Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I did 28 on the virtuoso this morning and the water finished draining just about 15 seconds before the timer went off, close to perfect. The coffee tastes great too... I might try 26 tomorrow but I think that did the trick, who would have known just changing it that much on the grinder would have dropped a minute from the steeping time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

On espressos changing one click can be the difference between a perfect 30 second shot and a sour, gross 15 second shot. It's kind of fascinating and frustrating.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
If anyone is thinking about upgrading their behmor 1600 to the plus panel, I would highly advise against it.

The first issue is that it adds an unattended countdown warning. If you don't see it (and it doesn't beep or alert you in any way) it stops your roast. I'm sitting right there and have missed it 3-4 times. It sucks. It adds it to both manual and the programs.

The second is that manual mode at flu power has a if where it doesn't cycle the power elements ever. This means you'll usually overheat the roaster causing it to just shut off, not even go into cooling mode.

I've wasted about 5lbs of coffee on the new panel, ripping it out before I roast again. If you can't find an original non-plus model i would probably look at a different roaster.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
For what it's worth, I've had none of these problems.

The new unattended safety feature is pretty lame, but I've yet to miss it. Apparently he was more or less forced to add it to satisfy lawyers or his insurance provider.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

geetee posted:

For what it's worth, I've had none of these problems.

The new unattended safety feature is pretty lame, but I've yet to miss it. Apparently he was more or less forced to add it to satisfy lawyers or his insurance provider.

I guess I could set a timer, but I wish it beeped or did something where it would alert you besides just text., I don't hate the feature all that much, just how it was implemented. Blinking for 30 seconds is easy to miss if you are there but reading your phone or something. And when it wrecks your roast you now have to wait the 10mins till cool down and start over, basically taking nearly 30 mins total and loss of beans.

On manual mode if you go P5, do the heating elements cycle like they would on P1 (when it gets up to max temp anyways not on heat up)? They shipped me a new panel and both operate the same way.

Most of the time on the first roast it is fine, but if you do a second one and there is any heat left on the behmor it will trip it (err2). The problem is I've hit it so often I'm scared of it happening again. Pretty sure it shouldn't just leave the elements on and not cycle them when it gets max. Otherwise I have to manually sit there and go to 75% and back to keep it under temp.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I only do one roast at a time, so that's probably why I'm not overheating. Agree that a beep would be a huge improvement.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I guess I need to figure out if I can set an alarm for it in my roasting software, that would probably help quite a bit.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Posting this from the Royal Mile goon coffee thread because, drat.

Valicious posted:

Just made up a doubleshot of Etheopian Dumerso that was sent to me already ground since I don't have a grinder. I steamed some heavy cream and added that on top too.
There are certain moments that seem to exist within a separate time stream from the rest of the day. Listening to your favorite headphones, opening that really great card in a pack of trading cards, leaning back in a small cafe surrounded by nothing but birds and flowers and your small but exquisite lunch, these are things that come to mind when trying to describe just where I went to upon that first sip.
The rich texture was the first thing I noticed. My first thought was how the sheets feel in a really great hotel. You've been traveling all day, and then you can just relax and meld into them. It was like this for my mouth, and it was a challenge not to drink it fast just to have this constant sensation.
Then the flavor hit. I'm sure you've read many reviews of food or drink where the writer compares their first taste with a flavor explosion or a smack in the face, this was nothing like that. It was a like a lover's caress, gentle and a reminder of how it should really be. Subtle notes of chocolate dancing upon my palette even through the heavy cream.

Seriously, buy a coffee subscription. You will thank yourself every morning.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, Royal Mile loving rocks. The Tanzania has made some of the best espresso I've ever had.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dik-dik posted:

Yeah, Royal Mile loving rocks. The Tanzania has made some of the best espresso I've ever had.

Thanks for this. Been a bit of a tough month so this means a lot.

I'm trying to run down the stock on the Mexican and Tanz so 10 gets you a 10 ounce bag shipped. It's essentially what you would pay for it wholesale. I can roast it darker if you like that too.

http://royalmilecoffee.com/products/goon-coffee-with-chicken-cheese

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 12, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

MasterControl posted:

I'm trying to run down the stock on the Mexican and Tanz so 10 gets you a 10 ounce bag shipped. It's essentially what you would pay for it wholesale. I can roast it darker if you like that too.

I do french pressed cold brew in the fridge via the Tonx recipe, these will be pretty good with that, right?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I do french pressed cold brew in the fridge via the Tonx recipe, these will be pretty good with that, right?

I believe so because I actually bought these two for tapped cold brews purposes. We had to take a different route this summer and didn't get a chance to get them out into farmers like that though.

My opinion is the Tanz has this interesting spicy (maybe chicory?) note to it while the Mexican was that total smooth chocolate taste one expects. I feel The Tanz was a little more like gradys cold brew if you've had them before. A few people have ordered them for that purpose but I didn't quite check up on if they liked them.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

MasterControl posted:

Purchased!

e: rather, I tried to purchase. is it 10 + ship or 10?

dhrusis fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 12, 2014

RedChops
Sep 8, 2014
I love my Saeco Vienna Deluxe superautomatic machine.

I realize why a lot of people don't seem to like these things, but after a bunch of tweaking, it makes a darn good cup of espresso, with near perfect crema. Plus, the thing is a tank, I've totally jammed the internal mechanics, removed one screw and fixed it in a few minutes.

All my coffee comes from this roaster around the block from me, http://www.benttreecoffee.com/. I've talked with these guys, they know where all their coffee comes from, how old it is, etc, and you can even watch them roasting it.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
For kalita 155 / virtuoso people .. I've been trying coarser grinds around 27 and higher temps of ~207F. Been some of the best coffee I've made. Usually I was around 23 and 203F.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Is there any benefit to use an actual milk frothing pitcher over, say, a measuring cup?
What are the tangible benefits to the steam wand upgrade? I haven't had anything that stands out as a problem with my Gaggia Classic stock wand. I'm steaming more though, so I'm curious.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dhrusis posted:

Purchased!

e: rather, I tried to purchase. is it 10 + ship or 10?

Should be 10 total unless you live in jerz for taxes, was it not?

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

MasterControl posted:

Should be 10 total unless you live in jerz for taxes, was it not?

it wanted 6.95 shipped to Texas... do I need a code maybe?

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dhrusis posted:

it wanted 6.95 shipped to Texas... do I need a code maybe?

Weird, sorry about that. It might be related to two item purchases. I did specify free shipping for the code in shopify. I'll take a look but I can refund you the difference if you made the order? Or anyone else.

On another note we have coffee plants. They're pretty durable if you're looking for a house plant. Though they do consume a bit of water. Here are a few of ours below. This is our kitchen window that gets all day sun.

Some were bought from amazon ($26 shipped) and a few from the farmers market in Phillys rittenhouse square for $2 each.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any recommended recipes for the Chemex? Sweet Maria's recommends 7.25g coffee/5 oz which seems really low compared to CCD and French press methods.

Also, not sure how quick it should be pouring through...I'm doing the initial bloom and then a slow pour, but no idea if my grind is too fine/coarse because I'm not sure how quick it should pour through the filter.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

MasterControl posted:

Weird, sorry about that. It might be related to two item purchases. I did specify free shipping for the code in shopify. I'll take a look but I can refund you the difference if you made the order? Or anyone else.

On another note we have coffee plants. They're pretty durable if you're looking for a house plant. Though they do consume a bit of water. Here are a few of ours below. This is our kitchen window that gets all day sun.

Some were bought from amazon ($26 shipped) and a few from the farmers market in Phillys rittenhouse square for $2 each.

Just bought because I want to try some of this awesome Tanzania -- it charged me 16.95. Feel free to refund me :-)

e: can you espresso roast it for me?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Just bought 1 tanz and 1 mexico. Came out to $25.95? (Order #1234)

E: regular (light) roast, please!

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Reposting this because I'm still trying to figure out an answer.
Has anyone ever added a PID to their Classic? The mod process scares me, and I don't want to have to cut/drill metal.

Valicious posted:

Is there any benefit to use an actual milk frothing pitcher over, say, a measuring cup?
What are the tangible benefits to the steam wand upgrade? I haven't had anything that stands out as a problem with my Gaggia Classic stock wand. I'm steaming more though, so I'm curious.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Valicious posted:

Reposting this because I'm still trying to figure out an answer.
Has anyone ever added a PID to their Classic? The mod process scares me, and I don't want to have to cut/drill metal.

I've done it. It doesn't require any drilling or cutting. Feel free to look through my posting history on this thread or send me a PM if you're curious. I used the Auber kit and it was super easy/straightforward. Definitely more money than it would cost to do it 100% DIY, but it's basically plug-n-play, so you pay for the convenience. That said, if you want to go the 100% DIY route, I could probably help you set it up/figure out where to plug in the wires, since it really is super easy.

Also: re: steam wand upgrade. I was never able to get good quality milk with the panarillo wand. With the steam wand mod (swapping out the Gaggia wand for the Rancilio Silvia wand) and the auber PID (I opted for the one with steam control), I get Latex-paint consistency in ~15 seconds every single time I steam milk. It's amazing. It's gotten to the point where there's really only one coffee shop in town that I go to anymore because I know if I go anywhere else I'll be getting a drink that, at best, matches what I can make at home. No more sad cappuccinos with giant heads of dry, stiff foam on top.

I also recently changed the PID settings on my Auber so it's shooting for 230 F instead of 216 or whatever it started with, with slightly more aggressive PID parameters (can't remember them off hand but they're in the reddit link I posted a few posts ago). Now I can basically pull shots back-to-back, whereas before I had to wait ~5 minutes in between each shot for the machine to warm back up. It's loving fantastic.

I truly love my PIDed Gaggia and I don't think there's anything else out there that can make espresso this good for this little money.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 15, 2014

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dik-dik posted:

Just bought 1 tanz and 1 mexico. Came out to $25.95? (Order #1234)

E: regular (light) roast, please!

Maybe there's an issue with the discount code, but I refunded some orders just now. Pm me
If I missed anyone.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

nwin posted:

Any recommended recipes for the Chemex? Sweet Maria's recommends 7.25g coffee/5 oz which seems really low compared to CCD and French press methods.

Also, not sure how quick it should be pouring through...I'm doing the initial bloom and then a slow pour, but no idea if my grind is too fine/coarse because I'm not sure how quick it should pour through the filter.

I like doing 1:17 coffee to water ratio. I don't really have a specific brew time I aim for, I kinda just dialed in my grind by taste - if it tasted overextracted, I bumped it a bit coarser, if it tasted underextracted I made it a bit finer. I'm sure there's a more scientific way to go about it but at the end of the day my coffee tastes amazing to me which is what matters.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

MasterControl posted:

Maybe there's an issue with the discount code, but I refunded some orders just now. Pm me
If I missed anyone.

Just got the refund, cheers! I'm excited for another batch of the tanz and the chance to check out the mexico.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

MasterControl posted:

If I missed anyone.

You got me. Thanks MC, eager to try the Tanz out!

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

dik-dik posted:

I've done it. It doesn't require any drilling or cutting. Feel free to look through my posting history on this thread or send me a PM if you're curious. I used the Auber kit and it was super easy/straightforward. Definitely more money than it would cost to do it 100% DIY, but it's basically plug-n-play, so you pay for the convenience. That said, if you want to go the 100% DIY route, I could probably help you set it up/figure out where to plug in the wires, since it really is super easy.

Also: re: steam wand upgrade. I was never able to get good quality milk with the panarillo wand. With the steam wand mod (swapping out the Gaggia wand for the Rancilio Silvia wand) and the auber PID (I opted for the one with steam control), I get Latex-paint consistency in ~15 seconds every single time I steam milk. It's amazing. It's gotten to the point where there's really only one coffee shop in town that I go to anymore because I know if I go anywhere else I'll be getting a drink that, at best, matches what I can make at home. No more sad cappuccinos with giant heads of dry, stiff foam on top.

I also recently changed the PID settings on my Auber so it's shooting for 230 F instead of 216 or whatever it started with, with slightly more aggressive PID parameters (can't remember them off hand but they're in the reddit link I posted a few posts ago). Now I can basically pull shots back-to-back, whereas before I had to wait ~5 minutes in between each shot for the machine to warm back up. It's loving fantastic.

I truly love my PIDed Gaggia and I don't think there's anything else out there that can make espresso this good for this little money.

Thanks so much for the response! Which version of the Silvia Steam Wand do you have? V1, V2, or V3? The V3 seems like a major upgrade over the V2, as it has an articulating arm. Everything I've read seems to point to the V3 being quite the project to install though. (whereas the V2 more or less just snaps in)
I wish I could tell if this was the V2 or V3.
http://www.espressoparts.com/rancilio-silvia-old-version-steam-wand
The new V3
http://www.espressoparts.com/rancilio-silvia-v3-steam-wand
Guide to both
http://kabalin.blogspot.com/2014/05/gaggia-classic-steam-wand-upgrade.html
(Hmm..the guide says I'd need the full steam wand assembly, which is $70 rather than just the V2 wand which is $24.)

A cool guide for DIY PID
http://kabalin.blogspot.com/2014/03/gaggia-classic-controlling-temperature.html
Given that DIY is $75 and the kit is double that, I'm thinking DIY.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Steam Wand

I bought the "old version" that you linked from Espresso Parts (I believe it's the V2). It fit into my Gaggia as though it were meant for it. No need to buy the full assembly. Here's a video some guy made wherein he did the exact same thing that I did; no tools required beyond a wrench:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI15wBdx0G8

An articulating arm might be nice, but I've never run into any trouble with the steam arm the way it is in mine, or wished for anything more than I have. Like I said, I get perfect microfoam super quickly out of the wand as it is—what more can you ask for?

Note: some people have mentioned things about sanding the Silvia wand to make it fit better in the Gaggia. I didn't need to do this, and neither did the guy in the video. I would try it without sanding first. It will almost certainly fit just fine.

PID

That looks like a really good deal! If I were you, I would definitely do it. I'm actually really jealous since I paid a lot more than that for the kit and if I'd found that link I could've spent that money on beans instead. Oh well.

