Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dragonatrix posted:

You're not missing anything anyway other than the world's blandest cavedungeon and a bunch of piss-easy minibosses.

When I was young it literally took months before I was strong enough to beat the final boss. It didn't happen in till I had the meteor spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I particularly liked FFIVA/Complete Collection's extra content because it let you use everyone except two people who were unavailable for plot reasons, and even rebalanced their stats and added extra weapons to make them end-game capable. It's dumb goofy fanservice but I liked that a remake of a game where your party was static actually gave you the option to change it up at the end, and even changed a bit of the dialog in the final battle to boot.

The post-game dungeon was booty, but I did like how the rewards would change certain commands for your characters.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Quick name refresher of all the XV character names (I'm too lazy to attempt with the Latin grammar BTW):

Noctis "Noct" Lucis Caelum - Night Light Sky
Gladiolus Amicitia - Little Sword Friendship
Ignis Stupeo Scientia - Fire Stupefied (lit: struck dumb with amazement) Knowledge
Prompto Argentum - Quick Silver (well, not quite, but whatever, that's what they're going for)
Cor Leonis - (That ol' FF name staple) Lionheart.
---

Stella Nox Fleuret - Night Star Blossom
King Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII - King Ruler Light Sky 113th
Idola Aldercapt - Idol Birch-head
---

I'm all for these goofy-rear end names. :allears:

You forgot the character Romanes Eunt Domus.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Moldy Taxes posted:

The post-game dungeon was booty, but I did like how the rewards would change certain commands for your characters.

The main problem with the FFIV Post game stuff is that by the time you get the nice stuff you can hit 9999 with most of them without it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bregor posted:

Fang is awesome. :colbert: There's only six playable characters and they're all memorable, so I'm not sure what you mean. Fang earns bonus points for the Snow-punching, and she's really useful in battle. Her schtick with Vanille is kinda boring, but most of the story is boring so whatever.

She became playable and important much too late for my taste. I sort FFXIII's Party into three groups:
I liked Snow, Hope and Sazh.
I was indifferent to Fang and Vanille.
I hated Lightning.

I don't remember a single thing Fang did all game except make Vanille miserable just to get her Eidolon to come out.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I wanna run over a tonberry

I want a final boss fight that is just a tonberry wearing one of those paper crowns on his head slouching in an oversized thrown, calling directly back to Chaos' artwork in the first Final Fantasy, and his name has to be "Pug Dinglberry, King of the Tonberries, Spirit of Avenging Monsters". I don't know how it's going to fit in the space, but it has to.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Bought ff13 on steam, going to give it another chance. The endgame grinding was dreadfully boring because all the combat was pretty bland. Will most likely give ff13-2 another chance also only got alittle into the game since it was insanely boring with no direction.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Endorph posted:

my favorite jrpg name is Twice H. Peaceman.

fuckin love that name

you do realize the name 'ashe' is totally derived from a word, right

Wow that the most anime name since Hot Coldman from Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker...which he probably should got this name instead.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kinoko Nasu should not be allowed to make non-Japanese names.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm waiting on the announcement that Type 0 HD will head to PC too, any minute now.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This sure is some Shimomura-rear end music.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So how do you unlock DLC options in Curtain Call? I'm at 5000 Ryth-whatver and I didn't notice any announcement about it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Go to the file select menu and DLC options are at the bottom of the screen.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Online battling in CC is tons of fun even though I haven't even played 80% of the battle themes before and am thus screwed whenever I get ex bursted. :v:

Glad to see that you can filter by song difficulty when looking for challengers as well, hopefully the online will stay alive for a while.

E:

Also one of the random quotes Cloud says in the menu screen is "How do you put this thing on?" :allears:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 19, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Dagger is worth it just for the scene where you name her.

"Hm, so this is called a dagger, huh? I will call myself ASSLORD."

This might be the best possible way for that scene to play out

Curtain Call is really good guys. drat this series has good music.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This might be the best possible way for that scene to play out

Curtain Call is really good guys. drat this series has good music.

Yeah, I especially love hearing 1-3's original music since I've only ever played later remakes. They got a lot out of those lovely sound chips.

Speaking of remakes, I tried to get into V last year and picked up the mobile version but could never get into it because screw playing games on a phone. Do I have any other options to play V? I really want to after playing Beavely Default not too long ago and lookin for something new to pickup with a job system.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Yeah, I especially love hearing 1-3's original music since I've only ever played later remakes. They got a lot out of those lovely sound chips.

Speaking of remakes, I tried to get into V last year and picked up the mobile version but could never get into it because screw playing games on a phone. Do I have any other options to play V? I really want to after playing Beavely Default not too long ago and lookin for something new to pickup with a job system.

There's a GBA version.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You can buy FFV on the PSN store, but it's the old bad translation from the late 90s with such famous things as "Y-Burn." If you have a GBA you could try getting a copy but they've been out of print forever so it'll cost you loads of money.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah I remember looking into that GBA version before. Does the PSN version have the same lovely load time issues as some of the other SNES ports on there? I don't mind a crappy translation if I can enter and exit menus without the game hitching up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Beef Waifu posted:

You can buy FFV on the PSN store, but it's the old bad translation from the late 90s with such famous things as "Y-Burn." If you have a GBA you could try getting a copy but they've been out of print forever so it'll cost you loads of money.

Oh I should warn you guys. Careful with getting that gba game (or any popular gba rpg) there's a lot of counterfeits out there.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh yeah I remember looking into that GBA version before. Does the PSN version have the same lovely load time issues as some of the other SNES ports on there? I don't mind a crappy translation if I can enter and exit menus without the game hitching up.

Yes. I don't understand peoples' "omg fuk playing an rpg on my phone!!!" predilection, but that's your best option absent emulation/:filez: or paying out the ear for a GBA copy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like the phone version because it wasn't made for it. I have never been a fan of touch controls simply being a fake D-pad. It doesn't work very well. Also I didn't like the look of the game at all, the redone sprites are real ugly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean despite how bad it looks I played FFV on my phone and thought it was fine. Some people like their buttons more, but I don't mind. Then again sometimes you get cluttered huds like this and boy is it messy.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

I don't like the phone version because it wasn't made for it. I have never been a fan of touch controls simply being a fake D-pad. It doesn't work very well. Also I didn't like the look of the game at all, the redone sprites are real ugly.

At least the monster portraits are beautiful, but yeah I don't get the art direction for player character sprites, they look lazy and bloomy as hell.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I personally don't like playing FF games with ATB on my phone because my reflexes are much better using a controller than they are tapping and scrolling through menus. I'm too used to cranking battle speed to the fastest setting and thus battles become more of a pain with touch screen controls, since you need to spend slightly more time making sure you're being precise with your taps, or to scroll through battle menus.

Also not a huge fan of the map control schemes but then again there's not really many good options there beyond "get a bluetooth controller".

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Quest mode is really fun, way better than the dark notes in the first theatryhmt.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kurtofan posted:

Quest mode is really fun, way better than the dark notes in the first theatryhmt.

No lie, I never could finish Dark Notes in the first game, which sucked since certain songs were locked behind them.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't remember a single thing Fang did all game except make Vanille miserable just to get her Eidolon to come out.
Fang, despite her tough image, rode the chocobo sidesaddle. :3:

She was also really, really good at dishing out the damage and basically never left my active party once she was available.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kurtofan posted:

Played online against someone named Goon and they beat me 2-1.

Goons :argh:

E:

I wonder how many One-Handed Style players there are, especially considering you probably need to be left-handed to do it properly.

E2:

Seems like there are ragequitters in this game as well, two in a row now with a mysterious disconnect when they're failing. I don't really get it, the game itself is fun enough to play even if you lose.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 19, 2014

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
The best thing about quest mode is that any song can be chosen for you to play, the dark notes got really repetitive in the first game.

Although when quest mode decided to bust out A Contest Of Aeons on Ultimate as my first quest song....:negative:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

I personally don't like playing FF games with ATB on my phone because my reflexes are much better using a controller than they are tapping and scrolling through menus. I'm too used to cranking battle speed to the fastest setting and thus battles become more of a pain with touch screen controls, since you need to spend slightly more time making sure you're being precise with your taps, or to scroll through battle menus.

Also not a huge fan of the map control schemes but then again there's not really many good options there beyond "get a bluetooth controller".

I'm the same way. Maybe I should start cranking the speed down a bit but I'm far too used to playing ATB FF on the fastest speed for nearly 20 years.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Basically your options for playing FF5 in English are:

- GBA version (on an actual GBA or emulated)
- Mobile version
- PSN/PS1 version
- SNES version (emulated, with fan translation patch)

Of the legit options, I'd strongly advise against the PSN version. lovely load times and (possibly amusingly) lovely translation.

GBA vs. mobile is mostly a matter of GBA price tag/availability vs. mobile control scheme and player sprites, in terms of which negative you mind less. Otherwise they're more or less the same and are a solid choice either way, with the odd bugfix difference here and there. By far the best localization, either way.

If emulation's on your radar, I'll just suggest emulating the GBA version; there's not a lot of reason to go for emulating the PS1 or SNES versions if you're emulating at all. Consider buying (and not playing) the mobile version if that eases your conscience about playing for free, although that won't amount to anything in terms of the legal technicalities in regards to :filez:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/final-fantasy-15-demo-timing-has-not-been-confirme/1100-6422448/

Seems like they are prepping fans for the disappointment of having to wait even longer for the FF15 demo, like telling your kids you can't afford christmas presents this year (cept for Type 0 HD).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gologle posted:

I want a final boss fight that is just a tonberry wearing one of those paper crowns on his head slouching in an oversized thrown, calling directly back to Chaos' artwork in the first Final Fantasy, and his name has to be "Pug Dinglberry, King of the Tonberries, Spirit of Avenging Monsters". I don't know how it's going to fit in the space, but it has to.

You should play ARR and do Wanderer's Palace. And the Scholar quests.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

If you haven't tried them yet, the DQ mobile games actually did this better than most. It's just about the right size and I've personally had a much better time using it than previously.

Beef Waifu posted:

I mean despite how bad it looks I played FFV on my phone and thought it was fine. Some people like their buttons more, but I don't mind. Then again sometimes you get cluttered huds like this and boy is it messy.

As much as that looks busy as hell, I'd play the poo poo outta it.

I'm one of the bad people who unironically loved most of the XIII series, ridiculous stories and all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It also runs like complete poo poo, like I like the 13 games and I wouldn't even play that just because the framerate dropping when the camera turns would send me into a mind-boggling rage.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Vil posted:

Basically your options for playing FF5 in English are:

- GBA version (on an actual GBA or emulated)
- Mobile version
- PSN/PS1 version
- SNES version (emulated, with fan translation patch)

Of the legit options, I'd strongly advise against the PSN version. lovely load times and (possibly amusingly) lovely translation.

GBA vs. mobile is mostly a matter of GBA price tag/availability vs. mobile control scheme and player sprites, in terms of which negative you mind less. Otherwise they're more or less the same and are a solid choice either way, with the odd bugfix difference here and there. By far the best localization, either way.

If emulation's on your radar, I'll just suggest emulating the GBA version; there's not a lot of reason to go for emulating the PS1 or SNES versions if you're emulating at all. Consider buying (and not playing) the mobile version if that eases your conscience about playing for free, although that won't amount to anything in terms of the legal technicalities in regards to :filez:

I already own the mobile version, I just booted that up again and I'm trying it out again. Now I remember my problem was less with the D-pad controls but the problem mentioned above with clicking around on a screen during ATB battles. If I stick with it I'll probably just get used to it and chip away at the game during down times.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

I already own the mobile version, I just booted that up again and I'm trying it out again. Now I remember my problem was less with the D-pad controls but the problem mentioned above with clicking around on a screen during ATB battles. If I stick with it I'll probably just get used to it and chip away at the game during down times.

Mobile option plus Moga Pro plus Note 3 would have worked pretty awesome except I don't think any of the mobile ones support it. Not sure about apple side of things.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The FF15 demo doesn't come with Type-0, you get a voucher for the demo when later it comes out, according to the community manager :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

The FF15 demo doesn't come with Type-0, you get a voucher for the demo when later it comes out, according to the community manager :suicide:

Bwahahahaha this loving company

I knew it was all too good to be true