Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ramos posted:

TNN would probably be a staple for Fish and similar decks. It hasn't exactly stopped a lot of combo strategies that make up Legacy. Control strategies are also doing perfectly well. There's even aggressive decks that handle it just fine in the form of Death and Taxes and recently Infect.

It's a solid creature, but being near invincible doesn't win games in Legacy.

Mutavault can be argued to be format warping, but compared to some of the past examples people have named, it hasn't nearly cratered Standard enough (or at all). It's a land drop that's also a creature and is pretty resistant to sorcery speed removal.

The interesting thing is that control strategies (meaning here, specifically Miracles) has been doing well almost as a direct consequence *of* True-Name Nemesis. Like, it's very difficult to justify running a creature deck that doesn't have access to TNN, and Terminus is probably the best answer to it there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

Every deck running a certain card as a four of doesn't define it as format warping either, just that they want that effect consistently. It's a poor measuring stick for warping considering that a lot of decks want four of with many things and even makes Supreme Verdict just as format warping if not more so.

And if we define format warping as "An effect wizards doesn't want or wasn't expecting" then every standard is warped in some fashion and has produced some of the most interesting decks we've had. See Blue Green Madness and Astral Slide.

So let's not use Mark Rosewater as a measuring stick for things. It's alright to say you don't like the card, but let's not go and say that it warps standard around it. Umezawa's Jitte warped a standard, Revelation hasn't.

By the way you're defining "format warping," then I would agree with you and say no, its not format warping.

I don't really have a problem with the card; I'm just speculating on why they might not want to reprint a card like that into standard.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

We quickly found out how good Ashiok and Villainous wealth is. The first match we played has such highlights as him casting Villainous wealth for 5 on turn 6 thanks to two Caryatids. He got Chandra, Courser, and Sarkhan. He then dropped my Sagu Mauler on me from Ashiok. The removal suite is awesome with Charm, Downfall, and Bile blight, and those with the fetches just power out late game empty the pits for 9 zombies. Sideboard of course has back to nature to combat constellation, drown in sorrow, the 4th bile blight, and clever impersonator (note on clever impersonator: he's really really great, but he almost always copies your opponent's planeswalker, which almost requires that you are behind in the game. This is a good thing. Play him.
Sounds fun but I'm still on the Clever Impersonator is a great 1 of in a deck, terrible as a 3-4 of.

The fun thing about a BUG deck like this is that you can overwhelm removal in 1 turn.

Korak fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 20, 2014

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

The interesting thing is that control strategies (meaning here, specifically Miracles) has been doing well almost as a direct consequence *of* True-Name Nemesis. Like, it's very difficult to justify running a creature deck that doesn't have access to TNN, and Terminus is probably the best answer to it there is.

?

Death and Taxes and Elves are a thing, and while any Delver deck has access to TNN it's very rarely run as more than a 2-of even in UWR, the variant most likely to run it by a wde margin. RUG and BUG don't usually bother with it. The deck that runs the most copies is Fish, which is generally considered to be a very "eh" deck choice at the moment, and TNN is not essential to that deck's success. TNN definitely has a noticeable effect on the creature and removal choices of many Legacy decks, but it doesn't really have very much to do with Miracles being a fantastic deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

They've already been combating the archetype by making basically all creature decks incredibly threat dense, and almost all decks are creature decks now. There aren't a lot of great counters or cantrips, just the huge effect on Sphinx's. I sort of hate haymaker Standard.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I've always had an on-again-off-again relationship with Magic over the years, but I've finally decided to knuckle down with 2015. I bought myself a Toolkit and a few boosters, so I'm at the stage where I'm deciding what kind of deck to build. Apparently my first pick, Blue/Green, was a fairly bizarre choice, so I'm wondering if I could get some basic deck archetypes I could make with Core Set cards.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

LGD posted:

?

Death and Taxes and Elves are a thing, and while any Delver deck has access to TNN it's very rarely run as more than a 2-of even in UWR, the variant most likely to run it by a wde margin. RUG and BUG don't usually bother with it. The deck that runs the most copies is Fish, which is generally considered to be a very "eh" deck choice at the moment, and TNN is not essential to that deck's success. TNN definitely has a noticeable effect on the creature and removal choices of many Legacy decks, but it doesn't really have very much to do with Miracles being a fantastic deck.

