Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Just confirming that, no, you don't get to keep the post game characters that you unlock through the New Party! Looking for More Members thing in D4V. (Adell, etc.) I didn't imagine you could, but I'd really hoped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Totally off topic, but a co-worker and I were lamenting Disgaea 5 being PS4 exclusive, and somehow got onto how amazing Dynasty Warriors Disgaea would be as a game. Because it would be incredible.

Hey man we got Zelda and DQ getting their own DW games, this could totally happen.

(probably not but drat it'd own)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly at this point I really expect every Japanese franchise to get a DW game.

Personally I'm waiting for Resident Evil Warriors.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dis posted:

Just confirming that, no, you don't get to keep the post game characters that you unlock through the New Party! Looking for More Members thing in D4V. (Adell, etc.) I didn't imagine you could, but I'd really hoped.

Well drat I haven't unlocked androids but Adell is like my highest level.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Okay, D4V question. I'm trying to get the Puppy Paw Stick so i can dupe items. I've caught a level 1000 Nekomata. (Exactly that level, but I can go get one higher than that). She is NOT a Meowkin pirate like you need for the Flonzor part, but every guide seems to indicate that you don't need one for the Puppy Paw Stick.

So can my level 1000 Nekomata's chest that showed up on an X-Dimension map get me the Puppy Paw Stick, is the question. Do I just have to keep trying? Do I need a Nekomata that's actually higher than level 1000, or do I need to bang my head against the item world til I find a Meowkin pirate for the Puppy Paw Stick too? (I've gone though 40 levels of an item and got all of one encounter with pirates, it's slightly depressing.)

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 18, 2014

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Well drat I haven't unlocked androids but Adell is like my highest level.

I just don't want to go through all of the X-Dimension again. God drat.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Totally off topic, but a co-worker and I were lamenting Disgaea 5 being PS4 exclusive, and somehow got onto how amazing Dynasty Warriors Disgaea would be as a game. Because it would be incredible.

They need the power of the PS4 to bring you the jaw dropping visuals that have become the series trademark!

It's a really stupid decision, I should hopefully have a PS4 by then but its still annoying.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Brasseye posted:

They need the power of the PS4 to bring you the jaw dropping visuals that have become the series trademark!

It's a really stupid decision, I should hopefully have a PS4 by then but its still annoying.

I'm actually interested in the under-the-hood workings of Disgaea seeing how 4 has pretty primitive graphics sprites aside and yet the thing CHUGS when doing certain maps/item world.

Wondering if it's all poorly optimized or what the deal is cause man the graphics of these games are pretty bad :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'll just wait until it's on vita :v:

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Truga posted:

I'll just wait until it's on vita :v:

Same :v:

Out of curiosity how much do you guys usually get out of this game? I started playing since the port to the DS but I usually fall off each game after I've beaten the main story because of how overwhelming the post-game stuff is. I feel like I'm missing a tonne of stuff and I'd like to have the motivation to keep going but I'm not sure how to readjust my thinking to get me to push on past the base stuff.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMO, if you feel overwhelmed it's perfectly fine to finish the game and be done with it. I remember my very first time playing through d1 saying something like 80 hours on the save, though I'm not sure if I didn't leave the game on over night once or twice, and I do remember exploring doing some item world, classes and other assembly stuff a bit. I only started getting interested into the post game at a much later date.

Still, that's more than most games you pay $60 for will provide you these days. Also, just going start to finish with little or no grinding is one of the most fun experiences I've had in games. The difficulty stays just right through the entire game. The game gets really hard, especially the final stages, but you can still win by just playing smart and using all your dudes correctly, which kinda reminds me a lot of x-com ground battles.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

On D3 Vita I got like, 100 hours but it wasn't all at once. Like I would put the game down for a bit, forget about it for a couple of months, then think "Oh yeah Disgaea" and get sucked back in. If I did it all at once I would totally burn out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is there any way to increase your chances of finding pirates in the Item World? I can't seem to get many pirates to spawn at all, let alone the Meowkins. I could have sworn that when I first started diving in, I constantly had pirates thrown at me, but so far, almost nothing. I wait until the end of turn 2, and if no pirates show up by then, I skip the floor. Supposedly pirates won't spawn if an event area, mystery gate, or level sphere spawn, so I've been skipping those floors.

