Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm Welsh and I can assure you we're not a part of England, so it must be something else that binds us together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Why are England and Wales together in an unnamed circle that Scotland isn't part of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

This guy explains it all very well.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The obvious reason is because Scottish people are white. Is England as bad socially as the US? I see racist British stuff here but is it as prevalent the UK as here? A question I have always wondered

The UK is hella racist, same with Canada and every other "nice" country. The US manages to take it one step further, and is more open and comfortable with their racism. At least in the UK it's still illegal to murder black people.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Another gem from the guy who jerked off to killing ISIS members

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm Welsh and I can assure you we're not a part of England, so it must be something else that binds us together.

Taxes?

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

trapped mouse posted:

Because Scotland is not a part of England, it is a part of Great Britain and the UK. England is just that area that you think of "English" or "British" people living

I'm British, I know Scotland is not a part of England. The issue I have is that in that diagram England and Wales are lumped together in a different circle from Scotland. Is it just that Scotland couldn't fit in that circle?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Shelf Adventure posted:

I'm British, I know Scotland is not a part of England. The issue I have is that in that diagram England and Wales are lumped together in a different circle from Scotland. Is it just that Scotland couldn't fit in that circle?

Wales is a conquered nation, it's 'England and Wales' as a single nation, whereas scotland is a nation that joined the union voluntarily.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

SybilVimes posted:

Wales is a conquered nation, it's 'England and Wales' as a single nation, whereas scotland is a nation that joined the union voluntarily.

"Voluntarily"

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Scotland is for all practical purposes an independent country, Wales is not. Also Wales has been integrated into England for a much larger time period whereas the Act of Union was in the 18th century and if I remember British history correctly, it was a Scottish queen from the House of Stuart doing the uniting. Scotland was in a much more favorable position than Wales, who was utterly conquered and stomped into the ground.

HonorableTB has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Sep 19, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Byzantine posted:

The United States are several separate countries banded together.
Under the Articles of Confereration maybe, but don't think anyone's considered states that independent since around 1800. The countries in the UK have a lot more unique identities than our states.

Shelf Adventure posted:

American posting here so I may be wrong, but aren't England and Wales still under the same parliment while Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

American posting here so I may be wrong, but aren't England and Wales still under the same parliment while Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own?

Wales has an assembly, which is a devolved governing body with limited powers similar to the Scottish parliament.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Puntification posted:

Wales has an assembly, which is a devolved governing body with limited powers similar to the Scottish parliament.

It's much closer to Northern Ireland's Assembly in intended powers, although NI has as a necessity more devolution than wales.

It's also an incredibly recent thing, and not likely to lead to an independant wales in anything like the near future.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Knormal posted:

Under the Articles of Confereration maybe, but don't think anyone's considered states that independent since around 1800. The countries in the UK have a lot more unique identities than our states.

US states do have a great deal more political autonomy than UK home countries though. And there are US states with very strong identities even if they aren't necessarily the same thing as European identities.

HonorableTB posted:

Scotland is for all practical purposes an independent country, Wales is not. Also Wales has been integrated into England for a much larger time period whereas the Act of Union was in the 18th century and if I remember British history correctly, it was a Scottish queen from the House of Stuart doing the uniting. Scotland was in a much more favorable position than Wales, who was utterly conquered and stomped into the ground.

Welsh history is incredibly depressing, and I say this as a guy who lives in Brittany, whose history is also really depressing.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Soviet Commubot posted:

Welsh history is incredibly depressing, and I say this as a guy who lives in Brittany, whose history is also really depressing.

Brittany's history is great. It's basically ~1500 years of giving the finger to any and everyone they could. There's even evidence their fishermen discovered the New World in the 8th or 9th century, but since the fish was so bountiful, they never told anybody and kept it a secret so no one would horn in on their racket. Also, they are still a semi-independent state with their own army, parliament, and language.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Also, they are still a semi-independent state with their own army, parliament, and language.

The only one of those things we have is the last one, which only a small minority (of which I am one) speak. There's a "parliament" building in Rennes but it's actually an appeals court for the regular French judicial system.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

kannonfodder posted:

The UK is hella racist, same with Canada and every other "nice" country. The US manages to take it one step further, and is more open and comfortable with their racism. At least in the UK it's still illegal to murder black people.

