Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prsntdrkns
Jun 3, 2007

Fellis posted:

Its not, i just think its lovely for a dude to driveby shill his brothers poo poo kickstarter here?

Eh, that was a pretty bad post though, I was just pissy last night and felt like dogpiling.

you're a bitch bodak

It wasn't my intention to shill. I read the OP and thought it might be the place to post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Could you answer this question, then?

GrandpaPants posted:

Since I don't see the rules anywhere, is the game just...rolling dice? Even zombie dice has at least ONE decision (do I roll the dice?), which seems like one more than this game has.

Also why is "Add $5 for shipping within the US" even part of your tier? It would make sense if you were from outside the US, but you're not. $25 also seems like an awful lot for a bunch of dice, some banana tokens, and a rule sheet.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Fellis posted:

Its not, i just think its lovely for a dude to driveby shill his brothers poo poo kickstarter here?

Eh, that was a pretty bad post though, I was just pissy last night and felt like dogpiling.

you're a bitch bodak

Since this is literally the thread for shilling TG kickstarters there's nothing wrong with it. There are plenty of posts in this thread from people who made accounts just to shill their game.

If he'd made a new thread or something I could see getting pissy, but I'd rather not discourage people from posting any TG related kickstarters here.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Exactly, mock the kickstarter's quality and the game itself, don't mock someone for shilling a kickstarter in the kickstarter shilling thread.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
Was browsing the "Tabletop Games" tag on Kickstarter and came across this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/227645982/brandopoly-a-board-game?ref=category
£40 000 for a reskinned Monopoly? Seems a bit like wishful thinking.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arvid posted:

Was browsing the "Tabletop Games" tag on Kickstarter and came across this https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/227645982/brandopoly-a-board-game?ref=category

Counterpoint: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city

That isn't to imply at all that this will make it, but reskinned Monopoly is apparently worth money.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"2.) A SLA 3D printer to rapid prototype high end tokens, dice, and plastic elements of the game."

Alternatively, source cheap meeples in bulk. Good god, for someone with a degree in graphic design, everything about that game is goddamned fugly.

I'm amused that he lists legal aid and the fact he hasn't done any research on trademarks as his first need. 'Find out if someone owns the name' should be something you do before starting the project, like asking 'What are the odds of Hasbro paupering me with a legal challenge, even if I'm in the right?'

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

Counterpoint: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forkingpath/the-doom-that-came-to-atlantic-city

That isn't to imply at all that this will make it, but reskinned Monopoly is apparently worth money.

More like Slapping Cthulhu on something will make geeks give you money.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, there have been a lot of official Monopoly tie-ins and reskins over the years, and only some have been deeply dorky and unlikely things like Star Wars Monopoly.

But yeah, put a tentacle on it and nerds will beat a path to lurk at your door.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Or some cogs.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Clearly someone needs to go and invent the tentacog so we can bankrupt the nerd demographic.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Exactly, mock the kickstarter's quality and the game itself, don't mock someone for shilling a kickstarter in the kickstarter shilling thread.

Yes, this. Totally unrelated but did you know Breakfast Cult has just over a week to go?

I've been trying to reach out to people who are interested in some of Breakfast Cult's inspirations and might be interested in rolling dice, but I don't actually know anyone who is (for example) super into Danganronpa and roleplaying and isn't already a Trad Games goon, so it's taking a while. If I got someone into RPGs it would be worth it, though. :buddy:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Arvid posted:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao they had to settle for yahoo because they couldn't license Google

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

The Doom that Came to Atlantic City uses some visual design elements to reference Monopoly as a gag (less now than it originally did because, well, Hasbro), but the gameplay isn't nearly as similar as people seem to think. That Brandopoly project appears to literally be a reskinning of Monopoly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I got to playtest Doom that Came to Atlantic City back when it was still in the mockup phase and it had a lot of similar visual elements with Monopoly but the actual game was a bit like Parcheesi crossed with Cosmic Encounters.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
This may be old news for some but The Clang Kickstarter is dead.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

This may be old news for some but The Clang Kickstarter is dead.

Yeah and he's giving people refunds. Class act.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Kickstarter is changing their policies

Kickstarter posted:

When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.

Throughout the process, creators owe their backers a high standard of effort, honest communication, and a dedication to bringing the project to life. At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:

they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;

they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;

they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;

they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.