D&T and Elves are a thing, but they're also a prison deck and a combo deck, respectively. You rarely see midrange green decks anymore, where Maverick and Jund used to be things depending on the meta. The deck that runs the most *copies* of True-Name might be Fish but the card's best home is the midrange blue Stoneforge decks because it's the specific interaction of TNN with Legacy-playable equipment that's nigh-impossible to beat on the board. Miracles was an almost fringey presence in Legacy between the printing of Abrupt Decay and the adoption of True-Name Nemesis.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sphinx's Revelation wasn't format warping. It was archetype warping. There was no reason to play any control or late game deck without it (for its duration in Standard).

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Sphinx's Revelation wasn't format warping. It was archetype warping. There was no reason to play any control or late game deck without it (for its duration in Standard).

Opportunity was in M14 and nobody cared :smith:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Alabaster White posted:

I've always had an on-again-off-again relationship with Magic over the years, but I've finally decided to knuckle down with 2015. I bought myself a Toolkit and a few boosters, so I'm at the stage where I'm deciding what kind of deck to build. Apparently my first pick, Blue/Green, was a fairly bizarre choice, so I'm wondering if I could get some basic deck archetypes I could make with Core Set cards.
You're in luck, the most recent "starter deck for beginners all in one box" was actually in blue-green. See if you can find this at your local shop or just grab it online:
http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Card-Game-2015/dp/B00KXY3NS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411172048&sr=8-1&keywords=m15+clash+pack

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Attorney at Funk posted:

D&T and Elves are a thing, but they're also a prison deck and a combo deck, respectively. You rarely see midrange green decks anymore, where Maverick and Jund used to be things depending on the meta. The deck that runs the most *copies* of True-Name might be Fish but the card's best home is the midrange blue Stoneforge decks because it's the specific interaction of TNN with Legacy-playable equipment that's nigh-impossible to beat on the board. Miracles was an almost fringey presence in Legacy between the printing of Abrupt Decay and the adoption of True-Name Nemesis.

Yes, most decks in Legacy that run creatures tend to do more with them than just engage in blind aggression. You'd be very hard pressed to find a reasonable definition of "creature deck" that excluded both D&T and Elves without a) reserving that label almost entirely for decks that are wildly uncompetitive and b) also excluding TNN-Stoneblade decks.

Decks wax and wane in popularity for a variety of reasons, even if there aren't any earthshaking changes to the card pool. Neither (Dark) Maverick or Jund are particularly poorly suited to combat TNN, and midrange TNN & Stoneblade decks are not an oppressively dominant portion of the metagame either by volume or by wins. Given the performance of the various decks I really don't buy the notion that the omnipresent spectre of TNN is what is keeping Maverick/Jund down and Miracles on top.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
TNN for about three months or so was pretty drat dominant until Conspiracy got released and there are more tools now to deal with it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

LGD posted:

Yes, most decks in Legacy that run creatures tend to do more with them than just engage in blind aggression. You'd be very hard pressed to find a reasonable definition of "creature deck" that excluded both D&T and Elves without a) reserving that label almost entirely for decks that are wildly uncompetitive and b) also excluding TNN-Stoneblade decks.

Decks wax and wane in popularity for a variety of reasons, even if there aren't any earthshaking changes to the card pool. Neither (Dark) Maverick or Jund are particularly poorly suited to combat TNN, and midrange TNN & Stoneblade decks are not an oppressively dominant portion of the metagame either by volume or by wins. Given the performance of the various decks I really don't buy the notion that the omnipresent spectre of TNN is what is keeping Maverick/Jund down and Miracles on top.

What do you think is the cause of Miracles's resurgence this year?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Korak posted:

TNN for about three months or so was pretty drat dominant until Conspiracy got released and there are more tools now to deal with it.

"More tools" was literally just Council's Judgement, which provided minor help to the deck Attorney at Funk is claiming rose to ascendancy on the back of its already superior performance against TNN. TNN clearly has had a major impact on the format, was really trendy/popular for a while, and it took some time for people to figure out how to deal with. But "creature decks" that don't run TNN vastly exceed the number of those that do, and it seems really wrongheaded to explain Miracles current ascendance and Jund/Mavericks sidelining purely as a consequence of Stoneblade decks becoming stronger with the addition of TNN when tournament data suggests that Stoneblade decks are a smaller and less dominant portion of the metagame than they were before TNN was introduced.

edit:

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's got reasonable game against basically every top deck in the format and has gotten more popular through strong tournament showings/Joe Losset/list refinements/faddishness. There is a reasonable chance it could always have been about this good. And it was always fairly popular- going by MTG Top8 data the Stoneblade decks you're hyping as the ideal home of TNN are currently about as "fringe" as U/W Miracles ever was.

Why is Infect doing so well right now when it wasn't before?

