Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

This is a problem because a scale of 0~10 has an average of 5 so 7~8 is....wait, above average? Those darn journos using numbers the way they're supposed to work! :mad:

This isn't how it works in practice though, 7 is thoroughly average because games never get below that unless the reviewer thinks they are actual steaming turds. Reviewers aren't suddenly changing the way they rate games just for Zelda Hyrule Warriors. If you want to nitpick yeah I'm sure there's a ton of shovelware bringing the literal average score down, but in terms of games that a sane person would realistically consider buying, 7 is pretty mediocre.

Of course gaming journalism is poo poo and a single number tells you nothing about a game, impressions and qualitative descriptions are much more valuable, so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Word of advice! If you purchase 3D World and beat it, don't make my mistake and purchase New Super Mario Bros Wii U afterwards. 3D World not only looks and sounds 10x better, it feels better and has much tighter controls. 3D World basically makes New obsolete in every way.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

Word of advice! If you purchase 3D World and beat it, don't make my mistake and purchase New Super Mario Bros Wii U afterwards. 3D World not only looks and sounds 10x better, it feels better and has much tighter controls. 3D World basically makes New obsolete in every way.
This is pretty much my experience, too. It just doesn't feel as high quality across the board.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I can't get into NSMBU just because I freaking hate the controls. They feel so unresponsive compared to SM3DW (and any of the other non-NSMB games, honestly).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I never thought NSMBU's controls were bad. It just isn't as fun as 3D.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The worst part about the Hyrule Warriors reviews are how much time the reviewer has spent in each one I've read seemingly shocked that it isn't a Zelda game or a perfect hybrid of Zelda gameplay and Dynasty Warriors gameplay. It's been pretty obvious from day one that this was, just like every other IP used for a Dynasty Warriors game, just a Zelda skin on DW gameplay.

FPzero posted:

I'm surprised that Super Metroid isn't also on sale.

They didn't have Super Mario World on sale during the Mario week either. So at least they are keeping with the norm here.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Asnorban posted:

The worst part about the Hyrule Warriors reviews are how much time the reviewer has spent in each one I've read seemingly shocked that it isn't a Zelda game or a perfect hybrid of Zelda gameplay and Dynasty Warriors gameplay. It's been pretty obvious from day one that this was, just like every other IP used for a Dynasty Warriors game, just a Zelda skin on DW gameplay.

They didn't have Super Mario World on sale during the Mario week either. So at least they are keeping with the norm here.

Haha, yeah. It's like they were secretly thinking "the dungeon puzzles must not be in this trailer either."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Team Ninja guy wanted to make something closer to a traditional Zelda game but Miyamoto intervened and told them to stick to the template.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

homeless snail posted:

Reviews for Musou games are always garbage cause reviewers are lazy and never play them on the difficulties that force you to engage with their mechanics.

Does this mean I should be playing on hard rather than normal to get the Real Dynasty Warriors Experience? I've beat the first four stages so far and only died once, on the fourth boss. Never played one of these before.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Edit: double post, my phone sucks worse than game reviewers

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 19, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've always found Hard to be an unfun slog in DW games, also most of them assume you're bringing levelled characters to the higher difficulties so starting off on them is usually a bad idea.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Asnorban posted:

You know what, though? That's a perfectly valid reason to give it a middling review because Musou gameplay is really dumb and bad.

Just because I'm going to buy it anyway, because that's exactly what I want and expect out of it, doesn't make it any better or excuse it for being dumb and bad.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So I'm still playing my way through all the main mario games, and I tried out Mario 64 ds on my new 2ds and the circle pad control just isn't doing it for me.

So I boot up my Wii in the Wii U and I have 200 points from my old console I totally forgot about! Yay! Virtual Console Mario here we go!

Except Mario 64 requires 1000 points, and you can only add points in ten dollar increments. Eat all the dicks, Nintendo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

You know what, though? That's a perfectly valid reason to give it a middling review because Musou gameplay is really dumb and bad.

Just because I'm going to buy it anyway, because that's exactly what I want and expect out of it, doesn't make it any better or excuse it for being dumb and bad.

Musou gameplay isn't particularly dumb and bad in the games that are well made. It's simplistic but that isn't the same thing. It basically is filling the same niche as Diablo but with slightly more technical combat and less pure stats. It's button-mashy-kill-lots-of-dudes gameplay but it is neither the first nor last franchise to end up like that.

I mean there is not that big a gap between something like Borderlands or Diablo and Musou. You begin with simple characters who level up and gain new abilities and skills while tearing through huge swarms of enemies with the end-game focus being getting a whole fuckin' lot of loot, hopefully with rare skills or abilities. The relative simplicity of the games is pretty much on the same level. I'd argue that Diablo III is simpler than several Musou games even.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 19, 2014

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

RyokoTK posted:

What I'm talking about would be more like them spending a lot of a Mario Golf review complaining that the game is a golf game and not a typical platforming Mario game. I don't really care what scores they give it, it just bothers me how so many of the reviews seemed to have a misconception about what type of game it was in the first place.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Seriously, I'm going to get the game, but you can bet I'll be putting in big bold letters on my Club Nintendo survey, "WHERE IS GROOSE?!"

He's loose.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Team Ninja guy wanted to make something closer to a traditional Zelda game but Miyamoto intervened and told them to stick to the template.

In fairness, in Team Ninja's plan Zelda would collapse to the ground crying when she encountered Gohma and then turns into a little girl as part of the least subtle metaphor possible. It's probably for the best that they stuck to regular Musou game play.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

In fairness, in Team Ninja's plan Zelda would collapse to the ground crying when she encountered Gohma and then turns into a little girl as part of the least subtle metaphor possible. It's probably for the best that they stuck to regular Musou game play.

Actually, that wasn't Team Ninja's fault. That was all Yoshio Sakamoto's doing.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Assassination of Samus Aran by the Coward Yoshio Sakamoto.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I know, but Team Ninja was responsible for how lovely the gameplay was in Other M so they can share the blame for everything else in it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Random Stranger posted:

I know, but Team Ninja was responsible for how lovely the gameplay was in Other M so they can share the blame for everything else in it.

Wasn't a good chunk of that (like Wiimote with no extensions for the only control method) at his demand?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Woah wait hold on. Team Ninja worked on Hyrule Warriors?

Please tell me it was their art guys and nobody else.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Omega Force made it with assistance from Team Ninja, which is generally a pretty good thing because Warriors games have been getting a lot more action-y since the Koei Tecmo merger.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChaosArgate posted:

Wasn't a good chunk of that (like Wiimote with no extensions for the only control method) at his demand?

Yup.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Kaubocks posted:

Woah wait hold on. Team Ninja worked on Hyrule Warriors?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Those are nice breasts on that video game character.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assume I have Team Ninja to thank for combat with officers being more about dodging and attacking when they're vulnerable, instead of just trying to get the first hit in and hoping I can juggle them to death. Also fights against large enemies that aren't loving terrible (DW Gundams :argh:).

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Wait nevermind I always mix up Team Ninja and Ninja Theory.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

enojy posted:

I agree. There's only 1 or 2 actual bad scores so far on Metacritic. I'm just taken aback a lil bit, because I'm used to the Zelda name going a long way when it comes to review impressions.

It probably is. Musou games traditionally get ripped apart pretty badly by critics in the West, although Warriors Orochi 3 and Dynasty Warriors 7/8 seemed to find a way to rise above enough to get the nod. I would fully expect Hyrule Warriors to get something like a 5 or 6 almost regardless of merit if the Zelda skin wasn't laid on it unless it was some new grand revolution to the Musou/Warriors games (it isn't.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kaubocks posted:

Wait nevermind I always mix up Team Ninja and Ninja Theory.

The pneumonic device I use for this confusion is to remember that Team Ninja made the Ninja Gaiden games while Ninja Theory is loving awful.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Neo Rasa posted:

The pneumonic device I use for this confusion is to remember that Team Ninja made the Ninja Gaiden games while Ninja Theory is loving awful.

That's not a pneumonic mnemonic at all dude.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

Their characters are pneumatic, though.

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
As someone who never wanted to play Dynasty Warriors because the theme combined with the combat style didn't interest me at all, and as someone who likes the Zelda IP but has not played most of the games I am pleased to announce that Hyrule Warriors has been pretty fun so far.

The Zelda skin does a lot for making the combat feel more fun, the whole aesthetic is nice, and levels are pretty long.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Of course, in Canada the whole thing is flip-flopped.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Wait did Hyrule Warriors release today in NA? I've totally not been paying attention to its release date. If so, I know what I'm downloading tonight!

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

FPzero posted:

Wait did Hyrule Warriors release today in NA? I've totally not been paying attention to its release date. If so, I know what I'm downloading tonight!
No, one week from today. Out today in EU.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

FPzero posted:

One week. The renewed attention is likely because of that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Katana Gomai posted:

Sorry here's a better example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1okpAj7Fhw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE5L3WVIGW8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TbmcgGsXyU

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Thanks club nintendo!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Long John Power posted:

Thanks club nintendo!

Forever bitter about boring digital prizes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

Forever bitter about boring digital prizes :(

Yeah, why give out video games to people who like video games? I guess this has to be a Nintendo fan thing, but I would much rather have free games than a stuffed animal.

• Locked thread