Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

jisforjosh posted:

Well I screwed myself I guess, as soon as I clicked to change my order on Newegg, it changed status to packaging; no further changes.

Its ok man, its still going to be awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Twerk from Home posted:

Do any of the first wave of GTX 970s have 2 display port on them? It's really frustrating how nVidia partners refuse to put 2-3 miniDP on cards instead of a 2nd DVI or an HDMI.

The first wave of 970s and 980s all have three DisplayPorts I believe (1.2), plus one DVI-I-DL and one HDMI 2.0. You can do G-Sync Surround. They're full-size DPs, though.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

BurritoJustice posted:

If you want to tell which is which, 2.0 has blue accents and 1.0 doesn't.

Well poo poo.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Now the 970s don't seem to be on Microcenter's website at all...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I can confirm the 970s and 980s were sold out at the Boston Microcenter as of 7pm

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
nV did a nice job with their new GPU. All I can see AMD doing is more price cuts at this point plus maybe revamp their gaming bundles. A new top end binned product with a closed loop water cooler will probably only sell if its cheaper than nV's 980 and I don't see how they're going to make money doing that.

They'll probably get whooped on sales/profit wise until their next GPU comes out. Supposedly its going to have HBM if the rumor mill is correct. No word on when its coming but I'd be surprised if they can get it out before June 2015. Late 2015 sounds more realistic IMO.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

Factory Factory posted:

The first wave of 970s and 980s all have three DisplayPorts I believe (1.2), plus one DVI-I-DL and one HDMI 2.0. You can do G-Sync Surround. They're full-size DPs, though.

All the 970s I'm seeing on Newegg have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 DisplayPort. Seems to only be the 980s that have 3 DisplayPorts?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Supgaiz posted:

All the 970s I'm seeing on Newegg have 2 DVI, 1 HDMI, and 1 DisplayPort. Seems to only be the 980s that have 3 DisplayPorts?

The PNY has 3 miniDP, 1 miniHDMI, and 1 DL-DVI

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Supgaiz posted:

That's weird. The standard design is 3DP/1/1.

Dang, you're right.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The coolest things about the PNY version is that all the display connection are on the first slot, so with a waterblock it can be a single slot card (same thing with the 295x2 funnily enough).

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

BurritoJustice posted:

The coolest things about the PNY version is that all the display connection are on the first slot, so with a waterblock it can be a single slot card (same thing with the 295x2 funnily enough).

Dammit, stop giving me excuses.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Grr a 980 looks appetizing...though since I've had a 780 for just under a year now I think I'll hold off for one more generation.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't mind the 2x dual link dvi connectors, since the old 30" 2560x1600 displays are more than good enough for me, and very, very cheap used. It's nice to get 2 of them hooked up to one card.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Will the issues with EVGAs negatively effect performance/lifespan on a 980, or is it a, for lack of a better term, cosmetic issue it's louder than the other companies? I ordered one with Newegg and it was already in placing by the time I saw that they weren't that great (But I guess that means it's time to step off the EVGA train in the future!)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Will the issues with EVGAs negatively effect performance/lifespan on a 980, or is it a, for lack of a better term, cosmetic issue it's louder than the other companies? I ordered one with Newegg and it was already in placing by the time I saw that they weren't that great (But I guess that means it's time to step off the EVGA train in the future!)

It'll just be a noise issue. Nvidia greenlight ensures that vendors don't screw around in ways that negatively affect reliability, performance etc.

Greenlight is supposed to also ensure that coolers are at least quieter than reference though, so I dunno how that snuck through.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Shima Honnou posted:

It just means an EVGA card will be louder than say an MSI one. If the card also runs hotter it might slightly affect your maximum overclock.

It's more an issue of, if product A is better than B at a similar price, buying B is kinda silly.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Ahh, alright. I'm not too worried if it's just sound since I run headphones all the time, but still, ditching EVGA for the next upgrade whenever that is. Hoping this jump will be pretty nice, my current card is a 660 Ti I've had for maybe a year and a half or so. Never could quite get the performance where I wanted it, always felt like contemporary and newer games had outpaced it as soon as I got it.

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

Newegg has the MSI 970 GAMING 4G (the red/black Twin Frozr V one) in stock for $349, and there are currently $30 off $300+ and $50 off $550+ coupons on the Newegg Business site. Grabbed one for ~$329 total with 3-day shipping.

burndtjamb fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 20, 2014

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride
drat, I wish I had known about that coupon thing. Ordered the same one yesterday morning, $360 with 3 day shipping. At least mine will be here monday.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

burndtjamb posted:

Newegg has the MSI 970 GAMING 4G (the red/black Twin Frozr V one) in stock for $349, and there are currently $30 off $300+ and $50 off $550+ coupons on the Newegg Business site. Grabbed one for ~$329 total with 3-day shipping.

Awesome, was able to contact Newegg Support, cancel my old order before it shipped and grabbed this one!

Edit: It shows as out of stock on the list view, but once you actually click in for details, it's in stock and can be ordered.

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 20, 2014

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The MSI was out of stock by the time I checked, but I clicked through to some of the other ones and the Gigabyte one was in stock. All of the cards showed they were out of stock in the list view.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Are the 970s going to be sold out for a while now or is another batch of them going to be available soon?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

spasticColon posted:

Are the 970s going to be sold out for a while now or is another batch of them going to be available soon?

I'd say keep checking back every couple of hours. Newegg would go from out of stock to having more in stock every few hours yesterday. Even today some show as out of stock but are actually in-stock so try.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

jisforjosh posted:

I'd say keep checking back every couple of hours. Newegg would go from out of stock to having more in stock every few hours yesterday. Even today some show as out of stock but are actually in-stock so try.

I won't be able to order a 970 until Friday next week will a second batch of the cards be available by then? I'm kind of surprised that rampant price gouging or ebay scalping hasn't happened yet.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Looking at that 970 to replace my 670. What's the market rate for a 670? I've never encountered a game that taxed (except BF4 on supa high), so it still has legs. I also know its not a 770 or 770ti so i'm being realistic.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

spasticColon posted:

I won't be able to order a 970 until Friday next week will a second batch of the cards be available by then? I'm kind of surprised that rampant price gouging or ebay scalping hasn't happened yet.

Should be, Newegg was saying around the 23rd.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
SO I've been waiting for this generation for a long rear end time. Going to upgrade my GTX 560 (non Ti) finally to a 970. Hardly any UK retailers have them yet though which is hampering my efforts. Currently Scan have a few. Not sure which brand to get this time round though. Normally I would go for ASUS but that's carrying a £30-40 premium at the moment.

I'd also prefer to have 2 DVI outputs, since I'd prefer not to have to mess around with adaptors (again, I didnt realise DVI was being phased out already, I barely stopped using a VGA-DVI adaptor a couple months ago :v:). Any recommendations on which brand to look for? I'm not against a bit of factory OC unless it adds too much to the price.

I'll probably be keeping my 560 on as a Phys-X workhorse, it's not gonna be worth much to sell.

E: having said that I'm not sure my PSU has enough PCI-E power cords to cope with that.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 20, 2014

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

incoherent posted:

Looking at that 970 to replace my 670. What's the market rate for a 670? I've never encountered a game that taxed (except BF4 on supa high), so it still has legs. I also know its not a 770 or 770ti so i'm being realistic.

The 760 is just a rebadged 670, so a little cheaper than what you can get that nowadays. The street price for a 760 is about $200 with some places offering lower. So, uh, start at $150?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ Pretty sure the 670 and 760 have different stream processors and ROPs (but they are very similar)

AirRaid posted:

SO I've been waiting for this generation for a long rear end time. Going to upgrade my GTX 560 (non Ti) finally to a 970. Hardly any UK retailers have them yet though which is hampering my efforts. Currently Scan have a few. Not sure which brand to get this time round though. Normally I would go for ASUS but that's carrying a £30-40 premium at the moment.

I'd also prefer to have 2 DVI outputs, since I'd prefer not to have to mess around with adaptors (again, I didnt realise DVI was being phased out already, I barely stopped using a VGA-DVI adaptor a couple months ago :v:). Any recommendations on which brand to look for? I'm not against a bit of factory OC unless it adds too much to the price.

I'll probably be keeping my 560 on as a Phys-X workhorse, it's not gonna be worth much to sell.

E: having said that I'm not sure my PSU has enough PCI-E power cords to cope with that.

Either ASUS's Strix cooler or MSI Twin Frozr V cooler are known to be very very good. EVGA's solution is apparently a bit lackluster this time around though.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
How are gigabyte's cards? I'm looking at getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684 due to the abundance of displayport connections.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Well I've been OC'ing a bit to take advantage of my AIO headroom that I haven't yet in order to ward off silly decisions. There's a bit more on the table than I realized :v:

edit: 50% higher clock speed than reference. Reference 780ti clocks are such bullshit

edit2: after installing the last nvidia drivers it seems to have introduced massive artifacts in heaven with the same overclock numbers :( lol

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 20, 2014

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Hace posted:

Either ASUS's Strix cooler or MSI Twin Frozr V cooler are known to be very very good. EVGA's solution is apparently a bit lackluster this time around though.

Thanks, Any comments on MSI build quality/reliability/customer service? I've not bought any of their stuff for years.

If all is AOK I'll probably get one of these.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

AirRaid posted:

Thanks, Any comments on MSI build quality/reliability/customer service? I've not bought any of their stuff for years.

If all is AOK I'll probably get one of these.

MSI had fan reliability issues recently but it seems to be mostly related to 280x's. MSI is generally one of the better GPU brands. Customer service is adequate, and they are lenient/reasonable about warranty work. The 7 series coolers have been among the best performing overall while being quiet, which will probably translate to the 900 series I'm sure (although the EVGA thing is a little weird and disconcerting). They are also very reasonably priced

The only gripe I've had with MSI cards that I've personally owned is that the memory has never overclocked as well (or even nearly as well) as other brand counterparts. However my sample size for this is 660ti, 770, and 780ti's and its just a memory brand "issue".

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
They had some life-span issues with the fans that showed up on the 280X's, but they revised the fans in November so any recent revision of the cooler will have the new fans and should be fine and very quiet. When I had to warranty my card recently they had the cooler fixed and shipped back to me in about 7 business days so their warranty support was very good for me at least. The VRAM on my card won't overclock much either but if you luck out with Hynix (instead of Elpida) memory you might have better luck.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Gigabyte likes to stick 3 small garbage fans to every gpu they make, no idea why they won't use 2 good fans instead. Msi has cut the quality of components earlier without telling the customer (article in Finnish): http://muropaketti.com/naytonohjainvalmistajat-leikkaavat-virransyottojen-laatua-vaivihkaa
Msi may or may not have funny coil whine issues too.

I would probably pick Asus, since the cooler is good, Asus doesn't gently caress around cutting corners and generally makes pretty good gpu's, soundcards and motherboards. It's not the fastest nor the cheapest, but in my opinion most reliable.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Deuce posted:

Now the 970s don't seem to be on Microcenter's website at all...

Yeah I can't find it on the site either. Fairfax VA store if that matters. :(

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have a 680GTX serving me well on an older system (i52500k at 4.2 Ghz, 8mb of RAM). I am gaming at 1920x1200 or 1080p (when hooked to the TV).

Am I correct assuming I should probably wait until I build a new system to get a new video card, or is there any specific benefits to getting a 980 or 970 to replace the 680 on this system?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
^^^ Unless you have a burning desire for the bleeding edge, you're fine. Until you feel like getting a higher res monitor there's not much of a reason to jump for the 970 IMO.

Ihmemies posted:

Gigabyte likes to stick 3 small garbage fans to every gpu they make, no idea why they won't use 2 good fans instead. Msi has cut the quality of components earlier without telling the customer (article in Finnish): http://muropaketti.com/naytonohjainvalmistajat-leikkaavat-virransyottojen-laatua-vaivihkaa
Msi may or may not have funny coil whine issues too.

I would probably pick Asus, since the cooler is good, Asus doesn't gently caress around cutting corners and generally makes pretty good gpu's, soundcards and motherboards. It's not the fastest nor the cheapest, but in my opinion most reliable.

I don't think they can get away with with Greenlight, for what it's worth.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

DoctorOfLawls posted:

I have a 680GTX serving me well on an older system (i52500k at 4.2 Ghz, 8mb of RAM). I am gaming at 1920x1200 or 1080p (when hooked to the TV).

Am I correct assuming I should probably wait until I build a new system to get a new video card, or is there any specific benefits to getting a 980 or 970 to replace the 680 on this system?

A 980 is probably overkill at 1200/1080. One of the benchmarks I saw had the 970 pulling 59 min/77 average in BF4 at 1080p/max settings.

Your new system might require a new monitor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm interested to see if memory overclocking even matters. All signs from both GM204 and Tonga point to "not anymore :)" which would be ace since that'd mean more juice for the chip :black101: