Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

sleepingbuddha posted:

Same. Even if I copy link in app, it doesn't paste on Safari.

I'm also getting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah I've been getting links not opening/copying from Awful for a while, in the iOS8 betas and now in the GM as well.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Man, there's 710 smilies on the forum these days. Getting all those organized into categories and fit into a tiny iOS keyboard is gonna be a colossal effort. Not to mention what that's going to do for the size of the app or if all of those have to be cached in memory for the keyboard to work.

Only put the good ones on the keyboard.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xzzy posted:

Man, there's 710 smilies on the forum these days. Getting all those organized into categories and fit into a tiny iOS keyboard is gonna be a colossal effort. Not to mention what that's going to do for the size of the app or if all of those have to be cached in memory for the keyboard to work.

At least the emoji icons are all the same size. :v:

I'm sure we can figure something out. But it's a good warning that it'll probably be a trickier project than it may seem at first blush.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

pokeyman posted:

What do you mean? I don't think I've done anything to slow down refreshing, but I haven't done any profiling so I can't say that for sure.

It's strange, it was acting a bit slower than usual with refreshing last night after I updated it, and this morning around the time I posted here. As of now I'm playing with the app and it seems to be operating much better. It was the only complaint I've had of upgrading, your app working well was of greater concern to me than any of Apple's changes :).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

Only put the good ones on the keyboard.

I'd love to see stats on smiley usage stats on this site. I imagine the curve for most of them shows a huge spike when new then a long tail as it fades into disuse, but I'm sure there's a percentage of the popular ones that maintain a constant usage.

But it's possible I'm a nerd and no one else cares about that.

But if I ran the site that's what I would do to decide which ones to retire. :v:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Awful keyboard, a free standalone custom keyboard. You know it makes sense.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

I'd love to see stats on smiley usage stats on this site. I imagine the curve for most of them shows a huge spike when new then a long tail as it fades into disuse, but I'm sure there's a percentage of the popular ones that maintain a constant usage.

But it's possible I'm a nerd and no one else cares about that.

But if I ran the site that's what I would do to decide which ones to retire. :v:

Including a "recently used" and/or "favourites" tab on the smiley keyboard seems pretty obvious. I don't envision most people wandering through page after page of smileys with any frequency.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Nonsense posted:

It's strange, it was acting a bit slower than usual with refreshing last night after I updated it, and this morning around the time I posted here. As of now I'm playing with the app and it seems to be operating much better. It was the only complaint I've had of upgrading, your app working well was of greater concern to me than any of Apple's changes :).

That's interesting, I wasn't going to say anything until this post but a weird thing has been happening for me since upgrading to 8.

Awful works as great as it usually does on the mobile network, but on my wifi actions like refreshing my bookmarks or loading a thread take a long time or time out entirely. And then it will be fine for a brief time before happening again.

It may be that iOS 8 doesn't like something I have set on my wifi (I've tried on both my 2.4 and 5GHz APs) but other other apps are fine. I have completely removed and re-downloaded the app, I even tried a full iphone restore, thinking that the update may have screwed something up. No idea. I'll test on someone else's wifi when I can.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

gabensraum posted:

That's interesting, I wasn't going to say anything until this post but a weird thing has been happening for me since upgrading to 8.

Awful works as great as it usually does on the mobile network, but on my wifi actions like refreshing my bookmarks or loading a thread take a long time or time out entirely. And then it will be fine for a brief time before happening again.

It may be that iOS 8 doesn't like something I have set on my wifi (I've tried on both my 2.4 and 5GHz APs) but other other apps are fine. I have completely removed and re-downloaded the app, I even tried a full iphone restore, thinking that the update may have screwed something up. No idea. I'll test on someone else's wifi when I can.

That's happening on my home wifi as well, I thought it was just local congestion.

Also, obligatory "hey you need to resize literally all of your assets for iPhone 6" post.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

SKY COQ posted:

That's happening on my home wifi as well, I thought it was just local congestion.

I wondered that but seems unlikely since there are few wifi networks around my place. I've tried on multiple frequencies and on both N and AC, and Internet-wise I'm on 100mb NBN :rice:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I guess I've seen some of that too. Network requests that never seem to do much of anything, be it drop or error out or complete. Pulling for a refresh then succeeds instantly. I'll try to keep an eye out and figure out what to do about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those network hangs have been around for a long, long time. Cellular or wifi, it's always been there.

My only beef is that re-attempting the load doesn't cancel the original and eventually the error box pops up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

Those network hangs have been around for a long, long time. Cellular or wifi, it's always been there.

My only beef is that re-attempting the load doesn't cancel the original and eventually the error box pops up.

I can never decide if they actually come and go or if I just get used to them after awhile. Plus my wifi does seem to genuinely poo poo the bed sometimes. All I can say is if y'all keep complaining then eventually something will happen!

And the cancelling thing has been something I've wanted to do for awhile now, and I know how I'm gonna approach it, just gotta do it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pokeyman posted:

What do you mean? I don't think I've done anything to slow down refreshing, but I haven't done any profiling so I can't say that for sure.

The app got noticeably much slower after I installed iOS 8.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah some thread tags might look rough but I have a plan. For now (the ones remaining) I just ran a script to resize them to 400x400 and save them:

Took about 30 seconds and I just sat back and sipped a coffee. A lot of the text will resize great, none of the images will, curious how it will look. Things that look really bad I'm hoping we can do on a case by case and either redo the assets or use a sharpen filter.

The auto PDF scaling thing iOS8 is doing is interesting, I'm skeptical but I'd need to read the article about it first.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SKY COQ posted:

Awful keyboard, a free standalone custom keyboard. You know it makes sense.

I'd pay a couple bucks for one, actually. A friend of mine lurks SA and we'll sometimes just text emote codes to eachother. We know what they mean, but actually being able to use the emotes would be killer.

I initially thought that .gif keyboard would allow you to import your own and was psyched to be able to text :spergin: and :colbert: and :smuggo: to non-SA users. SA really has the best emotes.

So yeah, I for one would drop about $2.99 on an iOS Awful Emoji keyboard.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

theadder posted:

Same here unfortunately

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pokeyman posted:

I can never decide if they actually come and go or if I just get used to them after awhile. Plus my wifi does seem to genuinely poo poo the bed sometimes. All I can say is if y'all keep complaining then eventually something will happen!

And the cancelling thing has been something I've wanted to do for awhile now, and I know how I'm gonna approach it, just gotta do it.

My impression is that they're less common these days.. like in the last 6-9 months or so. Not really worth complaining about. The pre-iOS7 era was terrible for it, so I guess that means the networking code has improved over time. :v:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Has it been noted yet that copying images or image URLs doesn't seem to work on iOS 8?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Has it been noted yet that copying images or image URLs doesn't seem to work on iOS 8?

A lot of the buttons are broken in iOS 8. I believe the update to fix it has been submitted though, so it's just up to Apple now.

slashtom
Jan 5, 2012
VeteranX
Awesome application again. Also willing to pay for awful emoji keyboard. Looking forward to iPhone 6 asset update.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

slashtom posted:

Looking forward to iPhone 6 asset update.

Apologies in advance for the fact that the upcoming update will still have a mix of 2x and 3x assets.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Was there a full-screen version of this app at one point or am I just imagining things? I just bought a six and I feel like with the larger screen I'd love to have a full-screen mode so I can read LPs even more clearly.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

If anyone's making money off SA emotes, it won't be me.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Was there a full-screen version of this app at one point or am I just imagining things? I just bought a six and I feel like with the larger screen I'd love to have a full-screen mode so I can read LPs even more clearly.

That'll be fixed in the next version (currently Waiting for Review).

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

That'll be fixed in the next version (currently Waiting for Review).

I think he meant full screen mode as in hiding the toolbar and nav bar when reading a thread, and if that's in the next version you've hidden it pretty well :)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I really don't feel like reading the multitude of posts since the 6 was released, but is there an ETA on when the app will be optimized for it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

noirstronaut posted:

I really don't feel like reading the multitude of posts since the 6 was released, but is there an ETA on when the app will be optimized for it?

Current best guess is early December.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

I think he meant full screen mode as in hiding the toolbar and nav bar when reading a thread, and if that's in the next version you've hidden it pretty well :)

Oh.

Screen's still not big enough then?

noirstronaut posted:

It's "Waiting for Review". Based on past reviews I'd guess late next week.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Yeah I meant as in the navbar and other ui being hidden. It's weird but with a larger phone I want even more minimal ui space. It's hard to explain.

I think I remember that you used to be able to pinch and the app would hide the ui. That would be cool.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Disappointing Pie posted:

Yeah I meant as in the navbar and other ui being hidden. It's weird but with a larger phone I want even more minimal ui space. It's hard to explain.

I think I remember that you used to be able to pinch and the app would hide the ui. That would be cool.

It makes sense. I'd like to have it on my iPad, especially now that Safari shrinks its toolbar. The code is just such a pain to put together.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

theadder posted:

It took like two minutes to quote this post, you cant copy an image url anymore, and the app blocks out any music players. gently caress Tim

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

It took like two minutes to quote this post, you cant copy an image url anymore, and the app blocks out any music players. gently caress Tim

I haven't noticed the first or third issue (I haven't tried copying an image url yet).

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app to fix it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

lelandjs posted:

I haven't noticed the first or third issue (I haven't tried copying an image url yet).

Resetting your router?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I've only noticed Awful blocking the music or podcasts app after playing an embedded YouTube video, swapping over to the player app to restart the audio, then swapping back to Awful. Moving to a different page or a different thread before restarting the audio is my workaround.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

jackhunter64 posted:

I've only noticed Awful blocking the music or podcasts app after playing an embedded YouTube video, swapping over to the player app to restart the audio, then swapping back to Awful. Moving to a different page or a different thread before restarting the audio is my workaround.

The youtube app started doing this a couple months ago. It's goddamn infuriating because the only way to get my music to start playing again is to go into the Music app.

Point being this may not be an awful app problem.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I know you can't do Mac-to-iOS handoff without the server admins or a Mac app, but is iOS-to-Mac and iOS-to-iOS in the pipeline?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
This page seems to break horizontal swipe navigation (5s, iOS 8, current app store version of awful). I wonder if it's something to do with the quantity of zalgo text?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

lelandjs posted:

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Yeah quoting and posting takes forever. Also refreshing the bookmark site. This is only on wifi though. LTE works like before.

Edit: Jesus I had to turn off wifi to make this post. I had a timeout waiting for the preview so I just disabled wifi and hit post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Bug:

Making an edit to a post, then trying to back out and either save or delete your edit does nothing.

You're forced to save the edit to get out of the menu.

• Locked thread