delighted to be protecting her eyes, you will be too.

As a generally safe dude, I just want to emphasize that this woman is delighted to be protecting her eyes from saliva as a dental hygienist. Always wear safety glasses under a face shield, and make sure that any face shield/head gear that mounts directly to your head has a crown to protect you from sparks and debris from above. Also, make sure the face shield is stamped with "Z87.1" (sometimes with a +) so that you are sure that it has passed ANSI impact testing (before you go buying flea market face shields).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Holy poo poo, there's a 72"? :whatup:

Hey, goon who was going to explain why he was unhappy with his buddy's new 44" HF toolchest, did you die or what? I put off buying one and then you never posted any reasons (I think).

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

melon cat posted:

I've triple-checked, and I know exactly what you're talking about. But it isn't spring-loaded. This townhouse was built in a very cheap, mass-produced fashion and I wouldn't mind smacking the builder for their design decisions. For example, in order to get behind the washer dryer you need to remove the water heater.

Yep.

The room behind it is a garage, and directly behind it is a subwall that is shared with our townhouse neighbour. :suicide:

Well just go to town on it with duct tape or something and then crack it apart.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Hey, goon who was going to explain why he was unhappy with his buddy's new 44" HF toolchest, did you die or what? I put off buying one and then you never posted any reasons (I think).

I have one at work and there is no reason you should not buy one right now. You could wait until the October 12th parking lot sale and pick one up for $359. Unless you have $1500 to spend on a SnapOn/MAC for some reason.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
You know what the easiest way to removing that mirror probably is

slip a putty knife between the mirror and that bracket, and then bend the bracket down.

Takes less than 3 months to do it, too

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

the spyder posted:

I have one at work and there is no reason you should not buy one right now. You could wait until the October 12th parking lot sale and pick one up for $359. Unless you have $1500 to spend on a SnapOn/MAC for some reason.

Ha, I bet $1500 wouldn't even get me a 2-drawer 26" midbox from SnapOn. :shepspends:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Splizwarf posted:

I also have the 44" tool chest and am completely happy with it.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

King of Gulps posted:

From that picture, an angle grinder seems like massive overkill? Like it would be incredibly easy to make things far worse, especially if the OP hasn't quite developed a deft touch. I see no problem with a Dremel or even a hacksaw blade to score the metal until it can be bent or broken. That said, if I was to use a grinder, I would use a standard grinding wheel and take material off of the outside of the corner of the bracket until it could be bent out of the way, rather than trying to slot it. Or just slide a pry bar behind the bracket and yank it out of the wall.

He mentioned before that he wants an angle grinder anyway, and I am trying to save him from buying a dremel for one job and then buying a grinder anyway.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I have the 44" HF tool chest and it's great. Some dude did a lot of research and found out they use pretty OK construction techniques and features for that price.

melon cat posted:

Yep.

Just lose some weight and stop dressing like a clown so you don't have to take the mirror off at all.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I painted my house last weekend and behind the mirror there was a father's day card and the front panel of a bar breathalyser machine.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't think we've covered this mirror crisis enough, surely there must be yet another way to remove it from the wall. :f5:

Especially when I have my own mirror crisis brewing --- in my case though I'm pretty sure the idiots glued it to the wall. Which might be okay if they had placed it higher so that I can see my head. And I'm only 5'-10"!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

wormil posted:

I don't think we've covered this mirror crisis enough, surely there must be yet another way to remove it from the wall. :f5:

Especially when I have my own mirror crisis brewing --- in my case though I'm pretty sure the idiots glued it to the wall. Which might be okay if they had placed it higher so that I can see my head. And I'm only 5'-10"!

