Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I am an easily scared person and even though Dead space 2 has more of an action vibe I was scared by it, same thing with the Metro games. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Azran posted:

I am an easily scared person and even though Dead space 2 has more of an action vibe I was scared by it, same thing with the Metro games. :v:

I'm quite easily scared by games too to be honest. I really liked Condemned 2 for instance but it's hard to play through because half of my playtime is spent trying to psyche myself up to play on. The Dead Space games can be scary at the start but after a while you get more weapons and equipment and realise yo can mow most enemies down. Also they start to spawn at the far end of a hall and run towards you, rather than sneak up on you.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Dead space ain't scary. And this isn't a super smug haha I"m more brave then you type thing. As the poster mention above me, once you get used to the spawns it really doesn't become scary at all. Granted I enjoy them because they are basically RE4 clones and really fun. :v:

The only thing that is scary is that drat loving meteor turret section you have to do. That was just pure bullshit.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Space isn't scary in the same way a lot of modern horror films aren't scary... they just rely on an over abundance of gore and cheap jump scares. The body horror aspect alone could have been genuinely creepy, but there's just something about the dude's design, pretty much being in mining body armor (even more prominent in the second) that sort of makes him seem impermeable to that kind of thing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
As games, the DS series is honestly alright. There's precision shooting, some light puzzles, some minor RPG elements... It gives about zero shits about scaring you, though. Corpse in the hallway? Yeah, that's a necromorph. Every single time. If you can deal with that, they are honestly fun. DS2 is the best.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I haven't really finished the second one. I've played up until a certain point... can't remember what, and just forget about it for a while. The first one is great, though. After a while you sort of realize that you should give every corpse you come across a good stomp or two just because if it's not a necromorph now, it probably will be later on.

e: While we're on the subject of space games... I'd like to give a shoutout to Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. You can get it on Steam, and I'd highly recommend it. It's not exactly a horror game per se, but there's certainly a lot of tense elements and there's a certain section that is straight up designed to be horror. It's hard to describe, but it feels like a very physically draining game. I can only really play it in small bursts because the atmosphere it creates is so overwhelming. Maybe that's just me, though.

The second game had more body horror aspects (particularly those drone things that were pretty much lobotomized prisoners who were converted into living robots) but wasn't really a tense game like the first. You can get both in the Steam version, though.

Here's a bit of a writeup of the underrated gem: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-17-the-chronicles-of-riddick-escape-from-butcher-bay

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 20, 2014

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The first game is the best in my opinion, they had no cutscenes and everything happened in game which is something I love in games. It was also the most 'horror' based game of the series. Though I loved the suits and spike gun in DS2.

I downloaded Outlast recently, I'm about 20-30 minutes in and have had several heart attacks already.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

It mentions the invisible prison monster with its "ominous voice". I remember a lot of people trying to figure out exactly what the hell it's saying (with the general consensus being "ritual"), and there were all these deep theories about what it could possibly mean. A while back, I was going through an old royalty free sound library and I ran across the sample that was used for the monster and a few others (like the whispering in room 209 in the apartments). And yeah, it's all just gibberish. Kinda funny. But still really freaky in the game.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Dead Space isn't scary, but it's tense. It does a good job of keeping you on edge and alert and there's something viscerally satisfying about fighting the urge to run away or panic fire at an enemy and instead calmly stand there and blow off its limbs one by one with well aimed shots.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was pretty well paranoid of not getting killed by the Brutes, since I didn't feel like sitting there while those things spent a minute beating the poo poo out of my corpse.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

EmmyOk posted:

The first game is the best in my opinion, they had no cutscenes and everything happened in game which is something I love in games.

It blows my mind that cutscenes are still a thing.

It's weird because The Thing shows you the monster constantly and is gory as hell but no other movie gave me as many sleepless nights as kid.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 20, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

It still blows my mind that cutscenes are still a thing.

It's weird because The Thing shows you the monster constantly and is gory as hell but no other movie gave me as many sleepless nights as kid.

Not constantly by any means. Off the top of my head I think you only see the monster in 4, maybe 5 scenes depending on how you count? The scenes last over a minute sure, but for the most part the film shows the monster to reinforce that Yeah, the paranoia is well founded, not just for "Blah monster blah!" type effect.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
It's constantly compared to every other successful monster movie. The first time you see the shark fully in Jaws is the "You're going to need a bigger boat" which is over an hour into the movie. You only see glimpses of the Alien until towards the end of the film.

The Thing is the only horror movie I can think of that loses none of its effectiveness by showing the monster fully, completely lit, throughout the movie.

EmmyOk posted:

In my opinion what makes The Thing scary isn't the monster itself but the idea that it could be anyone of your friends. Th person you're speaking to could be right now sizing up your delicious fleshy face.

Yeah that is really what got me as a kid. If only horror games had better ideas they could ride.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In my opinion what makes The Thing scary isn't the monster itself but the idea that it could be anyone of your friends. Th person you're speaking to could be right now sizing up your delicious fleshy face.

Yeah cutscenes are way more common than they should be.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

On that note I remember The Thing PC game being really cool, but it's been forever since I played it.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
It's actually really bad (none of the mechanics worked the way they said they did, transformations were all scripted, being a third person shooter with lock on instead of FPS was a major fuckup, somehow the UFO is there even though it was blown up at the end of the movie) and this very website has a great review of it. I was so hype for that game and holy poo poo was it awful.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
You are wrong on that. It wasn't very good with the actual shooting parts, and the squad mechanic was pretty poorly done overall. Especially the anybody can be the Thing part, because Everybody IS the thing pretty much.
e: Beaten in much greater detail

Fingerless Gloves fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 20, 2014

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

On that note I remember The Thing PC game being really cool, but it's been forever since I played it.

Yeah, the Thing game was an awful buggy mess with extremely scripted transformations.

Don't reinstall it, just read this: http://www.somethingawful.com/game-reviews/the-thing/1/

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Boo. You know what game did that mechanic well? Friday the 13th for the Commodore 64. Jason was *one* of the six or so people wandering around, but it was hard to tell unless you found a body laying around with someone else suspiciously nearby. Meanwhile you could attack anyone you'd like, but killing your own people just meant you were closer to Jason winning.

Also anyone dying was accompanied by this sudden loving screamer image of a big bloody head. That was the scariest game ever.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

It's actually really bad (none of the mechanics worked the way they said they did, transformations were all scripted, being a third person shooter with lock on instead of FPS was a major fuckup, somehow the UFO is there even though it was blown up at the end of the movie) and this very website has a great review of it. I was so hype for that game and holy poo poo was it awful.

They need to attempt it again, most of the ideas were great but it just wasn't cut out for the PS2 era. A multiplayer mode would be sweet too, maybe 8 players trying to achieve some sort of goal but one player is secretly a thing trying to covertly sabotage the team.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Spalec posted:

A multiplayer mode would be sweet too, maybe 8 players trying to achieve some sort of goal but one player is secretly a thing trying to covertly sabotage the team.

This has been an idea I've been stewing on for awhile but I'm poo poo and never get anything done so it'll never happen. Plus it was hard coming up with something for everyone to be doing.

I think the original Thing game coulda been good (I played on the PC) but I'm assuming a lot of the poo poo in there was from the higher ups like most licensed games.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

This has been an idea I've been stewing on for awhile but I'm poo poo and never get anything done so it'll never happen. Plus it was hard coming up with something for everyone to be doing.

I think the original Thing game coulda been good (I played on the PC) but I'm assuming a lot of the poo poo in there was from the higher ups like most licensed games.

You could probably keep the classes the original game had (engineer for fixing/hacking stuff, medic and combat)

I thought you could have non-essential sub-objectives to make you life easier, like hack open the armoury door to get the big guns, but make failure a possibility and if you fail, there's no going back and they're lost for the duration of the game. So if a player does fail the hack, hopefully the other players would be thinking 'Did he just fail because he made a mistake, or did he fail on purpose so we can't get the good weapons :tinfoil: ". Or 'He just blew up the bridge to the next objective, now we have to take the long, dangerous way around...is he just a bad shot with those grenades or is he trying to lead us into a trap?". That kinda scenario would be good for feeding paranoia between teammates.

Obviously friendly fire would always be on, leading to you killing innocent teammates just because you made a mistake. Or if you have limited ammo/health kits, if someone won't give you any ammo because you're out..are they holding out on you because they're the thing?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Have it laid out in a larger area and have it play like State of Decay :v:

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Spalec posted:

You could probably keep the classes the original game had (engineer for fixing/hacking stuff, medic and combat)

I thought you could have non-essential sub-objectives to make you life easier, like hack open the armoury door to get the big guns, but make failure a possibility and if you fail, there's no going back and they're lost for the duration of the game. So if a player does fail the hack, hopefully the other players would be thinking 'Did he just fail because he made a mistake, or did he fail on purpose so we can't get the good weapons :tinfoil: ". Or 'He just blew up the bridge to the next objective, now we have to take the long, dangerous way around...is he just a bad shot with those grenades or is he trying to lead us into a trap?". That kinda scenario would be good for feeding paranoia between teammates.

