Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Sometimes I want people to reply-all, like when I'm asking for approval of something. If they just reply to me, the rest of the help desk doesn't see it until/unless I forward it.

This isn't a problem when our email works and I can send as the helpdesk instead of myself, but we're in the middle of migrating to Office 365 and it isn't working yet. As a side note, should it take forever to transition to Office 365? Currently only IT is on it. They've been testing for months which is fine, but the migration started and they moved like...20 people. Then again from the bits I've been able to gather, email and active directory both are horrible patchwork nightmares, with, e.g., three (at least) "accounting users" groups with slight variations. Which one is an accounting user supposed to be in? Nobody knows! New users are usually just created by copying a random old user. This seems like it could be fine, but there's never any consistency so it's not always the same users being copied so their permissions are never quite the same...email accounts get created, some have attachment size limits, some don't (that was fun trying to track down why only certain users couldn't scan to email properly)

I have nothing to do with AD or email. The most I can do is change a password or unlock an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

RFC2324 posted:

With only a few exceptions, not hitting reply to all in my org will get you in trouble. I got chewed out once for removing redundant people from a chain(they were either included in lists, or not relevant to the issue).

Some people are just conditioned to doing it that way.

I've known some people who also were conditioned to require a reply to every email, even ones without actually asking a question. Like some sort of manual read-receipt, except it runs into situations of got-it-that-you-got-it chaining.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Che Delilas posted:

The thought of the loving Google Secret Service sending a Cease and Desist on my behalf is somehow so appealing to me.

If you get an email with one of those "unsubscribe me" links and report it as spam Google just goes to the link and unsubscribes you itself.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

All you can do is resend the same email, bold the part they need to read in size 20 red font, and hope it works.

The supervisor for the Pharmacy does this by default for things that she deems important (not just large, bold, red letters but also highlighted in yellow). Apparently just bolding or italicizing something isn't enough. I mean, I can understand it for something like "check to make sure *opiate based drug* has x amount of vials in the vault" since there are quite a few drugs that have similar sounding/looking names, but I sure as poo poo don't need that for "OMG, the printer on my desk doesn't work", particularly since there is a printer less than 3 feet away that she can print to.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mattavist posted:

If you get an email with one of those "unsubscribe me" links and report it as spam Google just goes to the link and unsubscribes you itself.

Yes, thank you for throwing a wet blanket over the joke. But I did get a popup asking me whether I wanted them to do that, as I said.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Whenever I send out an email to all our users to announce an upgrade or outage or something, I always get one or two people who reply back to me with an "Ok" or "Thanks" or something. I'm glad their reading it, but they can see I'm sending it to the "All Employees" list, why do they think I need a personal reply?

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
More tickets coming in from France for me.

Seems our French support guy was finally let go which was an adventure in itself. Most engineers were closing 100 tickets a month. Turns out this guy closed 11 last year :wtc: Seems you can get away with a lot when your manager constantly changes and they are in America and don't speak French.

After all the hoops had been jumped through and HR & legal were there for a 'big meeting' with him, he pulled a masterstroke and didn't turn up to the meeting or acknowledge any communications.

Took another 3 months and in the end the suggestions are he was paid off to resign.

And then there was the guy in another European country who was on long term sick for 12 months (on full pay) and someone noticed when Googling he was now the elected full-time mayor of a reasonable sized town.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Those guys were both living the dream

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I know someone whose team had a guy who was sent to an international destination for work, and did absolutely no work for six months on the grounds that he did not have an electric kettle.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

guppy posted:

I know someone whose team had a guy who was sent to an international destination for work, and did absolutely no work for six months on the grounds that he did not have an electric kettle.

No man can be expected to do any amount of work without a proper cup of tea. :britain:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

spankmeister posted:

No man can be expected to do any amount of work without a proper cup of tea. :britain:

On the other hand, any British expat should be capable of rigging up a kettle and teapot out of a soda can, cardboard and sticky back plastic.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The ability to have a cup of tea is very important.

quote:

Similar to every British tank since the Centurion, and most other British AFVs, Challenger 2 contains a boiling vessel (BV) also known as a kettle or bivvie for water which can be used to brew tea, produce other hot beverages and heat boil-in-the-bag meals contained in ration packs. This BV requirement is general for armoured vehicles of the British Armed Forces, and is unique to the armed forces of the UK.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

The ability to have a cup of tea is very important.

Thanks, I was actually googling for that to post!

But as you can imagine searching for various combinations of "kettle", "water heater", "tank" and "british" does not produce the results I wanted.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

guppy posted:

That guy should be posting here.
"A ticket came in, but I didn't so much as look up from the paper because I didn't have a kettle"

And we should all be on his side.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Inspector_666 posted:

I did this once. The judo club at my college kept e-mailing me a year after I graduated and moved back home, and my e-mails directly to the head of it didn't stop them.