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 20, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
drat, I missed prerelease clan chat? I would go Mardu since they seem to fit the way I like to play, but last prerelease I went to (Theros) I went with the black sealed pool, then pulled a Temple of Triumph, Chained to the Rocks, and TWO Stormbreath Dragons. And went 1-3 playing RW :negative: So I'm wary of RWB right now, I'll probably go Temur since I'm a Timmy at heart.

Also, I traded a friend a couple cheap Modern cards and he, feeling like he was getting way more in the deal than I, gave me an oversized Griselbrand card he had lying around-

Any idea why Wizards printed this? It reminds me of the large Commander cards in the decks Wizards puts out, but I don't recall Grizzlebees being in one of those, nor does it have a different set icon. AVR prerelease swag maybe?

E: Actually with a picture now.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 20, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Prerelease is in mere hours for me. :dance: Can't wait to finally get it on with wedges, oh yes!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

drat, I missed prerelease clan chat? I would go Mardu since they seem to fit the way I like to play, but last prerelease I went to (Theros) I went with the black sealed pool, then pulled a Temple of Triumph, Chained to the Rocks, and TWO Stormbreath Dragons. And went 1-3 playing RW :negative: So I'm wary of RWB right now, I'll probably go Temur since I'm a Timmy at heart.

Also, I traded a friend a couple cheap Modern cards and he, feeling like he was getting way more in the deal than I, gave me an oversized Griselbrand card he had lying around-

Any idea why Wizards printed this? It reminds me of the large Commander cards in the decks Wizards puts out, but I don't recall Grizzlebees being in one of those, nor does it have a different set icon. AVR prerelease swag maybe?

I believe that was an AVR prerelease gimmick, one of the possible things inside the helvault.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ramos posted:

Prerelease is in mere hours for me. :dance: Can't wait to finally get it on with wedges, oh yes!
Oh poo poo I didn't know that the pre-release was today, thought it was next week.
I guess that's it for going to it twice. Oh well, once will be enough.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

LGD posted:

One of the secrets about legacy is that most of the top decks are about equal. If you're playing force, brainstorm and you have a plan you have a deck that can win any tournament. Once you get past that everybody is doing powerful things and can win out of nowhere.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

neetengie posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know that the pre-release was today, thought it was next week.
I guess that's it for going to it twice. Oh well, once will be enough.

Well, there is always Saturday? I honestly usually skip out on midnight releases since sleep is way too nice to miss out on. The main reason I'm going this time is wedges.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I've been away from MTGO for a while and finally downloaded the new version, and I can't seem to find where my net decks were saved, my locally saved decks are there though. Googling doesn't help, so I'm assuming it's something retarded that I'm missing, but where can I find them?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Attorney at Funk posted:

Would you consider TNN warping in Legacy by this metric, or does it have to be negative enough to merit banning (like, Mental Misstep, for example) to qualify? Is a format-warping card always better off banned?

TNN is pushing the non-blue decks creature decks down, like Maverick and Jund.

Attorney at Funk posted:

Attorney at Funk posted:

Miracles originally got good because it had a good Zoo and Maverick matchup, and once those started dying off, the only creature decks were the BUG and Esper good-stuff decks that could play creatures that generated enough value to not just lose after 1 terminus. Then Deathrite and Shardless Agent got printed, making a card advantage engine that could overcome getting wrathed. Then TNN was printed, and its just a slower Nimble Mongoose as far as Miracles is concerned, which was almost a non-issue. TNN has definitely helped Miracles get better in the meta though, because Goblins and Thresh were the hardest matchups, and TNN beats up on those decks hard, but it was always good, just not obviously one of the best.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I've been away from MTGO for a while and finally downloaded the new version, and I can't seem to find where my net decks were saved, my locally saved decks are there though. Googling doesn't help, so I'm assuming it's something retarded that I'm missing, but where can I find them?

Your net decks are stored online, and you should be able to see them in the new client. If you still have decks saved on your computer, they should be in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Magic Online\3.0\Decks.

Import your local decks by selecting Add Deck in the Collection tab. You can select multiple decks and import multiple at a time.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The most recent card recently in Legacy that would be format-warping was Mental Misstep. Say what you will about Abrupt Decay or True-Name Nemesis or whatever, but those don't make 7 out of 8 decks in a top eight have a playset of it while the 8th is specifically designed around bricking it like Mental Misstep.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

TNN is pushing the non-blue decks creature decks down, like Maverick and Jund.

Miracles originally got good because it had a good Zoo and Maverick matchup, and once those started dying off, the only creature decks were the BUG and Esper good-stuff decks that could play creatures that generated enough value to not just lose after 1 terminus. Then Deathrite and Shardless Agent got printed, making a card advantage engine that could overcome getting wrathed. Then TNN was printed, and its just a slower Nimble Mongoose as far as Miracles is concerned, which was almost a non-issue. TNN has definitely helped Miracles get better in the meta though, because Goblins and Thresh were the hardest matchups, and TNN beats up on those decks hard, but it was always good, just not obviously one of the best.

Yeah, this is what I'm saying.

LGD posted:

It looks really rickety on paper and its signature cards aren't ones that see a lot of play in Legacy (Berserk, Invigorate, Inkmoth Nexus) so it had a really low profile relative to the fact that it's a deck that can present a turn 2 kill along with a Wasteland/Daze/Force disruption plan. I think Tom Ross's success, along with his specific innovations (like the Crop Rotation package) have done a lot both to demonstrate the power of Legacy Infect and to give it some extra angles that the all-in Modern style Infect decks with more pump spells didn't have.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Any advice for someone recently returned to the game after a long hiatus for the khans prerelease? I chose Mardu fwiw.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Deviant posted:

Any advice for someone recently returned to the game after a long hiatus for the khans prerelease? I chose Mardu fwiw.

Combat damage isn't on the stack anymore, which is still taking some getting used to on my end.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Combat damage isn't on the stack anymore, which is still taking some getting used to on my end.

I just know at some point I'm going to, say, block Chief of the Edge with facedown Sidisi's Pet and expect it to be able to both kill the Chief and survive.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Applebees posted:

Your net decks are stored online, and you should be able to see them in the new client. If you still have decks saved on your computer, they should be in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Wizards of the Coast\Magic Online\3.0\Decks.

Import your local decks by selecting Add Deck in the Collection tab. You can select multiple decks and import multiple at a time.

Thanks a lot, I had it backwards, it was my net decks that were showing up and I had to import my local decks how you said

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Carrasco posted:

I just know at some point I'm going to, say, block Chief of the Edge with facedown Sidisi's Pet and expect it to be able to both kill the Chief and survive.

Now I have to unlearn stack combat damage in relation to morph, since I was playing standard during Onslaught block. I guess it won't be as hard to do as with sacrificed creatures (rip mogg fanatic)

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

C-Euro posted:

As mentioned, this is from the AVR prerelease, which also had oversized Avacyn and the three multicolor angel legends. This is in addition to the oversize Commander and Commmander's Arsenal cards. Nobody is sure why they keep doing this. MaRo has claimed that people like them, but I've literally never seen or talked to anyone who used them, so ???

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Ramos posted:

Well, there is always Saturday? I honestly usually skip out on midnight releases since sleep is way too nice to miss out on. The main reason I'm going this time is wedges.
That's what I meant by "once will be enough".

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I haven't preregged or reserved a wedge or anything, so I'm probably going to roll down to my FLGS a little before midnight and if the Abzan is all gone I'll just come back another time. :v:

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Just woke up after doing FNM and a midnight prerelease.

Chose Abzan, got a Duneblast as my seeded pack rare and High Sentinels in another pack, plus a couple of the common outlast synergists and a bunch of on-colour fixing in my random boosters.

Deck ended up with a number of good white creatures, removal (Duneblast, Rite of the Serpent, Murderous Cut and Dead Drop) and a bunch of sweet fatties.
The deck basically plays out as a slow control deck, then pump up some creatures with Dragonscale Boon and then swing in a for a bunch of lifelink damage. Loved it, but probably gonna try Sultai tomorrow, to see how far you can push Delve and self-mill.

As someone else earlier said, Khans is fairly slow - there are a lot of big butts at common and Abzan looks popular. But Mardu can have some incredibly explosive starts if they hit an ascendency and a token generator or 2. I'm loving Khans limited though, I think it's a lot more interesting than Theros' 'buff up one big heroic guy lol'

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Outlast is a busted as hell mechanic in limited and all you haters can suck it.

Source: three prereleases deep in Australua and sick to death of Abzan Falconer and High Sentinels of Arashin

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ungulateman posted:

Source: three prereleases deep in Australua and sick to death of Abzan Falconer and High Sentinels of Arashin

High Sentinels would be nuts in a format w/o outlast. Seems like a really unfair card.

e:in limited

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011

ungulateman posted:

How did your Jeskai Bestai deck end up last night? Also what clans did you run today?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

High Sentinels is totally absurd.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

This goes for about 80 dollars at my LGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

4 bucks near mint online.

• Locked thread