Obviously friendly fire would always be on, leading to you killing innocent teammates just because you made a mistake. Or if you have limited ammo/health kits, if someone won't give you any ammo because you're out..are they holding out on you because they're the thing?

Stop man I want this game to exist and it never will...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You can't make a Thing game an action game though, because you most likely will end up not making The Thing scary because you're going to need to probably have more than one Thing to shoot.

I think the best way would be an adventure game.

*Edit* Though that co-op shooter ideas sounds good without jeopardizing anything that a single-player game would.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The Thing is the only horror movie I can think of that loses none of its effectiveness by showing the monster fully, completely lit, throughout the movie.

Michael Myers shows up pretty clearly though somewhat infrequently in the original Halloween.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think even better would be if there were some way to not let a player know, directly, that they're part of the Thing. Like maybe just give the Thing player erratic objectives that only they can see, or mess with their heads to make them act suspiciously in subtle ways to where they don't realize that what they're doing is suspicious. That way they wouldn't go into moustache-twirling villain mode and try to undermine the mission in obvious ways, they'd act in all aspects exactly like a regular player but could bust out into Thing mode at any time when alone with a single other player.

Maybe have it so they only do the freaky body horror poo poo if nobody has them in their line-of-sight, at which point the other person is hosed unless they can catch on in time enough to run away or fight back.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
It's been done in SpaceStation 13 changling rounds.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

ayn rand hand job posted:

Michael Myers shows up pretty clearly though somewhat infrequently in the original Halloween.

That's just a giant manchild in a William Shatner mask though.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
When I was in elementary school, we went on a special trip for the ~gifted and talented~ kids to some sort of space camp thing. I don't remember the name of it or what it was for (putting me in there was probably a mistake) but the highlight of my entire elementary school career was this simulation they did--everyone got randomly assigned a job on a loving huge mock spaceship and had to deal with launching successfully, various crises, whatever. I was the Engineer, I remember, and most of my job consisted of putting pegs on a pegboard into a pattern dictated to me by a computer screen. Occasionally I had to go ask people for poo poo or give progress reports or give tasks to other people.

For some probably hosed up reason this experience and The Thing are irrevocably linked in my mind--a totally multiplayer video game where you're part of a team with a clear objective and individualized tasks, but one person has a sinister agenda or is an alien or a Scientologist or whatever would really loving own if done right. The Team wins if they get to outer space or Nirvana or the mall across town or whatever with no hiccups (outing and/or killing the outsider would theoretically be optional) and the Outsider wins if their own agenda is fulfilled. Ideally you'd have several different scenarios with dynamic outsiders not necessarily tied to these--a trip to outer space might be co-opted by a Thing-like Alien, or a member of the team might be a secret religious fundamentalist and want to drive the spacecraft into the sun, stuff like that. You'd also have games where nobody is the bad guy.

Done right, with flickering lights and maintenance tunnels and minigames pertaining to your role that are hard enough without some nefarious fucker trying to ruin everything, this would be a good horror game with insane replay value which is something I think the genre lacks.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I thought the entire purpose of "not showing the monster" was because virtually every single scenario they could realistically put on the screen would be vastly disappointing compared to what people can imagine themselves.

A guy in a william shatner mask isn't exactly some eldritch horror that the mind can't fully comprehend. I doubt anyone would be shocked by his grotesque appearance, since he's just a regular dude :v:

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Sharzak posted:

When I was in elementary school, we went on a special trip for the ~gifted and talented~ kids to some sort of space camp thing. I don't remember the name of it or what it was for (putting me in there was probably a mistake) but the highlight of my entire elementary school career was this simulation they did--everyone got randomly assigned a job on a loving huge mock spaceship and had to deal with launching successfully, various crises, whatever. I was the Engineer, I remember, and most of my job consisted of putting pegs on a pegboard into a pattern dictated to me by a computer screen. Occasionally I had to go ask people for poo poo or give progress reports or give tasks to other people.

