Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sunset posted:

Nice apologism.
*sigh*
The only reason the 35 feet was brought up in the first place was as a PR move, the police are clearly being overly protectionist of the officer, and, with my current understanding of the facts of the case, I think it's incredibly unlikely that Brown's killing wasn't a crime of some sort, and I'm leaning towards murder rather some form of manslaughter (though I would want the real reconstruction of events to be presented in court before I'd be willing to make that call definitively).

I'm not a supporter of the actions of this police force, I'm just not sure what they said is technically a "bald-faced lie", because I have no idea how they were intending to use the words "scene" or "the shooting" in their statement. Upon trying to actually reason through what they were trying to say, I have no idea what the sentence means because it was worded so stupidly.

The fact remains that there wasn't any reason for them to bring it up AT ALL except to make the use of force sound justified, which is ridiculous protectionism.

Just because I don't believe that every point that is demonizing the police force is definitely accurate doesn't mean I want them to get medals for killing this dangerous criminal god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

*sigh*
The only reason the 35 feet was brought up in the first place was as a PR move, the police are clearly being overly protectionist of the officer, and, with my current understanding of the facts of the case, I think it's incredibly unlikely that Brown's killing wasn't a crime of some sort, and I'm leaning towards murder rather some form of manslaughter (though I would want the real reconstruction of events to be presented in court before I'd be willing to make that call definitively).

I'm not a supporter of the actions of this police force, I'm just not sure what they said is technically a "bald-faced lie", because I have no idea how they were intending to use the words "scene" or "the shooting" in their statement. Upon trying to actually reason through what they were trying to say, I have no idea what the sentence means because it was worded so stupidly.

The fact remains that there wasn't any reason for them to bring it up AT ALL except to make the use of force sound justified, which is ridiculous protectionism.

Just because I don't believe that every point that is demonizing the police force is definitely accurate doesn't mean I want them to get medals for killing this dangerous criminal god drat.

Hey, if that's the case then I really do apologize for taking your post in the wrong light. If you had added a bit more initially like you did here, I'd have been a lot less likely to think you were being dismissive. I'm just really disheartened that much is going to come from any of this. I'd like to think that one day we'll all stop hating each other though.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

You should, by default, assume the police to be lying about anything and everything.

edit: lol at my new title

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
bassguitarhero you should also check out your video comments. You aren't black enough for this poo poo.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
What did you do, BGH?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Petr posted:

It's pretty easy to determine who belongs to the first group. If a person complains about "Tumblr SJWs," using those terms, they are a person who complains about Tumblr SJWs. Pretty well-defined group. The bad thing that they are doing is complaining about Tumblr SJWs.
The group is easy to define, but it's obvious that complaining isn't the bad thing they are doing:

Petr posted:

Most people who complain about "Tumblr SJWs" would lump you in with them simply for talking about race.
No one cares about people who complain about a poorly defined group, that isolated would be a stupid thing to care about (they could be using an entirely different definition of "SJW" as you, again see SectumSempra's post where they are defined as bad edit: Also the people you are talking about are very definitely using a different definition). You care about people who lump people into "Tumblr SJWs" based on talking about race, and are using "people who complain about "Tumblr SJWs"" as a proxy. I happen to think that caring about how people who lump people into "Tumblr SJWs" is also a waste of time, but it at least has an intersection with discussing race which makes it barely relevant.

twodot fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 19, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Petr posted:

What did you do, BGH?

Pissed off a bunch of closet racist MRAs

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

bassguitarhero posted:

Wouldn't that make you a misandrist?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

bassguitarhero posted:

Or SASS. They get a huge erection and $10's of dollars to spend when a minority gets killed.

E: wait, you aren't black enough, according to a mostly-white Internet? Lmao

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I improved it. Trolls need to troll harder.

Armani posted:

Or SASS. They get a huge erection and $10's of dollars to spend when a minority gets killed.

E: wait, you aren't black enough, according to a mostly-white Internet? Lmao

People troll however they can. Some person that follows me from gawker to the bold italic to youtube was writing, "Does this film assuage your half-white guilt?" And then I'm racist against white people. It's weird.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Leave J-Law alone :qq:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Who What Now posted:

Wouldn't that make you a misandrist?

You're giving MRAs too much credit.