It's actually like the opposite. The UK along with basically all of Europe take it a step-further than the US. Europe is more racist than the US.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

And Aaron Hernandez committing murder!

Aaron Hernandez is Hispanic.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Amused to Death posted:

It's actually like the opposite. The UK along with basically all of Europe take it a step-further than the US. Europe is more racist than the US.

I'll admit that my knowledge of this topic in Europe is pretty limited, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can outdo the US. What with their prison system designed to profit off of the arrest of black teens, and with near daily murders of black people by cops (who then don't get slightly punished).

But like I said, I don't hear too much coming from Europe, other than English complaining about immigrants.

GunnarHelmudsson
May 21, 2013

The last time I saw this face was July 4th, 1969. I am very sure that's the man who shot me.
This was on my facebook this morning. The OP has spent the entire campaign being insufferably smug and condescending to anyone even hinting at supporting Yes, mainly because he's a posh right-wing twat. The first comment, though... :shepicide:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

kannonfodder posted:

I'll admit that my knowledge of this topic in Europe is pretty limited, but I find it hard to believe that anyone can outdo the US. What with their prison system designed to profit off of the arrest of black teens, and with near daily murders of black people by cops (who then don't get slightly punished).

But like I said, I don't hear too much coming from Europe, other than English complaining about immigrants.

Make a thread in pretty much any subforum about Roma people (don't do this), you'll see normally reasonable Europeans turn into caricatures of Klan members pretty much instantly.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

kannonfodder posted:

In terms of how their police and prisons function, yeah, Europe is generally better, our police/prison problem is a problem in itself that our race problem intersects with. When it comes to how the general populace feels about immigrants, brown people, Muslims, Europeans are often racist as gently caress.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Soviet Commubot posted:

Make a thread in pretty much any subforum about Roma people (don't do this), you'll see normally reasonable Europeans turn into caricatures of Klan members pretty much instantly.

Not telling anyone to go to Reddit but if you do you'd be surprised how casually people are racist against Roma in any world news thread ever there and you'll get downvoted to gently caress for basically saying "Uh guys you know they're people, right? They're not all gonna rob you and you're stereotyping pretty bad here, guys."

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

SybilVimes posted:

It's also an incredibly recent thing, and not likely to lead to an independant wales in anything like the near future.

Scottish and welsh devolution happened at the same time, 1998, you're right there's nowhere near as much support for independence in Wales though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

They are. The NFL is 70% black, so it's not just your mom making racist assumptions.

White NFL players have gotten in their share of trouble in recent years (Richie Incognito, Riley Cooper, Ben Roethlisberger), but none of it happened to be domestic violence (bullying, racism and sexual assault in these respective cases).

Oof. I think I may have phrased my question badly. She's not thinking that all the black players are abusive monsters [aside from the ones that've been caught abusing their wives] she's just a bit suspicious about how so many black players are being caught now and so few white people are. Bu, if the diversity is skewed that far, it's no wonder that there're fewer white people having their dirty laundry aired.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Amused to Death posted:

In terms of how their police and prisons function, yeah, Europe is generally better, our police/prison problem is a problem in itself that our race problem intersects with. When it comes to how the general populace feels about immigrants, brown people, Muslims, Europeans are often racist as gently caress.
When I lived in the Netherlands (not Amsterdam) it was really shocking at first how blatant the racism was. I'm not even talking about the zwarte piet stuff but in every day life. There were numerous occasions where I witnessed retail people being snotty, obnoxious brats to darker skinned immigrants as they tried to communicate in dutch only to have them turn to me, a white immigrant, and joke about how "those people" needed to learn the language or get out. Half the time the person they were mocking spoke better dutch than I did but I was white so I'd learn eventually... it was strange.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Henchman of Santa posted:

Aaron Hernandez is Hispanic.

And white, not black. I agree with your general point about the demographics of the NFL, which I think is the right answer to RareAcumen's mother's question (as opposed to selective publicity or whatever).

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Sep 19, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Officially we're part of "England and Wales" but if go around calling us English you'll probably get a fist to the face at some point. Even in Wales we have a national identity that is very much NOT English.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I remember waiting at the bus stop in front of the National History Museum in Cardiff and hearing some lady with a very starchy English accent (I'm American so I don't know where that would place her from other than Downton Abbey) go off on an angry tirade because the bus stop signs were in both Welsh and English. How they should learn to speak English and why should "we" have to coddle them.

P.S. that museum was amazing and I had the most delicious bara brith spread with butter made right on the spot. Wales is a wonderful place.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

EL BROMANCE posted:

International suicide pact

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Jeherrin posted:

Scottish Independence: It Was Rigged edition. Someone on FB just posted up a 'proof' video of vote rigging, by a YT channel called Elite NWO Agenda. Obviously, YT comments are low-hanging fruit, but I did particularly like this little gem...

Is it the photo/video of the table labelled "NO" with a ballot on top that has Yes marked? That one seems to be going around the crazies, even though everyone actually there has said that they were stacks of uncounted ballots.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Slime posted:

Officially we're part of "England and Wales" but if go around calling us English you'll probably get a fist to the face at some point. Even in Wales we have a national identity that is very much NOT English.

And the most delightful accents. :3:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The Welsh are basically the goony neckbeards of the UK. It's hard not to have a special place in your heart for them.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
So were those voice actors in the AssCreed pirate game really Welsh, or were they just overplaying the elongated "oo" sounds and other Welshisms?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

So were those voice actors in the AssCreed pirate game really Welsh, or were they just overplaying the elongated "oo" sounds and other Welshisms?

Anyone can do a Welsh accent, if you know the secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj59OB2_Bcg

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Esmerelda posted:

When I lived in the Netherlands (not Amsterdam) it was really shocking at first how blatant the racism was. I'm not even talking about the zwarte piet stuff but in every day life. There were numerous occasions where I witnessed retail people being snotty, obnoxious brats to darker skinned immigrants as they tried to communicate in dutch only to have them turn to me, a white immigrant, and joke about how "those people" needed to learn the language or get out. Half the time the person they were mocking spoke better dutch than I did but I was white so I'd learn eventually... it was strange.

I'm also a (Scottish) immigrant in the Netherlands and yes the racism is super blatant. The Dutch will love to tell you how wonderfully tolerant they are. Just bring up the M word (Moroccans) to watch them turn into the most unbelievable racists.

In Scotland it's also super racist though - it just feels a little less alarming I guess because there is hardly any ethnic diversity in Scotland whereas here in NL (in the randstadt anyway) it is REALLY mixed.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

At the very least, Edward's voice actor, Matt Ryan, is from Swansea, so he's the real deal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

And white, not black. I agree with your general point about the demographics of the NFL, which I think is the right answer to RareAcumen's mother's question (as opposed to selective publicity or whatever).

When I say white I mean 100% Caucasian, because in my assumption that his mom was being racist I figured she would be making assumptions about minorities in general. But obviously that's not what she meant so whatever.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

moerketid posted:

I'm also a (Scottish) immigrant in the Netherlands and yes the racism is super blatant. The Dutch will love to tell you how wonderfully tolerant they are. Just bring up the M word (Moroccans) to watch them turn into the most unbelievable racists.

In Scotland it's also super racist though - it just feels a little less alarming I guess because there is hardly any ethnic diversity in Scotland whereas here in NL (in the randstadt anyway) it is REALLY mixed.

I guess the difference is that most Europeans won't outright harm immigrants but just complain a lot about them, but Americans shoot them and imprison people for their skin color, regardless of where they were born.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Esmerelda posted:

The Dutch are a very direct people. They're pretty open about how they feel about things, which can be quite shocking when you come from an Anglosphere nation where you're supposed to couch your horrible views in euphemism and innuendo. :v:

Deltasquid posted:

I guess the difference is that most Europeans won't outright harm immigrants but just complain a lot about them, but Americans shoot them and imprison people for their skin color, regardless of where they were born.

No, they just use fists and blunt objects in Europe, they don't have as easy access to guns. :razz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Gamergate will never not be hilarious.

• Locked thread