Let me know if you run into any problems. I didn't read the whole post, but if it doesn't include steam control I would definitely recommend adding that if you will ever make even a single milk drink. Shouldn't be much harder than buying a couple extra wires and plugging them in to the steam switch. I can even send you the instructions that came with my kit if you want, so you can make sure you're plugging things into the right places. Should pretty much make the entire process fool proof. Send me a PM if you're interested or if you need any help. I believe everyone should be in possession of a good espresso machine (and I believe all Gaggia classic owners should PID their classics to bring out their full potential), so I will do everything in my power to help others achieve this goal.

I'm really excited to see your upcoming espresso adventures.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

This is kind of an odd situation, and I'm trying to figure out whether I'm crazy.

We recently got some tomatoes from a neighbor, and without thinking, I stored them on the shelf in my kitchen that also serves as my coffee storage area. I never got around to using the tomatoes, so they got soft and a bit rotten before I threw them away. Now, all of my green coffee beans have a prominent tomato note after roasting, and my hypothesis is that the proximity to the ripening or rotting fruit is to blame. It seems improbable to me that some mysterious tomato gas could penetrate coffee in sealed plastic bags, but the evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

I'm fine with throwing the affected beans out, but I'd like to avoid a similar situation in the future. Has anybody else had issues with green coffee absorbing flavors from other foods?

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 16, 2014

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I store all of my green coffee inside of an airtight lock and lock container. It holds about 15 1lb bags of green coffee and would definitely prevent anything like that from happening.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

TheJeffers posted:

This is kind of an odd situation, and I'm trying to figure out whether I'm crazy.

We recently got some tomatoes from a neighbor, and without thinking, I stored them on the shelf in my kitchen that also serves as my coffee storage area. I never got around to using the tomatoes, so they got soft and a bit rotten before I threw them away. Now, all of my green coffee beans have a prominent tomato note after roasting, and my hypothesis is that the proximity to the ripening or rotting fruit is to blame. It seems improbable to me that some mysterious tomato gas could penetrate coffee in sealed plastic bags, but the evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

I'm fine with throwing the affected beans out, but I'd like to avoid a similar situation in the future. Has anybody else had issues with green coffee absorbing flavors from other foods?

Could be psychosomatic or there might be a faint tomato odor lingering around your kitchen that you smell when you inhale deeply

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yes, green coffee can absorb smells and you need to keep it away from smelly foods.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The Tanz and Mex came in today form Royal Mile/MasterControl. Brewed up a couple cortados with the tanz. Holy poo poo this stuff is good. If you haven't bought this goon's beans yet you're really doing yourself a disservice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dik-dik posted:

The Tanz and Mex came in today form Royal Mile/MasterControl. Brewed up a couple cortados with the tanz. Holy poo poo this stuff is good. If you haven't bought this goon's beans yet you're really doing yourself a disservice.

My order came in today, too. Trip report tomorrow.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

dik-dik posted:

While I'm sort of annoyed by the amount of marketing going on for Royal Mile in this thread, I'm curious - can anyone compare Royal Mile to quality vendors such as Blue Bottle, Four Barrel, Stumptown, Ritual, Intelligentsia, etc?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

My order came in today, too. Trip report tomorrow.

Used the peaberry in my CCD. Excellent, smooth.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

torgeaux posted:

Used the peaberry in my CCD. Excellent, smooth.

Order came in on 9/20, beans were roasted on 9/16 from NJ to Texas. I ordered the Tanzanian Peaberry. The beans are lighter than I normally expect from 'espresso roasted' coffee. I expected I'd have to adjust the poo poo outta my grinder to get a perfect shot. Nope! Threw 16g into my Vario and pressed play - the grinder did its work and showed off the incredible roast - fresh, even colored and bursting with fragrance. The shot was very nice, with a beautiful crema and what I would call a nutty finish. I'm still new at this though.. very nice shot and I'm eager to finish the bag and watch how flavors change as it matures.

Nice job MC!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

AriTheDog posted:

While I'm sort of annoyed by the amount of marketing going on for Royal Mile in this thread, I'm curious - can anyone compare Royal Mile to quality vendors such as Blue Bottle, Four Barrel, Stumptown, Ritual, Intelligentsia, etc?

I've never had the specific high end coffee brands you've mentioned, so I can't really compare, but I would say that I don't think there's any one BEST coffee, just like there's not one best wine. There are a lot of great coffees, wine vintages, etc, appealing to the different tastes that folks have. No two beans or crops are the same, and all we can expect from the artisan is that they impart their craft upon the bean in a way that compliments and improves it.

My recommendation: try different brands / beans / roasts out and see what you like - Royal Mile is run by a goon, so support him if you want! The folks in the thread who have done so have not regretted it... good price and great product.