Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Black August posted:

it can't be worse than this one.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Going out on a limb here, but have you looked at the cost of living in Seattle? It isn't really any better than the east coast...

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Well we just finished out first 2 weeks and it wasn't bad. I need to increase food sales by about 150% but it is what it is.

I tell you what I love being in the kitchen way more than I liked doing IT stuff or running a bunch of IT people. Next up is food truck. We should gear that up to run in the next 3-4 months!

I'm excited!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Black August posted:

Seattle has the weather I want,
LOL boston.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Black August posted:

I've lived in Massachusetts for a majority of my life. I want to leave my family and life here behind and get around the world while I still got the legs to do it. Seattle has the weather I want, a better minimum wage, and I know people out there. I don't plan to work at the restaurant chain forever, I plan to use it as a landing pad so I can hit the ground running and make time to find better work. Besides, the chain is decent in a lot of locations, this one is just particularly odious. Seattle's might be leagues better and more profitable, but it can't be worse than this one.

man I hope you like rain, cause we got rain on the best coast

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Not down in California we don't.

:(

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Kenning posted:

Not down in California we don't.

:(

No, instead you have yuppies and unbridled heat death.

However, I live among the metaphorical Igloos, so gently caress all y'all.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Anyone that doesn't think New England has the worst weather hasn't lived here their entire life. Mild temps and almost no snow? I'd say it's better. Boston is also very very high on the cost of living scale.

I think I may have had a bartender who quit the ridiculously easy job at my private club and go to work at a certain Boston chain location in question and she burned out so fast it wasn't even funny. What we lose by not being able to be tipped (by the club constitution) we pick up in health/dental and a livable wage and no uncertainty. I can have a day with 2 covers and I'll still get my full 8 hours in.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Hell I lived there for only a few years in college and I can tell you it sucks out loud. I've got a bunch of buddies up there doing great work in hospitality and the town is beautiful (if hell of segregated) but the weather? gently caress me sideways.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Thomas Keller just called me on my cell to invite me to cook at a competition at Bouchon. I can finally die in peace.*

*But not until I destroy the competition.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Shabadu posted:

I think I may have had a bartender who quit the ridiculously easy job at my private club and go to work at a certain Boston chain location in question and she burned out so fast it wasn't even funny. What we lose by not being able to be tipped (by the club constitution) we pick up in health/dental and a livable wage and no uncertainty. I can have a day with 2 covers and I'll still get my full 8 hours in.

When I was managing a club, I would immediately trash any resume/application that highlighted mostly country club and hotel experience for exactly this reason. There are pros and cons to working in any given environment (income, stability, benefits, social aspect, etc.), but an environment change that drastic almost never works out.

Unfair? Probably. But I like to think it saved everyone a lot of time and hassle.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Tender Child Loins posted:

Thomas Keller just called me on my cell to invite me to cook at a competition at Bouchon. I can finally die in peace.*

:gizz:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

I was so shocked I couldn't do anything but mumble, "Thank you, Chef," over and over again.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Holy poo poo.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

So I'm going to a costume party next weekend and the attendees are almost entirely restaurant staff.

I salvaged some bits from an ancient PoS and am going to have a PoS screen mask and a micros printer on my shoulder. Does this make me evil? I'm debating shouting "86'd!" anytime someone asks me something to complete the illusion.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Trebuchet King posted:

Does this make me evil?

nah you could've been a big anthropomorphic squirrel

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Shabadu posted:

Anyone that doesn't think New England has the worst weather hasn't lived here their entire life.

Come try the DC area, we built the nation's capital on disgusting swampland that nobody wanted. Maryland and Virginia couldn't give this garbage away until Congress rolled up looking for land. Absolutely everything outdoors and man-made around here has a fat slick of mold on it somewhere.

Or there's Baltimore, where it literally rains human feces sometimes. :shrek:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Holy shift that's amazing! Good luck I hope you win!

If I send you my copy of Ad Hoc can you have him sign it? :allears:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! Good luck, too.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

When I was managing a club, I would immediately trash any resume/application that highlighted mostly country club and hotel experience for exactly this reason. There are pros and cons to working in any given environment (income, stability, benefits, social aspect, etc.), but an environment change that drastic almost never works out.

Unfair? Probably. But I like to think it saved everyone a lot of time and hassle.

Real talk. Also anyone with chains as their main experience. Not unfair in the slightest.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Real talk. Also anyone with chains as their main experience. Not unfair in the slightest.

The next job I jump to after this one is going to be a non-chain restaurant. Never corporate or chain, EVER again. I was much happier in the personally-owned scene.

Health inspector back tomorrow. We are so dead.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Idunno I only worked a chain for a year but I were always paid on time whereas in this new place I am at I have just been told I won't be paid until October, and also yesterday the electricity went off and we had to close for the day while he made a payment, and I guess what I'm saying is I'm taking the day off to j off!

Also how do you pronounce Raita, as in the indian sauce?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Simoom posted:

Idunno I only worked a chain for a year but I were always paid on time whereas in this new place I am at I have just been told I won't be paid until October, and also yesterday the electricity went off and we had to close for the day while he made a payment, and I guess what I'm saying is I'm taking the day off to j off!

You are unlikely to ever see a paycheck if the owner can't pay the electric bill and says he'll pay you next month. I wouldn't work another second without a check in my hand.

RIGHT-uh

I've also heard raw-EAT-uh, but wiktionary says it's the first one.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Simoom posted:

stop working for free

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Simoom posted:

Quit working for free, you donkey. Pay that is late is pay that you will never, ever, ever, see.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Liquid Communism posted:

Quit working for free, you donkey. Pay that is late is pay that you will never, ever, ever, see.

This. Employment is a contract - you provide labor for money. If your employer can't afford to pay you, you can't afford to waste your time there.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Trebuchet King posted:

So I'm going to a costume party next weekend and the attendees are almost entirely restaurant staff.

I salvaged some bits from an ancient PoS and am going to have a PoS screen mask and a micros printer on my shoulder. Does this make me evil? I'm debating shouting "86'd!" anytime someone asks me something to complete the illusion.

You need to make the printer make the printing noise at-will.

Edit: Christ the Puyallup Fair is kicking our rear end. Eighteen lousy covers all day so far. If things don't pick up by seven I'm closing early.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 20, 2014

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah I quit he got super insulted and screamy but I got my friday night so we'll call it a draw. He wrote a cheque on the spot since he was so insulted but I'm pretty sure this is gonna bounce and it might as well be monopoly money.

I kinda get giggly at how angry he got over an innocent suggestion that I wanna get paid but then it stops bein funny when I realize I almost definitely got cheated. mama mia

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Simoom posted:

Yeah I quit he got super insulted and screamy but I got my friday night so we'll call it a draw. He wrote a cheque on the spot since he was so insulted but I'm pretty sure this is gonna bounce and it might as well be monopoly money.

I kinda get giggly at how angry he got over an innocent suggestion that I wanna get paid but then it stops bein funny when I realize I almost definitely got cheated. mama mia

It costs a little extra, but take that poo poo to a check cashing place tonight and get your money now if you can

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Republicans posted:

You need to make the printer make the printing noise at-will.

Edit: Christ the Puyallup Fair is kicking our rear end. Eighteen lousy covers all day so far. If things don't pick up by seven I'm closing early.

Between the Puyallup fair and back to school shopping the place I work at should close for the month of September, after I don't work there anymore of course. Daddy bee needs his honey.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Dinner was boring until around 11pm when the other cook on the line started teetering around and fumbling with plates and platings and tools. I took over and he took five, then ten, then thirty as he got increasingly dizzy and having trouble speaking when he tried to come back and--here's where it gets actually scary-- kinda senile. Stuff like seeing me finish off a taco plate and pull the ticket, so he throws down tortillas for the tacos that just went out. Getting a ticket for kids chicken tenders and firing a full plate of wings instead. He wasn't drunk and he wasn't high, it wasn't that kinda cutesey doopy forgetfulness. poo poo that shoulda just flowed from muscle memory, and that I have personally seen flow from his muscle memory in a few different mental states now, was all kinds of hosed up and not working. I offered to cover for him and thats the story of how I wound up pulling a double through third shift.

I've seen that symptom combo firsthand only once before IRL. They were having a stroke. I really, really hope the guy is okay. He refused to go to the hospital on account of not being able to afford bankruptcy and the manager on duty was all "well whattaya gonna do, twist his arm?" and... I mean, he wasn't wrong I guess... :(

People say "congratulations" for any dumb old thing these days so instead please accept this video to be played through your earbuds while setting up your mise before the big event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO4tIrjBDkk

Good luck!!

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 20, 2014

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
America is so hosed up jesus lord I hope that guy don't get permanant damage but probably he did. gently caress.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Willie Tomg posted:

Dinner was boring until around 11pm when the other cook on the line started teetering around and fumbling with plates and platings and tools. I took over and he took five, then ten, then thirty as he got increasingly dizzy and having trouble speaking when he tried to come back and--here's where it gets actually scary-- kinda senile. Stuff like seeing me finish off a taco plate and pull the ticket, so he throws down tortillas for the tacos that just went out. Getting a ticket for kids chicken tenders and firing a full plate of wings instead. He wasn't drunk and he wasn't high, it wasn't that kinda cutesey doopy forgetfulness. poo poo that shoulda just flowed from muscle memory, and that I have personally seen flow from his muscle memory in a few different mental states now, was all kinds of hosed up and not working. I offered to cover for him and thats the story of how I wound up pulling a double through third shift.

I've seen that symptom combo firsthand only once before IRL. They were having a stroke. I really, really hope the guy is okay. He refused to go to the hospital on account of not being able to afford bankruptcy and the manager on duty was all "well whattaya gonna do, twist his arm?" and... I mean, he wasn't wrong I guess... :(

Was it unusually hot? Severe heat stroke can cause stuff like that, but I'm betting he was smarter than that and was drinking enough water. That's scary though, I hope he's ok :(

PincheFlacoGuey
Apr 8, 2014
I'm in trade school for welding in Texas and my experience is that it takes a ton of neglect to start suffering that bad from heat stroke.

I quit my job at that shithole. Straight up no call no showed. Felt very liberating driving my truck down the highway on my way to the river with my canoe in the back when I was supposed to be at work. Still though, I pushed away reality by putting my phone on airplane mode so I wouldn't have to bare seeing them calling me. To my surprise, hours after I was supposed to show up, I turned airplane mode off and had no missed call or anything. Same thing the next day. It wasn't until that Monday did a host text me asking me if I quit.

I've since gotten a job at a taco chain out of Austin. "drat good" for those who may be familiar. Had an interview immediately after the manager glanced at my application. Probably skimming to see if I have any prior convictions and or if I've ever worked in a restaurant before. Was told to follow up with another interview the next day. Showed up and 5 minutes later asks if I can come back in a couple hours to fill out employment paperwork - sure. Come back and I'm told that I'll be with a group filling out paperwork all together. All in all about seven people showed up but two were asked to leave because one guy didn't have TABC or Texas food handlers and the other guy showed up thirty minutes late. Everyone there was for BOH except for me and I was given the option of cashier, food runner or expo. I opted for cashier and start on Monday.

I'm hopeful about this place but the whole hiring process screams high turnover rate which is concerning. It's been sometime now that I've had a job(won't even count the last one) though and there's a steady paycheck at $7.50+tips so I'm all aboard.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Question for you Guys, right now my place is serving upscale-ish bar food considering we are located inside of a bar, but I'm trying to add some better additions to the menu.

We serve burgers where we grind the meat in house, we make our own bacon and mustards, smoke out own briskest out back, the usual stuff. I tried out a smoked brisket chili and hand made bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers tonight and it went over pretty well but I really want to bring things up a notch. One of the recipes I have been working on is a Pork Belly Old Fashioned. Basically pork braised in orange and bourbon served in a reduced bourbon, honey and bitters sauce. I can make it without an issue, but getting people to try something not bar food has been difficult and I don't want to sink a bunch of money into a special and end up eating the food cost.

Any tips for getting people to try the special or to branch out at all? Its hard since the regulars at the bar are pissed off old men. I may just have to accept that this place isn't the right place and wait until I get the food truck and the place downtown in a few years, but I really do want to try out some fun things here.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Good news: He's not dead! I'm still convinced he has high blood pressure but whatever, I'm not the guy's dad.

What was dead was our restaurant on account of everyone being in the streets for Pride Week(end) and since I worked third shift that morning got a half day that evening. I actually had to fight to make my second plate of the day just so I could justify waking up and crawling in to the kitchen.

No workplace fatalities, and easy day that's 50% shorter than normal? awwww yeah, its Miller Time baby.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Question for you Guys, right now my place is serving upscale-ish bar food considering we are located inside of a bar, but I'm trying to add some better additions to the menu.

We serve burgers where we grind the meat in house, we make our own bacon and mustards, smoke out own briskest out back, the usual stuff. I tried out a smoked brisket chili and hand made bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers tonight and it went over pretty well but I really want to bring things up a notch. One of the recipes I have been working on is a Pork Belly Old Fashioned. Basically pork braised in orange and bourbon served in a reduced bourbon, honey and bitters sauce. I can make it without an issue, but getting people to try something not bar food has been difficult and I don't want to sink a bunch of money into a special and end up eating the food cost.

Any tips for getting people to try the special or to branch out at all? Its hard since the regulars at the bar are pissed off old men. I may just have to accept that this place isn't the right place and wait until I get the food truck and the place downtown in a few years, but I really do want to try out some fun things here.

Make it into a sandwich and I bet people would be all over it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Uncle Lizard posted:

The psychology of food is fascinating like that. Also sometimes dumb.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Uncle Lizard posted:

this

because pork-belly sandwiches are delicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Or tacos or sticky buns, and save the fat to infuse whiskey with and make some money that way. Bacon fat old fashioneds are pretty tasty

• Locked thread