I felt dirty.

I do this all the time, since there are quite a few people out there who think my gmail address is theirs. I think my favorite was when someone added me to some church group's email list and started sending me emails demanding that I come to their meetings and play the guitar. When I replied and said "I'm not the person you are trying to contact, please remove me from this list," their only response was "Yes, you are the person I am trying to contact..." :downs:

There's also some real estate lawyer's paralegal who keeps sending me some poor guy's legal documents and asking why he isn't getting back to him about them; I've replied every time telling him that I'm not that guy and to please stop sending me his confidential legal paperwork and every time the paralegal gets all huffy and replies "Well this is the email the real estate agent gave me!" and continues to send me more documents. :cripes:

I've also tried getting my email address off some lady's Citibank account, but trying to explain to a Citibank phone rep that someone who is not you has used your email address on their credit card account and no, you can't log into "your" account to change the email address because it isn't your account is like trying to teach calculus to a goldfish. So apparently I'm doomed to continue getting this random woman's monthly credit card statements forever. (She's not been doing so well paying more than the minimum on her huge balance the last couple months; if I only knew her actual contact info I'd send her a link to BFC... :v: )

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Knormal posted:

Whenever I send out an email to all our users to announce an upgrade or outage or something, I always get one or two people who reply back to me with an "Ok" or "Thanks" or something. I'm glad their reading it, but they can see I'm sending it to the "All Employees" list, why do they think I need a personal reply?

You can 100% fix this, send the email to yourself and BCC everyone else. All bulk emails in a company should be this way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

dennyk posted:

I do this all the time, since there are quite a few people out there who think my gmail address is theirs. I think my favorite was when someone added me to some church group's email list and started sending me emails demanding that I come to their meetings and play the guitar. When I replied and said "I'm not the person you are trying to contact, please remove me from this list," their only response was "Yes, you are the person I am trying to contact..." :downs:

There's also some real estate lawyer's paralegal who keeps sending me some poor guy's legal documents and asking why he isn't getting back to him about them; I've replied every time telling him that I'm not that guy and to please stop sending me his confidential legal paperwork and every time the paralegal gets all huffy and replies "Well this is the email the real estate agent gave me!" and continues to send me more documents. :cripes:

I've also tried getting my email address off some lady's Citibank account, but trying to explain to a Citibank phone rep that someone who is not you has used your email address on their credit card account and no, you can't log into "your" account to change the email address because it isn't your account is like trying to teach calculus to a goldfish. So apparently I'm doomed to continue getting this random woman's monthly credit card statements forever. (She's not been doing so well paying more than the minimum on her huge balance the last couple months; if I only knew her actual contact info I'd send her a link to BFC... :v: )

Don't post your actual email address but what is it that makes everyone think it is theirs?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Cojawfee posted:

Don't post your actual email address but what is it that makes everyone think it is theirs?

It's basically a name @gmail.com, so a lot of not-so-Internet-literate people with the same name apparently assume that it's somehow magically their email address. Price of being an early adopter, I guess. :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

dennyk posted:

It's basically a name @gmail.com, so a lot of not-so-Internet-literate people with the same name apparently assume that it's somehow magically their email address. Price of being an early adopter, I guess. :v:

Mines not a name, and hell, its fairly unique (online nickname I've been using for ages.) I have an Australian jail guard and a British farmer who think its their email address. Seems to have stopped since I started emailing back saying "not who you think this is". Fortunately nobody has argued.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have the opposite problem. My email is FirstMLast@gmail. The problem is my middle name and last name both start with H. So I write it down or tell someone and they leave out the second H. So some other guy out there with my name gets some of my emails. So now I just have to say "two H's."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

People generally don't understand how email addresses and domains work. We've had clients who printed up a bunch of business cards with their web address and email addresses on before, and then when asked for the details to their domain control panel so we can make the relevant DNS changes it turns out that they just picked the domain name, as opposed to checking whether it was available and registering it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think that was a big point in that Donald Trump firing fantasy show. One group made up a bunch of promotional materials for some thing they were doing and didn't even bother checking to see the domain they wanted to use was already taken.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Cojawfee posted:

I have the opposite problem. My email is FirstMLast@gmail. The problem is my middle name and last name both start with H. So I write it down or tell someone and they leave out the second H. So some other guy out there with my name gets some of my emails. So now I just have to say "two H's."

Tell them it's First.M.Last@gmail. Gmail ignores dots in its e-mail addresses entirely.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zemyla posted:

Tell them it's First.M.Last@gmail. Gmail ignores dots in its e-mail addresses entirely.

I forgot about that, thanks.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Zemyla posted:

Someone told me once that at first they didn't, so there were people who registered something like John.Whatever@gmail.com and JohnWhatever@gmail.com and now get each other's mail. Anyone know if that's true and if/how that was fixed?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

dennyk posted:

The obvious answer is to agree to play the guitar at their meetings. Even better if you show up and try to play the guitar.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

dennyk posted:

I do this all the time, since there are quite a few people out there who think my gmail address is theirs.

My gmail filter list is over 700 entries for this very reason. I have the bank account info, social security numbers, and general login/password combinations for more people who share my name than you'd think possible.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Taeke posted:

Someone told me once that at first they didn't, so there were people who registered something like John.Whatever@gmail.com and JohnWhatever@gmail.com and now get each other's mail. Anyone know if that's true and if/how that was fixed?

That was like, the day gmail launched or some poo poo(assuming that's even true, I'm not sure), it didn't and does not actually affect anyone. Right now if your email is officially john.r.smith you can log in as johnrsmith or jo..hn.r.....s.m.i.t....h or whatever. Same goes for people emailing you.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A cool trick is that google also ignores everything between a '+' and '@gmail.com'

This allows you to sign up for stuff and keep track of who is sharing your address.

If you sign up for an account at suspiciousware.ru you can use the address 'myemail+suspiciousware.ru@gmail.com'

Then if you start getting spam with that address, you know who sold you out.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It gets annoying when a website refuses to let you use an email address with a + in it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cojawfee posted:

It gets annoying when a website refuses to let you use an email address with a + in it.

Those are the scumbags who are selling you out!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Those are the scumbags who are selling you out!
Yeah, and there are a lot of them. I don't think I've ever been able to use that one weird trick before.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, and there are a lot of them. I don't think I've ever been able to use that one weird trick before.

So far I've never found a site that doesn't let you do that. Even twitter lets you do it which is great since it lets you have multiple accounts tied to the same email.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

dennyk posted:

I do this all the time, since there are quite a few people out there who think my gmail address is theirs.

One of my secondary accounts is (first initial)(somewhat uncommon last name)@gmail.com, fortunately all I do with it is forced it to my primary one (I use Google Apps for my own domain for that). When the same issue came up, I put a vacation autoreply on the secondary account (only) stating who I was, that it was my email address and there had been a lot of confusion, but if I wasn't who they intended, they should check the address.

Some of the apology emails I see from time to time are good, but it's really great when someone contacts you going "I'm so sorry, I'll be careful when I give out (first initial)(somewhat uncommon last name)69@gmail.com in future"

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Neither the period thing nor the + thing have to do with google and instead have to do with RFC6531

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

One of my secondary accounts is (first initial)(somewhat uncommon last name)@gmail.com, fortunately all I do with it is forced it to my primary one (I use Google Apps for my own domain for that). When the same issue came up, I put a vacation autoreply on the secondary account (only) stating who I was, that it was my email address and there had been a lot of confusion, but if I wasn't who they intended, they should check the address.

Some of the apology emails I see from time to time are good, but it's really great when someone contacts you going "I'm so sorry, I'll be careful when I give out (first initial)(somewhat uncommon last name)69@gmail.com in future"

Lots of older people put their birthyear at the end of their usernames/emails.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Volmarias posted:

My sixth grade teacher gave out a "read all of the instructions before you start" quiz, which was both sides of the paper, and slowly got stranger and stranger until the very end, which was "disregard all of the previous questions, sign your name, and sit quietly until your paper is collected."

You could tell who ignored his explicit "read the whole thing!" instructions when they started standing up to try to lick their elbow.

When I taught 10th grade World History and 11th grade American History I made up a mid-term exam that was worth 25% of the students' grade that had 500 questions (actually 50 questions repeated 10 times with answers that made absolutely no sense). I told the students to carefully read the instructions before starting the exam, casually mentioned there were 500 questions, and smiled evilly at the panicked expressions. 15 minutes of strained silence passed before the first student read the instructions, which was evident by the "sonnuvabitch!" snarl. The instructions were convoluted, obscure and full of platitudes, but boiled down to telling the students to write their name, date, class information, and initial each page in the bottom right corner. For extra credit they could stand and cry out "Go Irish!".

One of the smartest students in the class was on the verge of a nervous break-down because she thought she'd completely blown the test because she didn't recognize any of the answers to the questions. A couple minutes after everyone was done someone finally whispered for her to read the instructions. She cried in relief at the end and was the only one to say "Go Irish". Then she flipped me off.

I gave her double extra credit for it.

Zhiwau
Sep 13, 2005
Wouldn't everything look more dull without this message?
How the hell can you give 25% of grade based on a display od functional literacy? Don't you have a curriculum and/or supervision?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would usually be against that form of test, but the amount of people that don't read manuals and then complain that poo poo doesn't work astounds me, so i'm all for it.

E: I am wondering what sort of test environment you have that lets people whisper to eachother though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Zhiwau posted:

How the hell can you give 25% of grade based on a display od functional literacy? Don't you have a curriculum and/or supervision?

Even history teachers don't think history is worth learning.

• Locked thread