And yes, I'm on floor 21-39.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Do you have the Item radar. If I remember correctly if you have it placed on your campain map and have it filled it is supposed to increase the odds of pirates and events happening in the item world.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

Veteran Disgaea-breakers, I think I'm in need of a little help. I've reached the post game of D4V (as I'm sure I've already said a number of times) and this is pretty much where I always fizzle out. I don't want that to happen this time. The problem USED to be that I was so OCD I'd get burnt out trying to equally level every single character. Obviously stupid, I know. That's why I called it a problem.

This time, it's more that I've never really done this part of the game before and don't know how best to proceed. So! To bring you all up to speed:

I've got Valvatorez at about 670 and a few others (mostly spellcasters) around 330 from grinding 5-2. I haven't done much with the item world and I haven't unlocked the chara world yet because I was assuming, maybe equally stupidly, I should wait until I could get some characters up to 9999 before bothering with reincarnation. I've got Ordeals unlocked, but have yet to delve in. Hell, I think I still have some evil symbols to unlock via bills, but that's easy enough. Hit the Raspberyl fight and found it a little too hard - either because I'm underlevelled or underequipped. Not sure which. Most of my characters have equipment I stole from the New Party! folks.

...Any wisdom for a really indecisive player that wants to see how far he can actually take this addictive game?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

Okay, D4V question. I'm trying to get the Puppy Paw Stick so i can dupe items. I've caught a level 1000 Nekomata. (Exactly that level, but I can go get one higher than that). She is NOT a Meowkin pirate like you need for the Flonzor part, but every guide seems to indicate that you don't need one for the Puppy Paw Stick.

So can my level 1000 Nekomata's chest that showed up on an X-Dimension map get me the Puppy Paw Stick, is the question. Do I just have to keep trying? Do I need a Nekomata that's actually higher than level 1000, or do I need to bang my head against the item world til I find a Meowkin pirate for the Puppy Paw Stick too? (I've gone though 40 levels of an item and got all of one encounter with pirates, it's slightly depressing.)

You don't need a meowkin for the puppy paw stick. The one I used was some random ~1200ish one from item world. It took an hour or so of resets to finally get the stick and I felt lucky to get it that quick because there are tons of ship parts and random poo poo you can get instead

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

You don't need a meowkin for the puppy paw stick. The one I used was some random ~1200ish one from item world. It took an hour or so of resets to finally get the stick and I felt lucky to get it that quick because there are tons of ship parts and random poo poo you can get instead

All right good to know. I just cranked the difficulty up to 20 and combined the Nekomata on 5-2 to get my level 1000 one...though if it HAS to be one fromt he item world that'll be a pain, as I tried to capture one previously and it did not go well.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dis posted:

Veteran Disgaea-breakers, I think I'm in need of a little help. I've reached the post game of D4V (as I'm sure I've already said a number of times) and this is pretty much where I always fizzle out. I don't want that to happen this time. The problem USED to be that I was so OCD I'd get burnt out trying to equally level every single character. Obviously stupid, I know. That's why I called it a problem.

Of course the irony is that once you get deep enough into the postgame (statisticians + Mt.Ordeal 4), you can actually do this without taking a ton of time. Just use the training grounds evil area and throw whoever you want into there, level your powerhouse as normal. I think I got Artina to level 4000ish doing this? I forget offhand, but it was through a single run.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

All right good to know. I just cranked the difficulty up to 20 and combined the Nekomata on 5-2 to get my level 1000 one...though if it HAS to be one fromt he item world that'll be a pain, as I tried to capture one previously and it did not go well.

Well, I forgot about the ones in 5-2 entirely or I would have just taken the ship parts as they came to reduce the pool of items to draw from.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Of course the irony is that once you get deep enough into the postgame (statisticians + Mt.Ordeal 4), you can actually do this without taking a ton of time. Just use the training grounds evil area and throw whoever you want into there, level your powerhouse as normal. I think I got Artina to level 4000ish doing this? I forget offhand, but it was through a single run.

I'm hearing "Work your way through Mt. Ordeal and powerlevel a bit." I'm not sure if I got that right, but at least it's a place to start. Thanks. Kind of?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dis posted:

I'm hearing "Work your way through Mt. Ordeal and powerlevel a bit." I'm not sure if I got that right, but at least it's a place to start. Thanks. Kind of?

That's always a good start. Just keep in mind you'll probably want to run through a legendary fist before hitting Mt. Ordeal 4 proper. The enemies there are pretty strong even at their base level, and you're not going to get a ton out of it until you can oneshot them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Little further down the road from that point: what's my next move once I hit LoC? My equipment is getting pretty outdated, but enemies have way too high stats for me to take advantage of bonus stuff/I generically don't understand how to get higher ranked equipment.

Also, is this the point where the Chara World starts becoming really important? And do I really need to reincarnate over and over for each character I like using? I figured out a system so that it's not so bad, but I'm still not sure how to get those numbers even higher.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pollyanna posted:

Little further down the road from that point: what's my next move once I hit LoC? My equipment is getting pretty outdated, but enemies have way too high stats for me to take advantage of bonus stuff/I generically don't understand how to get higher ranked equipment.

Also, is this the point where the Chara World starts becoming really important? And do I really need to reincarnate over and over for each character I like using? I figured out a system so that it's not so bad, but I'm still not sure how to get those numbers even higher.

For me, I get to the point where I could kill normal Pringer X: Poison, he has a item called a crowbar on him and I yanked it.

Next I made a masked hero and character worlded him +2 movement, then tossed in the best movement gear I could find and let him learn the first two fist skills.

After that I went into the Crowbar not in land of carnage but in the normal one up to floor 90, then left and saved my game. I went to the LoC and went in, everything there is just as you said- murderously overpowered but I was able to progress to different floors by having my masked man run to gate guardians and shove them off and then tower throw. Look for a legendary version of the weapon you want and then it progresses like this. (If you don't find the weapon/gear you want just reload the save and try again)

Sword's highest thing you can find on the field is the Yoshitsuna sword that Zetta has, in the LoC if you go to floor 100 in that the Item God will be holding a baal sword (or the next tier up) and that becomes the only way to get stronger weapons. For firsts for example if you see a Ultimus (legendary) steal it, get to floor 100 and the item god should have a legendary Cosmo Knuckle or whatever it's called. (Always Gency out on floor 99 and save, that way if the weapon isn't to your liking or the rarity you want you can just reset, do a floor, and try again)

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 19, 2014

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Lord of Pie posted:

Well, I forgot about the ones in 5-2 entirely or I would have just taken the ship parts as they came to reduce the pool of items to draw from.

Well considering I've yet to see even a ship part, and am getting nothing but crappy gear, exp of hell, it might have to be one from the item world. Which is problematic for reasons I mentioned.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

That's always a good start. Just keep in mind you'll probably want to run through a legendary fist before hitting Mt. Ordeal 4 proper. The enemies there are pretty strong even at their base level, and you're not going to get a ton out of it until you can oneshot them.

You don't need to do this. You need to giant magichange a fist monster (like a Nekomata) for Big Bang to work out on Ordeals 4 anyway. Level a Nekomata.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

If I reincarnate a lvl 2000 galaxy mage and dump all the points in INT, does that affect how much she gets per level or what?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
This is just Japan news but D5 got a release date for March 26th and a demo for October.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Emron posted:

If I reincarnate a lvl 2000 galaxy mage and dump all the points in INT, does that affect how much she gets per level or what?

It does. Stats gained per level are a function of both base stats and current stats so also make sure she has a good staff/orbs on if you are indirectly leveling her.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

It does. Stats gained per level are a function of both base stats and current stats so also make sure she has a good staff/orbs on if you are indirectly leveling her.

Where on earth did you get this from? Unless they changed something pretty drastically in this iteration your equipment doesn't matter at all in terms of character stat growth.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Smello posted:

Where on earth did you get this from? Unless they changed something pretty drastically in this iteration your equipment doesn't matter at all in terms of character stat growth.

Yeah I was mistaken about that. I remember reading it on GameFAQS in regards to D3 Vita but it seems that is not the case. Sorry:shobon:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Smello posted:

You don't need to do this. You need to giant magichange a fist monster (like a Nekomata) for Big Bang to work out on Ordeals 4 anyway. Level a Nekomata.

Yeah I know, I technically didn't level a fist myself. I'm just saying, he's probably going to reach MtO4 too weak to actually oneshot any of the enemies even with a giant magichanged Nekomata. I think I had to run the level at least four times before I could clear it the ideal way.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just used Desco and Val over and over.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

megamariox posted:

Do you have the Item radar. If I remember correctly if you have it placed on your campain map and have it filled it is supposed to increase the odds of pirates and events happening in the item world.

Soon as I put out the radar, I was seeing pirates about every third or fourth map, sometimes even two pirate hits on a map at once. While I'm actually enjoying it at present, I can see how that poo poo might get old.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So aside from reincarnating over and over, what's the trick to getting high stats? Duping innocents? Higher ranked items? Leveling up legendaries?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

So aside from reincarnating over and over, what's the trick to getting high stats? Duping innocents? Higher ranked items? Leveling up legendaries?

In endgame terms? Get a Legendary version of Invincible Armour and dive into the Item World. Make sure you pass six Movement Bills while doing so. Get to floor 100, kill the Item God, then Gency out. Repeat ~200+ times until the item is completely maxed out (somewhere around 2.1 million in each stat, though you'll be able to tell what the cap is pretty easily because Defense is going to cap out long before your other stats). Then dupe dupe dupe. With Guardians, rarity matching, and 220%+ Aptitudes from Char World, any character would max out all of their stats even without a weapon. Base stats will no longer matter at that point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So, wait. How much of that can I do before beating Zetta? I'm currently stuck on him in the post game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Pollyanna posted:

So, wait. How much of that can I do before beating Zetta? I'm currently stuck on him in the post game.

Realistically? Almost none. You can, however, beef up your chances of taking Zetta down by grabbing the highest tier legendary sword you have, diving down to level 100 (and stealing from the Item God) to power it up, and stealing Zetta's Yoshitsuna/Makai Wars.*

As it happens, by using the Training Ground evil symbol and through the natural consequences of Giant Magichange, you can also get a nice, powerful crack squad for taking Zetta down while building to this point.

*You'll have 99% steal rates on a level 9999 thief, just so you know.

E: I guess if you have access to the LoC you could theoretically pull it off with a lower tier piece of equipment, but if you can't kill Zetta I doubt you'll be able to kill the Item God.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hm. Well, I managed to beat Zetta - the second Pringer X fight is right where I think I need to start doing all of that. I did get Yoshitsuna and Makai Wars, so I guess I'll be duping/IWing those.

Also, is there somewhere I can get saves for D3V? Or do I need to have actually bought the game for the save data to work?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Pollyanna posted:

Also, is there somewhere I can get saves for D3V? Or do I need to have actually bought the game for the save data to work?

That and save games are account-tied on PSV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
Back when it came out I played Disgaea - Hour of Darkness a lot and I enjoyed it.

I would like to play more from the series or something similar. However I just have a PC and a PS2.

Is Disgaea 2 for PS2 recommendable or is it too slow?
Which other games with a similar feeling might be of interest?

• Locked thread