Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah that is a joke and doesn't count. The whole point of a shared universe is that they share space, not that some random character from another show popped up in one episode one time or that there was a background reference to a random thing in another show.

Agents of SHIELD is pretty much the only show I can think of that has legitimately placed itself in an ongoing shared universe, and while there is plenty to criticize about its first season, blaming the MCU is pretty much scapegoating.

There's plenty of legitimate shared universes, like Buffy Angel, Miller Boyett Shows, Pettycoat Junction and Green Acres, Archie Bunker the Jeffersons and Maude, the entire spectrum of Power Rangers series, ABC Soap Operas, etc. Only the Tommy Westphal idea of them all being shared is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010

greatn posted:

There's plenty of legitimate shared universes, like Buffy Angel, Miller Boyett Shows, Pettycoat Junction and Green Acres, Archie Bunker the Jeffersons and Maude, the entire spectrum of Power Rangers series, ABC Soap Operas, etc. Only the Tommy Westphal idea of them all being shared is dumb.

I think it's fair to say the Marvel plan is the first shared universe to be "important" and scrutinized as a blockbuster plan. The sitcoms you mentioned were really only winks, you didn't have to watch Green Acres to get Pettycoat Junction, and there was no expectation that one day there would be a summer movie where Urkel, Balki, Uncle Jesse, and Mork would team up to face the ultimate evil. Buffy and Angel crossed over, but it was a unique situation on a non major network and Joss Whedon led both shows, and now not coincidentally he is making the Avengers movies. Like it or not, the Marvel movie universe is unique.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ToastyPotato posted:

Not being able to say the word HYRDA doesn't excuse the bad writing, dialog, and direction of the show, especially in the first half. They had limitations imposed by Disney and Marvel Studios, but what they delivered was subpar and had very little to do with that. It was just a substandard show. There are plenty of shows not tied to the Marvel universe that manage to tell decent, interesting stories. Also, Deathlok's design being god awful had nothing to do with anything outside of poor design choices being made.

It's not that they weren't able to say the word HYDRA*. It's broader things that resulted from Studios proper's desire to protect the sanctity of then-upcoming films, like not being able to portray SHIELD in any sort of negative light, not being able to hint at any moles or other bad apples within SHIELD on what was at least partially an espionage show, and limiting the use of superpowered characters on a show whose entire point was being set in a superhero universe. None of this is speculation on my part; it's all been said a number of times in interviews with the showrunners.

That's not getting into ABC wanting to make the show a four-quadrant hit that could appeal to moms and other people who would never consider watching a Marvel Studios film (as though Avengers wasn't a broad enough hit already), which I suspect is in large part responsible for a lot of the tonal problems that were most pronounced in the first half of S1 (an awkward mishmash of the espionage and investigative procedural genres; an overreliance on episodic plotting; overly archetypal characters; Family-Friendly Marvel Procedural Action/Adventure Hour episodes punctuated with moments of surprisingly graphic violence).

To be clear, I saw the same episodes you did, and I'm not saying that the writers, showrunners, and directors did the best job they possibly could have done under those creative constraints. They definitely didn't. But I'd put the bulk of the blame elsewhere; S1 was creatively kneecapped before they even started shooting the pilot.

*which isn't literally true, it was mentioned at least twice on the show before TWS
:goonsay:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Buddington posted:

I think it's fair to say the Marvel plan is the first shared universe to be "important" and scrutinized as a blockbuster plan. The sitcoms you mentioned were really only winks, you didn't have to watch Green Acres to get Pettycoat Junction, and there was no expectation that one day there would be a summer movie where Urkel, Balki, Uncle Jesse, and Mork would team up to face the ultimate evil. Buffy and Angel crossed over, but it was a unique situation on a non major network and Joss Whedon led both shows, and now not coincidentally he is making the Avengers movies. Like it or not, the Marvel movie universe is unique.

If we're being honest here, the Universal monster movies came up with it first.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Buddington posted:

Basically this. Most other cases are just cameos and spin offs. I am not familiar enough with Buffy/Angel to speak to that, but my understanding wasn't that both shows were directly effecting each other. AoS is honestly the first show I can think of where events outside of the show are directly effecting the story being told within the show.

Barry Convex posted:

It's not that they weren't able to say the word HYDRA*. It's broader things that resulted from Studios proper's desire to protect the sanctity of then-upcoming films, like not being able to portray SHIELD in any sort of negative light, not being able to hint at any moles or other bad apples within SHIELD on what was at least partially an espionage show, and limiting the use of superpowered characters on a show whose entire point was being set in a superhero universe. None of this is speculation on my part; it's all been said a number of times in interviews with the showrunners.

That's not getting into ABC wanting to make the show a four-quadrant hit that could appeal to moms and other people who would never consider watching a Marvel Studios film (as though Avengers wasn't a broad enough hit already), which I suspect is in large part responsible for a lot of the tonal problems that were most pronounced in the first half of S1 (an awkward mishmash of the espionage and investigative procedural genres; an overreliance on episodic plotting; overly archetypal characters; Family-Friendly Marvel Procedural Action/Adventure Hour episodes punctuated with moments of surprisingly graphic violence).

To be clear, I saw the same episodes you did, and I'm not saying that the writers, showrunners, and directors did the best job they possibly could have done under those creative constraints. They definitely didn't. But I'd put the bulk of the blame elsewhere; S1 was creatively kneecapped before they even started shooting the pilot.

*which isn't literally true, it was mentioned at least twice on the show before TWS
:goonsay:

I don't know how you can believe the bold part and then not say that bears the bulk of the blame. This show, within its first half of season 1, had two "now say it again in English" lines and a "he's behind me, isn't he?" line. I think that speaks volumes about the problems and you honestly did pretty much nail them on the head.

I wouldn't say that the restrictions played no role, but I think the show could have been significantly better had it had a better team behind it, or at least of the people behind it didn't seemingly give up when faced with those challenges.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Basically this. Most other cases are just cameos and spin offs. I am not familiar enough with Buffy/Angel to speak to that, but my understanding wasn't that both shows were directly effecting each other. AoS is honestly the first show I can think of where events outside of the show are directly effecting the story being told within the show.

I don't know how you can believe the bold part and then not say that bears the bulk of the blame. This show, within its first half of season 1, had two "now say it again in English" lines and a "he's behind me, isn't he?" line. I think that speaks volumes about the problems and you honestly did pretty much nail them on the head.

I wouldn't say that the restrictions played no role, but I think the show could have been significantly better had it had a better team behind it, or at least of the people behind it didn't seemingly give up when faced with those challenges.

Well, there's a lot of Hollywood politics involved in making a TV series, all the more so when it involves this degree of synergy and synchronization between multiple divisions of Disney. Keep in mind that (Jed) Whedon and Tancharoen had never served as showrunners before SHIELD S1, which undoubtedly impaired their ability to stand up to the various other executive influences on the show.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 20, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah he's right the Universal Monster movies really are the progenitor of this. You have two Dracula movies, four Frankenstein movies, two Wolfman movies, then suddenly you have Frankenstein vs the Wolf man, then House of Frank and House of Dracs, then they all meet Abbot and Costello with cameos from the in universe invisible man and those characters go on to meet the Mummy as well... Or maybe they already had.

Wish Hammer had followed in this tradition.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh and David E Kelley's Legal Dramas Boston Public Boston Legal The Practice and Ally McBeal all took place in the same universe and he made sure to have characters cross between them all the time, and even had a couple fairly involved crossovers across networks. After one show was cancelled, its main characters would sometimes show up on his other shows just so you know how they're doing.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

HorseRenoir posted:

If we're being honest here, the Universal monster movies came up with it first.

I'd love to see an Abbot & Costello Meet The Avengers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

greatn posted:

Oh and David E Kelley's Legal Dramas Boston Public Boston Legal The Practice and Ally McBeal all took place in the same universe and he made sure to have characters cross between them all the time, and even had a couple fairly involved crossovers across networks. After one show was cancelled, its main characters would sometimes show up on his other shows just so you know how they're doing.

They important part of my asking about whether other shows did this was the claim that it has been overdone enough to be tiresome and that it has very clear negative effects that can be pointed to across the numerous times it has been attempted.

All that has been proven is that this has almost never been done in the way that AoS is doing it, and that a huge chunk of criticism given to AoS isn't even the direct fault of it being in a shared universe. Therefore, the notion that the DC shows sharing a universe would automatically be bad is a silly one born out of nothing but a negative reaction to the one, modern, shared universe that exists in films/TV that is actually quite successful and popular.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sure. I think sharing a universe with DC movies would be bad though because DC movies are bad.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

greatn posted:

Sure. I think sharing a universe with DC movies would be bad though because DC movies are bad.

Yeah, the Flash pilot isn't perfect, but it's far, far closer to what I want to see from a shared live-action DCU than Man of Steel was (or than anything we've seen of BvS looks to be).

Supergirl probably isn't set in the Arrowverse, but Berlanti's involvement at least leaves me hopeful it'll get the tone right.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

greatn posted:

Oh I agree, I wouldn't want the shows and movies to mix at this point if only because I do not like the direction the movies are headed but I wouldn't hate if they tried either. But I was more talking about how Teen Titans and now Supergirl will be on their own apparently. Some people were saying that this would some how automatically make them better, which I don't really get. Smallville wasn't in a shared universe and it didn't benefit from that at all. Arrow's first two seasons weren't part of a shared universe either, and plenty of people have bad things to say about both. So I am just really confused as to where this idea that stand alone shows are definitely better, when there seems to be no real evidence for this claim.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Oh I agree, I wouldn't want the shows and movies to mix at this point if only because I do not like the direction the movies are headed but I wouldn't hate if they tried either. But I was more talking about how Teen Titans and now Supergirl will be on their own apparently. Some people were saying that this would some how automatically make them better, which I don't really get. Smallville wasn't in a shared universe and it didn't benefit from that at all. Arrow's first two seasons weren't part of a shared universe either, and plenty of people have bad things to say about both. So I am just really confused as to where this idea that stand alone shows are definitely better, when there seems to be no real evidence for this claim.

Right, SHIELD S1's MCU problem (by no means its only problem, as per my post above) wasn't that it was set in a preexisting shared universe; it was that it was set in that universe while being deeply, inextricably tied to the canon of existing and upcoming films, which meant that Marvel Studios had far too much veto power over potential story ideas.

If series/films exist in a shared universe but occupy their own distinct corner of it (Arrow and Flash, or the MCU films and the Defenders series), with only the occasional crossover, that shouldn't be a problem.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 20, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Yeah, the Flash pilot isn't perfect, but it's far, far closer to what I want to see from a shared live-action DCU than Man of Steel was (or than anything we've seen of BvS looks to be).

Supergirl probably isn't set in the Arrowverse, but Berlanti's involvement at least leaves me hopeful it'll get the tone right.

How awesome would it be though, if they did a finale where Ollie beats the bad guy, but oh no! He planted a bomb in a plane's engine, and now it'll crash on the city, killing thousands, and then...

"Look! Up in the sky!"

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

How awesome would it be though, if they did a finale where Ollie beats the bad guy, but oh no! He planted a bomb in a plane's engine, and now it'll crash on the city, killing thousands, and then...

"Look! Up in the sky!"

Then a giant web appears and catches the plane. The red and blue figure swings and lands next to Arrow. "Everybody gets one"

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, is there anything stopping Batman/Superman villains from showing up? Ollie vs Penguin who drops references to be forced outta gotham, and being on edge he was followed to Starling? Felicity battling the Riddler in wits?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, is there anything stopping Batman/Superman villains from showing up? Ollie vs Penguin who drops references to be forced outta gotham, and being on edge he was followed to Starling? Felicity battling the Riddler in wits?

Well Ra's Al Ghul is the main villain this season and if anyone could be considered Dick Grayson's arch villain it's Deathstroke, so there's definitely some cross over of characters. IF they use anyone though I'm sure it will be people who won't be showing up in Gotham, most of Batman's C-list is probabaly up for grabs.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Death stroke was pretty much Ollie's archnrmesis since Infinite Crisis, at least up til new 52 which I know nothing about.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

They did have the Royal Flush Gang and Firefly show up in Season 1.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dacap posted:

Well Ra's Al Ghul is the main villain this season and if anyone could be considered Dick Grayson's arch villain it's Deathstroke, so there's definitely some cross over of characters. IF they use anyone though I'm sure it will be people who won't be showing up in Gotham, most of Batman's C-list is probabaly up for grabs.

With Teen Titans being its own thing and Dick being the leader, my fear is that the well for Arrow villains will dry up, assuming Warner sticks to its previous policies. That's why I kind of wanted them to be in the same universe, because then it wouldn't matter and there would not be much of a reason villains couldn't bounce back and forth if they were running low on usable characters. The alternative, as I mentioned before, is having multiple versions of the same characters, which we simply do not know if WB will allow yet, since nothing has actually happened and no one has been cast, etc.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

With Teen Titans being its own thing and Dick being the leader, my fear is that the well for Arrow villains will dry up, assuming Warner sticks to its previous policies. That's why I kind of wanted them to be in the same universe, because then it wouldn't matter and there would not be much of a reason villains couldn't bounce back and forth if they were running low on usable characters. The alternative, as I mentioned before, is having multiple versions of the same characters, which we simply do not know if WB will allow yet, since nothing has actually happened and no one has been cast, etc.
Oh god the infamous Bat/Aquaman Embargo was the worst (though at least the DCAU guys were smart enough to make good tv with the restrictions)

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Arrow seems to have nabbed the Suicide Squad, so there's actually a decent sized pool of villains to pull from. You get Punch and Jewelee in there, but still. Plus more espionage stuff like Checkmate could pop up.

Flash has got good rogues; it's kind of his thing. And they've already set up a season long mystery that is obviously Zoom.

Gotham is hard to read because it seems like they have a core cast of villains-to-be, so are they doing crimes yet? Will there be other DC guest stars who show up but don't get any character development?

Titans... Well they could try Judas Contract without Slade, I guess.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did anyone else catch the clip they showed during NFL games yesterday? I wasn't too interested in the show before and this didn't help. I'm not going to judge it on the pilot, but if they keep doing heavy handed nods and winks I'm not sticking around long.

If you didn't see it, Penguin is beating a guy with a bat, when another gang member says "Take it easy, PENGUIN" and he snaps back with a "you know I hate that name!" bit before Gordon shows up.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah some early reviews mentioned that the first couple of episodes are pretty heavy-handed with the intros to characters since they need to make sure people who don't actually know anything about Batman realize that the show's about Gordon and young versions of all the famous villains. Expect a whole lot of "That woman is like a cat!" type stuff early on, but hopefully the show will grow into something interesting. Not much longer to wait now so we'll see soon I guess.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I didn't realized Gotham started tonight, and Agents if Shield tomorrow? I'll probably watch Flash as well, but I think Arrow is still on at the same time as AoS.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I didn't realized Gotham started tonight, and Agents if Shield tomorrow? I'll probably watch Flash as well, but I think Arrow is still on at the same time as AoS.

Arrow and SHIELD were never on at the same time. Arrow is 8pm Wednesdays, SHIELD was and is Tuesdays but now moved to 9 instead of 8.

Flash is Tuesdays at 8.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

have they said how much Flash and Arrow will tie in together? I haven't gotten around to watching Arrow at all but I'd like to watch Flash

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The pilot has Ollie show up to say 'sup to Barry and they will have a crossover episode or two per season. You can just watch Flash without watching Arrow, I guess it'd help to know that Ollie is Barry's inspiration to be a hero and that he and Felicity in Arrow kind of possibly had a thing but it's not vital.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Opopanax posted:

have they said how much Flash and Arrow will tie in together? I haven't gotten around to watching Arrow at all but I'd like to watch Flash

Flash first appeared in season 2 of Arrow. The first flash episode will have an appearance by Ollie, and there is a crossover later this season.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I was worried that Ra's would be a one-season villain until I remembered that the other two big villains are still around.

e: And since there's a new Count Vertigo, I doubt that they'll run out of villains, just reintroduce new versions.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 22, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Arrow and SHIELD were never on at the same time. Arrow is 8pm Wednesdays, SHIELD was and is Tuesdays but now moved to 9 instead of 8.

Flash is Tuesdays at 8.

I could have sworn they were on at the same time. But then that doesn't make sense because they are both shown on CTV in Canada.

I don't have high hopes for Gotham, but I'm going to give it a chance. I mean, enjoyed AoS even at the start, even though it wasn't that good. Probably helped that Skye and Simmons are pretty cute and I can't get enough Coulson.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK... Gotham doesn't air here until October apparently, but I just read the AV Club write-up for the pilot... did they seriously give up the chance to do a version of Half A Life in favour of a retarded love triangle between Gordon, Montoya and Barbara Sr.?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but the wife and I just finished our marathon of JL/JLU, and are looking for our next animated superhero fix. What are some other good shows, DCAU or otherwise?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Klungar posted:

Not sure if this is the right place for it, but the wife and I just finished our marathon of JL/JLU, and are looking for our next animated superhero fix. What are some other good shows, DCAU or otherwise?

Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Spectacular Spider-Man.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Klungar posted:

Batman Animated Series: Because it's where the DCAU started, and is a drat fine noir series with spectacular episodes
Batman: Beyond: Really good Batman Cyberpunk I felt
Batman: Brave and Bold: It is the silver age in tv form, and it is glorious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Klungar posted:

Superman TAS which was way more consistently good compared to Batman TAS.

Also Green Lantern TAS if you can get over the CGI style

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Hoe does the 90s X-Men cartoon hold up?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How much tolerance do you have for Claremontian self-narration and 90's Jim Lee character designs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Compared to Batman? Not at all. It's probably the best of the nineties Marvel cartoons, but that's damning with faint praise.