Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Using BGT or Tutu, has anyone ever experienced a discoloration of lava in BG1? The lava in Nashkel mines appears almost pink instead of the vivid orange that it should be, and it seems to have a glazed look to it as well. I'm playing with Big World, but I also remember this happening years ago with just Tutu by itself. Anything I can fiddle with in the graphics config to correct it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jive One posted:

Using BGT or Tutu, has anyone ever experienced a discoloration of lava in BG1? The lava in Nashkel mines appears almost pink instead of the vivid orange that it should be, and it seems to have a glazed look to it as well. I'm playing with Big World, but I also remember this happening years ago with just Tutu by itself. Anything I can fiddle with in the graphics config to correct it?

Don't be alarmed; it's clearly boiling carnivorous jam, you lucky duck.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Anyway I just reached the underdark/mindflayer prison in BG1 so I've almost caught up to the point where I quit last time. Have I even reached the halfway point and how big is TOB in comparison to Shadows of Amn?

You're definitely about halfway through the plot though depending on how many sidequests you did in Chapters 2/3 you could still have a lot of extra content. TOB is shorter and much more linear - go here and kill this boss, now go here and kill this boss, etc.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sweet. I actually just put a stake through Bodhi's heart :)

I know there technically isn't a max for AC but at what point is there really no benefit to raising it? My Swashbuckler currently is at -12.

edit: oh poo poo a guy using a moonblade +3 just died fighting a balrog :ohdear: Was that Xan?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 19, 2014

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I've been romancing Aerie and uhh she's really annoying. I want to switch to Viconia. How can I do this with mods or cheats? I'm in the Underdark right now fwiw.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I know there technically isn't a max for AC but at what point is there really no benefit to raising it? My Swashbuckler currently is at -12.
There is actually a lower cap around -22 or 24 - I don't remember which. There's some tricks you can use to push beyond that but there's not really much point.

AC's importance actually trails off in the opposite way to which you seem to expect. By the time you get through the first, say, five hours of ToB, many enemies' THAC0s are so low that even ACs in the negative teens or twenties will be getting hit a significant amount of the time. Damage resistance/negation starts taking over as the optimal way to survival instead of dodging.

quote:

edit: oh poo poo a guy using a moonblade +3 just died fighting a balrog :ohdear: Was that Xan?

I imagine they'd have made much more of a fuss over it if it were. All the other BG1 cameos are pretty noticeable except perhaps Ajantis', and Xan is even technically in BG2 already.

Let's have a look at the BG1 NPCs for a moment, actually.

Ajantis: Windspear
Alora: Ms Not Appearing
Branwen: Ducal Palace
Coran: Tethyr Woods
Dynaheir: Chateau Irenicus
Edwin: party member
Eldoth: Mr Not Appearing
Faldorn: Druid Grove
Garrick: Temple District
Imoen: party member
Jaheira: party member
Kagain: Mr Not Appearing
Khalid: Chateau Irenicus
Kivan: Mr Not Appearing
Minsc: party member
Montaron: Harper Compound
Quayle: Circus
Safana: Tethyr Woods
Shar-Teel: Ms Not Appearing
Skie: Ms Not Appearing
Tiax: Brynnlaw
Viconia: party member
Xan: Ducal Palace
Xzar: Docks
Yeslick: Mr Not Appearing

Of twenty five, eighteen reappear in one fashion or another. Pretty good odds.
Although lots of them turn up to die, now I look at it. Ajantis, Coran (possibly), Dynaheir, Faldorn, Khalid, Montaron, Quayle (if you're bad at the game), Safana, Tiax, Xzar. Ten of the eighteen, all but three of the non-party members, and all but one of the people who turn up outside the tutorial. The Sword Coast is a dangerous place.

