Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope when passbook is updated, there's an option to add cards that are not payment cards, or even swipeable cards, but just "information" cards. I'd like to add my two health insurance cards and my AAA card to passbook.

Granted, I could just take pictures of the cards and keep them in the photo library on my phone now, but where's the fun in that?

There are websites out there that will let you generate your own passbook cards. I haven't used any of them since passbook came out but a quick google search should bring up a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Where the heck is the setting for adding people for family sharing? I skipped it when setting up the phone until my GF got iOS 8, but now that she's updated I can't find the option anywhere.

EDIT: It's under iCloud.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 20, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Where the heck is the setting for adding people for family sharing? I skipped it when setting up the phone until my GF got iOS 8, but now that she's updated I can't find the option anywhere.

Does it work yet or not until Yosemite?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The iPhone 6 Thread: "That won't work until sometime in October."

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

I'm hearing a lot of noise about iphone 6+ (I think?) apps not looking very good when unoptimized. I haven't seen any visual evidence yet. Has anyone witness this? Care to post a photo or screenshot or whatever?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

arbybaconator posted:

I'm hearing a lot of noise about iphone 6+ (I think?) apps not looking very good when unoptimized. I haven't seen any visual evidence yet. Has anyone witness this? Care to post a photo or screenshot or whatever?
They're basically upscaled x2 and then downscaled a third of that so yeah I can see how it'd look a little gross.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

arbybaconator posted:

It happens on the 6, too. Basically just imagine an iPhone 5 size image that's been scaled up to the bigger screen. Things are just a little blurrier, it's still a perfectly cromulent user experience and better than the way they letterboxed older apps on the iPhone 5. It's going to be like when the Retina display first shipped and there was a month or so while everyone got their updates in.

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
Maybe I am on the koolaid but I got the 6 64gb space gray and man is this phone incredibly nice. Kudos to apple. It feels like a premium product, works great, no lag everything just works.

Hopefully awful gets updated to support new resolutions natively soon!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
This is the first iPhone launch I missed since the 4. Part of me feels like I need the 6 now, but I am trying to be patient and wait for the 6s. It helps I went out and purchased a 13 inch Macbook Air this week. It scratches that buying itch for now.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Does it work yet or not until Yosemite?

It works now. My whole family now has Goat Simulator thanks to one purchase by me.

I couldn't get the my 'purchased' apps to show up at all on other phones. Per Google I had to get them to download something off the App store (anything free), and once it did everyone was able to see my purchases. This is going to save my so much money since everyone in my family has an iPhone. Also nice to be able control the purchases of my kids.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

It happens on the 6, too. Basically just imagine an iPhone 5 size image that's been scaled up to the bigger screen. Things are just a little blurrier, it's still a perfectly cromulent user experience and better than the way they letterboxed older apps on the iPhone 5. It's going to be like when the Retina display first shipped and there was a month or so while everyone got their updates in.

Biggest problem is that the keyboard is scaled up vs. properly scaled apps.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

serebralassazin posted:

It's not officially out yet. It's kind of crap shoot if it works or not currently. I had it working when the iOS 8 GM came out but then it stopped. Supposed to officially go live next month in an update most likely around when Yosemite drops.

It's not really a crapshoot anymore. It specifically lists as being disabled in the latest releases.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yeah I'm not so ok with the old person's keyboard.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The 6 is so drat big. Like, it's almost too big, to be honest. It feels massive.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

nate fisher posted:

This is the first iPhone launch I missed since the 4. Part of me feels like I need the 6 now, but I am trying to be patient and wait for the 6s.

Yeah I'm itching for a bigger screen too, but I'm definitely waiting for the 6s. I'm hoping that OIS will make its way to the smaller model by then somehow. I've had phablets before so I could probably deal with something the size of the 6+ but I'd much rather get the smaller one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

The 6 is so drat big. Like, it's almost too big, to be honest. It feels massive.
It feels good to me without a case, but I'm not sure about with the official leather case. It looks really nice with the case and I like that it gives the phone a grippier texture, but it makes the phone just a little too big for me.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I made the obligatory "love my iPhone 6+!" post on Facebook with a photo of me with an iPad mini to my ear.

The absolute height of comedy, I tell you.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

OldSenileGuy posted:

I hope when passbook is updated, there's an option to add cards that are not payment cards, or even swipeable cards, but just "information" cards. I'd like to add my two health insurance cards and my AAA card to passbook.

Granted, I could just take pictures of the cards and keep them in the photo library on my phone now, but where's the fun in that?

Get the AAA app, it lets you add a digital version of your AAA card to passbook, and has for over a year.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Axim posted:

Get the AAA app, it lets you add a digital version of your AAA card to passbook, and has for over a year.

Do I have to keep the app installed to keep the pass in passbook? I have no need for a AAA app.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Did anyone manage to get a black on black iPhone 6 + silicon case? I need pics and searching Twitter is turning up nada.

EDIT: + meaning "and" I don't care for you Plus having giants with no morals.

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 20, 2014

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am handing my old 5 down to my wife. I backed up her 4s to iCloud and restored the 5 from it but it says no service. Do we need to get her a new SIM card?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I am handing my old 5 down to my wife. I backed up her 4s to iCloud and restored the 5 from it but it says no service. Do we need to get her a new SIM card?
You did take the sim out of the 4S and put it into the 5, right?

EDIT: If they don't use the same size SIM then you can either cut it down (search youtube) or go into your carrier store and get a new one.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

How did you get the 4S' micro-SIM into the 5's nano-SIM slot? Did you cut it?

Otherwise yes, you need a new SIM card.

edit: Also I believe you might need a new SIM anyway if it's not LTE-compatible. Some old SIMs won't work in a 5/5S/6/6S even if cut to size.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
No, I didn't transfer the sim at all. We will run out to AT&T tomorrow and get a new SIM for her.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

No, I didn't transfer the sim at all.
Oh, then yeah you need to go to AT&T. Cellular service is in no way associated with the device backup. Restoring one device's image to a new device won't transfer service.

AT&T might be able to do it over the phone considering the "new SIM" is just your old SIM, but it's probably just best to go into the store.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kitten smoothie posted:

It might be better on the 6, but on the 6 plus most apps feel waaaaay to big, like I've accidentally borrowed my grandparent's phone or something. I'm sure most will be updated soon (I've already gotten an update for one app) but what I'm concerned about are the apps that weren't even updated for the iPhone 5.

I actually went back into my iTunes history to find a few; I grabbed two apps that I knew hadn't been updated and was actually pleasantly surprised. One was Bloom, Brian Eno's ambient music creation app, and the other was Pix'n Love Rush. In both apps, the menus looked absolutely terrible-black bars and fuzzy graphics. But when I actually went into the "playable" aspect of both, I was shocked to find out that they didn't look half bad. Actually, I couldn't really tell that they had been made back in the day of the iPhone 4 (well, besides the black bars). It appears that the iPhone is telling apps that use Open GL "hey, render at this resolution instead!" somehow. Or maybe the smoothing that iOS 8 does works better in motion.

One other thing that I've noticed (as I'm editing this post) is that fixing errors is super difficult because I can't get the dang cursor to go where I want it to. I've found a workaround (select a word near the part you want to edit and then drag the sliders accordingly) but it's more work that necessary. I'm hoping that's a side effect of the scaling.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Do I have to keep the app installed to keep the pass in passbook? I have no need for a AAA app.

I'm pretty sure once you add it to passbook it stays.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

I grabbed two apps that I knew hadn't been updated and was actually pleasantly surprised.
Yeah I was actually pleasantly surprised by how most games scaled. I went back and grabbed Bean's Quest because that was always one of my favorite games and it's as crisp as ever, even though the app itself hasn't been updated for a couple years.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
The thing that gets me about the iPhone 6 Plus is that it's just bigger. Like, for example, with an iPad, developers had more real estate to work with, they could add nicer things etc etc. But with the 6 Plus, it's just what you get on the 6, but bigger. Maybe images are optimized for it at certain lengths, but it doesn't (or probably won't, rather) go beyond that.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody have ideas on when AT&T store will start getting 6+'s back in? Maybe I should have preordered after all..

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

noirstronaut posted:

The thing that gets me about the iPhone 6 Plus is that it's just bigger. Like, for example, with an iPad, developers had more real estate to work with, they could add nicer things etc etc. But with the 6 Plus, it's just what you get on the 6, but bigger. Maybe images are optimized for it at certain lengths, but it doesn't (or probably won't, rather) go beyond that.
Technically they could develop different layouts for 6+ versions of the app, but most apps don't seem like that would be viable.

Like the Facebook app for example. There's not much more you can do with it, so on the 6+ it's just gonna look like a goofy giant version of the regular app.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Technically they could develop different layouts for 6+ versions of the app, but most apps don't seem like that would be viable.

Like the Facebook app for example. There's not much more you can do with it, so on the 6+ it's just gonna look like a goofy giant version of the regular app.

I just installed Paper and it looks great on the 6 Plus. I couldn't actually imagine It on a smaller screen. Maybe the iPhone 5 version showed fewer cards along the bottom?

So yeah, developers are doing things with the bigger screen. It depends on how many people buy the 6 Plus, of course, but I'm optimistic.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

I just installed Paper and it looks great on the 6 Plus. I couldn't actually imagine It on a smaller screen. Maybe the iPhone 5 version showed fewer cards along the bottom?

So yeah, developers are doing things with the bigger screen. It depends on how many people buy the 6 Plus, of course, but I'm optimistic.
Certain apps lend themselves to a larger layout, while others are pretty rigid and stale.

Hopefully the shift to multiple screen sizes causes developers to actually put some thought into being creative with how they display content.

The Twitter and Facebook apps are pretty blah in the grand scheme of things.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Got it fully hooked up. Cannot wait for apps to be fully optimized. Love the feel of the phone in my hand. Got the 6 64gb space grey.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Certain apps lend themselves to a larger layout, while others are pretty rigid and stale.

Hopefully the shift to multiple screen sizes causes developers to actually put some thought into being creative with how they display content.

The Twitter and Facebook apps are pretty blah in the grand scheme of things.

Right, I phrased that badly. I meant that Paper seems to be an indication the big app designers are aware that their standard offerings aren't enough and they need to make more responsive and visually pleasing apps.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

They stopped shipping as of the 3GS, possible the 3G even.

My 6 came with one. It's in the little cardboard sleeve under the phone.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Laserface posted:

My 6 came with one. It's in the little cardboard sleeve under the phone.

I think they still package them in some regions, but definitely not the United Freedom Land

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

I think they still package them in some regions, but definitely not the United Freedom Land

Maybe it depends if it's locked or not? I only remember getting one with the original iPhone I think.

There's a drawerful at my workplace, so I completely forgot about them shipping with the phones.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

89 posted:

Anybody have ideas on when AT&T store will start getting 6+'s back in? Maybe I should have preordered after all..

I ordered a pair of 6's on Saturday evening through AT&T, and when I looked at the projected shipping date on the 6+ while debating if it was really worth it, it said mid to late november for an estimated shipping date.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

CommanderApaul posted:

I ordered a pair of 6's on Saturday evening through AT&T, and when I looked at the projected shipping date on the 6+ while debating if it was really worth it, it said mid to late november for an estimated shipping date.

Everyone will have a Samsung phone by then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

89 posted:

Local or website? My local AT&T store says they might have more tomorrow, I was told to check when they open.