Just add another above it. :colbert:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Splizwarf posted:

Just add another above it. :colbert:

:colbert: Dig a hole in the floor :colbert:

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

melon cat posted:

It's possible the springs have rusted in place. However it happened, the mirror was once installed, and reversing those steps will usually uninstall it without buying piles of tools. But buy that grinder anyways.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Mirror chat is great and all, but... re: Harbor Freight, I've found that the reviews on the site are fairly accurate if you read them close enough. The tools are decent for what you pay. Don't expect to be blown out of the water consistently. The list below is pretty drat big, though!

the spyder posted:

Here's my approved list, based on personal use:
Swivel impact sockets
Composite Ratchets
Nitrile gloves
Earthquake 1/2" Impact gun
60 Gal compressor
1/4" air die grinder
3" cutoff tool
Metal punch set
1/2"-1" Drill bit set
Aluminum floor jack
Red and Black tool carts
Prybars
Plastic deadblow hammers
3 and 5 pound hammer
Moving dollies
Moving blankets
Step drill bit set
20 Ton press
Porta-Power kit
Jack Stands
Plastic scrapers
Door trim and panel tool kit
Wheel lug socket set
6.5HP Gas engine
Ultrasonic cleaner
45w Solar Panel kit
Aluminum loading ramp
HVLP Spray gun (Primer)
Digital Calipers
Evaporust
Hydraulic lift table
Chip Brushes

Things I avoid:
Anything with an electric motor- grinders, drills, sanders, ect
6x48 belt sander, a complete POS
Pliers, screw drivers, standard sockets
Sand paper, abrasives (cut off/grinder wheels)
Nails, screws, hoseclamps, cotter pins, ect
Anything electrical (plugs, terminals, wire)
Tape, adhesives, ect.

I'm sure there's more, but I'm impressed most this stuff has outlasted my expectations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vindolanda posted:

:colbert: Dig a hole in the floor :colbert:

Using a large, heavy duty winch system attached to the roof of the house at the end behind the mirror, pull on the house until it racks slightly in that direction, thus causing all the walls parallel to the mirror wall to angle slightly, tipping the mirror in question upward and revealing the viewer's hideous mug. :colbert:

e: you could also push from the other end of the house instead if that works better, let's not be closed-minded here

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
2nd a lot of the tools mentioned above and adding a few from my own experience. Emphasizing the tools that I think are super cool.

Approved:
Swivel impact sockets
1/4" air die grinder
3" cutoff tool
Metal punch set
Aluminum floor jack
Red and Black tool carts
Prybars
Plastic deadblow hammers
Moving dollies
Moving blankets
Step drill bit set
Jack Stands
Plastic scrapers
Aluminum loading ramp
HVLP Spray gun (Primer)
Hydraulic lift table
25' tape (free)
Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool
10 Amp, 120 Volt Demolition Hammer
Adjustable Shade Auto-Darkening Welding Helmet
High Speed Steel Step Drill Bits

Things I avoid:
Most electric power tools, with the exception of a few.
Wire brushes / wire wheels / abrasives
Paint brushes and roller covers
Garden Tools and Hoses
The ultra butch lesbian employee(s)

A note on the free items: HORDE THEM! I probably have 2 dozen tape measures and and at least that many cheap pairs of scissors and screw driver sets. You know what? My life is better for it! I leave one of each tucked away in just about every room of the house and am constantly giving them away to my lame know nothing friends. Every time you go to HF you should leave with a free item.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

HF also gives out "free" coupons for their cheap multi-meters. If you don't need the precision, they're completely acceptable for basic work.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sointenly posted:

A note on the free items: HORDE THEM! I probably have 2 dozen tape measures and and at least that many cheap pairs of scissors and screw driver sets. You know what? My life is better for it! I leave one of each tucked away in just about every room of the house
A tape measure in every room? You are living the dream.

That sounds sarcastic, but seriously.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

MRC48B posted:

HF also gives out "free" coupons for their cheap multi-meters. If you don't need the precision, they're completely acceptable for basic work.

Always keep an extra around (for calibration checks) if you're going to use one of the free ones. Mine's off by almost 2 volts on DC and I didn't realize right away. Got it a couple years ago, but it hasn't seen excessive use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Slugworth posted:

A tape measure in every room? You are living the dream.

That sounds sarcastic, but seriously.

Tape measure and a screw driver... This must be how Warren Buffet feels.