For some probably hosed up reason this experience and The Thing are irrevocably linked in my mind--a totally multiplayer video game where you're part of a team with a clear objective and individualized tasks, but one person has a sinister agenda or is an alien or a Scientologist or whatever would really loving own if done right. The Team wins if they get to outer space or Nirvana or the mall across town or whatever with no hiccups (outing and/or killing the outsider would theoretically be optional) and the Outsider wins if their own agenda is fulfilled. Ideally you'd have several different scenarios with dynamic outsiders not necessarily tied to these--a trip to outer space might be co-opted by a Thing-like Alien, or a member of the team might be a secret religious fundamentalist and want to drive the spacecraft into the sun, stuff like that. You'd also have games where nobody is the bad guy.

Done right, with flickering lights and maintenance tunnels and minigames pertaining to your role that are hard enough without some nefarious fucker trying to ruin everything, this would be a good horror game with insane replay value which is something I think the genre lacks.

This is literally Spacestation 13 though. The problem with it is that it looks and controls like poo poo.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Different scenario, but Kane and Lynch's multiplayer was pretty much that. Especially in the second game where there's the "undercover cop" mode. Your objective is to rob a bank/perform some other heist, and one dude is an undercover cop who is doing his best to impede the thing without getting caught. You're also not really allowed to do things like kill civilians, so that's an easy way to figure out who it is etc.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Man, I really liked The Thing game. Of course, I played it well after it came out, so I knew the trust and infection mechanics were broken, that might have something to do with it too.

Although, there was that one boss fight I had trouble with until I broke it by shoving an AI into the room when you're supposed to be alone for extra firepower. I think he was shooting it during the cutscene that played and the boss was nearly dead by the time I got control back.

I'm sad there will never be a sequel that has better mechanics.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Sharzak posted:

At least in My Game Idea That I Will Never Make In Unity But I Wish I Had the Ethic to Make the "thing" (I always called it the infiltrator) would be able to convert other people and their objectives would change (a scenario could be two different things that have to be done/fixed at the same time in the "camp" or level or what have you so you have to split up and the infiltrator could convert whoever came with him). Plus there'd be scenarios where two people are infiltrators so there'd be situations where literally one person is still human and two competing groups of infiltrators wouldn't know and also scenarios where everyone is human.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

This is literally Spacestation 13 though. The problem with it is that it looks and controls like poo poo.

Yeah Space Station 13 is in that genre of "Games That Have Awesome Stories But Are Absolute Garbage to Play" with Dwarf Fortress and EVE Online.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I feel like aspects of Assassin's Creed multiplayer could be used in a Thing-type multiplayer scenario.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

At least in My Game Idea That I Will Never Make In Unity But I Wish I Had the Ethic to Make the "thing" (I always called it the infiltrator) would be able to convert other people and their objectives would change (a scenario could be two different things that have to be done/fixed at the same time in the "camp" or level or what have you so you have to split up and the infiltrator could convert whoever came with him). Plus there'd be scenarios where two people are infiltrators so there'd be situations where literally one person is still human and two competing groups of infiltrators wouldn't know and also scenarios where everyone is human.

Yeah Space Station 13 is in that genre of "Games That Have Awesome Stories But Are Absolute Garbage to Play" with Dwarf Fortress and EVE Online.

SS13 is really too chaotic to be scary anyway. Yeah you might get ambushed and consumed by a changeling, but you're just as likely to get murdered by some random asshat with a toolbox just because he feels like it, so there's no real feeling of "who can I trust?", because it's essentially smarter to just assume everybody is trying to kill you. I feel like this is going to be a problem with any kind of multiplayer thing; look at Assassin's Creed MP for a similar problem. Cool idea: you're a hunter blending in with the crowd, trying to identify your target while knowing that someone else out there is doing the same to you, so you need to carefully pick your moment to attack because doing so potentially exposes you to your own hunter. Actual experience: Some guy charges and jumps on you 10 seconds into the round, completely ignoring any kind of subtlety or mind games.

Also I think the movie of The Thing stands up just because the monster effects in it are loving awesome. Yeah they show the monster a lot for a horror movie, but each time it's something new and crazier than the last time you saw it. Basically the only bad scene with the monster is right at the very end where it's a claymation kind of thing that just doesn't quite live up to the fidelity of the previous appearances.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
I finished Rule Of Rose.

It was really lovely in a lot of ways but I can't say I regret playing it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

I finished Rule Of Rose.

It was really lovely in a lot of ways but I can't say I regret playing it.
Yeah, its one of those games that really needs and deserves a remake, because the gameplay is pretty bad, but everything else about it is great. It won't though, sadly.

On the bright side at least the other game I thought really needed a remake to get the gameplay it deserved, Pathologic, is going to get one now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

:stare: