Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Into darkness is super well made and very entertaining, just like the one before it. Never understood the nerd rage, it was an awesome movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
If I don't get to play the "blame the writer" card, y'all don't get to counter criticism with the Ace of Nerd Rage.

Moving on...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cyra posted:

Into darkness is super well made and very entertaining, just like the one before it. Never understood the nerd rage, it was an awesome movie.

Counterpoint: Into darkness stinks because there's no real sense of danger and it feels like it's soullessly moving from plot point to boring plot point for two hours. Also see: Z, World War

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 18, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Counterpoint: Into darkness stinks because there's no real sense of danger and it feels like it's soullessly moving from plot point to boring plot point for two hours. Also see: Z, World War

I literally felt nothing when the Kirk stuff happened because they telegraphed it so badly with the tribble earlier. I knew exactly what was going to happen from that point on. Wrath of Khan at least had the balls to keep Spock dead until the next movie, this couldn't do it for even an entire act.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Magic goo is the most tiresome crutch.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Call Me Charlie posted:

It also had some awfully boring setpieces which felt too small in scope for a what it was trying to setup.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Into Darkness was terrible except the scene on the planet with the volcano killing all the locals. First movie was goddamn amazing tho. Hope they pick it back up for the 3rd one.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Vintersorg posted:

Into Darkness was terrible except the scene on the planet with the volcano killing all the locals. First movie was goddamn amazing tho. Hope they pick it back up for the 3rd one.

Both movies had incredible opening set pieces. The first one, at least, stayed good. The second one got worse and worse as it went along. I really wanted to like Into Darkness since I liked '09 so much. But it was Very Bad.

Changing subjects back to blu-rays, I really like the Ghostbusters set. Both movies look great, and having the music videos to both of them is neat. Ghostbusters II has a lot less extras than the original, but what do you expect? Got it for $15 at Best Buy, and that's not a bad price at all.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Vintersorg posted:

First movie was goddamn amazing tho. Hope they pick it back up for the 3rd one.
Orci is directing the third movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cheesus posted:

Orci is directing the third movie.

Lol. This is going to be a disaster.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Instead of making more Star Trek movies they should just keep releasing the Star Trek whale movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Has anyone picked up the new BR for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre today? I'd like to know how the image stacks up against the old BR, and the blu-ray.com thread is seven thousand insufferable pages of people sperging out over the minutae of packaging without so much as a mention of the transfer.

Responding like I said I would. I haven't seen the previous blu-ray, but the transfer on this is insanely good. All the stuff about it being the best the film could possibly look is absolutely true. Looking at screenshots from the last blu-ray I'd say that the difference is noticeable, if not incredibly so.

E: Scratch that last part. Looking at them more, actually next to the same scenes freeze framed, the new one is head and shoulders better than the original.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I can't seem to find that Texas Chainsaw release anywhere around me here in Canada and Amazon.ca isn't selling it, will have to wait to get lucky on ebay, it's the same with the Friday the 13th set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Responding like I said I would. I haven't seen the previous blu-ray, but the transfer on this is insanely good. All the stuff about it being the best the film could possibly look is absolutely true. Looking at screenshots from the last blu-ray I'd say that the difference is noticeable, if not incredibly so.

E: Scratch that last part. Looking at them more, actually next to the same scenes freeze framed, the new one is head and shoulders better than the original.

Thanks.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Code Red has Messiah of Evil up for pre-order:
http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/product/messiah-of-evil-blu-ray

Not a "great" film, but worth seeing just for two of the scariest scenes I've seen in a film.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Code Red has Messiah of Evil up for pre-order:
http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/product/messiah-of-evil-blu-ray

Not a "great" film, but worth seeing just for two of the scariest scenes I've seen in a film.

Is this the movie with that freaky rear end scene in a movie theater?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Is this the movie with that freaky rear end scene in a movie theater?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ayfmkeJGc

Yes. (Sorry for the crap pan & scan clip, but I think only Code Red has put out a proper 2.35:1 Techniscope version)

It's kind of boring in spots, but the opening scene, that scene, and one later in a supermarket are sublime. They belong more in a better movie.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The normal preorder for Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series is up. Only $41.99 compared to $90 for the Amazon Special Edition (which is a clamshell case and 2 artbooks)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WQDQ2SOR4DFYRSV

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Call Me Charlie posted:

The normal preorder for Cowboy Bebop: Complete Series is up. Only $41.99 compared to $90 for the Amazon Special Edition (which is a clamshell case and 2 artbooks)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...WQDQ2SOR4DFYRSV

Does this include the movie?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Swagger Dagger posted:

Does this include the movie?

I don't think so. I think Image Entertainment has the rights to that.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cowboy-Bebop-The-Movie-Blu-ray/21270/#Review

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2ayfmkeJGc

Yes. (Sorry for the crap pan & scan clip, but I think only Code Red has put out a proper 2.35:1 Techniscope version)

It's kind of boring in spots, but the opening scene, that scene, and one later in a supermarket are sublime. They belong more in a better movie.

Someone posted this clip in gen chat a while back and I've wanted to see the movie ever since, but I'm kind of hesitant about a 27 dollar blind buy. Is this a thing where only ten minutes of the film are good?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

CPL593H posted:

Someone posted this clip in gen chat a while back and I've wanted to see the movie ever since, but I'm kind of hesitant about a 27 dollar blind buy. Is this a thing where only ten minutes of the film are good?

The whole movie is really good, but I can't believe it's not out there cheaper in some capacity. It's on a few of those Mill Creek 50 horror movie packs, for example.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

TCMShop has the Halloween Blu set for $20

http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=695827

It's obviously a mistake but worth a shot.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

mallratcal posted:

Wow, I don't even like Halloween but I'm tempted to get that just to flip it. Amazon has it for 109.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

mallratcal posted:

Just ordered this, charged me the 20 + 20 shipping to Canada, can't wait to finally see the producer's cut of the piece of poo poo 6th film.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Yeah I said gently caress it and ordered it, even if I decide to watch it all, with my work I can still sell it for what I paid used if I want to. So crazy deal all around.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Safe Driver posted:

Just ordered this, charged me the 20 + 20 shipping to Canada, can't wait to finally see the producer's cut of the piece of poo poo 6th film.

It's a very different movie but still lovely.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Safe Driver posted:

I can't seem to find that Texas Chainsaw release anywhere around me here in Canada and Amazon.ca isn't selling it, will have to wait to get lucky on ebay, it's the same with the Friday the 13th set.

It was available on Amazon.ca. I ordered it on September 12 but it hasn't arrived. I received an email confirming that it shipped on September 18 but when I check the website it says to expect delivery by October 25. I have no clue when this will end up arriving.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.

mallratcal posted:

Wow, couldn't pass this up. I doubt they will honor it but it would be sweet if they did!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Call Me Charlie posted:

Why do people keep making clamshell cases :( They look so ugly on the shelf and are just ugly in general.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
That Halloween shop page has been taken down. Now we wait...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Discount Viscount posted:

They already charged me and sent a confirmation email. Hope they honor it.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

CopywrightMMXI posted:

It was available on Amazon.ca. I ordered it on September 12 but it hasn't arrived. I received an email confirming that it shipped on September 18 but when I check the website it says to expect delivery by October 25. I have no clue when this will end up arriving.

It's up on Amazon.ca now but as an import for 50 dollars, still not listed on any Canadian sites that I can see. I'll hold out hope though!

Fake edit: My Halloween boxset from TCM went from backordered to pre-ordered and they sent a confirmation email so fingers crossed on that too.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Discount Viscount posted:

My order went from under review, to me being charged. I guess that's a good sign.

e: Apparently they had a pricing error on the Ghostbusters gift set, and those shipped out to people.
I just really want to see the producers cut of 6, I'd be happy if they just sent that.

mallratcal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 22, 2014

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
My online banking is down right now, but I got an email saying that the order was being processed and they're going to charge me $25 including shipping.

Only weird thing is that the order status page says it's a preorder, yet it's supposed to ship out tomorrow.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

AndyP posted:

My online banking is down right now, but I got an email saying that the order was being processed and they're going to charge me $25 including shipping.

Only weird thing is that the order status page says it's a preorder, yet it's supposed to ship out tomorrow.

From what it looks like it was a preorder, the thing actually comes out the 23rd so ordering it when the page was still up would make it a preorder.

I jumped on this as well. I really only enjoy the third Halloween movie (one of the few things I've picked up every version I can find, I really enjoy it) but at 25 freakin' dollars (after shipping) I couldn't say no.

I also got my account charged the right amount and the confirmation email. Even has a order tracker link that states the order is ACTIVE and that it will ship the 23rd. Reading about how elusive the producers cut of 6 has been makes me really excited for this set because I've always been a sucker for alternate cuts.

To bad I'll never get a deal like this for the Friday the Thirteenth series (heck or even an actual good release, read bad things about the most recent one).

Edit: Do'h, now it says it's on backorder.

Free Drinks fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 23, 2014

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Safe Driver posted:

It's up on Amazon.ca now but as an import for 50 dollars, still not listed on any Canadian sites that I can see. I'll hold out hope though!

Fake edit: My Halloween boxset from TCM went from backordered to pre-ordered and they sent a confirmation email so fingers crossed on that too.

I ordered this version:
http://www.amazon.ca/Texas-Chainsaw...ainsaw+massacre

I saw the import one for $50 as well. I'm not sure what the difference between the two version is, aside from packaging as both were released last week and both are 4k scans. I checked shipping again today and it said it has left Concord, ON, so I expect to have it today or tomorrow.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Free Drinks posted:

Edit: Do'h, now it says it's on backorder.

Mine shows that too. Some people on the blu-ray.com forums are reporting that their orders were cancelled, but they are jerks who ordered 10+ copies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I ordered this version:
http://www.amazon.ca/Texas-Chainsaw...ainsaw+massacre

I saw the import one for $50 as well. I'm not sure what the difference between the two version is, aside from packaging as both were released last week and both are 4k scans. I checked shipping again today and it said it has left Concord, ON, so I expect to have it today or tomorrow.

The difference is the packaging and special features. The one you ordered has only the first disc of the other set, meaning none of the special features on the 2nd disc, and no 3rd and 4th discs, which are just DVD copies of discs 1 and 2.

Also I got the Halloween set today (Amazon, was a birthday gift that the person already bought so I didn't even attempt the $25 thing). I appreciate them putting each movie in it's own full sized case, on one level, but also god drat does it take up a lot of shelf space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I got an email from TMC offering 30% of my next order. However, it seems that it was sent to everyone and my order is still active.

• Locked thread