Average Bear posted:

I've been romancing Aerie and uhh she's really annoying. I want to switch to Viconia. How can I do this with mods or cheats? I'm in the Underdark right now fwiw.
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("AerieRomanceActive","GLOBAL",3)

CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("CheckViconiaMatch","GLOBAL",1)
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("ViconiaMatch","GLOBAL",1)
CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("ViconiaRomanceActive","GLOBAL",1)

Then wait to get back to the surface because the bloody Underdark is no place for romantic interludes.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 19, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
There's a ducal palace in BG2? Where do you mean?

And I found low AC to be really handy in BG1 - I got a character down to about -11 - but like Sleep of Bronze says in BG2 and TOB it becomes almost pointless. It's sort of a shame because it made my Jaheria a bit poo poo in TOB since she hasn't got that many hitpoints.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
It's a SECRET.

One which you could work out from carefully reading through my post, as it happens.

(It always fascinates me how many people manage not to get there.)

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Taear posted:

There's a ducal palace in BG2? Where do you mean?

And I found low AC to be really handy in BG1 - I got a character down to about -11 - but like Sleep of Bronze says in BG2 and TOB it becomes almost pointless. It's sort of a shame because it made my Jaheria a bit poo poo in TOB since she hasn't got that many hitpoints.

She has Iron Skins??

edit: and Fighter HLAs (hardiness...)

verybad fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 19, 2014

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sleep of Bronze posted:

(It always fascinates me how many people manage not to get there.)

Oh, the tutorial. I'd played BG1 already, why would I play that!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Branwen was always my go to Cleric in BG1 since Viconia's magic immunity was annoying, so her not showing up in BG2 was kind of lame.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

verybad posted:

She has Iron Skins??

edit: and Fighter HLAs (hardiness...)

It's no way near as good as just being a fighter. It's also more effort having to cast the spells! Although I did like having the elemental summoning ones.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Taear posted:

It's no way near as good as just being a fighter. It's also more effort having to cast the spells! Although I did like having the elemental summoning ones.

Um, Iron Skins plus fighter HLAs is better than just being a fighter.

Plus, you can pull of amazingly dumb stuff like Smite->Fire Seeds for your own personal Breath weapon.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Taear posted:

Uh, fighter/druid is objectively superior, to the point of kicking the poo poo outta plain fighter in BG2/ToB.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Taear posted:

a supertank with access to insects for spellcaster interruptions among other useful utilities will overcome fighters massively around mid-levels

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Did Dispel Magic get severely toned down or something in the Enhanced Editions? I'm doing Tales of the Sword Coast and I want to kill Shandalar since I vaguely remember him giving tons of exp (plus the reward for returning his cloak is junk for all that effort). When he puts up his minor globe of invulnerability and confuses my melee I cast dispel magic but nothing works. He still has the globe up and my guys are still confused. Is it a bug or did Beamdog decide to make the spell worthless? Or am I just missing something?

I suppose this will be important to know for Baldur's Gate 2 when that spell really came in handy.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Welp I just arrived in HELL!!!! and should explore/hopefully finish that area when I get home tonight.

Maybe I just suck but I feel like I always have to resort to being cheap with some of the more difficult bosses. Irenicus was using time stop and imprisonment so I said gently caress it, got a time stop scroll out of my scroll case, used it at the beginning of the fight, spammed every dispel ability I had and summoned a cacofiend right behind him. Irenicus didn't last very long after that. My guess is I'm going to have to fight an improved version of him in hell though.

I think the game is better when you have to deal with a lot of trash and a boss at the same time.

Anyway, I didn't really care much for Irenicus' backstory but he's still my favorite villain. Probably just because he has the most kickass voice. I'm going to miss him.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Did Dispel Magic get severely toned down or something in the Enhanced Editions? I'm doing Tales of the Sword Coast and I want to kill Shandalar since I vaguely remember him giving tons of exp (plus the reward for returning his cloak is junk for all that effort). When he puts up his minor globe of invulnerability and confuses my melee I cast dispel magic but nothing works. He still has the globe up and my guys are still confused. Is it a bug or did Beamdog decide to make the spell worthless? Or am I just missing something?

I suppose this will be important to know for Baldur's Gate 2 when that spell really came in handy.

Dispel Magic checks the caster level vs. target level for success. So if your caster happens to be lower level than Shandalar you might have some trouble.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

amanasleep posted:

Dispel Magic checks the caster level vs. target level for success. So if your caster happens to be lower level than Shandalar you might have some trouble.

You might also be used to Keldorns dispel magic. As an Inquisitor his dispel magic is twice as good as his level.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Tzarnal posted:

You might also be used to Keldorns dispel magic. As an Inquisitor his dispel magic is twice as good as his level.

How many layers of magic does dispel take off when it works? Are there some magics/abilities that block dispel magic? I'm using Keldorn and while it works 99% of the time there are some bosses (liches/Irenicus) that seem to be immune to it.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

How many layers of magic does dispel take off when it works? Are there some magics/abilities that block dispel magic? I'm using Keldorn and while it works 99% of the time there are some bosses (liches/Irenicus) that seem to be immune to it.

A successful Dispel magic gets rid of all effects on the target (possibly some rare exceptions). Liches and Irenicus likely cast at more than twice Keldorn's current level, which is why it fails. They are not immune.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

As long as its not blocked by immunities dispel magic rolls to take off everything, positive, negative, spell protection, combat protection, other random things. If its an ongoing magical effect not provided constantly by an item Dispel Magic can get rid of it. Even the effects of terrain magic like clouds or webs.

It doesn't get rid of clouds, pools or webs though, so often those will quickly be reapplied.

Aside from its major downfall of level based chances the only thing that stops Dispel Magic is outright immunity to either all magic or to the specific school ( Abjuration ). Mostly that can be accomplished through Scrolls of Protection From Magic and Spell Immunity(Abjuration).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tzarnal posted:

This is probably the case right here. Alright, thanks for the info. I'll have to adjust accordingly. The rep hit was a bit too much (I forgot that it was 10) but I killed him by hitting him with Greater Malison then casting Spook. Then I just Magic Missile'd him to death. I forgot there was an EXP cap in Baldur's Gate so I just reloaded and turned it in. I killed him at least.

Is there any real benefit of being a pure Cleric over a dual Fighter/Cleric? I'm just brainstorming ideas for when Icewind Dale comes along.

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Liches are immune to all spells from levels 1-5, so Dispel Magic won't work on them. Irenicus will be an extremely high level (around level 30) mage, so your % chance of success per cast will likely be low.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Jimbot posted:

This is probably the case right here. Alright, thanks for the info. I'll have to adjust accordingly. The rep hit was a bit too much (I forgot that it was 10) but I killed him by hitting him with Greater Malison then casting Spook. Then I just Magic Missile'd him to death. I forgot there was an EXP cap in Baldur's Gate so I just reloaded and turned it in. I killed him at least.

Is there any real benefit of being a pure Cleric over a dual Fighter/Cleric? I'm just brainstorming ideas for when Icewind Dale comes along.

You get higher level cleric spells faster. If you're going to dual in iwd I recommend doing it at level 7 instead of 9. It will take a good part of the game to get to a cleric 10, but to a cleric 8 it's not too bad. I always liked fighter 7->druid for iwd. The total exp you need for that is 124,000. The total exp you need for a level 8 fighter is 125,000.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Ilyich posted:

Liches are immune to all spells from levels 1-5, so Dispel Magic won't work on them. Irenicus will be an extremely high level (around level 30) mage, so your % chance of success per cast will likely be low.

Dispel and remove magic are the two exceptions to their immunity. Well, I guess melf's minute meteors too, but that's an edge case.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ah OK. They use so many spells in this game it's going to take me awhile to memorize all the details.

Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition claims there will be over 30 new kits. Are they simply adding the new kits from IWD2 or will most of these be brand new? How big is IWD 1 & 2 compared to BG?

edit: Apparently they're all from BG2EE.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 19, 2014

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

MegaGatts posted:

You get higher level cleric spells faster. If you're going to dual in iwd I recommend doing it at level 7 instead of 9. It will take a good part of the game to get to a cleric 10, but to a cleric 8 it's not too bad. I always liked fighter 7->druid for iwd. The total exp you need for that is 124,000. The total exp you need for a level 8 fighter is 125,000.

Good stuff. How about multi-class Fighter/Cleric? Is that route any good as well?

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

Jimbot posted:

Good stuff. How about multi-class Fighter/Cleric? Is that route any good as well?

It's 175k exp to get to a level 8 cleric from fighter. Its very doable but you'll have a few more hours without your fighter levels.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Too many options. Can I just be a white, bald marine with an assault rifle?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Sure, play a human fighter, get to Throne of Bhaal, and put the Big Metal Unit on.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jimbot posted:

Isn't Shandalar kind of "rigged" to be artificially difficult since he is a (somewhat) plot-important NPC who isn't really meant to be killed? I remember reading something about that, but I can't recall any details.

By the by, Keldorn's dispel magic would be irrelevant against Shandalar as he is BG1 and Keldorn is only in BG2. If you have a hand-made Inquisitor character, though, that would be an idea. Still, he'd be at best about level 8 against Shandalar and even doubled you're going to be fighting an uphill battle to make that dispel stick.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Jimbot posted:

Name him Abdel Adrian, install Romantic Encounters

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

DeathChicken posted:

Branwen was always my go to Cleric in BG1 since Viconia's magic immunity was annoying, so her not showing up in BG2 was kind of lame.
Same for me. Plus, I like having a reputation of 20, so I'd rather not have evil NPCs. I just turned Viconia over to the Flaming Fist for questioning and then killed the treacherous drow in self-defense when she attacked me.

For BG2 I think Anomen is a fine cleric to use. His fighter levels make him pretty decent in melee, especially since he can get grandmastery in weapons.

JustJeff88 posted:

Isn't Shandalar kind of "rigged" to be artificially difficult since he is a (somewhat) plot-important NPC who isn't really meant to be killed? I remember reading something about that, but I can't recall any details.
He's similar to Drizzt, in that he's a non-evil NPC who isn't meant to be killed. From what I've read he's weak to wands of paralyzation.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Besides getting access to certain characters is there any benefit to being evil in BG1 or 2? As far as I know I haven't seen any evil weapons or armor. There have been a few interesting cursed items but that's it.

I don't think I'm going to take my Swashbuckler through ToB and I think I would like to try an evil party next time.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 19, 2014

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Besides getting access to certain characters is there any benefit to being evil in BG1 or 2? As far as I know I haven't seen any evil weapons or armor. There have been a few interesting cursed items but that's it.

I don't think I'm going to take my Swashbuckler through ToB and I think I would like to try an evil party next time.

There is some decent equipment that is only equippable by evil or at least non-good characters, and some unique quest rewards that only come from evil path choices. For the most part, no.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Not losing any stats in Hell.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also the good party members seem to have a ton of problems coexisting with evil characters. Mazzy won't even be in the same party with Hexxat. Anomen will get pissy about her and won't be in a group with Dorn at all. Keldorn will inevitably try to kill Viconia (usually somewhere totally inconvenient, like in the Underdark).

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
lol holy poo poo. I got to the final fight with Irenicus and while my party and animal friends were killing his demons he feared Mazzy and then chased after her to the bottom of the screen. I literally sat up top for a minute or two waiting for a few characters to lose stun. Once that happened Irenicus didn't stand a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

a medical mystery posted:

a supertank with access to insects for spellcaster interruptions among other useful utilities will overcome fighters massively around mid-levels

As someone said a lot earlier in the thread it's easier to just cast breach and then click to attack a spellcaster than bother interrupting. They also require no set up before fights and are generally a lot less bother. That's what matters more to me.

And just like in tabletop Dungeons and Dragons being evil is generally a Bad Idea and not worth it. The game doesn't really encourage it in any way.