Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Gadamer posted:

I'm feeling a little dense because I can't figure out whether I'm on Mobile Share Value or not.

I have 3 phones on my plan, and here's the breakdown:

Phone 1:
FamilyTalk Nation 550 w/ Rollover, $50
DataPro 3GB $30
Family Messaging Unlimited $30

Phone 2:
FamilyTalk $10
DataPro 2GB $25

Phone 3:
FamilyTalk $10
Data Unlimited $30

I'm guessing as nothing on here says Mobile Share, I'm not. Or is it the structure of the plan that makes this so?

Reposting this for Duckman2008 to check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Each line has its own data plan, so no. Mobile Share is you get a pool of data to share between everything.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Duckman: I have 450 rollover, (with a school discount) with the $5.00 text plan and the old unlimited data plan.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rick posted:

Duckman: I have 450 rollover, (with a school discount) with the $5.00 text plan and the old unlimited data plan.
I have the same plan as you and it only made sense to switch if I went with the 2GB plan. Even then, it was a small gain. But I think that required including resale value of $350 for a phone 1 generation old (like the 5S now) and $250 for a phone 2 generations old.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
I have 450 minutes, unlimited data and I thought my next 2 year upgrade was coming later this fall. However, I just found out that it isn't until May 2015 :argh:

If I really want to get an iPhone 6 are my only options to upgrade with AT&T Next (which would ultimately cost me more money) or wait until May? I suppose the smarter choice would be to wait until next fall to sync up my upgrade cycle with the iPhone *S releases.

edit: I just looked at my usage since getting my current phone and I average 1.6 GB per month, however I have gone over 2.0 GB several times (including 3 of the last 4 months). I guess another option would be to switch to a 2 GB mobile share plan, my current bill is $83. I wish AT&T could offer a 3 GB plan, that would be pretty much perfect.

Streebs fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 16, 2014

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Are there "official" APN settings for AT&T? My wife has a Nokia Lumia 520 (a fantastic Go Phone, BTW) on our mobile share plan. She can't send or receive MMS, and I don't think data works most times either. I turned off WiFi at home and was able to go to google.com, but it's connected to a microcell, so I don't know how that works.

Anyway, currently for Internet APN it has APN - wap.cingular, then nothing for User name, Password, Authentication type (which is greyed out, I guess because I don't have a user/pass) proxy server (URL) or proxy port.

For MMS APN, the APN is wap.cingular, user/pass/authentication type blank. WAP Gateway (URL) and port are blank. MMSC (URL) is http://mmsc.cingular.com with port 80. Maximum MMS size is blank.

When I chatted with AT&T about it last time, the lady literally told me to google it. Another chat got me a microcell, so it wasn't all a loss, but I still don't think the APN stuff is right.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
So my wife and I sat down with an AT&T rep last night and he went over what NEXT was all about. We think it might be better for us to forgo the old grandfathered unlimited data plan and switch to the 10gig data bucket plan. We did discover that her employer gives a 24% discount, so we need to figure out how to transfer the billing responsibility over to her so that she can use her FAN discount. The AT&T rep said that we should do that ourselves online at home, because they charge $40 to do it in store. What is the best way to do this without loving everything up? Also, if we change from a FamilyTalk 750 plan to a NEXT plan with a 10 gig data bucket, should we do that before we try to change the billing responsibility over to her?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
If I upgrade mid cycle and start my two year contract over by buying the new iPhone, that means my old iPhone is no longer under contract and I should be able to get it unlocked by AT&T, right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Edit: I accidentally spent my day off stressing out on work. Whoops. I'll try and keep am eye on this tonight though.

Rick posted:

If you don't text a lot keep it,that is $75 a month with a phone subsidy, the 2GB plan is $65 but includes no phone subsidy.

Gadamer posted:

Reposting this for Duckman2008 to check out.

As stated, you are not on mobile share. Yours depends on your data usage, if you have a work discount and how often you upgrade.

dexter6 posted:

If I upgrade mid cycle and start my two year contract over by buying the new iPhone, that means my old iPhone is no longer under contract and I should be able to get it unlocked by AT&T, right?

If you sign a two year contract or Next, it would void the old contract. So yes.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 17, 2014

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

I ordered a new iPhone as an upgrade under a two-year contract. Is it possible for me to switch that over to Next before I activate or would I have to return it?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Elston Gunn posted:

I ordered a new iPhone as an upgrade under a two-year contract. Is it possible for me to switch that over to Next before I activate or would I have to return it?

You can probably contact Care to have it changed over.

But you might ultimately have to return it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I've been trying to figure out if I am really on the best plan now that my contract is up and I have a new off contract smartphone so I went back to the calculator and here is where I am at:

I've been stupidly going over my data recently but I for years I had never so assuming I stop changing to mobile share looks like a meh deal, if I go to 6GB:

Still, bleh, especially keeping in mind that I have a upgrade available at the same price I am paying now ($95) that I wouldn't have with Mobile Share.

This seems kind of interesting though, with the price break at 10GB I can basically be stupid wreckless with the data and never worry about overages for $20 more a month.

Really the only phone I would consider upgrading to right now is the iPhone 6 Plus 64GB so on 12 month Next it is $42.50 a month + $115 a month for a total of $157.50 or if I stay on the plan I have now it is $399.99 + $40 upgrade fee amortized over 12 months $36.67 a month + $95 for a total of $131.67 a month ASSUMING I never go over my data again.

So basically for $25 more a month I get a stupid amount of data to be wasteful with and a new top (well, one step below) of the line phone every year? That deal doesn't sound so bad anymore.

Am I missing anything downsides to switching to Mobile Share? And say I switch to the more expensive plan, probably without upgrading right now because I am happy with my current phone but could maybe be talked into a tablet, I've got about $20 in overage charges on next month's bill, my eye on an overpriced AT&T accessory besides the tablet, is there any room to wheel and deal on anything?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Huge_Midget posted:

So my wife and I sat down with an AT&T rep last night and he went over what NEXT was all about. We think it might be better for us to forgo the old grandfathered unlimited data plan and switch to the 10gig data bucket plan. We did discover that her employer gives a 24% discount, so we need to figure out how to transfer the billing responsibility over to her so that she can use her FAN discount. The AT&T rep said that we should do that ourselves online at home, because they charge $40 to do it in store. What is the best way to do this without loving everything up? Also, if we change from a FamilyTalk 750 plan to a NEXT plan with a 10 gig data bucket, should we do that before we try to change the billing responsibility over to her?

Can I get an answer to this please? Also, if I walk in to the AT&T store Friday morning to get new phones, can the sales reps switch my wife and I from our old unlimited data plan to a new NEXT 12 plan?

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Huge_Midget posted:

Also, if I walk in to the AT&T store Friday morning to get new phones

Speaking of this, can the AT&T reps comment with their opinion on how well stocked the stores will be with new iPhones? I want to get one before 9/30 so I can do the trade-in option, but if it is going to be near impossible I'll just order direct and sell mine somewhere else.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Wiggly posted:

Speaking of this, can the AT&T reps comment with their opinion on how well stocked the stores will be with new iPhones? I want to get one before 9/30 so I can do the trade-in option, but if it is going to be near impossible I'll just order direct and sell mine somewhere else.

All I can say without losing my job is, get there early.

Poke
Mar 1, 2004
I want to go into an apple store tomorrow and buy and unlocked phone outright since I'll be traveling overseas a lot. Can they still activate my at&t sim there or do I have to go to an at&t store to do that?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Poke posted:

I want to go into an apple store tomorrow and buy and unlocked phone outright since I'll be traveling overseas a lot. Can they still activate my at&t sim there or do I have to go to an at&t store to do that?
I think the AT&T phone is still carrier locked, even if you buy it outright. The T-Mobile phone is the one that comes factory unlocked.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

I think the AT&T phone is still carrier locked, even if you buy it outright. The T-Mobile phone is the one that comes factory unlocked.

You can still, however, just purchase an unlocked one from the apple store directly.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

All I can say without losing my job is, get there early.

You'll take credit cards over the phone, but you feel worried more specific quantity estimates? :rolleyes:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

myron cope posted:

Are there "official" APN settings for AT&T? My wife has a Nokia Lumia 520 (a fantastic Go Phone, BTW) on our mobile share plan. She can't send or receive MMS, and I don't think data works most times either. I turned off WiFi at home and was able to go to google.com, but it's connected to a microcell, so I don't know how that works.

Anyway, currently for Internet APN it has APN - wap.cingular, then nothing for User name, Password, Authentication type (which is greyed out, I guess because I don't have a user/pass) proxy server (URL) or proxy port.

For MMS APN, the APN is wap.cingular, user/pass/authentication type blank. WAP Gateway (URL) and port are blank. MMSC (URL) is http://mmsc.cingular.com with port 80. Maximum MMS size is blank.

When I chatted with AT&T about it last time, the lady literally told me to google it. Another chat got me a microcell, so it wasn't all a loss, but I still don't think the APN stuff is right.

Any ideas? Should I try chat again?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

You'll take credit cards over the phone, but you feel worried more specific quantity estimates? :rolleyes:

Well management told me to take orders over the phone. But not to post numbers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Well management told me to take orders over the phone. But not to post numbers.

That's an example of management caring about you, but not when they can get higher numbers. But its whatever, its your risk, I used to take order when I was at Sprint, so I get. Personally, I think it's just too much hassle anyway.

The iPhone 6 should be pretty easy to find. Good luck on the 6+.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Good luck on the 6+.

I have a lot of people who will be settling for the 6 today.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm wondering if this request can be done:

I'm currently on the $60/month AT&T Go Phone pre-paid plan.
My girlfriend is on the 10 GB Mobile Data Share plan with herself, her mother, and her brother. She's the "main" line on that account. The total amount for all three of them on that line (they all have smartphones, if that matters) is ~$130, because of some discount she gets through her employer. I looked at the prices in the OP, and I'm thinking that the plan must also have been cheaper when she signed up, because otherwise that's around a 40% discount...I've never seen one that high, usually they're around 15-20%.

We would like to add me to the line. That parts not tricky, I'm guessing. Though we want to make sure it doesn't bump the price way up, if we can keep it at about the $50/line price we're at now, that would be great. But if she was locked in at a lower plan rate, then might adding a line break that? I do know the most recent upgrade was used about a year ago (she got the iPhone 5s,) so if that didn't "break" the cheap plan price, then in theory adding a line shouldn't?

Secondly, here's the tricky part:
If I get added, I get an "upgrade" to use, yes? (We won't be using AT&T Next, just the regular 2-year upgrade plan.)
I would like to use that on (probably) the new Motorola X. However, I would like to use the online Motomaker. Is possible to set up my line on her account, so it has an available upgrade, but just not use it right away, and let the upgrade "sit" until the Moto X is released? Then if I go to the Motomaker site and put in the account details, it will still see the upgrade for my line on the shared plan?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm wondering if this request can be done:

I'm currently on the $60/month AT&T Go Phone pre-paid plan.
My girlfriend is on the 10 GB Mobile Data Share plan with herself, her mother, and her brother. She's the "main" line on that account. The total amount for all three of them on that line (they all have smartphones, if that matters) is ~$130, because of some discount she gets through her employer. I looked at the prices in the OP, and I'm thinking that the plan must also have been cheaper when she signed up, because otherwise that's around a 40% discount...I've never seen one that high, usually they're around 15-20%.

We would like to add me to the line. That parts not tricky, I'm guessing. Though we want to make sure it doesn't bump the price way up, if we can keep it at about the $50/line price we're at now, that would be great. But if she was locked in at a lower plan rate, then might adding a line break that? I do know the most recent upgrade was used about a year ago (she got the iPhone 5s,) so if that didn't "break" the cheap plan price, then in theory adding a line shouldn't?

Secondly, here's the tricky part:
If I get added, I get an "upgrade" to use, yes? (We won't be using AT&T Next, just the regular 2-year upgrade plan.)
I would like to use that on (probably) the new Motorola X. However, I would like to use the online Motomaker. Is possible to set up my line on her account, so it has an available upgrade, but just not use it right away, and let the upgrade "sit" until the Moto X is released? Then if I go to the Motomaker site and put in the account details, it will still see the upgrade for my line on the shared plan?

Can't speak to your plan details but the Motomaker site has the new Moto X now available for order. It'll ship next week if you get the 16gb I believe.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

nimper posted:

Can't speak to your plan details but the Motomaker site has the new Moto X now available for order. It'll ship next week if you get the 16gb I believe.

Yeah, but I don't want to order it at full retail. I want to get an upgrade on a new line and use that.

Normally, I do pre-paid with full price phones, but getting on my GF's shared line is cheaper per month than my GoPhone plan (I'd be on the T-Mobile dork plan, but there's no T-Mobile service here.)

So this is one of the cases where it is 100% cheaper in every way to get on a plan with a contract. Cheaper phone, and cheaper per month, and I get more data (they have a 10 GB plan...and last billing cycle, the three of them used less than 3 GB...the rest can be all mine! :unsmigghh:)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but I don't want to order it at full retail. I want to get an upgrade on a new line and use that.

You can do exactly that.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
FYI, anyone planning on unlocking their old device immediately after starting a new contract, can't do it. You must wait 14 days from the time you activated the new contract to do it on the old device. I'm assuming this is because they don't want you unlocking old device and then returning the new one in your 14 day window.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

dexter6 posted:

FYI, anyone planning on unlocking their old device immediately after starting a new contract, can't do it. You must wait 14 days from the time you activated the new contract to do it on the old device. I'm assuming this is because they don't want you unlocking old device and then returning the new one in your 14 day window.

AT&T's locking policy is insane, I was almost off my contract, a few weeks and was selling my iPhone 5 and ended up with a free LG G3 off-contract so I was seeing about just paying my last contract bill for my iPhone 5 which had already been billed and they said no, I had to wait for the end of the contract even though I didn't owe them anymore money on the contract.

Fine but in the stupid argument phase we came to the conclusion that since the LG G3 was added to my account, the iPhone 5 was off my account the contract actually applied to my LG G3 even though I owned it outright and my iPhone 5 was unlockable, they unlocked it no problem, they just wouldn't unlock my LG G3 until the contract was over.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Is anyone familiar with the performance of the mobile hotspot devices? I live in a rural area with awful DSL internet, and no other options aside from satellite. However, we now have 4G coverage, and occasionally LTE depending on where in the house you are. I have an iphone 5 with the grandfathered unlimited data plan which isn't eligible for tethering, so I'm trying to come up with the best way to use the cell network for some internet usage (I know all options have limits to the amount of data per month so I won't use it for netflix or big downloads).

Would the mobile hotspot have a better and more consistent connection than my iphone? We're paying $235ish for a family plan currently and if I could find a way to drop that a bit, adding a hotspot would be tolerable. Otherwise I could also look into moving my phone to a newer data plan that allows tethering, but I feel like staying under 5gb total might be an issue, and it also might not give the best connection since I usually only have 2 bars of 4G.

EmeritusTubbi
Jan 28, 2001

Is there a way to add new lines to an account without requiring a new contract? I'm hoping to join onto my parents' plan - they were on contract when the pricing change took place in February, and so are paying just $15 per month for their lines with the 10gb plan. I know I wouldn't be eligible for the same deal ($15 per month with a subsidized phone), but is it possible for me to join on with a Next or BYOP plan and pay the $15 rate mobile shared value rate without them changing their contract and bumping up to $40 per month?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

EmeritusTubbi posted:

Is there a way to add new lines to an account without requiring a new contract? I'm hoping to join onto my parents' plan - they were on contract when the pricing change took place in February, and so are paying just $15 per month for their lines with the 10gb plan. I know I wouldn't be eligible for the same deal ($15 per month with a subsidized phone), but is it possible for me to join on with a Next or BYOP plan and pay the $15 rate mobile shared value rate without them changing their contract and bumping up to $40 per month?

If they're on a mobile share plan (it sounds like they are) that's exactly how it works. Byod or next and you pay $15 (although they do let you know it's $40 discounted by $25), contract you pay the whole $40.

Adding a new line of next also comes with a $100 bill credit right now

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I pre-ordered a 6+ through apple using my SO's phone number (we are on a family plan). When I got my new phone today I swapped out the sim that was already inside with my own. Only problem now is that I am unable to get network data to work - everything else works fine. Already restarted the phone, removed/reinserted the sim, and even reset the network settings. I'm also only getting the 4G symbol where LTE was before.

Is this going to require a trip to an ATT store?

supersteve fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 20, 2014

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Can you pick Moto Maker (for the New X) while still doing NEXT? The guy at my local ATT store said yes but didn't sound too convincing.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've purchased an iPhone 6 using my wife's line but I'd like to activate it on my line. (i.e. cross-upgrade)

When I called AT&T, they said I needed a new SIM for the iPhone 6, but my old phone had a nano SIM that fits in the new phone.

Should I be able to activate the iPhone with my old SIM?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Can I buy an iPhone under next at an Apple store? My ATT store is out but Apple store has them, but I've been on hold forever trying to find out

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
I just got an iPhone 6 under Next and have paid off the installments. How long do I have to wait before it can be unlocked? I've tried the request form but it is immediately rejected stating that I must first make all the payments on the device.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Walked posted:

Can I buy an iPhone under next at an Apple store? My ATT store is out but Apple store has them, but I've been on hold forever trying to find out

Apple cannot do new next accounts or add add a lines, and they cannot do an upgrade if you are already on next. But direct or cross upgrades they can do.

MrNonacho posted:

I just got an iPhone 6 under Next and have paid off the installments. How long do I have to wait before it can be unlocked? I've tried the request form but it is immediately rejected stating that I must first make all the payments on the device.

I would imagine 14-30 days.

Vinlaen posted:

I've purchased an iPhone 6 using my wife's line but I'd like to activate it on my line. (i.e. cross-upgrade)

When I called AT&T, they said I needed a new SIM for the iPhone 6, but my old phone had a nano SIM that fits in the new phone.

Should I be able to activate the iPhone with my old SIM?

Yeah, you can swap the SIM in and it'll just work. Same with your wife's phone, assuming her phone was also nano sim. Otherwise, stop by a store and they will reactivate a new SIM for her (ATT never reactivates old SIMs).

myron cope posted:

Can you pick Moto Maker (for the New X) while still doing NEXT? The guy at my local ATT store said yes but didn't sound too convincing.

Yes you absolutely can. I'm not sure if stores got all the cards yet though, we had someone asking and we couldn't find the 32GB card. But yeah, can def do next.

supersteve posted:

I pre-ordered a 6+ through apple using my SO's phone number (we are on a family plan). When I got my new phone today I swapped out the sim that was already inside with my own. Only problem now is that I am unable to get network data to work - everything else works fine. Already restarted the phone, removed/reinserted the sim, and even reset the network settings. I'm also only getting the 4G symbol where LTE was before.

Is this going to require a trip to an ATT store?

Call care and see if there is a pending activation. If so push it through and put the new SIM card in (or they can remove the pending activation, either way). Otherwise yes go to a corp store.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 22, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

myron cope posted:

If they're on a mobile share plan (it sounds like they are) that's exactly how it works. Byod or next and you pay $15 (although they do let you know it's $40 discounted by $25), contract you pay the whole $40.

Adding a new line of next also comes with a $100 bill credit right now

So this is the same boat I'm in.

If I get onto my girlfriend's mobile share, which she has at $15/line, I can't get a regular discounted phone, I have to either buy full price or do Next if we want to keep $15/line?

And if I DO get a regularly discounted phone, will only MY line be at the $40 price, or will all of the lines of the plan be upped to $40 each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Suprfli6 posted:

Would the mobile hotspot have a better and more consistent connection than my iphone? We're paying $235ish for a family plan currently and if I could find a way to drop that a bit, adding a hotspot would be tolerable. Otherwise I could also look into moving my phone to a newer data plan that allows tethering, but I feel like staying under 5gb total might be an issue, and it also might not give the best connection since I usually only have 2 bars of 4G.

I use a MiFi Liberate on AT&T wherever I go since Sprint sucks for data. I never really have any issues with it connection wise (usually have my iPhone, iPad and whoever else is with me tethered to it). AT&T has a hotspot called the UnitePro that looks to have external antenna connectors on it so you could get a better signal than with the internal antennas alone. It comes in handy when the internet at my house goes down, or if I need to use my laptop on the train or away from free WiFi.

A friend of mine has a router that connects to a USB data card - if that would be easier than using the hotspot, that might be an option as well.

If you would only need it in a pinch, iPhone hotspot might be the way to go vs paying for the hotspot every month.