Or not enough if the "victim blaming" allegation is where someone tried claiming "I totally was raped by this drunk girl, I meant to try calming her down with those roofies" and BGH like a normal person was skeptical of that story and asked how a girl on roofies could overpower a 300-lb neckbeard and his fedora.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
MRAs really need to make up their minds about whether misogyny is real or not. I'm getting too dizzy for this.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So bored of talking about Mike Brown that we're now just importing SASS/reddit drama.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

FAUXTON posted:

You're giving MRAs too much credit.

Or not enough if the "victim blaming" allegation is where someone tried claiming "I totally was raped by this drunk girl, I meant to try calming her down with those roofies" and BGH like a normal person was skeptical of that story and asked how a girl on roofies could overpower a 300-lb neckbeard and his fedora.

Because BGH surely knows GHB.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Christ. SO NO NEW NEWS ON THE MIKE BROWN CASE EH?

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Jesus Christ. SO NO NEW NEWS ON THE MIKE BROWN CASE EH?

You've successfully passed reading comprehension 101, congrats.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
He went a bit nuts in the Politoons thread.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 19, 2014

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I don't know much about handguns. Looking at the autopsy, is that an expected "spread" at 35 feet? 100?

There's gotta be stress involved, so I'm not expecting all the wounds to be in a quarter size space, I was just wondering what someone that knew more than me thought about it.

(Forgive the term "spread" if that's disrespectful to Brown, but I didn't know a better term.)

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cool who cares.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

RodShaft posted:

I don't know much about handguns. Looking at the autopsy, is that an expected "spread" at 35 feet? 100?

There's gotta be stress involved, so I'm not expecting all the wounds to be in a quarter size space, I was just wondering what someone that knew more than me thought about it.

(Forgive the term "spread" if that's disrespectful to Brown, but I didn't know a better term.)

It is remarkably accurate for a policeman.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Neo Duckberg posted:

It is remarkably accurate for a policeman.
If he was indeed shot from 100' away it's remarkably accurate for anyone.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RodShaft posted:

There's really no way to create a general "expected spread" for every situation. Shooters, guns, and situations all have so many variables that a mathematician would commit suicide trying to figure it out. Some people have fired half a dozen rounds at a guy arm's length away and missed every single shot or only caused slight grazing wounds, while others have successfully put three rounds dead center from 50 feet. It all depends on the shooter, situation, and weapon.

It would be remarkable to an unusual degree if Brown was in the middle of a gunfight with Wilson. It's not as unexpected if Brown was, say, surrendering and either standing still or slowly walking forwards to provide a barely moving target. It's even possible that some of those hits came from the initial shooting while Brown fled and Wilson took the time to aim, meaning fewer hits were made at 100 feet. It's pretty acceptable accuracy for someone who's not NYPD.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
The shooting happened 100ft from the SUV. Why anyone thinks this means the officer shot from 100 feet is beyond me - all the witnesses have him chasing after/close to Brown. This was pointed out two pages ago.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

twodot posted:

The group is easy to define, but it's obvious that complaining isn't the bad thing they are doing:

No one cares about people who complain about a poorly defined group, that isolated would be a stupid thing to care about (they could be using an entirely different definition of "SJW" as you, again see SectumSempra's post where they are defined as bad edit: Also the people you are talking about are very definitely using a different definition). You care about people who lump people into "Tumblr SJWs" based on talking about race, and are using "people who complain about "Tumblr SJWs"" as a proxy. I happen to think that caring about how people who lump people into "Tumblr SJWs" is also a waste of time, but it at least has an intersection with discussing race which makes it barely relevant.

SJW is just the latest way to "politely" call someone a race traitor.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Hodgepodge posted:

SJW is just the latest way to "politely" call someone a race traitor.

Not fair!

(sometimes it means gender traitor)

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.

Choadmaster posted:

The shooting happened 100ft from the SUV. Why anyone thinks this means the officer shot from 100 feet is beyond me - all the witnesses have him chasing after/close to Brown. This was pointed out two pages ago.

Shaun King's theory has it that the first burst of shots was from farther away than the magic 35-foot distance, and most or all of them went wild. Then Brown stopped and surrendered, and THEN Wilson approached and shot him at closer range. This is especially sad because it means that if Brown hadn't surrendered, he might not have died.

It doesn't even really matter, though, because whether or not Wilson and Brown were close to each other, they didn't both GET to be 100 feet away from the car without Brown running away.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Petr posted:

It's pretty easy to determine who belongs to the first group. If a person complains about "Tumblr SJWs," using those terms, they are a person who complains about Tumblr SJWs. Pretty well-defined group. The bad thing that they are doing is complaining about Tumblr SJWs.

twodot posted:

Using the term "social justice warrior" is a problem in itself because it casts "social justice" as a pejoritive and serves to portray the whole concept of social justice itself in a negative light. It doesn't matter if a person intends to trivialize social justice or not, that's exactly what they're doing when they use the term "social justice warrior"/SJW.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This is my favorite thread. Not ironically, but actually. If a person not in touch to anything would read this from start to finish, it would be a trip through the 1800's to modern policing and emergency response, touching firearms, small unit tactics, racism, misandry, feminism, politics, parties, chauvinism and overall pretty much any relevant topic of the modern society. Even economics and social policy.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

This is my favorite thread. Not ironically, but actually. If a person not in touch to anything would read this from start to finish, it would be a trip through the 1800's to modern policing and emergency response, touching firearms, small unit tactics, racism, misandry, feminism, politics, parties, chauvinism and overall pretty much any relevant topic of the modern society. Even economics and social policy.

Only in America. :patriot:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I will always cherish whoever it was that showed up and was like "whew hey guys I just ran home from class any cool twitch livestreams of riots for tonight?"

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

theflyingorc posted:

I'm still not convinced we can say that, because the wording the PD used was so poor and weird that I'm not even sure what they were trying to say about the state of the crime scene. They either didn't choose their words carefully or they carefully chose words to sound like they meant something without actually meaning anything.

Yeah, you're right. I just watched the presser, and the PD's description of the scene comes across as PR weaseling: 35 feet to "the shooting" is so ambiguous, they can definitely walk it back if they get called out. To the average listener it implies 35 feet between the vehicle and where Brown took the bullets, but it could also mean 35 feet from the vehicle to where Wilson unloaded his handgun, or any number of things in between.

Still, Brown's body being 100 feet from the vehicle ought to complicate the defense. There are only two possible scenarios. Either Wilson stood at the door of his car and fired at a man ~100 feet away (not likely), in which case he can't argue that he was directly threatened by Brown, or he gave pursuit to Brown (very likely), in which case he'll be hard-pressed to argue that he wasn't in control of the situation and was in fear for his life.

Cichlid the Loach posted:

It doesn't even really matter, though, because whether or not Wilson and Brown were close to each other, they didn't both GET to be 100 feet away from the car without Brown running away.

Exactly.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bassguitarhero posted:

new troll checking in

The problem with cultural criticism is that for idiots, it's hard to tell the incisive and thought-provoking kind with the lazy slapdash kind made in crippled imitation. This seems to be true for both conservatives and leftists, both of whom seem uninterested or incapable when it comes to distinguishing the dross from the silver, perhaps because they seem to use it mostly to get their mad on("white privilege:mad:!"/"reverse racism:freep:!")

demonicon
Mar 29, 2011
So if I were to go on vacation to the United States. How likely is it that I will be killed by your police?

I am asking because I am planning to go on vacation the end of this year.

My girlfriend is german but her family comes from Palestine. Would she have any problems?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

demonicon posted:

So if I were to go on vacation to the United States. How likely is it that I will be killed by your police?

My girlfriend is german but her family comes from Palestine. Would she have any problems?

Sort of depends on where you were planning to go. A lot of nasty stuff happens in the deep south and small towns but some major city PDs are god damned terrible.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

demonicon posted:

You will be fine. Don't let the media blowing this out of proportion affect your plans.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Most people who get killed by the police spent at least a couple decades in the US before it actually happened to them. You'll probably survive a vacation there.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Haven't seen this posted here yet; an Independence, Missouri (on the other side of the state, basically Kansas City, Missouri) police officer tazed and then dropped a 17 year old white kid to the ground because he didn't roll down his window during a traffic stop. He's currently in a medically induced coma as the officer tazed him in the chest, which stopped his heart. He probably has significant brain damage as well but he'll live. The one good aspect of the whole situation is his father is a police officer as well, so there's a better chance something will come of it, eventually.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article2126594.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

demonicon posted:

Any sort of urban area will be fine. The police only really harass people in the US equivalent of the Turkish ghettos in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Sort of depends on where you were planning to go. A lot of nasty stuff happens in the deep south and small towns but some major city PDs are god damned terrible.

Oh for gently caress sake, are you serious?
This your response to a person asking if he is gonna get shot by the police on their vacation?

He is not gonna get shot by cops , or by anyone, anywhere. Jesus Christ.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 20, 2014

• Locked thread