Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Can a bank (BOA) take all the money off a prepaid debit card and put it in my account?

Something got messed up in payroll at work and I and others didn't get our direct deposits today. They said they could overnight a debit card with the money on it or send a check but for some reason the check would take lots longer.

I opted for the debit card since they said a bank could do what I'm asking about but just wondering if that's actually true. We use ceridian for payroll if that helps.

edit: for fair and balanced: I believe the screw up was on my company's side, not ceridian. (but I do still blame them for a check taking 3-5 days before shipping regular-rear end usps vs. the fedex or ups shipping today overnight for the [maybe more troublesome] card)

I just hope I'm not stuck going to the atm every day and pulling out the daily-max of cash + 5bux in fees and driving it to the bank all the while having up to two weeks of plastic-pay in my wallet that could get lost or stolen.

edit: unrelated, A/T:S/SQMT success story, I asked a weekish ago about auto-defrost problems on a fridge (why's there a D in fridge but not refrigerator?) Thanks to some advice ITT I googled + read some + watched some youtubes about defrost timer troubleshooting and got mine fixed for $23 buying a defrost thermostat locally (could've been $12 if I wanted to wait for fedex/ups + a .com to give to them) Mine actually wasn't the timer, the most common component to fail.

When I was on unemployment, the default distribution method was a debit card. I had to get the first check on it, but after that I called and had them transfer the balance and direct deposit subsequent checks.

You'd do it by calling the issuer of the card, probably, and not your bank, so if they said you could, you're likely fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

I would happily make a deal with tire shop workers. Stop tightening the nuts so tight that even a 180lb man hopping up and down on the wrench can't dislodge them. Go easy with the power tools so that a person of normal strength can actually change a flat tire.

When I have a flat tire in the middle of the night I have the option of fix-a-flat goo, or sticking my rear end out in late night traffic trying to replace a flat tire, where the lug nuts are drat near impossible to remove by normal human means. So fix-a-flat goo wins.

Please work out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

thrakkorzog posted:

I would happily make a deal with tire shop workers. Stop tightening the nuts so tight that even a 180lb man hopping up and down on the wrench can't dislodge them. Go easy with the power tools so that a person of normal strength can actually change a flat tire.

When I have a flat tire in the middle of the night I have the option of fix-a-flat goo, or sticking my rear end out in late night traffic trying to replace a flat tire, where the lug nuts are drat near impossible to remove by normal human means. So fix-a-flat goo wins.

FCKGW posted:

Please work out.

You clearly have been a lot luckier with your tyre-monkeys than some of us have been.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

So I bought a place last month, and I'm getting mail for the previous owners. They have been getting stuff forwarded by the post office but maybe it ran out after 30 days. I'm actually getting some of their important stuff, like (what looks like) wedding invitations and checks. How do I get in touch with the previous owners? The post office isn't allowed to share their new address I think.

I can't reach their agent either.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

esquilax posted:

So I bought a place last month, and I'm getting mail for the previous owners. They have been getting stuff forwarded by the post office but maybe it ran out after 30 days. I'm actually getting some of their important stuff, like (what looks like) wedding invitations and checks. How do I get in touch with the previous owners? The post office isn't allowed to share their new address I think.

Try running them down on facebook? I mean if you have wedding invitations you should be able to find Person A who's friends with Person B pretty easily. You could contact your mail carrier and tell them about it and see what they can do (I'm assuming it happens a lot). Also what ever agency bought the house from might have a fwd address or a way to get in touch.

If all that fails you should be able to pull the info from your title transfer and stuff(most major municipals have that all online these days). Though honestly that sounds like a lot of work. That netflix and ice cream won't handle it's self, will it?

Blooshoo fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 20, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just return to sender. If it's wedding invitation stuff the sending party likely had other means of contract

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
Put a rubber band around the mail, write "No Longer at Address" on one of the envelopes, and put it in the mailbox.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Just return to sender. If it's wedding invitation stuff the sending party likely had other means of contract

Do this. Just write not at this address or something to that effect on the envelope, and stick it back in your outgoing mail. It won't update their address with whoever is sending stuff, but your mailman should figure it out eventually.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just moved into my first solo apartment and my parents want to buy me a vacuum. What's the best vacuum in the $150-ish price range?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

GobiasIndustries posted:

I just moved into my first solo apartment and my parents want to buy me a vacuum. What's the best vacuum in the $150-ish price range?

There's a product recommendation megathread. I believe someone just posted about a $100 vacuum.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368724&goto=lastpost

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
This is the goon-approved vacuum:

http://smile.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTunnel-T-Series-Bagless-UH70120/dp/B002HFDLCK/

I have had one for several years, I love it.

There is actually one on Amazon now that is both cheaper and better rated:

http://smile.amazon.com/BISSELL-CleanView-Upright-OnePass-9595/dp/B00AZBIZTW

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

When a site like WeatherUnderground says that tomorrow there will be easterly winds, does that mean they're blowing to the east or coming from the east?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

regulargonzalez posted:

When a site like WeatherUnderground says that tomorrow there will be easterly winds, does that mean they're blowing to the east or coming from the east?

Coming from.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I have terrible handwriting and need to handwrite for my job - whats a good way of improving it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manwithastick posted:

I have terrible handwriting and need to handwrite for my job - whats a good way of improving it?

You mean other than practising?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Manwithastick posted:

When you say "handwriting," do you mean cursive, or do you just mean printing?

If it's the latter, try block printing: just write everything as capital letters, the lower-case ones will just be smaller than the upper-case ones.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Please work out.

Please suggest a workout that will help me workout the muscles I would need to move those nuts.

If a full grown man hopping up and down on a tire iron can't make those nuts move, that seems like a pretty good signal that the nuts have been bolted on too tight.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Manwithastick posted:

write slower

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Manwithastick posted:

In addition to what others have said, try different pens. My handwriting is pretty bad, but it's noticeably worse with cheap, big ball-points like a Bic. Try some smaller point models, some with more "gel"-style ink, etc. and see what works well for you.

I don't mean that you need an expensive, "executive" pen, mind you. I've found that my handwriting is noticeably better with 0.3mm pens that cost ~$3 a pop, so it's very worth it to me when handwriting things that others may see (or even just notes I may need to refer to much later).

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

SIHappiness posted:

In addition to what others have said, try different pens. My handwriting is pretty bad, but it's noticeably worse with cheap, big ball-points like a Bic. Try some smaller point models, some with more "gel"-style ink, etc. and see what works well for you.

I don't mean that you need an expensive, "executive" pen, mind you. I've found that my handwriting is noticeably better with 0.3mm pens that cost ~$3 a pop, so it's very worth it to me when handwriting things that others may see (or even just notes I may need to refer to much later).

Whoa, they make .3mm pens? Mega-fine!

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

tuyop posted:

Whoa, they make .3mm pens? Mega-fine!

I have a .05mm pen! At that point they're more art pens than writing pens, though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there a conservative counterpart to, say, Russell Brand's "The Trews" or Rap News? Not that I believe those folks are incorrect, just that I'd like to have the opposite perspectives in my pocket for teaching.

So, are there any conservative criticisms of the news on YouTube? Specifically criticism from a more academic perspective rather than thinly veiled racism or sexism? Something like this would be perfect: http://youtu.be/5OpVm5vZ7mA

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

Please suggest a workout that will help me workout the muscles I would need to move those nuts.

If a full grown man hopping up and down on a tire iron can't make those nuts move...
Heh.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

thrakkorzog posted:

If a full grown man hopping up and down on a tire iron can't make those nuts move, that seems like a pretty good signal that the nuts have been bolted on too tight.

Well, look, I weigh about 180 pounds but I can deadlift 485. Hopping up and down on a tire iron isn't going to generate nearly the amount of force that knuckling onto that poo poo and standing up will. Go work out so that you can solve real world problems that involve a moderate amount of strength.

My wife, who is a mechanic, says that an air gun held down too long will generate about 200-250lb-ft of torque on a normal car, so unless you weigh around that much then you're going to have to use leverage and strength to move the iron. She weighs about 115lbs and deadlifts about 200 and has no trouble changing a tire by sort of deadlifting the iron, because the iron adds enough leverage that you don't have to lift the whole strength of the bolt. You are literally weaker than a small woman if you can't do this.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
So I'm trying to rip a DVD with handbrake but I'm getting weird distortion on the rip that isn't present on the source. Not really sure what the issue is. I've repeated the rip 3 times and every time it comes out looking the same. I don't rip DVDs often (or ever) so I'm not really sure what settings I need to mess with to correct this. Here are some screenshots for comparison.

DVD

Rip

Not sure why I'm getting this weird deinterlaced kinda look. Please tell me what dumb thing I'm doing wrong.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

McKracken posted:

So I'm trying to rip a DVD with handbrake but I'm getting weird distortion on the rip that isn't present on the source. Not really sure what the issue is. I've repeated the rip 3 times and every time it comes out looking the same. I don't rip DVDs often (or ever) so I'm not really sure what settings I need to mess with to correct this. Here are some screenshots for comparison.

DVD

Rip

Not sure why I'm getting this weird deinterlaced kinda look. Please tell me what dumb thing I'm doing wrong.

The fields are in the wrong order. It's been quite some time since I've used Handbrake, but look for a setting called something like Field Ordering and whatever it's set to, reverse it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

tuyop posted:

Well, look, I weigh about 180 pounds but I can deadlift 485. Hopping up and down on a tire iron isn't going to generate nearly the amount of force that knuckling onto that poo poo and standing up will. Go work out so that you can solve real world problems that involve a moderate amount of strength.

My wife, who is a mechanic, says that an air gun held down too long will generate about 200-250lb-ft of torque on a normal car, so unless you weigh around that much then you're going to have to use leverage and strength to move the iron. She weighs about 115lbs and deadlifts about 200 and has no trouble changing a tire by sort of deadlifting the iron, because the iron adds enough leverage that you don't have to lift the whole strength of the bolt. You are literally weaker than a small woman if you can't do this.
I appreciate the fact that you're a gym rat, but you're kind of proving the other guy's point. It doesn't seem unreasonable that a regular guy should be able to loosen a lug nut. OEM specs 70-100 ft-lb, 200-250 is 2-3 TIMES that much. Whether or not thrakkorzog is a weakling or not is a moot point, I'd like to be able to change a tire in a dress shirt on the way to a meeting without having to put on my Everlast shirt with the sleeves ripped off and drink a Suja juice first - or have my wife do it without having to hop up and down on the tire iron and twist an ankle.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

McKracken posted:

Try De-Interlacing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Deadclown posted:

Can you post a screenshot ?

Sorry for late response, this is what I currently see in IE on a save as or upload window.

And it's weird because I just tested it on my personal computer, also new, also running Windows 7, and it worked.

It may be some weird thing where it's blocked by my administrator, but what an odd thing to not allow me to change. :shrug:

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

esquilax posted:

Seems like it wouldn't help, but putting your name on the mailbox will stop most of it. If anything does get through, like others have said just write [x] does not live here.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I just write "MOVED" on the envelope and put it back in the mailbox, I just left an apartment after five years and I was still getting the previous tenant's union newsletter :shrug:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

photomikey posted:

I appreciate the fact that you're a gym rat, but you're kind of proving the other guy's point. It doesn't seem unreasonable that a regular guy should be able to loosen a lug nut. OEM specs 70-100 ft-lb, 200-250 is 2-3 TIMES that much. Whether or not thrakkorzog is a weakling or not is a moot point, I'd like to be able to change a tire in a dress shirt on the way to a meeting without having to put on my Everlast shirt with the sleeves ripped off and drink a Suja juice first - or have my wife do it without having to hop up and down on the tire iron and twist an ankle.

No, just no. It's clear this was probably just a misapplication and misunderstanding of force (jumping up and down on the tire iron). Unless a person is substantially weak and emaciated, they would have been able to take 200-250lb torqued nuts in a position where they can effectively deadlift with leverage. Yes, even in a dress shirt (but good luck avoiding all grease and dirt while changing a tire in one).

A strong person on the other hand would be able to do this with a normal sized wrench and with one hand. A truly strong person would also serve as the car jack while doing this.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Can someone identify this font?

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a Halloween thread up yet?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Looks like Old English Gothic
http://callifonts.com/viewfontsbystyle/oldenglishgothic.html

The second option here seems pretty close, you can probably search for that and find similar.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
e: ^^^ very close :)

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's Engravers Old English Bold/Engravers Old English Bold BT.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Do dryer balls really make a difference in any appreciable way?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

oldpainless posted:

They stick to my legs less.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oldpainless posted:

My girlfriend said they smell less dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadclown
Aug 1, 2014

CzarChasm posted:

Sorry for late response, this is what I currently see in IE on a save as or upload window.

And it's weird because I just tested it on my personal computer, also new, also running Windows 7, and it worked.

It may be some weird thing where it's blocked by my administrator, but what an odd thing to not allow me to change. :shrug:

That's not typically something that will be pushed down by a policy but it's definately possible to do. At least you confirmed that you are doing the correct thing because it's working on the other pc. I would check with your network administrator to see if they are in fact changing the views via group policy.