The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

(emphasis mine)

I haven't had any board game kickstarters flop on me yet but I had an art project bail after getting the money. I wonder if this may dissuade some kickstarters from happening like the Pegasus guy who was doing a boardgame to make money for his film stuff.

They could just easily make a bullshit excuse to cover their asses though.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
The Ice Age Mammals Kickstarter is continuing into the train wreck that multiple of you guys called. We got this update after a long string of (frankly embarassing looking) WIP miniature pictures:

Backers respond with a great deal of concern, including my personal favorite comment:

Unhappy Backer posted:

I am very happy to support a small miniatures company, and I don't mind the occasional delay, however I am getting more and more concerned about this one. Personally I feel it is very poor practice for anyone to launch a new Kickstarter campaign when when they have not fulfilled a previous one. ADW Games are now preparing to launch their third campaign... Now they announce that they are not going to update us by the agreed method, but force us to refer to a different site. The only photos we have seen of the sculpts were unfinished pieces, that quite frankly looked like they were done by an eight year old...

I am still hoping that they come through eventually and that I haven't thrown my money away, however I would recommend that no one back their new campaign until until they know that ADW Games can fulfil their original commitments

After a few days, one of the lead sculptors replies with a rather brusque response:

Update 109 posted:

[Lars]

In response to the various concerns and misunderstanding re: updates on IAM

1. I clearly stated that we would not be tending to the "Comment" section of the IAM KS. If it is unclear: we will be posting updates weekly on IAM KS, and updating more frequently on the adwgames.com site. A link has been provided for that update page several times.

2. I will post an "Update" every Friday until the miniatures have been delivered on both KS Campaigns;

3. The core duty before us, and we know this very well, is the move past the poor hiring choices that have put us behind schedule and move forward with new sculpts and more information. We chose the adwgames.com update page as the vehicle to achieve this, because It appears to the 5 people currently working on various aspects of this project, as if there is a small group of posting Pledgers on the IAM KS that sincerely hope we do not deliver, and are intent on driving hysteria towards that goal. That is counterproductive for our team and for the Pledgers that have placed their trust in us to fulfill. This is why we have chosen the new way of reporting progress outside of the comment section.

Needless to say, commenting backers are starting to get more and more annoyed at responses like this. 'Guys, it's all our lovely hires' faults!' 'Guys, people are trying to tank us! It's THEIR fault!' 'Guys, our 'we're posting all updates elsewhere now' didn't actually mean that and you should have know that!' I'm reminded of some old acquaintances who could never admit they didn't know everything and could never admit when something was actually their own fault. Not amazingly mature.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

Wow, that's great to hear. That whole thing was a bad combination of nerd heroes and something that was basically idea + money = magic, but I'm glad people aren't being left high and dry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did anything ever come of that MtG-alike that was going to utterly destroy MtG forever?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

moths posted:

Did anything ever come of that MtG-alike that was going to utterly destroy MtG forever?

If you're talking about Hex, they seem to be doing just just fine, complete with a genuine game, aside from a lawsuit filing from Wizards.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ThaShaneTrain posted:

Kickstarter is changing their policies

(emphasis mine)

I haven't had any board game kickstarters flop on me yet but I had an art project bail after getting the money. I wonder if this may dissuade some kickstarters from happening like the Pegasus guy who was doing a boardgame to make money for his film stuff.

They could just easily make a bullshit excuse to cover their asses though.

I don't see how this is any different from what Kickstarter's policies were beforehand. Kickstarter has always said that creators have an obligation to deliver in good faith and legal action has always been possible, the difficulty is in organizing a class-action lawsuit and effectively bringing it to bear and Kickstarter's definition of "attempting to deliver in good faith" has always been a half-assed shrug.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bucnasti posted:

I wonder how much interest he accrued on $500,000 in two years.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Kickstarter for a remake of the Russian arthouse video game Pathologic includes a tabletop version of the game as an add-in for $65. Details on the mechanics for the tabletop game itself are a little sparse but they say there will be more later and I thought it was worth mentioning in here one way or another. It's set in a 1900ish town out in the Russian steppe slowly getting devoured by a bizarre plague. I guess Pandemic crossed with something like Descent, since one player plays the Plague itself? No between-game progression or anything though. There's plenty of people being enthusiastic about the video game part in the normal games KS thread (or an ongoing LP of the original) if you're curious about that.

Ice-Pick Lodge video games tend to have pretty strong mechanics that are also completely hidden from the player (so things can feel a little capricious until you understand what's going on,) and I don't know how well that development style will translate to board games but hopefully they'll say more at some point.

Bullet points on the board game:

quote:

2–4 players.
An average session takes 60­­–80 min.
Each player takes on the role of one of the three doctors or the Plague.
Each doctor has their own playstyle and abilities, and the Plague’s gameplay is completely different.
The doctors’ goal is to complete missions while preserving as many of the Entwined companions as possible. The Plague’s goal is killing certain Entwined.
The doctors move through the Town personally or send their Entwined to complete dangerous missions. The Plague moves through the map stealthily, showing itself only when killing its targets or setting traps.
Players will have to think their moves through carefully while trying to guess what others plan to do. They’ll also have to talk, bluff, and manipulate.
Every action has consequences. Players will have to evaluate risks and take on the responsibility for their Entwined.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 19, 2014

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I'm backing the videogame Pathologic and was really tempted by the boardgame but I am backing for a digital reward, to add on the board game is another +15$ shipping for me so 80$.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Bucnasti posted:

From reading the comments, it seems as if he's given like 700$ in refunds to specific people, but hasn't even approached others. So while he might be intending to do refunds, there's a whole lot of people lining up for one right now and I guess we'll see how that one turns out!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

bowmore posted:

Probably much less than he had to pay in tax on his $500,000 of income. Tax fucks lots of KS projects. For some reason people don't think the IRS will want their cut if the funds are crowd sourced. WRONG!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Indolent Bastard posted:

Probably much less than he had to pay in tax on his $500,000 of income. Tax fucks lots of KS projects. For some reason people don't think the IRS will want their cut if the funds are crowd sourced. WRONG!
I hadn't thought of that!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

bowmore posted:

Not much -- it's not like he pocketed it and didn't do anything. There was a team that was paid to develop a prototype which didn't go anywhere, but I really don't think they were just sitting around doing nothing or it was a scam. From the updates, a bunch of the team ended up investing personal money in it too. I'm not asking for a refund because I figured it was a longshot anyway but I can't really fault anyone who does.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
To be honest the first thing that came to mind was starting a fake kickstarter then putting $500,000 in a high interest rate savings account and then announcing the project had failed and refunding the original pledges. My initial daydreams don't get anymore complicated than that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't high interest savings accounts usually have a steep fine or penalty if you want to withdraw all that money before X years have passed? :v:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's more or less the plot of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Except in the meantime, the guy deliberately went to jail so he won't have to pay rent or buy food.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

To be honest the first thing that came to mind was starting a fake kickstarter then putting $500,000 in a high interest rate savings account and then announcing the project had failed and refunding the original pledges. My initial daydreams don't get anymore complicated than that.

You could still just start a fake Kickstarter, announce the project has failed, and pocket the money anyway.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

You could still just start a fake Kickstarter, announce the project has failed, and pocket the money anyway.
I know, but returning the money makes it seem less like stealing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Don't high interest savings accounts usually have a steep fine or penalty if you want to withdraw all that money before X years have passed? :v:
You can do them for 6 months at a time.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bowmore posted:

I know, but returning the money makes it seem less like stealing.

I prefer the term "embezzling" because it has that aura of white-collar sophistication.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got a 20 pound box o' Deadzone shipment 2 today from Fedex.

" Dear James,

I saved this numbered book for someone who ordered lots of zombies - and I think 160 wins it :)

Thanks for backing Deadzone + making this happen! Stay (something), Ron and Jake (doodle of a zombie version of one of them saying "braaaains") "

A fancy little note inside my limited hardcover Deadzone rulebook #666 of 1000. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Captain Invictus posted:

Got a 20 pound box o' Deadzone shipment 2 today from Fedex.

" Dear James,

I saved this numbered book for someone who ordered lots of zombies - and I think 160 wins it :)

Thanks for backing Deadzone + making this happen! Stay (something), Ron and Jake (doodle of a zombie version of one of them saying "braaaains") "

A fancy little note inside my limited hardcover Deadzone rulebook #666 of 1000. :3:

I've found Mantic to be a most trustworthy company for KS campaigns. Their initial KoW project had some hiccups, but Deadzone has been a truly enjoyable experience.

• Locked thread