Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Twitter is the street corner of the 21st century, so yes, most professional comedians will tell a bunch of free jokes on the corner too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
this gimmick is hella funny you should continue to post

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Hey goons what JFL42 shows are you going to? So far I'm booked to see Mike Birbiglia, Andy Kindler's late show (one of them anyway, I hope to go to a bunch of them), Jen Kirkman, Tig Notaro, Pete Holmes, and Broad City but I have about 50 other people I'm going to try and see at some point.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Missing JFL42 this year after attending the first two, but as a longtime MTL JFL guy, I strongly recommend catching the Andy Kindler show on the last night of the run.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah Kindler always has great surprises at his shows, he's also loving hilarious. His style of stand-up and deconstruction of the genre during his act is really funny to me.

I saw Amy Schumer tonight, she was fantastic. Ian Karmel opened but he started early so I only caught the tail end of his set. Gerry Dee was the surprise middle, which really was a surprise because he isn't involved in the fest otherwise. He only did about 10 minutes but it was alright.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
I went to see Nikki glaser and then Dave attell on Thursday night, they were really good, kind of weird crowds though. The Dave attell show was at midnight on a Thursday but there were a lot of people that looked like they were on a field trip with their accounting firm and didnt laugh once, and an old cat lady looking woman who was sitting there by herself in the front row

But something with the JFL42 website hosed up and didnt check me in so now Im missing a credit and cant book anything. I emailed them Friday afternoon about it and they still havent replied. Good poo poo.. good poo poo

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

manyak posted:

I went to see Nikki glaser and then Dave attell on Thursday night, they were really good, kind of weird crowds though. The Dave attell show was at midnight on a Thursday but there were a lot of people that looked like they were on a field trip with their accounting firm and didnt laugh once, and an old cat lady looking woman who was sitting there by herself in the front row

But something with the JFL42 website hosed up and didnt check me in so now Im missing a credit and cant book anything. I emailed them Friday afternoon about it and they still havent replied. Good poo poo.. good poo poo

They were giving tickets away pretty hard for the Thursday shows because nobody was booked for them so not surprised about the accountant looking people. That cat lady comes to every comedy show in this city. Was she on her phone the whole time taking notes? I know exactly who you're talking about

The check-in thing has literally never worked for me but I always get my credit back the next morning at least. That sucks

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

They were giving tickets away pretty hard for the Thursday shows because nobody was booked for them so not surprised about the accountant looking people. That cat lady comes to every comedy show in this city. Was she on her phone the whole time taking notes? I know exactly who you're talking about

The check-in thing has literally never worked for me but I always get my credit back the next morning at least. That sucks

Hahahah yes that was her, I had never seen her before, thats great

They finally emailed me back just now, saying "if you didn't scan your barcode at the event you dont get your credit back, we can't accommodate your request, sorry" so I had to email them back explaining how the system is supposed to work I guess? i never checked in at all last year because i didnt have data on my phone and I always just automatically got the credit back , this is lovely

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

manyak posted:

Hahahah yes that was her, I had never seen her before, thats great

lmao yes I am glad that it is her. Her name is Janice. She was at Chris Gethard's show I saw back in Mayand she sat, alone, in the front row with her big giant bright phone in her face, and Gethard (as well as the openers) all gave her poo poo about it. Her defense was that she was taking notes for her blog. Gethard ripped into her for, no joke, ten minutes telling her to put her goddamn phone away. it was amazing

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Berzerker posted:

lmao yes I am glad that it is her. Her name is Janice. She was at Chris Gethard's show I saw back in Mayand she sat, alone, in the front row with her big giant bright phone in her face, and Gethard (as well as the openers) all gave her poo poo about it. Her defense was that she was taking notes for her blog. Gethard ripped into her for, no joke, ten minutes telling her to put her goddamn phone away. it was amazing

There are very few things funnier than a comedian ripping somebody in the audience who deserves it. I remember Patton Oswalt doing a "7 split with the Melvins where it's him ripping apart somebody on a phone call during his set. It's glorious.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

Lol cool. Dave attell couldnt get any response from her when he was ripping on her, later on he was complaining about the crowd and was like "And ive got this fuckin old lady in the front row who im pretty sure is a figment of my imagination"

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There are very few things funnier than a comedian ripping somebody in the audience who deserves it. I remember Patton Oswalt doing a "7 split with the Melvins where it's him ripping apart somebody on a phone call during his set. It's glorious.

a split 7"? Patton Oswalt/Agoraphobic Nosebleed Comedy Torture Dungeon

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Mike birbiglia was great

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

manyak posted:

Mike birbiglia was great

yep so was Gethard I love that guy. were you at the early one or the late one? I was at the late one and there was a dumb heckler, it was good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I loved Louie ripping into an audience member who kept being disruptive during the taping of Live at the Beacon. Hilarious stuff, really on point, tore the guy a new rear end in a top hat, and ended that section by saying "And now I'm going to take a drink of water for the edit so I can cut that whole bit out because you don't deserve a reward for being an rear end in a top hat." And sure enough that whole section was cut.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

yep so was Gethard I love that guy. were you at the early one or the late one? I was at the late one and there was a dumb heckler, it was good.

I was there too, i genuinely didnt know what the heckler was reacting to or trying to say, i was up basically in the front row and I just heard a girl in the back yell "youre rude" apropos of nothing and i was lost after that

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I was in third or fourth row. She took offense to him using the word "hooker" or something but was too drunk to get her reasoning out so she just said he was rude

Filippo Corridoni
Jun 12, 2014

I'm the fuckin' man
You don't get it, do ya?
Looking at the youtube comment section for a trailer of 'Mulaney', i now realize John Mulaney has a very diverse fanbase.

And they all think this show is gonna suck dick. I hope the TVIV thread has allen gregory levels of outrage and scorn.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, Splitsider had a pretty good rundown of every critic trashing the show. Shame, I really thought he was going to go for something subversive with the whole multicam and Seinfeld-alike thing.

Bummer :(

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I have heard tell that the show really picks up a few episodes in. I'll give it a fair chance because he's John loving Mulaney.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It reminded me of a vaguely updated Seinfeld, a format that I haven't seen in a very long time. The laughing was loving horrific and I wasn't able to tune it out. There were a few times that it seemed like they should've done another take because Mulaney's acting was atrocious. I'll still watch it though because the bits were funny and most comedy TV is garbage anyways and I want Mulaney to have all the money.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mulaney is a massively funny stand up but wow was his show bad. You can't just have him walk from set to set doing bits from his shows with a weak thread connecting them.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I thought the jokes were fine but lord is everyone trying way too hard. The fact that I know the punchlines to a lot of the jokes doesn't help but I'll chalk that up to really selling it for execs with the pilot. Also having Martin Short play a facsimile of himself but not calling the character Martin Short is bogus. It worked to great effect with James Vanderbeek in Don't Trust the B in apt 23, so im not sure why they didn't just go for it.

Most of the supporting cast is pretty blah, though Elliott Gould and Zack Pearlman are fun. I hope it hits a subversive groove but I have little faith for multicam sitcoms.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I bet it sucks making a show that revolves around your standup these days since you obviously want to use your gold stuff, but at the same time basically anyone who sees your name and goes 'oh I like him, let's see this show' already knows exactly what's going to happen when you're in the waiting room wondering how to get drugs without looking like a junkie.

Hell even beyond that, if I remember right (I kinda zoned out) they didn't even have some of the funniest parts like the batman nurse and the part where he says he's sorry because he thinks he's making GBS threads in the doctor's hand and all. It's like hearing your friend tell you a joke he half remembers, after you've already heard the joke for real.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Normally I'd say give it some time, not all sitcoms burst out of the gate like Brooklyn 99. But this show is DOA. Even if it got above-average ratings, it was the adopted baby of FOX's former head, Kevin Reilly, who got fired a couple months ago.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Normally I'd say give it some time, not all sitcoms burst out of the gate like Brooklyn 99. But this show is DOA. Even if it got above-average ratings, it was the adopted baby of FOX's former head, Kevin Reilly, who got fired a couple months ago.

It is not inconceivable that it could find a new home on Netflix or the like

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
I've read so many reviews comparing it to Seinfeld that I'm starting to think they're hoping for the same results as Seinfeld had, i.e. nobody watching/liking the first few seasons then it finding it's stride/audience.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

It is not inconceivable that it could find a new home on Netflix or the like

Netflix is not buying a low-rated critically-panned multicam sitcom.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Urk! posted:

I've read so many reviews comparing it to Seinfeld that I'm starting to think they're hoping for the same results as Seinfeld had, i.e. nobody watching/liking the first few seasons then it finding it's stride/audience.

The problem is nobody watching the early Sienfeld was a bad thing because those guys were missing out on a really good show. Nobody watching Mulaney, and I say this as a big fan of his standup, is a bad thing because the show sucks and no one is gonna watch that poo poo. Like, Jerry could really easily tell his bosses 'ok look we have a sleeper here' and make a case, what's Mulaney gonna do, say 'nah give it time, people love watching a guy walk from set to set just kinda saying poorly written lines that get him from one standup bit to the next'?

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
It really sucks that his NBC pilot sounded much more interesting (similar, but highlighted his sobriety in a field that is ...not).

I'll still pretend to like it a lot until it gets killed.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Never, ever judge a show based solely on the first episode.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I like Daniel Kitson and Stewart Lee, someone recommend me more British standups plz

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Illinois Smith posted:

I like Daniel Kitson and Stewart Lee, someone recommend me more British standups plz

Simon Munnery, Robin Ince, Josie Long, Richard Herring.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jimmy Carr is a great jokester.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FitFortDanga posted:

Never, ever judge a show based solely on the first episode.

The second episode is also not great

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

The second episode is also not great

That was the best one out of five seen by the critics, apparently.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Illinois Smith posted:

Bridget Christie, Tim Key.

Any goons going along to this? It's got most of the comedians me and jyrka mentioned, should be really good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Megazver posted:

Unfortunate.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

jyrka posted:

Simon Munnery

I once saw Simon Munnery in Edinburgh and after the show because it was a nice day he took us to a park and sat under a tree and kept going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Megazver posted:

Well, you're not a real comedian unless your sitcom fails horrifically so I guess this was inevitable